Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

ilifinicus posted:

Isn't that a Final Fantasy trope though? Not knowing what you can do against the enemy and what you can prevent them from doing without trial and error and loss in the process until you figure it out?

I'd call that less of a trope, but moreso "design that dates back to the 1990s." I don't think that's any sort of thing that needs to be defended to the death because Final Fantasy does it this way. There might be other arguments, but that seems like a strange one to me.

edit: Specific boss fights notwithstanding. Something like the Magus Sisters, absolutely. Something like "what random mobs can I/can't I silence" doesn't quite fit, IMO.

(when are we getting a Magus Sisters boss, sqex)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ilifinicus posted:

Isn't that a Final Fantasy trope though? Not knowing what you can do against the enemy and what you can prevent them from doing without trial and error and loss in the process until you figure it out?

Yeah but this is an MMO in the year 2014 and generally you need more information than bare minimum. You go through so many bosses and encounters so quickly that there's not much point in trying to remember any of it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Azubah posted:

Invisibility + X-Zone should be in the game.

Sketch :getin:

Also generally FF games give you Scan/Libra to tell you what an enemy is vulnerable to. Or a strategy guide. Unless it's FF9 and it's "For more information, see PlayOnline" fuckshit.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
If they want it to have Final Fantasy flavor, make a quest that unlocks Libra. It's a global, all-class action like Dig, except you use it in combat as a GCD and it shows the monster's status vulnerabilities in the chat log.

DoTs do NOT tick for damage while a boss is untargetable, right? (Meteor Stream, etc.) I think Belzac might have said something about it once but I've had him on ignore forever. After grinding T9 phases 1 and 2 a million times, the mind turns to questions of this ilk.

e:god loving dammit, beaten to libra

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
My first two alex maps were both the Morbol map and at the time I didn't know you could interrupt Bad Breath. :negative: After that I switched to doing all my maps as SCH and it pretty much trivialized them all.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

The other fun way to do Morbol maps - the root is removed if you take damage, so aggro something nearby. It will keep hitting you for 50 damage or whatever and free you.

Just be careful with AoEs. Having that level 10 sprite die to Shadow Flare sucks :v:

(Also they should really indicate if you can interrupt on the cast bar or something)

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

My first time doing it I didn't know about the bind+breath, so I just took it and had the bird heal me through it (and the next one). After that it was trivial, I don't even have to save stuns, I start off with one so I can impulse drive.

The 2 maps I've ever failed was the bomb adds where I just waited for them to come to me and once where I died to 3x drake breath because of lag + jump lock.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

kirbysuperstar posted:

Unless it's FF9 and it's "For more information, see PlayOnline" fuckshit.

That loving strategy guide. I remember getting that along with my copy of the game as a gift. I have never possessed a bigger waste of paper in my life. If I recall, the website barely worked, to boot. I'm glad those days are past us.

Also the best scan-like ability was clearly FF4 Cid's "peep". What an awkward name.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What I'd like to know is a way to figure out if an enemy's attacks are considered physical or magical. Like Titan: are his attacks "earth magic" or "physical attacks"? Is Foresight useful for anything during the bigger fights besides autoattack damage? I MUST KNOW.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

pksage posted:

DoTs do NOT tick for damage while a boss is untargetable, right? (Meteor Stream, etc.) I think Belzac might have said something about it once but I've had him on ignore forever. After grinding T9 phases 1 and 2 a million times, the mind turns to questions of this ilk.

Much like the silence discussion I believe this is one of those things which varies depending on the boss fight. I'm pretty sure Leviathan, for instance, will keep ticking damage when he's diving across the arena, and Titan might tick damage as well during jumps but it's been too long since I've done that fight (thank loving God). I believe that Nael won't take damage when she's untargetable, though.

Although this is all experience from eyeballing it I haven't opened a parser and checked exact numbers to confirm so I could be wrong here. In most cases it's not going to have that much of an effect.

Jay Rust posted:

What I'd like to know is a way to figure out if an enemy's attacks are considered physical or magical. Like Titan: are his attacks "earth magic" or "physical attacks"? Is Foresight useful for anything during the bigger fights besides autoattack damage? I MUST KNOW.

