Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lunsku posted:

They're pretty great size for hauling my magic stuff with me. One can nicely fit two deck boxes, dice and counters, tokens and lands for drafts. Also more like third the price here for that quarter.

Should really get around buying one, my Rise of the Eldrazi fat pack is starting to get pretty worn down.

Right. I guess I just buy opened ones for $5 at most when I need one. It's the cost of a pack and you'll actually get $5 out of it! :v: I'm spoiled when I'm at school cuz star city always gives away tons of poo poo during prerelease weekend. I think it's probably going to be fat pack boxes, a playmat, and sleeves this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

MTGSalvation bums me out so hard. It's like those surveys that show 90+% of Americans consider themselves middle class. A whole site full of self-described Spikes who are absolutely terrible at card evaluation.

The gold standard they hold up as the power level of sets is Zendikar; and while Zendikar certainly was higher-power than RTR/Theros/Khans, it also had Kabira Evangel, Lullmage Mentor, Sadistic Sacrament, Electropotence, Predatory Urge, Blade of the Bloodchief etc etc. People only ever remember the highest power cards from a given environment, so all past environments look stronger than the present.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This card is bonkers.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Between the guildclan cluestonesbanners and not-refuges, the common fixing in this set is pretty :effort:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

Between the guildclan cluestonesbanners and not-refuges, the common fixing in this set is pretty :effort:

I get that 3 color needs fixing, but this is going to be like DGM packs where it is just poo poo tons of cluestones.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

MTGSalvation bums me out so hard. It's like those surveys that show 90+% of Americans consider themselves middle class. A whole site full of self-described Spikes who are absolutely terrible at card evaluation.

The gold standard they hold up as the power level of sets is Zendikar; and while Zendikar certainly was higher-power than RTR/Theros/Khans, it also had Kabira Evangel, Lullmage Mentor, Sadistic Sacrament, Electropotence, Predatory Urge, Blade of the Bloodchief etc etc. People only ever remember the highest power cards from a given environment, so all past environments look stronger than the present.
Yea, it's really awful.
Also they equate high-power=healthy environment. Zendikar block brought us Jace and stone forge mystic dominated formats.
Also, the fixing is exactly what the limited environment needs to be fun. They have said repeatedly that shards block's biggest problem was not enough fixing.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DGM limited had a lot of three-color decks and the fixing was mostly confined to a set of common ETBT duals and cycling mana rocks. If you want a 3-color limited format, use what you know works.

sarmhan posted:

Yea, it's really awful.
Also they equate high-power=healthy environment. Zendikar block brought us Jace and stone forge mystic dominated formats.

I agree, but go back and look at the visual spoilers for Zendikar and Worldwake. It was a high-powered format, but the VAST majority of the rares and mythics were unplayable garbage. Felidar Sovereign, Lorthos the Tidemaker, Terra Eternal, Thada Adel, the list goes on. Stoneforge Mystic and Daddy Jace were the ONLY constructed playable rares/mythics in their respective colors in Worldwake. A set that's 85% garbage and 10% needs-to-banned broken cards is a terrible set.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 9, 2014

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

jassi007 posted:

I get that 3 color needs fixing, but this is going to be like DGM packs where it is just poo poo tons of cluestones.

I don't think so, there were 10 cluestones in a small set vs. 5 clan banners in a large set... I don't think it will even be close.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

Except clanbanners take up approximate 1/3 the space of the set that cluestones did?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The internet at large is god awful at card evaluation in spoilers season. Ain't nothing new there. The pessimism can get annoying, but then it's super interesting to see how wrong everybody was on certain cards, including yourself.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

jassi007 posted:

DGM was a small set, Khans is large

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

jassi007 posted:

It won't be that bad. 5 cluestones instead of ten, plus it's a large set, not a small set like DGM was.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah they're unremarkable but they are strictly better. Sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yeah they're unremarkable but they are strictly better. Sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.

Nope, still need three mana to activate the draw.

People need to stop using strictly better without realizing what strictly means.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Butcher of the Horde looks pretty good, but I'm doubtful people will be clamoring to play in that color combination. I hope I'm wrong.

Honestly, I'm crossing my fingers that any of the non-green clans will be playable, because I can all too easily envision a Standard where all the decks are Caryatid/Courser.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

qbert posted:

Butcher of the Horde looks pretty good, but I'm doubtful people will be clamoring to play in that color combination. I hope I'm wrong.

The only problem with those colors is that they don't lend themselves well to fixing due to lack of green. That said, I could definitely see a Mardu token-based build that uses this guy as a finisher.

This guy + Akroan Horse gives you an activation every turn.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Nope, still need three mana to activate the draw.

