Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
ah gently caress it easier to just say "wrong" ^

les fleurs du mall fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Quickscope420dad posted:

I have a floyd rose and I love the gently caress out of it compared to my other trems so your aspergers tirade won't de-convert me but nice try!

also lol at "pete townsend has always been known for impeccable taste" wonder if you're including his taste for kids in that
I don't think I'm the one having troubles with interpretation here.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Verizian posted:

This reminds me, Febreze wouldn't hurt a poly finish on cheap guitars right?

God can't hurt those finishes. Nitromors is the only stuff I've found that will take it off, even then it's a pain in the rear end.

Schpyder posted:

get some giant googly eyes instead

I already have some. I can't even remember why I brought them now.

Sockington posted:

Since you've got your workshop back, you can do more elaborate fuckery.

Have you thought about making your own JEM with monkey grip and the drapes of your choice glued onto it?

The Yamaha GEM.

I loving hate superstrat/JEM/Ibanez steve vai wankathon 777777777 guitars. The necks are too thin, the pointy bits always get dinged and most people who like them are generally insufferable assholes who spend all day twiddling with the knobs on their amp instead of playing.

Gonna put a monkey-grip AND a glory hole on the goon-tar just to spite them.

Cartoon posted:

Floyd Rose hate

Eh, Floyd-Rose trems have their place. Some players are super-heavy handed and trigger happy with their whammying, a strat-trem can't take that sort of punishment, the screw holes that the bridge pivots on get larger and eventually they just because useless.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

That thing's crazy, but OTOH I've always had some weird affection for olden-days country stars who just loved to have their names as fret inlays

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
would put something cool as my fretboard inlay. Like Odysseus. So fuckin rad

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Dewgy posted:

if it's just a plain effects pedal that in and of itself is neat enough, just means i wouldn't get to use it with the midi out

also i just realized i probably have all but one piece i need to use my rock band pro guitar as a midi controller, sure as hell beats playing pro rock band guitar (i was so excited for that, then it was... not very good :smith: hooray rocksmith for picking up the slack)

Since you brought it up, I have to ask, is that thing playable at all if you understand guitar? I bought one cheaply and find it rather uncomfortable to try to play, granted I know nothing about guitar. I always thought you were supposed to press at the frets instead of in between them like the fretboard is laid out, and moving my fingers up and down the fretboard just feels bad. Plus, the goofiest noises come from it when you pluck the strings loudly enough to hear them. Also, it sends a 'note off' whenever you release a fret button or press one on an open string.

I basically poked at the thing for fifteen minutes in Rock Band and decided they didn't have their whole LEARN TO PLAY GUITAR thing quite right.

Aoi-chan fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 9, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aoi-chan posted:

Since you brought it up, I have to ask, is that thing playable at all if you understand guitar? I bought one cheaply and find it rather uncomfortable to try to play, granted I know nothing about guitar. I always thought you were supposed to press at the frets instead of in between them like the fretboard is laid out, and moving my fingers up and down the fretboard just feels bad. Plus, the goofiest noises come from it when you pluck the strings loudly enough to hear them. Also, it sends a 'note off' whenever you release a fret button or press one on an open string.

i never really found it all that playable, no, though i can probably have some fun with it as a midi controller; knowing the guitar's layout offhand may help but i doubt it's going to be all that great of an instrument

rock band's pro modes (drums being an easy exception) were kind of disappointing because there was next to no feedback other than "you got it wrong" on a bad note, the keyboard just chunks a non-note and the guitar just does the usual plastic guitar fuckup honk

rocksmith is infinitely better if just because when you gently caress up you can hear how you're doing it wrong, which is so much more helpful

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Tone rocks. God. loving. Dammit.

Also the other problem with that photo is an LDC close mic'ed to a guitar cab.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 9, 2014

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Jesus Christ Marie, they're tone minerals

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
$166 for an off cut gently caress me, as an ex stone mason I assure you that you could make about 5 of those an hour including drilling and glueing metal threads in. From bits that get thrown in the skip.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

White Dog Eggs dude you need to get yourself a rock tumbler

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I don't think this was in this thread yet. it should be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSRgkdoK19A

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Right, but is that a tone comb?

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

Not only is his name on his guitar, his guitar with his name on it is on his jacket. Four times!

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

May have been discussed already but iostream.h, you are going to make sure the unveiling is filmed and uploaded to youtube right?

Sadly I'm a little late to the 30-fret discussion but a friend who doesn't normally like guitars linked this to me as a guitar he liked a few days back. I'm uh, throwing it to you guys:

The maker said this on their facebook page:

Amfisound posted:

The guitar features an ebony top and back. The finish is made of REAL gold.
I assume from that and the thickness that it's chambered, but even so it still has to be heavy enough to balance out a 30 Fret, 8 String neck, and that headstock, if it's going to avoid severe neck dive.