You can (very slowly) determine this by having a BLM use manawall and see what gets blocked and what doesn't. It blocks Twintania's dive-bombs but not fireball; it blocks Titan's Landslide but not Weights; it blocks the Avatar's Homing Missile but not the tower's Defensive Reaction or Landmines (and Manaward reduces landmine damage so they're clearly magical). Stuff like that.

Foresight is useful in the sense that after you die you can comfort yourself with the knowledge because hey, at least you hit foresight so you clearly ran through all your CDs doing everything you could.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Meiteron posted:

You can (very slowly) determine this by having a BLM use manawall and see what gets blocked and what doesn't. It blocks Twintania's dive-bombs but not fireball; it blocks Titan's Landslide but not Weights; it blocks the Avatar's Homing Missile but not the tower's Defensive Reaction or Landmines (and Manaward reduces landmine damage so they're clearly magical). Stuff like that.

Foresight is useful in the sense that after you die you can comfort yourself with the knowledge because hey, at least you hit foresight so you clearly ran through all your CDs doing everything you could.

yeah see you could do a bunch of grindy 90's jrpg bullshit or they could fix the interface a bit which, imo, is the biggest detriment in the game right now.

Looking at you, crafting UI. Lemme click a material and if it's craftable go to the page it's on, thanks.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

yeah see you could do a bunch of grindy 90's jrpg bullshit or they could fix the interface a bit which, imo, is the biggest detriment in the game right now.

Looking at you, crafting UI. Lemme click a material and if it's craftable go to the page it's on, thanks.

Right-click > Show in Crafting Log would be kinda neat.

laststandb
Jul 31, 2014

DizzyBum posted:

Right-click > Show in Crafting Log would be kinda neat.

Please no, scrolling through giant right click menus are annoying on the controller.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

Yeah but this is an MMO in the year 2014 and generally you need more information than bare minimum. You go through so many bosses and encounters so quickly that there's not much point in trying to remember any of it.
That's the thing though - they're trying to maintain that Final Fantasy feel while appealing to the MMORPG public. I'm not saying it's a good idea to do so, but they are definitely doing just that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ilifinicus posted:

All Alexandrite maps are soloable and any issue you have with them is explained in that you don't know the mechanics of that specific map and its mobs.

Or you're just bad.

After failing the first map as an i100+ monk I just resolved to bring a pal along for the rest. Because why risk it unless you are a sad lonely person who has no friends to play an MMO with? Just help them out with their maps or atmas or whatever when they need it.

I didn't know you could just stop punching Bombast, which I guess would have made him pretty easy.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ilifinicus posted:

That's the thing though - they're trying to maintain that Final Fantasy feel while appealing to the MMORPG public. I'm not saying it's a good idea to do so, but they are definitely doing just that.

Yeah, I know. It's a neat idea on paper, but datamining in WoW pretty much opened Pandora's box and now you're expected to know everything about a dungeon before setting foot in it. It's not a problem with goon groups, but it's sucky that it's one more thing I have to worry about as a fresh tank in dungeons.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Robo Reagan posted:

Yeah, I know. It's a neat idea on paper, but datamining in WoW pretty much opened Pandora's box and now you're expected to know everything about a dungeon before setting foot in it. It's not a problem with goon groups, but it's sucky that it's one more thing I have to worry about as a fresh tank in dungeons.

People in FF14 get just as angry whenever someone is new, maybe moreso because being new is a huge detriment to others. The lack of information and feedback from the game (especially with regards to your performance, or inconsistent game mechanics) means players have to go to out of game sites and do a bunch of reading or get told what to do from another player. I'd say WoW is at least an order of magnitude more forgiving of people going in blind to dungeons and raids.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Experimentation and variability is what makes this game fun and enjoyable.

In WoW every boss, from dungeon to raid has one correct way to perform the fight and any contrary opinion is wrong.

In XIV nearly every end game raid boss has at least 3 strategies for every phase of the fight with people often mixing and matching.

And also it's more fun to try things out and see what happens. One day One Ilm Punch will be useful.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Belzac posted:

Experimentation and variability is what makes this game fun and enjoyable.

In WoW every boss, from dungeon to raid has one correct way to perform the fight and any contrary opinion is wrong.

In XIV nearly every end game raid boss has at least 3 strategies for every phase of the fight with people often mixing and matching.

And also it's more fun to try things out and see what happens. One day One Ilm Punch will be useful.