People need to stop using strictly better without realizing what strictly means.

~~Strictly better~~ than Obelisks!!

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Zoness posted:

~~Strictly better~~ than Obelisks!!
They don't even tap for the same color combinations. Chromatic lantern and coalition relic are though.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Here's a card people will totally underevaluate (this would be miserable at uncommon)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

Except clanbanners take up approximate 1/3 the space of the set that cluestones did?

+ a cycle of 10 common lands + a cycle of 5 uncommon lands + a cycle of 5 clanstones. I know it will make draft enjoyable but with 15 commons and 5 uncommon fixers most packs are bound to have 1 if not more than 1.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Alaan posted:

It's a super narrow range in the middle of two T cards it could be. Between Th______ and To_________ I think. Basically a guaranteed new card.

Tomb, Ancient

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Zorak posted:

Here's a card people will totally underevaluate (this would be miserable at uncommon)
That is a terrifying card.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Is there still room in this set for a Serene Master reprint? Would fit really nicely into the set I think.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Alaan posted:

It's a super narrow range in the middle of two T cards it could be. Between Th______ and To_________ I think. Basically a guaranteed new card.
Tolarian Academy. It's why they're pushing artifacts.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

+ a cycle of 10 common lands + a cycle of 5 uncommon lands + a cycle of 5 clanstones. I know it will make draft enjoyable but with 15 commons and 5 uncommon fixers most packs are bound to have 1 if not more than 1.

Except most of that is -good- fixing? I don't get what you're trying to get at here drawing a comparison to cluestones, which were miserable.

Like, these refuges are way better than gates, since they offset the tempo loss to an extent, and trilands are amazing. Drawing a comparison to RTR in terms of fixing density is misleading too, when the goal is to rectify the lack of fixing in Shards.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mind the IPA idea of make 3-5 color decks with extremely flimsy fixing and get there because your cards are that powerful, but that's no the kind of limited that people are likely to want to play any more.

Also IPA featured strategies like open FTK.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 9, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

jassi007 posted:

That's exactly WHY there are so many: every pack you open in limited giving you a good chance to get color fixing.

Limited is awesome and you don't open packs for constructed, so I don't see any problems here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zorak posted:

BW TOKENS

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

Well it's miserable at rare too :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This card is bonkers.

Mardu Rabble.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

You want some pearls? Have some goddamn pearls!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Also the actual problem with DGM was that you were lucky to see 5 playable cards per pack, not that the packs would all have a cluestone and gate in them.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
The problem with cluestones was not that they were mana fixing. The problem was that there were way more than anyone needed. Even slow decks usually didn't want more than 2. Compare with gates, which were fought over intensely and it was hard to get enough of them.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Esser-Z posted:

That's exactly WHY there are so many: every pack you open in limited giving you a good chance to get color fixing.

Limited is awesome and you don't open packs for constructed, so I don't see any problems here.

Cards that only really have a purpose in limited bum me out sometimes. I like cards like 4B murder with delve because I can think of uses for them besides just in a draft. I'm happy limited will have good fixing. I am unhappy with the fact that I know I will be looking for 4x of a card and have to sift through a huge loving pile of mana fixing cards that see no play except for the occasional pauper or edh.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So with all this abzan bullshit, ajani steadfast looks to be pretty well positioned, right?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Cards that only really have a purpose in limited bum me out sometimes. I like cards like 4B murder with delve because I can think of uses for them besides just in a draft. I'm happy limited will have good fixing. I am unhappy with the fact that I know I will be looking for 4x of a card and have to sift through a huge loving pile of mana fixing cards that see no play except for the occasional pauper or edh.

First, I'm pretty sure the fixing will be useful in Standard and it'll definitely be used in dinner table magic.

Second, I'm sure Wizards is happy with your approach to getting playsets.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I really want to play control or counterburn this Standard and it bizarrely looks like Temur's the clan for that, but that makes me sad because I really don't want to buy/trade for a playset of Coursers :(. I have had at some point or another probably close to 15 Caryatids but I flip them almost as quick as I get them since they are great trade fodder.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

So with all this abzan bullshit, ajani steadfast looks to be pretty well positioned, right?

Considering Mentor of Heroes is G/W and can dole out +1/+1 counters like candy or dig for more creatures and walkers I'd say both Ajanis are sitting pretty.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

Also a reminder that this card is not a combo with this one.

At least, in flavor cube.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

Also a reminder that this card is not a combo with this one.

At least, in flavor cube.

You should never flip Pearls before Swine, because then all of your dudes will be 2/2s. Other way around gives you 4/4s.

• Locked thread