Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Square
May 14, 2009

Man, women suck :sigh: Also, you're all making me feel way too young. I'm only 23.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You are young.... you will find you know less and less for a while then you get to 29-30 and for some reason a switch flips and you know you know poo poo about life, but for some reason you know way more about yourself. It works equally well in relationships.

Long story short, hang in there :thumbsup:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

T-Square posted:

Man, women suck :sigh: Also, you're all making me feel way too young. I'm only 23.

I got married at 23, it was the dumbest loving thing I've ever done. I barely knew who I was, and she knew even less. Just gently caress around at least a few more years, you might find a keeper but man if things go south, bail early and often.

I spent my honeymoon fighting about restaurant coupons. For 5 whole days. It was such a huge sign of things to come and yet I slogged through that painful marsh of petty nonsense for ten more years.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

On a car related note, it's funny. I'm finally ready to do the T5 swap in my 122 and everyone who was begging me to part out the carbs or tranny or motor now has no need for anything. I'm going to have to resort to craigslist!

gently caress, quote != edit.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Turns out Public Storage doesn't really give a gently caress and I can get a 10x20 drive-up unit for $1 for the first month and $111/mo. after that. I asked the sales guy about building something in the unit and he told me that as long as I don't break stuff, disrupt business, or do illegal poo poo, they really don't care what goes on at my unit.

Dunno about power, but if there isnt a light socket i can repurpose, my folks have a 4500 watt generator not doing anything.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

2013 Impala LT. Not bad. V6 was pretty smooth, and reasonably powerful. It didn't launch incredibly hard, but it built quickly. I ended up going a lot faster than I intended a lot of the time. Little bit of initial lag on the drive-by-wire. Probably could have used a 5- or 6-speed tranny over the old 4-speed overdrive auto, but it didn't hunt around much.

A 2013 should have a 6 speed auto, even if it was a base LS; 2011 was the last year of the 4 speed auto for the Impala. By 2011, the 4 speed had been dropped from everything except the vans and low end trucks, IIRC. The HHR also held on to it. Unless somehow Hertz talked GM into building them for an order, but I think they'd dropped all of the FWD 4 speeds by 2011 except for the one behind the 2.2/2.4 in the HHR.

"Reasonably powerful" - it cranks out 300 hp.. from a 3.6L V6 :stare:

And yeah, GM's DBW can be really laggy. Really depends on the car; it's not very laggy on my Ion with the 5 speed manual (I've driven an automatic Cobalt with terrible lag), and a loaner 2010 Malibu LS was similar. A rental 2009 Malibu LT had horrible lag, a rental 2010 Cruze 1LT had pretty much none.

:spergin:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

I got married at 23, it was the dumbest loving thing I've ever done. I barely knew who I was, and she knew even less. Just gently caress around at least a few more years, you might find a keeper but man if things go south, bail early and often.

I spent my honeymoon fighting about restaurant coupons. For 5 whole days. It was such a huge sign of things to come and yet I slogged through that painful marsh of petty nonsense for ten more years.

No intentions of getting married this young here, but you guys are pretty awesome. Appreciate the input. Thing is, I've known the girl for 10+ years, and we just started dating the beginning of this summer. Everything was awesome and everything I expected, up until three weeks ago when she decided to start completely ignoring me. I finally got her to say something to me, and she swore everything was fine between us, and she was sorry for being the way she was being. Still ignoring me though. Don't know what to think, so I'm sticking with my Pabst and smokes. Also, E30 parts.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 205 days!)

Sooo I finally get to drive my daily driver again after having been loaned out for a few weeks. They filled it with 89 (Yeah, I know, but at least it wasn't 85 :zombie:), well, half-filled it, and the stereo was cranked and they hosed with my seat memory buttons.

No biggy.

Start 'er up, wait for drop to idle. Roll down the front windows, roll down the B*CRACK*sharkfin.

gently caress YOU WINDOW ROLLERS. gently caress YOU! gently caress YOU! gently caress YOU!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

T-Square posted:

Still ignoring me though. Don't know what to think,

This is gonna hurt to hear but it's the truth: The hardest lesson to learn is that no communication is communication. It means "gently caress off". You never want to hear that and they never want to say it, so they say it without saying it. Not necessarily in a mean way, and not necessarily in a cold way, but when you think about it the message is really clear. So do yourself a favor and actually gently caress off. Leave her alone like you'd want to be left alone if you were avoiding someone.

It's sad that we as people are generally chickenshit and try to avoid that confrontation but that's the way it is. I was going to say something about how the silent treatment is cowardly, and then I remembered several times when I've done it. I usually don't but it has happened.

bandman posted:

Turns out Public Storage doesn't really give a gently caress and I can get a 10x20 drive-up unit for $1 for the first month and $111/mo. after that.
Jesus, if it had 24 hour access I'd jump on that poo poo. A 10 x 15 is over $200 a month at all the places around here, and it still won't fit a car.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 9, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Years ago some friend of a friend had rented a double unit (two roll up doors that opened into a single large unit).

