Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
ff14 is real chill to play. MMO hardcore nerds probably hate how casual it is but it's good to play on and off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Overbite posted:

ff14 is real chill to play. MMO hardcore nerds probably hate how casual it is but it's good to play on and off.

I played a guy that was a tank and used a big rear end axe and it was pretty cool

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

My peak mmo experience was stalking ironforge in high end pve gear as a rogue during vanilla wow. Also world pvp was incredible because you could hunt people across half a continent and terrorize them for hours and they couldn't just hide behind a wall to mount and fly away. There that's my mmo story

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
anyone else buying archeage specifically to grief the poo poo out of people

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Of course not, it's free to play. Not having a sub only means missing out on housing (which you probably won't be able to do anyway unless you preordered and poopsocked the first hour of head start) and having your craft points severely limited. Nothing stopping you from buying a boat or reaching the level cap.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
"poopsocked the first hour"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yeah, I spoke in future past tense, what of it?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
if archeage is free to play htf were they selling 149 dollar preorders

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Unguided posted:

Yeah, I spoke in future past tense, what of it?
See a doctor about your bowel control. :ohdear:

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

sword_man.gif posted:

if archeage is free to play htf were they selling 149 dollar preorders

don't you want an Experimental Glider!?!?!

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
can you name boats in archeage, my purchase depends on this

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
ffxiv is gonna have guild airships nd yes you can name them

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The Implication will sail the seven seas

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Eox posted:

can you name boats in archeage, my purchase depends on this

Yes but they don't allow spaces or underscores and only the first letter can be capitalized. You can put a custom image on the sail, fly your favorite decade old SA meme.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Overbite posted:

MMO hardcore nerds absolutely do hate it. Causal Wow-clone instanced zones no world pvp casual trash 2.5sec global cooldown no raids casual anime WELFARE EPICS casual casual casual. Something like that.

Also there's a very vocal camp of stockholm syndrome sufferers who think that FF14 was perfect on release and ARR ruined it.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Unguided posted:

You can put a custom image on the sail, fly your favorite decade old SA meme.

Pusher Roboat

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Pusher Roboat
dickbutt

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

RottenK posted:

Also there's a very vocal camp of stockholm syndrome sufferers who think that FF14 was perfect on release and ARR ruined it.

I refuse to believe that. It was completely unplayable at launch in both a technical and gameplay sense.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I refuse to believe that. It was completely unplayable at launch in both a technical and gameplay sense.

Here is a 1.0 era post about rested XP ruining the game

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Every game, even the most terrible, broken messes of a production will have people who defend it.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

lol

quote:

This game is just a boring grind fest in every aspect with no meaning.. leveling jobs 1-50 is just feels so pointless..

yes, it's such a boring grind and it's made so much worse by rested experience!

that thing smacks of "I have to much time and put hundreds of hours into this and anybody that isn't like me shouldn't have fun"

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen people cry about 2.0s endgame, while propping up 1.0s "amazing endgame."

When it wrapped up, the endgame was exactly 3 standalone bosses. Those bosses are still in the game, two of them as babies first raids to get your first endgame weapon. For over a year the only max level fight in the game is now considered so piss easy that you'd have to have payed no attention at all through any of the mandatory story dungeons while leveling to even come close to wiping on it.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 9, 2014

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Pomp posted:

I've seen people cry about 2.0s endgame, while propping up 1.0s "amazing endgame."

When it wrapped up, the endgame was exactly 3 standalone bosses. Those bosses are still in the game, two of them as babies first raids to get your first endgame weapon. For over a year the only max level fight in the game is now considered so piss easy that you'd have to have payed no attention at all through any of the mandatory story dungeons while leveling to even come close to wiping on it.

this post feels like "trap sprung"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

"I have to much time and put hundreds of hours into this and anybody that isn't like me shouldn't have fun"

This is what many MMO players have been conditioned to believe. It's pretty sad that apparently fun only starts to trickle out like an old man's wiener at the 100 hour mark.

