Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
Roll into the yard at 11:30am and drop our trailers and go in to get paperwork for next load and they are still putting it in the computer. He starts bitching about how the manifests aren't right, they are showing each trailer is 25k. Tells me which one should be heavier so we go out to hook while they get their poo poo straight.

Go to pull the lead put the door and what's this? Bunch of white powder all over the back of the trailer. Go in and tell the loader and he plays it off, so we look and he punctured a 2000 pound pallet of corn starch with the fork lifts. It's also very obvious that he tried to hide it because you could see where he'd wiped some off and put a piece of plywood in front of it to try and block more coming out.

Pallet gets pulled off, they give me my bills and we go scale. 84120 gross, awesome! Called dispatch, tell them what's going on and that the terminal manager will claim the scales are broke but their not. Says ok and calls the terminal manager who feeds him that bs and he believes it. Calls us back and says no it should be ok, If your worried head over to the truck stop and scale. We do, 84360 gross weight.

Get back over and all the dock workers are gone, the office people are acting all surprised that it scaled out that high. One of them had to go out and unload a bunch of crap and put other stuff on. Ended up rolling out of there at 2:45 pm at 79840 gross.

So a little over 3 hours spent on something that should've taken us 30 to 45 minutes tops. The run we do is tight enough that we can't make up time without doing a swap which kills our pay and they rarely have a spare driver in sacramento or portland to meet us anyways. Every single week since March we've had delays caused by stupid bs like this, so by the end of the week we are 4 to 6 hours behind where we should be.

Got back Friday morning and our set is hooked and they have scaled it, gotten tire on dolly fixed and lights fixed. All stuff they've never done before. Still had to take it to the shop to get a dolly tire aired up that was low. Shop tells me it was the fourth straight dolly they brought over that needed repaired so they finally just fixed it instead of making them try a 5th one. They were fully hooking the set each time they tried a new dolly. :D

Someone tell me again why we work here still?

Shadokin fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

InterceptorV8 posted:

Doesn't surprise me, at least for the most part NHP seems to kinda understand that poo poo since they deal with mine trucks and poo poo. You'd think California would get their poo poo together since they have a completely different set of laws for ag hauling than OTR.
I also had one of those ag trucker cases. Massive clusterfuck.
Why would they get their poo poo together? Cops don't get in trouble for illegally arresting people and the award-able damages for it are way, way too low.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

nm posted:

Or, you know, don't drive in socal.
A thousand times this.

There's a spot near Industry where 60 and 57 cross, and if you want to stay on your highway you have to cross 3 lanes of traffic that is trying to get to the lane you are leaving. Blinkers don't mean poo poo.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
poo poo that makes my dick hard.

"Oh we can't find that AC leak, it took us 8 hours and no luck!"

*ac finally pissed out all the magical poo poo, get a neon green UV can of poo poo, pump it in and notice right off the bat the fitting right below the fill fitting is now bubbling neon green poo poo*

How many years would I get if I started waterboarding greasemonkeys with r124a?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

That was 8 hours of sitting on their rear end, not 8 hours of looking for the leak.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man I would've just waved one of those magic AC wands into the engine bay until it beeps. I start with the fittings because that's where it leaks. I'd be surprised if finding that leak would take over 30 seconds.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InterceptorV8 posted:

poo poo that makes my dick hard.

*ac finally pissed out all the magical poo poo, get a neon green UV can of poo poo, pump it in and notice right off the bat the fitting right below the fill fitting is now bubbling neon green poo poo*

How many years would I get if I started waterboarding greasemonkeys with r124a?

A lot, mostly because the EPA wants you to use R134A, not R124A :v:

(I've never heard of an automotive system that uses 124a, though it does exist. Chlorotetrafluoroethane is 124A, regular old tetrafluoroethane is 134A. As a CFC, I believe chlorotetrafluoroethane is not allowed these days. Even R134A is banned in Europe as of the start of the year, they're switching to R1234yf.)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shadokin posted:

Someone tell me again why we work here still?

LoL I'm so glad I work where I work now. "Work as much as you want or as little as you want, run legal or illegal. Just don't loving whine if you get caught or don't make enough money to support your cocaine addiction."

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man I would've just waved one of those magic AC wands into the engine bay until it beeps. I start with the fittings because that's where it leaks. I'd be surprised if finding that leak would take over 30 seconds.