They also do Viking-inspired stuff (which I'll be honest, I kinda like):

And more, er, abstract things:

Oh and while flicking through their gallery of "extreme" models I also found this:

Cartoon posted:

Pete Townsend has always been know for impeccable taste (Rick from Cheap Trick has one too). Makes me wonder whether White Dogs Eggs used to work for Guild.
Guild put out some real ugly guitars, but they were also pretty drat good at making them - a 70's Guild S-90 (a very slightly wonky SG) is one of the nicest guitars I've played.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

th1nk posted:

May have been discussed already but iostream.h, you are going to make sure the unveiling is filmed and uploaded to youtube right?

Sadly I'm a little late to the 30-fret discussion but a friend who doesn't normally like guitars linked this to me as a guitar he liked a few days back. I'm uh, throwing it to you guys:

The maker said this on their facebook page:

I assume from that and the thickness that it's chambered, but even so it still has to be heavy enough to balance out a 30 Fret, 8 String neck, and that headstock, if it's going to avoid severe neck dive.

Urrrrghhhh. Looks like something Karl Sanders would buy (ps Karl Sanders has fat sausage fingers and gets mad when you don't know who he is).

th1nk posted:

They also do Viking-inspired stuff (which I'll be honest, I kinda like):

That is awesome. I love the rough-looking wood.

Dec 26, 2012

th1nk posted:

lol he looks so lost

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That Egyptian guitar better come with a sarcophagus as a case.

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

th1nk posted:

Guild put out some real ugly guitars, but they were also pretty drat good at making them - a 70's Guild S-90 (a very slightly wonky SG) is one of the nicest guitars I've played.

Hey! Thats Chris Holmes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qNOWn4wYCs

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

Urrrrghhhh. Looks like something Karl Sanders would buy (ps Karl Sanders has fat sausage fingers and gets mad when you don't know who he is).

frets aren't scalloped though

also lol at him getting mad about not being recognized

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

White Dog Eggs posted:

The only reason I know his name is from him coming up a couple times in this thread, and because a couple of people mentioned his name in comments etc I came across while looking for more info on that guitar (as far as I can tell, though, it isn't his). From what I have seen, were I Karl Sanders I would probably not want to be recognised as such.

quote:

That is awesome. I love the rough-looking wood.

They do a bunch of stuff like that, though I'm not 100% sure whether it's the wood and not just a fancy paintjob - they do have some fairly complex paintjobs on some of their guitars, and it would be kind of uncomfortable, especially in the case of this neck:

I hope it's real, though
(Also you should etch (perhaps burn, if possible?) TONE into the back of the goontar's neck)

01011001 posted:

lol he looks so lost

(The facebook caption for the first picture is "CHRIS HOLMES: GOODBYE AMERICA. HELLO FINLAND!", so you might be onto something there.)

Their artist page lists him being from the band "Big Ball Stars", so that was all I really needed to know to be honest, but I enjoyed the video.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Sockington posted:

There's a few vocal processors out there with a Satan voice filter already in there. I wonder how they'd deal with a bass input. :science:

BigHustle posted:

I have a Digitech Vocal 300 and access to a killer bass rig. I'll try and get a recording at band practice on Monday.

It did nothing other than make the normal bass sound like it was being filtered through a box full of poo poo water and gravel, but not in a good way.

On the other hand, some off the effects that have a lot of high end and sound shrill and brittle add vocal effects sounded great when combined with the bass, so my basis may start using it when our free jazz noise improv band plays.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

skudmunky posted:

Not only is his name on his guitar, his guitar with his name on it is on his jacket. Four times!

Nudie suits are awesome and very much of this thread.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Holy poo poo. Of all the guys to survive the Sunset Strip era of metal, he looks the worst.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

frets aren't scalloped though

also lol at him getting mad about not being recognized

The only reason he has scalloped frets is because it means there is more room on the fretboard for his adult-sized baby fingers.

I met him ages ago at a show in Birmingham (about 2003 maybe? I don't think Nile were the main act), I went up to the bar to order a drink and this long haired guy next to me says "I guess you'll want an autograph then"

"Ummm okay........ Who are you?"

"Dude, why bother even coming to the show if you don't even know who I loving am??? You loving kids are pathetic, loving.... *stares at my Cradle of Filth t-shirt* go listen to your Cradle of human being"

got my drinks, went back to my friends then some guy with a camera asks me what I said to Karl Sanders because "he's got a face like you just pissed on his granny".

One of the cool things about Metal gigs is that it's stupidly easy to meet the band members.

phone posting so sorry if there is any spelling mistakes

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Still needs a bit of cleaning up around the edges, but...

