Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spikeguy posted:

So in the Dark Knight Rises, was Bane cool with dying in the blast, or was the bomb supposed to only partially blow up the city and he would be outside the blast radius? I never understood just how big the blast was supposed to be.

Im pretty sure he intended to die in the blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

whydirt posted:

I haven't heard of that, but it sounds very similar to a movie called Wah Hoss that a ton of trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh5usbtyFck

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Could anyone suggest (or just dump a list with summaries) any good, modern World war 1 movies? When i say modern, i am not picky about a year per-se, but older war movies from the 1930s-1970s have a dramatic style that i'm not going for. Awful dreck like "Flyboys" is all i can find, and i want to watch as many as i can for the 100th anniversary.

"Beneath Hill 30" is already on my list.
My area rep theater has been doing a retrospective on WWI films, so you can look through the list of summaries on that site, pick out the ones that are most interesting to you, and try to find them at your convenience.

Purple Gromit
Mar 28, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Could anyone suggest (or just dump a list with summaries) any good, modern World war 1 movies? When i say modern, i am not picky about a year per-se, but older war movies from the 1930s-1970s have a dramatic style that i'm not going for. Awful dreck like "Flyboys" is all i can find, and i want to watch as many as i can for the 100th anniversary.

Blackadder Goes Forth is a UK TV comedy set in the trenches.
Well worth a watch.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
As someone who is not especially into "war movies" per se, I'll second Gallipoli. Really good.

E: oh, and as far as gaining weight: if you are, say, Jared Leto, then you are probably thin and muscular due to diet and exercise. Quickly gaining significant weight from this point using whole foods is not easy. Particularly if you're already naturally thin, "eat more food" is not good advice -- there are only so many hours in a day. Someone who has never tried to gain weight will find themselves shocked when they feel sickeningly full for an entire day, and yet they've only eaten like 25-50% more calories than they normally do. Drinking calories is definitely the way to go, mostly because the body more quickly absorbs nutrients that way. As for drinking melted ice cream with olive oil (I'd guess the soy sauce is not necessary), it's a good idea if your only goal is "gain weight."

nocal fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 1, 2014

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
What are some examples of particularly well-written screenplays? And not in that the story is good but that the language in which it is written is top notch.

I've seen The Apartment listed as one example and I've also read that Shane Black's screenplays are good reads as just reads.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

live with fruit posted:

What are some examples of particularly well-written screenplays? And not in that the story is good but that the language in which it is written is top notch.

I've seen The Apartment listed as one example and I've also read that Shane Black's screenplays are good reads as just reads.

Shane Black for me is top tier stuff because he'll often address the reader directly. Here's an example from 'The Last Boy Scout'. Forgive the formatting.

quote:

EXT. L.A. STREET - IN SHADOW OF FREEWAY - MORNING

We SUPERIMPOSE the legend:

WEST LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA DECEMBER 20

Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. America, and all the ships at
sea. Welcome to another lackluster morning in Southern
California. Palm trees limp. Windless silence. 80
degrees at 8:00 AM.

CAMERA CRANES DOWN PAST a huge, rotting billboard. On
the billboard, a girl in tight jeans. Grabbing her own
butt. A surprised look on her face. Yes, honey, that's
your butt.

MOVE IN ON a tiny, weather-beaten bungalow. In the
shadow of the 405 Freeway. A shingle hangs from a
wrought iron post: JOSEPH R. HALLENBECK, CONFIDENTIAL
INVESTIGATIONS.
On the lawn, a late-model Plymouth.
The sprinkers come to life. Fling water across the car.

ANOTHER ANGLE

Inside the car, a lone man is asleep, arms akimbo.
Sprawled across the seat. Half-empty bottle of Seagrams
V.O. RADIO on, playing tinny JAZZ music.
Picture the tiredest, meanest, grouchiest son of a bitch
self-hating loser you can. Now give him a two-year-old suit from C & R Clothing.
Such is the aforementioned HALLENBECK.

Thing is, it basically breaks the 'rules' of screenwriting. Even Lethal Weapon, which was his first script, has asides like that.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The 80s have a bunch of classic teen movies like Heathers, The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller. The late 90s saw a resurgence of this genre with movies like Can't Hardly Wait and American Pie. Are there any great teen movies from the early or mid 90s?

Edit: aside from Dazed and Confused

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The 80s have a bunch of classic teen movies like Heathers, The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller. The late 90s saw a resurgence of this genre with movies like Can't Hardly Wait and American Pie. Are there any great teen movies from the early or mid 90s?