There's a magic A/C wand? I have a car with a leaky A/C right now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yup. Cheapies are in the $20-50 range on Amazon (search for "refrigerant detector")

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CharlesM posted:

There's a magic A/C wand? I have a car with a leaky A/C right now.

http://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-freon-and-halogen-leak-detector-92514.html

BEEP BOOP BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEP BOOOOOOOP :awesomelon:

(we loved playing with the leak detector at the shop I worked in for a while in highschool. It detected farts if used properly so it may or may not have functioned as intended.)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

jonathan posted:

LoL I'm so glad I work where I work now. "Work as much as you want or as little as you want, run legal or illegal. Just don't loving whine if you get caught or don't make enough money to support your cocaine addiction."

Interesting take on that. I wonder if they are a large enough company that they don't give a poo poo about the hit you could inflict on their safety scores if you got caught?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
That sort of operational management seems to explain this very well...

http://www.reddit.com/r/OilfieldFails/

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

That sort of operational management seems to explain this very well...

http://www.reddit.com/r/OilfieldFails/

I dunno, some group of brain trusts sat around in a room and ordered up a fleet of 8 speed, 400 HP trucks with 2.90 rear gears and limited them to 62 miles per hour. I can understand Jim-Bob offroading a man lift 'just cuz' a lot better than the other.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've seen someone stuck like this before.

Hell, i've done it myself but pulled it off because did it at a crossroads cause i'm only half retarded.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

I've seen someone stuck like this before.

Hell, i've done it myself but pulled it off because did it at a crossroads cause i'm only half retarded.

Is it me, or was there enough room behind the trailer to turn it around without completely crossing the road like that?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Totally TWISTED posted:

Interesting take on that. I wonder if they are a large enough company that they don't give a poo poo about the hit you could inflict on their safety scores if you got caught?

At a corporate level ? They audit every log book from every employee. At the field level ? You get fired if you stay strict to hours of service. Welcome to Alberta. In 3 years I have never run through a scale in this province, except for the AB/BC border scale.

Edit: FYI I am not claiming to run illegal or legal. My point is that it's nice to be able to tell dispatch what your next step is, not the other way around.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 6, 2014

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

jonathan posted:

At a corporate level ? They audit every log book from every employee. At the field level ? You get fired if you stay strict to hours of service. Welcome to Alberta. In 3 years I have never run through a scale in this province, except for the AB/BC border scale.

Edit: FYI I am not claiming to run illegal or legal. My point is that it's nice to be able to tell dispatch what your next step is, not the other way around.

I was driving through California and I grabbed a gear and hammered down hard AND HIT 55 then I put it in the big hole and let it fly all the way up to 55 MPH.

DOT regs should be more like the Pirate's Code, not a legal binding set of rules anyway, since everybody keeps loving with them all the time, from time of year to what you haul.

I mean what's the HOS rules for hazmat after you are unloaded your hazmat and now deadheading? And why should it depend on the time of year?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I don't know if this is the place to ask but I'm in the UK and I need a company that will transport 25 tonnes to Germany and back just outside a weekend (deliver Friday before midnight, pickup just before midnight Sunday with a guaranteed 17 hour or less each way), 6 to 15 times a year. I can't find anyone in the UK so I suppose I'm after a European company.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cakefool posted:

I don't know if this is the place to ask but I'm in the UK and I need a company that will transport 25 tonnes to Germany and back just outside a weekend (deliver Friday before midnight, pickup just before midnight Sunday with a guaranteed 17 hour or less each way), 6 to 15 times a year. I can't find anyone in the UK so I suppose I'm after a European company.

I'm rather surprised there aren't any local(ish) to you carriers that are interested in doing this for you. But assuming you've already exhausted your search abilities on that front I would look into a 3PL company to handle your needs. Unfortunately I'm in the US or I would be of more help :)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Schenker still does that sort of thing, I believe.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I'm old and I do not like new trucks.

Every new truck that I've driven is almost worse than the old truck that I have been turning in. I'm also looking dimly at the new engines. And the idiots that spec the trucks. Also SMARTORQUE® is bullshit.

I think I am going to save my nickles and buy a old 12v square body dodge cummins dually and go hotshotting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The problem is that the firstgens got somewhat crummy getrag g360 manuals and great kingpin 60 front axles, while the second gens got great nv4500hd manuals and the worlds worst balljoint 60 front axle.

