Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Is there a mostly AOSP rom for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3? More AOSP than Cyanogenmod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mogomra posted:

Is there a mostly AOSP rom for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3? More AOSP than Cyanogenmod.

There was a nice touch wiz based stable ROM I used on my s3 that you could skin to be completely aosp looking and then use all the Google apps from the store and you got a close to aosp stable experience with the couple nice touch wiz features like their way better camera. CleanROM I believe it's called.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The op is quite old could someone point me to a good resource for rooting a galaxy s5 please. I haven't rooted a phone before so would really rather ask a goon than go googling myself.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 12, 2014

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The op is quite old could someone point me to a good resource for rooting a galaxy s5 please. I haven't rooted a phone before so would really rather ask a goon than go googling myself.

TowelRoot worked fine for my Verizon S5. It's one of those apps-that-root deals. No issues whatsoever. Your milage may vary, and I did it while drunk so no research was done beforehand.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Download and put on your SD Card: https://towelroot.com/

Settings -> Security -> Check "Unknown sources"

Use a file browser and install Towelroot (say yes to permissions, it's safe)

Open towelroot, run program, you should be rooted.

You can download "Root Checker" off of the Play store to make sure.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mogomra posted:

I use AOKP on my AT&T S3 and love it. The boot animations are dumb but you can remove one of them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

grack posted:

Out of curiosity, wich superuser installs? I normally go with chainfire's that works a charm and a coworker asked me for S5 root methods today.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Out of curiosity, wich superuser installs? I normally go with chainfire's that works a charm and a coworker asked me for S5 root methods today.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu

Seems to be the most popular one. Chainfire is legit.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Superuser (CWM). I've used both SuperUser and SuperSU, they both work fine.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is there a way to back and restore text messages after flashing a new ROM?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

fookolt posted:

Helium can take care of this.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

fookolt posted:

I use SMS Backup+ for keeping texts when I buy a new phone, dunno if that's exactly what you're looking for.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

nmfree posted:

I use SMS Backup+ for keeping texts when I buy a new phone, dunno if that's exactly what you're looking for.

One thing to be aware of with SMS Backup+: last I knew, the version on the Play Store doesn't work properly on KitKat devices. You have to go to the authors site and sign up to be a beta tester and then install the beta version. Maybe things have changed, but last time I wiped my phone (about a month ago) I still had to do it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

chizad posted:

One thing to be aware of with SMS Backup+: last I knew, the version on the Play Store doesn't work properly on KitKat devices. You have to go to the authors site and sign up to be a beta tester and then install the beta version. Maybe things have changed, but last time I wiped my phone (about a month ago) I still had to do it.

I don't recall ever having to do that, and mine still looks to be backing up my texts. It's possible I did forget about doing that, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I use SMS Backup+ to move all my SMS to GMail and then just swipe away the thread in Hangouts when activity dies down. Seems to work perfectly and when that person messages again the entire thread is viewable.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

hooah posted:

I don't recall ever having to do that, and mine still looks to be backing up my texts. It's possible I did forget about doing that, though.

Whoops, I should've been more clear. I've never had issues with backups from KitKat using the market version. But to restore a backup to KitKat I've always had to use the beta version.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

grack posted:

This no longer works, at least on Verizon. A software update fixed the exploit last month. Gotta see ads on my phone now :argh:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone know of a way to change the IMEI number on a Nexus 5 ? I bought a used one, and the next day TELUS blacklisted it due to fraud.

Seller won't take it back, if I could find him I'd smack him in the teeth.

So now I have a $250 WiFi device. If I can clone my nexus 3 to the 5 it should work.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

jonathan posted:

Anyone know of a way to change the IMEI number on a Nexus 5 ? I bought a used one, and the next day TELUS blacklisted it due to fraud.

So now I have a $250 WiFi device. If I can clone my nexus 3 to the 5 it should work.
It can be done but discussing it is quite literally illegal.

Surgeon General
May 26, 2004
Delightfully Mad
Are there any issues with rooting a S4 mini with verizon?

edit: How about the Moto X?

Surgeon General fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 14, 2014

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Skeleton Ape posted:

This no longer works, at least on Verizon. A software update fixed the exploit last month. Gotta see ads on my phone now :argh:

I've been postponing that update out of a combination of being too lazy to undo my Xposed stuff and being scared of what would happen if I updated without undoing it. :saddowns:

What does the update do, anyway, other than undo root?

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 14, 2014

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

jonathan posted:

Do you have proof of the transaction? The seller may have stolen it, and you could send the cops his way.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Gonna go back to stock sony on my xperia Z for now and see if it's better than CM. Going to restore my old backup I made before installing CM, then try to update the stock OS through the regular updater and then resting apps from titanium.