Clueless.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Might not fit exactly but Trust (1990) and Ginger Snaps (2000) are worth a watch.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

live with fruit posted:

Tarantino scripts are fantastic, Wilder's are great, Paul Thomas Anderson scripts are exquisite. For stuff that isn't as direct a path to the screen, there's always Robert Towne - particularly Chinatown - and I'll be honest when I say that Joss Whedon's stuff reads a million times better than it ever actually plays out, even if his style heavily apes from Shane Black's. Walter Hill's screenplays are famous for their brevity of description - imagine single lines evoking striking images, one right after the other.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

live with fruit posted:

If it's well-formed or clever dialogue you're looking for, there's Chayefsky's script for "Network" and Mamet screenplays ("Glengarry Glen Ross", "House of Games", etc.). There's Peter Weiss' "Marat/Sade" script. Also, "12 Angry Men". For something more recent, I really enjoyed the script for "Closer" (2004). These were all written by playwrights (and some were based on stage productions), so they're wordy and give actors an opportunity to really shine.

For some non-playwright stuff, you can't go wrong with Billy Wilder ("Double Indemnity" and "Sunset Blvd" especially). Woody Allen has a ton of good stuff ("Annie Hall", "Manhattan", "Hannah & Her Sisters", "Crimes & Misdemeanors"). The Coens (esp. "Barton Fink", "Miller's Crossing").

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Coaaab posted:

My area rep theater has been doing a retrospective on WWI films, so you can look through the list of summaries on that site, pick out the ones that are most interesting to you, and try to find them at your convenience.

I just watched the trailer for Gallipoli. I've seen it, and I love it, but holy poo poo, what an awful trailer. The showed the entire final scene.

As a follow up, re: movie trailers. When did movie trailers go from cheesy voice over plot descriptions to the narratorless trailers we have today? Was there a studio, genre, franchise or director that sparked the trend?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

xcore posted:

As a follow up, re: movie trailers. When did movie trailers go from cheesy voice over plot descriptions to the narratorless trailers we have today? Was there a studio, genre, franchise or director that sparked the trend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZHBjLFu5is

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I've always felt that Empire Records was an attempt to make a 90s equivalent of The Breakfast Club.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Things definitely changed and got a lot moodier and introspective, but there's still Flirting, Just Another Girl on IRT, House Party, The Doom Generation, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Angus

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Is there a way to see how much it costs to license a song for use in professional film/television? Like, syndicated shows professional.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

User-Friendly posted:

Is there a way to see how much it costs to license a song for use in professional film/television? Like, syndicated shows professional.

There's a couple different factors that go into it, and it's a little different for TV versus a movie it would seem.

Part of it depends on how the song is used. Is it just being played in the background of a single episode of a show or one scene of a movie, or is there a big dance number built around the song? Is the song played in its entirety or just a recognizable riff? Do you get to the vocals section of the song or only the instrumental?

I found a website by googling and while the site itself has a bad case of "Look at this adorable little girl and 1990's era design" it does have some calculators to give you some idea of what it can cost to license a song for a movie or TV. http://www.find-a-song.com/licensing_fees.html#MOVIES

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the website, but the calculators are pretty neat. They are all on the right side of the website.

Part of it (for a movie) depends on how big the budget is. For example, Marvel may have paid upwards of $30,000 (according to the above) for the full rights to "Hooked on a Feeling". That may be reduced a bit since the song is also on the soundtrack.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

User-Friendly posted:

How long is a piece of string? There are many variables in calculating the fee: the popularity and size of film, the song itself, where it is used, the media, territory and term (eg all media worldwide in perpetuity, or US TV for 6 months?), etc.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Louis CK talks about licensing The Who for his show:

quote:

AVC: Presumably the rights to that are very expensive.

LCK: Well, everything we’ve done on the show is something that should have been too expensive to do, and we always find a way. And the method we’d hit on was: Identify as early as possible all the things we want, the things that are expensive, and start working on them now. And this was very early in the season that she went and approached whoever owns that song. It’s like Universal, or one of the big ones. MCA or somebody. I don’t know how much you know about music licensing, but you have to get the master rights for the recording. And then you have to get the rights for the song itself, which is the publishing rights. And our network has a very rigid policy about how much rights they demand that we have to our music. We can’t get a partial deal. We have to get a massive license.

So we went to MCA or whoever has it and they said, “Well, we have the master rights and Pete Townshend’s publishing company has the publishing, and it’s a favored-nations deal.” In other words, whatever we negotiated with them, we would then also have to pay Pete and the publishing. So their first offer was, I think, $150,000. [Laughs.] Because it was the whole song! So we’d have to pay $300,000 total. That’s a whole episode for us. That’s the whole budget for the entire episode. But we didn’t give up. That’s the way it worked. And either the company or someone else told Blair, “The other way to work it is to go to Pete Townshend first.” Because it’s the same in the other direction: Whatever deal he makes, they have to honor his deal, too. They have to take whatever offer he gives. They have to match it. But try to go get Pete Townshend on the phone. That’s even harder. So it just took a lot of fuckin’ time. And occasionally, we’d be on the set shooting “Blueberries” or “Moving” or whatever it is, and I say to Blair, “How’s it going with The Who?” and she’d either say, “Dead” or, “I just talked to a guy today” or, “A guy I talked to today is looking into something.” And it went on and on. And finally, she said, “Well, Pete Townshend wants to know exactly how it’s being used, and he wants to see the show. He wants to see some episodes.” So I wrote him a synopsis of how it would be. I described it very carefully, and we sent him the DVD of five episodes from last season. And then, I don’t know, three or four months later, it felt like, he came back to us and said, “Can you send me 7,500 bucks?” [Laughs.] Yeah! And so the whole thing cost $15,000, which is loving nothing!