Get a 92.5-93 with a manual transmission and a cummins (these specific years get you a better front hub lockout system, if you don't care, any firstgen manual cummins is a fine starting point.) Swap an nv4500hd into it. The best truck dodge never made.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Also modern exhaust brakes are much better than the older brakes, and are basically standard. My dad had to go down Black Mountain in NC (5 mile 6% grade) without the Jake because the brake sensor was hosed, and it was hairy. I went down that same grade Friday with a working jake brake and it was easy as pie.

Not anymore, I'm abusing the gently caress out of my service brake now, why? Almost a two second delay before my engine brake kicks on AND the fact that I'm geared to win the Silver State Open Road Challenge, which means my engine isn't spinning enough RPMs for the engine brake to do anything good.

I know it's all fun and games when the office morons spec a truck, but I'm turning barely 1500 rpm and I'm well over the speed limit and the engine brake won't hit hard enough. Add in SMARTORQUE® and my truck falls flat on it's face going up a grade because the big hole is a throwaway gear that you gotta get out of ASAP when hitting a grade (I've lost speed on a barely there flatland rise) and as soon as you are out of the next gear, you're torque limited.

And I can't believe how much DEF I've burned already. I'm going to keep really close tabs on poo poo, because I'm wondering if I got a dud from the factory, or all the singlecam ISX engines worthless, gutless pieces of poo poo, because if you include the fuel and DEF, I got the same mileage as my old truck, that needed 10 matching tires, an alignment, overhead done, and I had a load that was 10,000 pounds light going out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The new mack econodynes run 2.66 rear gears to turn at 1100 RPM at 60mph.

Live slow, die whenever, i guess.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

The new mack econodynes run 2.66 rear gears to turn at 1100 RPM at 60mph.

Live slow, die whenever, i guess.

I bet those start losing speed just smelling a molehill 50 miles away. Yeah yeah max torque at 2 rpms blah blah I read that poo poo too, but holy hell, the mileage suffers because the engine is always straining.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
What exactly is SmartTorque supposed to do?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

A Melted Tarp posted:

What exactly is SmartTorque supposed to do?

Give you 200 MORE TORKZ in the top two gears!

Problem is, if your top cog is a throwaway, and you have to drop one to get any kind of power to go up a hill, that means you only have one usable gear of max torque.

gently caress it, not my truck, not my problem, I'll just burn up a set of service brakes sooner than I did on my last truck. Hell, I've never burned up a set of service brakes in a truck, I mean, I've been getting over 350,000+ miles on a set of brakes...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

In other news, a coffee company that shall remain nameless even though they are on every street corner hosed up somehow and thanks to lumpers and a coffee company, I now have a couple hundred dollars in free coffee.

:henget:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Free damaged goods are a wonderful thing.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Javid posted:

Yeah the muffinheads loaded the trailer with a loadlock and it fell on their product.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Hey truck drivers, have you ever seen any roller floor loading system in a trailer before? After working around Air Force planes for awhile and watching them push and pull cargo out of the back on their roller systems I was wondering if a similar system existed for trucks. Google didn't come up with much but I'd think loading and unloading times would be pretty quick if you could back up to a dock and pull the entire contents of the trailer out of the truck in a few seconds. Would the cost of the hardware not justify the savings in time or what?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think that ive seen talk of a "walking" floor that lifts, shifts, drops, lifts, shifts, drops etc. To push goods out of trucks.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Hey truck drivers, have you ever seen any roller floor loading system in a trailer before? After working around Air Force planes for awhile and watching them push and pull cargo out of the back on their roller systems I was wondering if a similar system existed for trucks. Google didn't come up with much but I'd think loading and unloading times would be pretty quick if you could back up to a dock and pull the entire contents of the trailer out of the truck in a few seconds. Would the cost of the hardware not justify the savings in time or what?