But Final Fantasy 14's sudden rise to almost 3 million players is pretty much because of the improvements. In the end MMO players like that don't even want to play with people given the choice. They're only a means to their own personal end. An annoyance to be tolerate as their guy gets gear.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 9, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I have to much time and put hundreds of hours into this and anybody that isn't like me shouldn't have fun

same

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIvNrhHBS4Q&t=901s
archeage landboat

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

oh my god

a slow, steady creature willed by god, traversing the unknown as only his instincts tell him

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

For all the poo poo in ArcheAge typical of a Korean grindfest, it's worth it just for harpoons. There are NPC airships flying between zones like WoW had back at launch, harpoon clippers can grab onto those and hitch a ride.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

"Carbine posted:

A bit of mistranslation. 7 guilds (that I've seen) working on Datascape. The farthest any have progressed is 3/9. Not all are that far.
:allears:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Mike Donatelli posted:

In raids, we have no intention of doing a Looking for Raid tool, like “Oh, hey, I want to mercenary for a raid.” The point is raids are for raiders. We built this content. It was expensive, but we wanted to make sure it was focusing on those people and giving them a new challenge, not the same old same old, not just taking something that was already average and lowering the cost of entry to 4 person raids. [...]you can’t just get 40 dudes together and slap them into a raid group and put them into this raid dungeon and not expect them to wipe on the first boss.

Mike Donatelli posted:

Having people run around in that awesome raid gear that you’re like, “Holy crap, where did you get that?” and then not seeing everyone in the city in the same stuff because you dumbed the raids down so any schmuck could do it.

Mike Donatelli posted:

The stuff for Datascape, at launch, might only be one percent of the guilds do Datascape at launch, because they’re the only ones who want to play the game and sleep and that’s it, but at the same time, that sort of challenge will be ready for them, and as the game matures and other players get better and better and form bonds within the game and make their guilds, the content will be there and ready for them to work on and go through as well.

Only 7 guilds are doing raids? Working as intended, scrub :smug:

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

RottenK posted:

Only 7 guilds are doing raids? Working as intended, scrub :smug:

Why would they expect people to keep paying $15 a month if 99% of people will never see the late game content.

Game design

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

SarutosZero posted:

Why would they expect people to keep paying $15 a month if 99% of people will never see the late game content.

Game design

1 percent of guilds will keep paying the subscription fee. This is a winning business model.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
something something the elite something something wrathbabys casuals something something we have no loving idea what we're doing and only listen to the loudest whiniest part of a playerbase

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

SarutosZero posted:

Game design

the casuals are meant to bask in the glow of the hardcore's elite raid gear. you see in the real world as opposed to the obammunist moocher paradise of modern mmos, there are the superior peoples and the inferior peoples. just as it is the natural urge of the superiors to achieve greatness, it is the nature of the inferior to glorify them. the sooner casuals come to realize the fundamental truth of the world and debase themselves to the hardcore as is their lot, then wildstar will naturally become the best game ever made with content designed for the 1 percent and subsidized by the 99 percent.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

SarutosZero posted:

Game design

A lot of people play games while being super super bad at them.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

BigLeafyTree posted:

A lot of people play games while being super super bad at them.

It does not surprise me at all that a dota player is the first to say this.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

sword_man.gif posted:

something something the elite something something wrathbabys casuals something something we have no loving idea what we're doing and only listen to the loudest whiniest part of a playerbase

They thought that more people wanted "hardcore". They even scream "HARDCORE HARDCORE!" at you constantly in their trailers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbItL4qcugk

Their mistake? They forgot that 90% of MMO players are loving terrible and will stand in fire that's been telegraphed to appear for like 10 seconds, even while they have a bossmod addon screaming "GET OUT OF THE FIRE YOU DUMB!" because they need to finish casting their chaosbolts first.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

It does not surprise me at all that a dota player is the first to say this.

Dota is hands on experience with an endless supply of people that are dumb and bad at their chosen hobby despite sinking hundreds to thousands of hours in it.

I'm good though. It's the other people that are bad.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Wildstar raids don't even look interesting. You have to continuously run out of the way of increasingly annoying patterns of red marks on the ground wow neato give me a lifetime subscription option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

SarutosZero posted:

Wildstar raids don't even look interesting. You have to continuously run out of the way of increasingly annoying patterns of red marks on the ground wow neato give me a lifetime subscription option

Good news! They prepare you for this with every normal dungeon boss fight being exactly this on your way to raids!

I had a lot of arguments with friends about the fact poo poo in Wildstar isn't actually significantly different from other MMOs, other than the way abilities are targeted, after the initial novelty wrote off. It would appear I was right in the end since the only friend I think is still playing is one of the people that thinks getting rid of attunements ruined wow raiding. He may not even still play, I haven't talked to him in a while.

• Locked thread