AVC: Especially considering how prominently it’s featured.

LCK: Oh yeah!

http://www.avclub.com/article/louis-ck-walks-us-through-ilouieis-second-season-p-61969

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
The question mostly sprang from a conversation I was having with a friend about how certain songs seem to show up in a ton of shows (In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida among them), and I was wondering if they were noticeably cheaper than others.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I want to know how much people pay for Metallica songs now, because watching Paradise Lost 1 recently made my jaw drop. There's like 2 albums worth of songs on it.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Is there some kind of discount for movie studios to license Queen songs?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I want to know how much people pay for Metallica songs now, because watching Paradise Lost 1 recently made my jaw drop. There's like 2 albums worth of songs on it.

The West Memphis Three documentary? I believe Metallica donated the use of their songs in that case.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's what I figure, given that Berlinger went on to make Some Kind Of Monster. Such a thing seems like it would be expensive as hell nowadays.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

That's what I figure, given that Berlinger went on to make Some Kind Of Monster. Such a thing seems like it would be expensive as hell nowadays.

I'm pretty sure a donation would still be free.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Trump posted:

I'm pretty sure a donation would still be free.

You know what I meant. Metallica ain't donating poo poo to anybody these days.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

You know what I meant. Metallica ain't donating poo poo to anybody these days.

You are saying all the stuff they have donated, both as a band and as private persons, really didn't happen?

It's not like Metallica wasn't big stars when PL was made. They thought it was an important movie and wanted to help it gain attention by giving them the rights to use some of their songs. They've done a ton of charity stuff, donating money left and right.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't mean charity, I'm talking licensing songs.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I think another factor re: music rights is what music your parent company owns. A lot of film studios and music labels are owned by the same company (like Warner Bros Pictures and Warner Music Group, or Sony Pictures Entertainment and Sony Music Entertainment) so if you're a film-maker it can be cheaper and easier to use music owned by your parent company rather than music from an outside company.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think another factor re: music rights is what music your parent company owns. A lot of film studios and music labels are owned by the same company (like Warner Bros Pictures and Warner Music Group, or Sony Pictures Entertainment and Sony Music Entertainment) so if you're a film-maker it can be cheaper and easier to use music owned by your parent company rather than music from an outside company.

I would guess, because of accounting practices, it's significantly more expensive to use your own companies music, but you never have to pay it, so it works out.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I watched Blue Ruin yesterday and it reminded me of Out Of The Furnace. And Joe. And The Place Beyond The Pines. And Sun Don't Shine. And Mud. Is there a name for this subgenre of indie dramas? The common features I can think of (with some exceptions here and there) are:
- Set in rural American towns; beat up cars and abandoned industry suggest better days in the past
- Grizzled male protagonists who aren't career criminals but end up on the wrong side of the law for personal reasons
- Dreamlike, highly colorized cinematography
- Slow pacing with occasional eruptions of violence

Also is this style taking off right now have I just miss all the examples from before 2013? I guess the earliest movie I could think of that might fit is A History Of Violence.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Eggnogium posted:

I watched Blue Ruin yesterday and it reminded me of Out Of The Furnace. And Joe. And The Place Beyond The Pines. And Sun Don't Shine. And Mud. Is there a name for this subgenre of indie dramas? The common features I can think of (with some exceptions here and there) are:
- Set in rural American towns; beat up cars and abandoned industry suggest better days in the past
- Grizzled male protagonists who aren't career criminals but end up on the wrong side of the law for personal reasons

Also is this style taking off right now have I just miss all the examples from before 2013? I guess the earliest movie I could think of that might fit is A History Of Violence.

Lawless, too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

Rolling Thunder from 1977 is kind of the progenitor of this style. Out of the Furnace in particular felt a lot like Rolling Thunder.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, it's a little more exploitative, but the original Mad Max is thematically kind of similar. I thought Out of the Furnace was loving awesome, so I'll have to check out some of the other titles mentioned here.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah Out of the Furnace is really great.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Haven't seen Lawless or Rolling Thunder, gonna track 'em down. I hadn't really been considering period pieces before but I would say Ain't Them Bodies Saints is another recent example.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Eggnogium posted:

Haven't seen Lawless or Rolling Thunder, gonna track 'em down. I hadn't really been considering period pieces before but I would say Ain't Them Bodies Saints is another recent example.

How was this?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hated Ain't Them Bodies Saints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

bows1 posted:

How was this?

Pretty to look at but mostly forgettable otherwise.