I'm not a trucker but videos of that have been posted in the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiXIYtIFMyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBxHzNEK8oQ

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

We use rollerbeds similar to this for some of our FedEx lanes:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I think the problem with rollers or the walking floor systems is cost. There are so many god damned trailers out there, anything to add to the cost of one is probably pretty hard to justify. I would think a roller system would also pose additional problems with securing cargo, as it would need to be strapped in place to prevent it from rolling around, or have the rollers retract below the floor, which adds expense. Palletized freight in a closed trailer is not usually attached to the floor in any way.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 25, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Javid posted:

Well get yourself to Missoula!

http://missoulian.com/news/local/pounds-of-rotting-chickens-abandoned-at-missoula-wye/article_8eede91e-4424-11e4-83fe-03d0b971b00d.html

Missoulian posted:

35,000 pounds of rotting chickens abandoned at Missoula Wye

WYE – A big white trailer parked at a truck stop isn’t likely to turn heads, unless it’s been sitting there for days, dripping the juices of rotting chickens and attracting flies. Missoula County sheriff’s deputies discovered the 53-foot trailer at Town Pump’s Flying J truck stop Tuesday. Owned by Dixie River Freight in Nampa, Idaho, the trailer is loaded with 35,000 pounds of raw chicken valued at $80,000. And the chicken is turning rancid.

On Wednesday, Paige Pavalone, public information officer for the Missoula County Sheriff’s Office, said the truck and trailer were reported stolen within the past few days by Dixie River Freight. The trucker, a Dixie River employee, had texted his company saying he’d return the chicken in exchange for ransom money. When the company declined, the suspect abandoned the trailer at the Flying J and left in the rig. The truck was reported stolen, but the trailer wasn’t entered into the national database, leaving deputies to discover it by happenstance this week.

Pavalone said the local sheriff’s office is acting as the recovering agency, so does not know if the suspect had been located. Calls to the Nampa Police Department weren’t returned Wednesday. “I noticed (the trailer) sitting there when I came out Saturday,” said Crystal Friede, manager of the truck stop. “I keep an eye on how long trucks have been sitting there. You need to know if someone’s in the truck. In this case, it’s chicken.” The truck was abandoned on the asphalt pad north of Flying J. There, the chicken juice dripped from the container, staining the ground with a gooey red and translucent liquid.

The flies had gathered around the juices in the 90-degree heat and a faint odor of rotting meat wafted in the air. Friede said county health officials visited the truck stop Wednesday searching for a way to discard the rotting carcasses. The trailer hasn’t been opened or moved since its discovery, and it’s unknown how the chickens are packaged. “They’re dripping all over the ground,” Friede said. “It’s turning colors out there. I didn’t know chicken was red.”
http://missoulian.com/news/local/missoula-health-officer-no-easy-fix-for-semi-full-of/article_6f9f92d2-44cf-11e4-afa2-5755e41e72a4.html

Missoulian posted:

Missoula health officer: No easy fix for semi full of rotten chicken

WYE - The roughly 37,000 pounds of rotting chicken in a semi trailer at the Wye may be a little harder to get rid of than originally hoped.

“It’s not as simple as you would think,” Missoula City-County Health Department specialist Alisha Johnson said on Thursday morning. “You can’t just back up a truck to it and dump it.”

Flying J truck stop workers noticed the abandoned trailer on Saturday, but didn’t know its contents. On Wednesday, Missoula County sheriff’s deputies learned the Dixie River trailer had been reported stolen earlier in the week after its driver allegedly tried to hold it for ransom money. Dixie River officials declined to pay, and the driver abandoned the trailer at the truck stop. By Wednesday, the formerly frozen chicken parts had melted and gooey red liquid was dripping out of the trailer. The 90-degree weather contributed to the smell and the cloud of flies surrounding the truck.

Johnson said Dixie River’s insurance company was in charge of cleaning the mess. Its agents arrived on Thursday to figure out a plan for disposal. “That involves getting the landfill prepared for receiving the load,” Johnson said. “They’ll probably have to dig a separate hole for this. There’s a possibility of re-freezing the trailer, but that could make it harder to off-load it if it’s frozen together.” Johnson said the insurance agents were able to look through a porthole in the trailer and determine it was filled except for the last five feet of space. The load has an estimated value of $80,000.

Guys it's free chicken, just there for the taking. Also a bold move from the driver for trying to ransom the load.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So nobody has had the brilliant idea to refuel the reefer and kick the can down the road a few days?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's in the article but they also realized it'd be frozen to the floor then.

My solution would involve having a trailer shaped hole dug at the dump, refreezing it, and simply backing it into the hole. Maybe take the wheels/tires/brakes/axles/reefer unit off. gently caress it, you guys want the trailer? All yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Well yes, but keeping the reefer fueled indefinitely instead of actually moving it or addressing the problem in any permanent way sounds exactly like a governmental decision.

Dump the load in the ocean, it won't even reach the bottom. Give the trailer a good cleaning and there you are.

• Locked thread