I call this the Right Way and the Fun Way.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Speaking of weirdly missing things in the game, why the poo poo can't we right click an item and search for it on the marketboards? It's so annoying to manually search up items, if I have like 8 things to sell I always have to grab some paper and write poo poo down.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ouhei posted:

if I have like 8 things to sell I always have to grab some paper and write poo poo down.

When you have your retainer open and are selecting things to sell, when you're choosing price and quantity, there's a button on that sub-screen that shows you current prices (and you can get historical data from that too because it's just like searching the MB). No need for all that nonsense.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ouhei posted:

Speaking of weirdly missing things in the game, why the poo poo can't we right click an item and search for it on the marketboards? It's so annoying to manually search up items, if I have like 8 things to sell I always have to grab some paper and write poo poo down.

When you're getting your retainer to sell an item there's a button that'll show the ones currently available on the marketboard. :ssh:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ouhei posted:

I was going to post to point out you can check both current prices and price history in the process of selling things, but it looks like I've been beaten to that at least twice (and possibly more by the time I hit post).

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

Azubah posted:

I call this the Right Way and the Fun Way.

But what about the Gong Way?

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Sacro posted:

People in FF14 get just as angry whenever someone is new, maybe moreso because being new is a huge detriment to others. The lack of information and feedback from the game (especially with regards to your performance, or inconsistent game mechanics) means players have to go to out of game sites and do a bunch of reading or get told what to do from another player. I'd say WoW is at least an order of magnitude more forgiving of people going in blind to dungeons and raids.

Of course anything like this is anecdotal but my experience in XIV (as a tank) has been that people are hugely understanding if you just say at the beginning of whatever content that you haven't done it before. I had the total opposite experience in WoW, and that was as DPS, which generally does not need to know fights as well.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

dangersandwich posted:

But what about the Gong Way?

The world isn't ready for that Way yet.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

ReWinter posted:

Of course anything like this is anecdotal but my experience in XIV (as a tank) has been that people are hugely understanding if you just say at the beginning of whatever content that you haven't done it before. I had the total opposite experience in WoW, and that was as DPS, which generally does not need to know fights as well.

It really depends on the content and how you go about it. If at the beginning of a low-level trial or dungeon you go "Sorry guys, first time here, what do I need to know?" I have no problem explaining how the fights will work. If you show up in a T5 clear group, don't say anything, and then in all caps yell "WTF ONE-SHOT BULLSHIT" when you die to fireballs cause you ran away from the group, that's a different matter.

Generally any content that can't be easily explained in a single sentence and where a single player can wipe the group is something you should not go into blind, simply as a courtesy to the other 3-7 people who have to put up with you.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
So I'm needing to get a laptop and I would like to be able to play ARR on it when I'm not at home but I don't really know much about buying laptops. I don't want to get a super expensive gaming laptop but I would like to be able to run this decently well, does anyone have any examples of machines I should look at UKwise?

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 9, 2014

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ActionZero posted:

So I'm needing to get a laptop and I would like to be able to play ARR on it when I'm not at home but I don't really know much about buying laptops. I don't want to get a super expensive gaming laptop but I would like to be able to run this decently well, does anyone have any examples of machines I should look at?

I just bought a Lenovo Y40 which I got set up yesterday, it's not a behemoth by any means but it is thin and runs cool and I no longer have any stuttering or lag or people wondering why my character looks like he is running in place.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
FFXIV is pretty well optimized, I have a 5 year old midrange laptop that handles literally every content in the game other than Titan and Levi EX. Pretty much any mid range laptop you can find that has a discrete graphics card will be able to play the game just fine.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ilifinicus posted:

Oh, that's the thing. Bad Breath from overworld Morbols can't be silenced.

Only the one from Alexandrite maps.

Because you're not supposed to be screwed over by being one specific class for those maps.
On the same note, Void Thunder can be dodged by running behind the caster and out of LOS, just like BLM spells!

.... Except on the final boss of Haukke Hard, where this doesn't work anymore for no particular reason. She just spins aorund and whacks you with it anyway.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bonewitch posted:

It really depends on the content and how you go about it. If at the beginning of a low-level trial or dungeon you go "Sorry guys, first time here, what do I need to know?" I have no problem explaining how the fights will work. If you show up in a T5 clear group, don't say anything, and then in all caps yell "WTF ONE-SHOT BULLSHIT" when you die to fireballs cause you ran away from the group, that's a different matter.