He pilfered power from the circuit for the outside lighting for his interior lighting, and put a tap into an outside water faucet (the pipe ran through his unit) for water inside, even added a sink and a residential garage door opener on one door.

IIRC it was also a Public Storage unit; for obvious reasons he didn't visit during business hours, but had 24 hour access. Of course, nothing electric inside worked unless the outside lights were on, and he'd occasionally pop the breaker for the lighting (which meant waiting for someone to notice the lighting for that part of the property was out).

I don't even want to think about the cleanup costs when he moved out, that whole unit was seriously sketchy - and likely an EPA nightmare.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So it was a meth lab?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

How the gently caress am I still awake after taking a sleeping pill and lying awake in bed for four hours?

I need to find a job and look for an apartment somewhere, but I'm barely waking up in the afternoon with enough time to do homework, shower and get to my night classes on time. I'm coming to the conclusion that I am and always will be a worthless piece of poo poo.

But hey I've got a neat car so it's all good, right?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cakefool posted:

So it was a meth lab?

Meth lab would have been easier to clean up, I think.

Also didn't see any Aztecs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Reminder - you are following Car 79 aka KaptainBallistik at the WRC this weekend.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Me and my 3 roommates pay $1400/mo total for rent. Our house is big and we have good neighbors and a big backyard. But we also live close to the ghetto and a lot of violence. Plus half the house is wired into one breaker, so one of us has to run an extension cord from the upstairs bathroom to the AC in one of our rooms. My landlord is mad chill and lives across the street from us. He just gave us a free 10'x12' gazeebo for the backyard.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fucknag posted:

How the gently caress am I still awake after taking a sleeping pill and lying awake in bed for four hours?

I need to find a job and look for an apartment somewhere, but I'm barely waking up in the afternoon with enough time to do homework, shower and get to my night classes on time. I'm coming to the conclusion that I am and always will be a worthless piece of poo poo.

But hey I've got a neat car so it's all good, right?

Do you exercise?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You are young.... you will find you know less and less for a while then you get to 29-30 and for some reason a switch flips and you know you know poo poo about life, but for some reason you know way more about yourself. It works equally well in relationships.

Long story short, hang in there :thumbsup:

All this right there. I think it's a part of growing up and networking with a lot of the right people but at some point, and I don't know when, I became the "go to" guy for pretty much everything. Oh, ask keykey he either knows what it is/the fix for the issue or knows somebody that does. All my family/friends do this, even my boss does this. The thing I hate is calls out of the blue from friend/family that I haven't talked to in 20 years or in some case never and the phone call always starts the same. Hi, how are you? Long time no see, heeeeeey gotta quick question..

Viggen posted:

gently caress YOU WINDOW ROLLERS. gently caress YOU! gently caress YOU! gently caress YOU!

Them rollers breakin', you hatin'. That's one thing I don't miss on my Saab.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Snapchat has a knack for crashing so hard that it actually just shuts my phone completely off, so I think I'm going to uninstall. You'll all have to survive without my dick pics

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

Snapchat has a knack for crashing so hard that it actually just shuts my phone completely off, so I think I'm going to uninstall. You'll all have to survive without my dick pics

NOOOOOOooooooooo

eh. oh well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

It's sad that we as people are generally chickenshit and try to avoid that confrontation but that's the way it is. I was going to say something about how the silent treatment is cowardly, and then I remembered several times when I've done it. I usually don't but it has happened.

It's sad, but that's what you do when you're young because you don't handle confrontation well and can't communicate for poo poo, so it just ends up a festering grudge that gets worse the longer it goes on.

If I've learned anything about relationships, it's you need to squash any beefs immediately and move on if you want it to work. If you can't let poo poo go and love holding on to grudges you're bound fail eventually.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

keykey posted:

Them rollers breakin', you hatin'. That's one thing I don't miss on my Saab.

It doesn't help that this happened immediately before 4 hours of grueling work - when I couldn't just pop the card and stick them in. Ugh. Rear passenger door, too. Time to bleed is rapidly approaching.

E: Obviously with the stereo cranked they couldn't hear the regulator bitching that it was unhappy. The clip is busted and the roller is so chewed - I'm not sure it is recoverable.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 9, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

Your "time to mastrabate" video while grabbing the orange hand cleaner was loving hilarious. Bravo good sir. :golfclap:

T-Square posted:

No intentions of getting married this young here, but you guys are pretty awesome. Appreciate the input. Thing is, I've known the girl for 10+ years, and we just started dating the beginning of this summer. Everything was awesome and everything I expected, up until three weeks ago when she decided to start completely ignoring me. I finally got her to say something to me, and she swore everything was fine between us, and she was sorry for being the way she was being. Still ignoring me though. Don't know what to think, so I'm sticking with my Pabst and smokes. Also, E30 parts.