Picture doesn't show it, but this stuff sparkles like crazy, I think the proper name is chameleon finish? It's a bit like a foil sticker I guess.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

White Dog Eggs posted:

'Huh, who's this Karl Sanders dude oh look Nile Egyptian metal that sounds like fun hey Youtube let's see oh cool *click* what's this...' :stonklol:

And seriously, you can't mention Chris Holmes (briefly married to Lita Ford, of all people) without the pool interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qKlZELdJh8

I used to enjoy W.A.S.P. a lot, seriously, if you're a kid growing up in the 80's how can you not love a sawblade codpiece with fireworks?
Have some Ghoulies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtklmV1GB4E

Edit: ^^^^ Oh my God. It's like the sound a bass boat makes when it vomits.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 9, 2014

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

White Dog Eggs posted:

Picture doesn't show it, but this stuff sparkles like crazy, I think the proper name is chameleon finish? It's a bit like a foil sticker I guess.

two inches to the right of the E, around the area of the pointy shapey part of the body, make an indent, line it with alluminium and make a little cigarette-stubbing area

W424
Oct 21, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

Comic sans? I applaud your excellent taste.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

White Dog Eggs posted:

Jeezus

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quickscope420dad posted:

two inches to the right of the E, around the area of the pointy shapey part of the body, make an indent, line it with alluminium and make a little cigarette-stubbing area

That's where the MYSTERY ACTIVE EQ battery is going (I took it out of a brand new bass because the owner hated active pickups). Thing is, I've got no idea what this EQ actually does. It looks like two eq's, a blend and a master volume, but that's just going on the pot values, won't know until I put it in, but more knobs = more tone, right?

W424 posted:

As it was requested, so shall it be.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

White Dog Eggs posted:

That's where the MYSTERY ACTIVE EQ battery is going (I took it out of a brand new bass because the owner hated active pickups). Thing is, I've got no idea what this EQ actually does. It looks like two eq's, a blend and a master volume, but that's just going on the pot values, won't know until I put it in, but more knobs = more tone, right?
Hey uhh, I could have PM'd this but figured I'd ask here...

That EQ does have a battery status LED, right? :D

I also realized that for a GBS GEETAR we're sorely lacking in Slenderman references.
How am I going to be inspired to kill someone screaming for moar FREEBYRD without Slenderman?

Or Cthulhu. I loving love Cthulhu.

One or the other in sparkly green, right behind the bridge I think...

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Your dumb poo poo is the best dumb poo poo.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

White Dog Eggs posted:

My bass has active pickups and they're great but god drat the batteries are a pain. "yeah yeah yeah this bass riff is sweet" *battery dies* "yeah yeah yeah this bass riff is now just fart noises"

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

Hey uhh, I could have PM'd this but figured I'd ask here...

That EQ does have a battery status LED, right? :D

No battery status indicator at all actually! I could rig up a simple led warning if you'd like, I could even do one with a bleeper, but you might hate me if I do that.

Basically something like this but built into the guitar (you'll be able to detect scary ghosts too, which comes in handy when you are playing a gig),
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuv6iuhyReY.

iostream.h posted:

I also realized that for a GBS GEETAR we're sorely lacking in Slenderman references.
How am I going to be inspired to kill someone screaming for moar FREEBYRD without Slenderman?

Or Cthulhu. I loving love Cthulhu.

One or the other in sparkly green, right behind the bridge I think...

I could probably work something out on my own... However if you are feeling brave we could ask if someone in the thread wouldn't mind drawing something that I can print out and stick on?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

White Dog Eggs posted:

I could probably work something out on my own... However if you are feeling brave we could ask if someone in the thread wouldn't mind drawing something that I can print out and stick on?

I might have a go at something; i can't remember, is there any kind of decal on the head atm? If not can you post a photo of just the head?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quickscope420dad posted:

I might have a go at something; i can't remember, is there any kind of decal on the head atm? If not can you post a photo of just the head?

There isn't anything on the headstock other than a badly faded "B" from my second attempt at writing "Bender" on it in marker pen.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

White Dog Eggs posted:

There isn't anything on the headstock other than a badly faded "B" from my second attempt at writing "Bender" on it in marker pen.

That needs to be painted like a bald eagle head for America.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

White Dog Eggs posted:

Magnificent. Now no one can deny the tones that will come out of this machine.

TONE. Part of me thinks you need a ridiculous knob next to it that has no function. Just so the guy who buys it and gets murdered in the south can yell 'LET ME TURN UP THE TONE' and make a really exaggerated sweeping motion as he turns it up.

W424 posted:

Comic sans is tone font.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

unlawfulsoup posted:

TONE. Part of me thinks you need a ridiculous knob next to it that has no function. Just so the guy who buys it and gets murdered in the south can yell 'LET ME TURN UP THE TONE' and make a really exaggerated sweeping motion as he turns it up.

Make it a volume nob ranging from 1-10, but its maximum volume is at 5 and turning it in either direction away from 5 just silences the guitar

• Locked thread