Generally any content that can't be easily explained in a single sentence and where a single player can wipe the group is something you should not go into blind, simply as a courtesy to the other 3-7 people who have to put up with you.

First time I did Darkhold I was kind of blown back by my group rushing me to pull the first quarter of the dungeon RIGHT NOW, even after I explained its my first time. Mostly though my experiences have been pretty good, people on average seem a little more relaxed and sociable than your standard WoW player and even when I've occasionally overpulled or Stood in the Bad Place people have been pretty chill and forgiving. Still have DPS who have no conception at all of boss mechanics and will gladly plink away at boss whilst the group gets mauled by adds so I guess some things never change wherever you go though :)

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

On the same note, Void Thunder can be dodged by running behind the caster and out of LOS, just like BLM spells!

.... Except on the final boss of Haukke Hard, where this doesn't work anymore for no particular reason. She just spins aorund and whacks you with it anyway.

Likewise, if you ever end up with tam tara in low level roulette, are the tank, and feel like doing a little dancing, you can line of sight every single water cast by the mindflayer. The rest of the group may look at you funny though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Velthice posted:

Likewise, if you ever end up with tam tara in low level roulette, are the tank, and feel like doing a little dancing, you can line of sight every single water cast by the mindflayer. The rest of the group may look at you funny though.

Considering how easy it is to take those hits surely you're making the encounter harder by loving up your melee DPSs' rotations?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Pugilists, maybe. Lancers only have to hit heavy thrust and that's a side move, then they can just spam full->vorpal and not use impulse drive. Alternatively, you only have ranged DPS or something.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

ActionZero posted:

So I'm needing to get a laptop and I would like to be able to play ARR on it when I'm not at home but I don't really know much about buying laptops. I don't want to get a super expensive gaming laptop but I would like to be able to run this decently well, does anyone have any examples of machines I should look at UKwise?

I'm a fan of ASUS laptops. Before my new build (discussed a few dozen pages back) I had this toaster, released in 2009: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-G72GX-RBBX05-Notebook-PC/dp/B003OFFZ94/

It's a workhorse that managed a stable 24 FPS with the lowest graphics settings (~15 in Mor Donuts), but would always take up to a minute to zone even after replacing the 5400 RPM laptop HDD with a 7200 RPM one. The C2D processor is a bad bottleneck. Still, the best thing about it is that it's a really good trainer to learn how to pre-dodge attacks in Titan EX. :v:

Most modern laptops should be able to handle this game, given that it has a current- or last-gen processor and dedicated graphics. In terms of build quality I'd recommend ASUS, Lenovo, Toshiba, and MSI. Here's a newegg power search to give you an idea of the price range: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ICE&PageSize=20

tl;dr I would look at straight-up CPU processing power, and compare the graphics processing power against the laptop's max resolution (higher res = more demanding graphics). You're most likely going to have to run the game on low-medium settings.

edit: it's also worth checking out the goon laptop thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651&pagenumber=1

dangersandwich fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 9, 2014

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kyrosiris posted:

When you have your retainer open and are selecting things to sell, when you're choosing price and quantity, there's a button on that sub-screen that shows you current prices (and you can get historical data from that too because it's just like searching the MB). No need for all that nonsense.

Oh, wow, I feel so dumb now.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
On the subject of performance, what could be the cause of slow zone loading times? Given that it's extremely slow when porting to crowded zones, would it be graphics card related?

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

rawrr posted:

On the subject of performance, what could be the cause of slow zone loading times? Given that it's extremely slow when porting to crowded zones, would it be graphics card related?

- slow hard drive and/or you installed the game on a really full partition
- low processing power
- low graphics power
- internet: high latency or low bandwidth (the latter unlikely)

the game does a fair job of culling objects when loading into a crowded zone, which means you can load into the zone even when the game is still streaming in objects, but loading the zone itself is mostly dependent on local resources (the first three bullets above).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

bonewitch posted:

Yeah, most everything up to Extreme Trials and Coil can be explained in one sentence. I'd say though that even now, First Coil has reached the point where you can mostly bullshit your way through. A few weeks ago I was tanking in a group where between two bards, a paladin, and a monk, only the bard bothered to silence ADS and we still just plowed through it.

• Locked thread