A few thing I have picked up on over my short 31 years in the world:
Don't date friends. Don't pine for a woman. Don't get so hung up on looks that you miss the whole package. Peoples can change, but only if they want to, don't ever think "I can change them" because chances are, they may not. Summer romances can be awesome! Don't buy land rovers (or any thing British). I found Coors banquet to be my favorite beer.

That's about it. Every thing else is either rover v8, railroading or my love of beer.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

It doesn't help that this happened immediately before 4 hours of grueling work - when I couldn't just pop the card and stick them in. Ugh. Rear passenger door, too. Time to bleed is rapidly approaching.

If/when I get another Saab, I'm just replacing those all around to begin with on general principle. I replaced my drivers side front 2 times, drivers rear once, passenger side front once. I did have to go to pnp for a new window actuator for the drivers front because when it broke, I was at work so I just pushed it and rolled it up so it wouldn't be down so my parking pass didn't get stolen. When I got home I went to replace it and noticed the arm was twisted.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BrokenKnucklez posted:

A few thing I have picked up on over my short 31 years in the world:
Don't date friends.

I don't know if I can fully agree with this one. I have been dating a girl for around 5 years now and we were friends from back in highschool. Granted we really did not see or talk much for the ~8 years after we graduated, but its working pretty well for us. It helps to date someone that you genuinely like spending time with, even if its just sitting around watching tv. Maybe we just got lucky, but either way I am happy about it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I think dating friends is fine as long as you both understand that if within the confines of your romantic relationship things end up going south, don't expect to remain friends afterward. It's a one-way street.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

The Midniter posted:

I think dating friends is fine as long as you both understand that if within the confines of your romantic relationship things end up going south, don't expect to remain friends afterward. It's a one-way street.

Thats why I only sleep with people I don't respect.

afterwards

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Viggen posted:

Thats why I only sleep with people I don't respect.

Oh, hello. :quagmire:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So that's why I masturbate so much :smith:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Just cleaned the carpet in my bedroom with a rug doctor. That was loving gross.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So a few weeks ago I bought a cheap truck.

2000 Mazda B2500 (aka a Ranger), 138k miles, rusty but mechanically good (timing belt looks good, new battery, fresh oil change, clutch feels great). 4 cyl, 5 speed, regular cab, no options whatsoever. I paid $800.

I know I got a good deal on it, but I just saw this one listed. It's older and higher mileage, but it has a bed liner and an extended cab. I'm kind of wishing I'd waited. It also has good tires. Mine have three good and one bald, and none match. Literally four different tires. One of them is even off road!

Still, $400 more for six years and 100k older, would it have been a poor life choice?

Edit: On the other hand, for $800, my truck does all I need it to do, though the extended cab would have been nice to have.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 9, 2014

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Cheap trucks are never a poor life choice. That one, however, has some interesting rot. You should buy it and slap a 2.3 turbo motor into it. :getin:

The Roadkill guys are live streaming Drag Week right now, it's made for the best work day distraction ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRLZB3E4jhA

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Noise Complaint posted:

Cheap trucks are never a poor life choice. That one, however, has some interesting rot. You should buy it and slap a 2.3 turbo motor into it. :getin:

I'm pretty certain that if I brought home a fifth vehicle my wife would murder me.

(If we had been friends before we dated, that would never happen)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CornHolio posted:

So a few weeks ago I bought a cheap truck.

You reminded me I've been forgetting to search for VW caddy/pickups lately. Can't believe what the drat things are selling for now, finding one fun under 3k that isn't completely full of rust is getting very hard. Still pissed at myself for letting the one I had go.

Cheap trucks are awesome and eventually I'll pick one up again. I had a $800 Ranger that I drove for years until my brother wrecked it. Then I picked up a Nissan hardbody for $100 that was more rust than anything but that was a great truck...until my brother totaled it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
You should total your brother, I think.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Stop letting your brother drive your vehicles. He clearly doesn't care and isn't a good driver.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryhampster posted:

Just cleaned the carpet in my bedroom with a rug doctor. That was loving gross.

I cleaned the seats in my miata with the upholstery attachment and holy Jesus :barf:

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Your "time to mastrabate" video while grabbing the orange hand cleaner was loving hilarious. Bravo good sir. :golfclap:

Did it have pumice?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Timmy Cruise posted:

Did it have pumice?

I believe you mean "friction modifier".

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just spent 10k on a new roof for the house! Gotta love home ownership :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

leica posted:

Just spent 10k on a new roof for the house! Gotta love home ownership :smithicide:

My place is leaking like a sieve, but hoping to sell it soon as a "renovator's dream" aka shitheap that is barely standing up

• Locked thread