Anything I should know regarding recoveries or root?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've been postponing that update out of a combination of being too lazy to undo my Xposed stuff and being scared of what would happen if I updated without undoing it. :saddowns:

What does the update do, anyway, other than undo root?

I don't know for sure, supposedly it's a minor update with a few bug fixes and security things. Nothing really noticeable on the user side. But yeah, definitely hold off for now if you're rooted.

Skeleton Ape fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 14, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

concise posted:

Do you have proof of the transaction? The seller may have stolen it, and you could send the cops his way.

I wouldn't put this at "may" have stolen it, since the phone was blocked from networks within days of sale it was almost certainly stolen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

I wouldn't put this at "may" have stolen it, since the phone was blocked from networks within days of sale it was almost certainly stolen.

Or they reported it as stolen after it was sold to you to get an insurance claim. Do you have any e-mails from the guy agreeing to sell the phone to you? That could be enough to go to the police with.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I talked with TELUS Mobility and it wasn't stolen. It was under contract and they defaulted on payments so the phone gets blocked off their network. Sucks because I'm on their network.

I could do legal action I suppose but I'm back home in Alberta now and won't be around there for at least 2 weeks. From what I can tell I able to clone the identification number from my old galaxy nexus to the N5 by somehow backing something up, then restoring it to the new phone using twrp and other tools.

I read the guide and its confusing and uses acronyms I'm not familiar with. The N5 is rooted now.

If its against the rules to discuss this I'll remove the post, however I'm not in America and those laws likely don't apply here.

If anyone wants to give me a hand swapping the imei number from my old nexus to my new one I'll PayPal them $50.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

jonathan posted:

If its against the rules to discuss this I'll remove the post, however I'm not in America and those laws likely don't apply here.

No, but I bet an equivalent will.

You could potentially get yourself into a lot of trouble trying to get a cheap-ish phone working.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dissss posted:

No, but I bet an equivalent will.

You could potentially get yourself into a lot of trouble trying to get a cheap-ish phone working.

Fine. $100 but no more.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Ive been using an old beta for paranoid android since like october of 2013 and i just updated to the latest paranoid android, i can't seem to fix the washed out gamma problem that the nexus 4 has. its so awful i woke up this morning and stared at the google now screen without my glasses for like 15 seconds and couldn't read half the text. i'm using the latest franco kernel which used to include the color calibration patch but not anymore i guess. franco's got a color control app for his kernel but it only made my phone look totally broken and number entry was totally hosed, you could only increase gamma levels by like 7-15 units at a time at random intervals

There used to be this color calibration patch from jelly bean that worked on basically every jelly beam rom but it breaks kitkat. I can't find any new fixes that aren't from 2012, how do i fix it on kit kat? jesus

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nigga crab pollock posted:

Ive been using an old beta for paranoid android since like october of 2013 and i just updated to the latest paranoid android, i can't seem to fix the washed out gamma problem that the nexus 4 has. its so awful i woke up this morning and stared at the google now screen without my glasses for like 15 seconds and couldn't read half the text. i'm using the latest franco kernel which used to include the color calibration patch but not anymore i guess. franco's got a color control app for his kernel but it only made my phone look totally broken and number entry was totally hosed, you could only increase gamma levels by like 7-15 units at a time at random intervals

There used to be this color calibration patch from jelly bean that worked on basically every jelly beam rom but it breaks kitkat. I can't find any new fixes that aren't from 2012, how do i fix it on kit kat? jesus
Now that we have Xposed no one runs ROMs on Nexus devices anymore.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Justin Case, who previously rooted the Moto X, has figured out how to unlock the bootloader for I think the entire 2013 Droid line. Currently he's only updated the exploit tool to work with the Verizon Moto G but support for the rest of the devices should be added over the next week. He is charging $25/device for it though.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/19/sunshine-bootloader-unlock-tool-adds-support-for-verizon-moto-g-more-motorola-devices-to-come-soon/

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Wanting the ability to change a few dumb cosmetic things is a pretty poor reason to want to root my HTC One M8, yeah?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I just got a replacement Sprint HTC One M7 and would like to root so I can restore all of my apps and settings from a Titanium backup. On my last phone, I had TWRP and was unable to update ROMs for the longest time because it wouldn't let me install OTA ROMs and I couldn't find good alternatives that didn't have a bunch of other junk. It could just be thatI couldn't sort out what the right method was, but I felt kind of stuck on an old ROM.

Is there a recommended recovery that will let me update to OTA or other stock ROMs easily, even if I eventually lose root?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

porkface posted:

I just got a replacement Sprint HTC One M7 and would like to root so I can restore all of my apps and settings from a Titanium backup. On my last phone, I had TWRP and was unable to update ROMs for the longest time because it wouldn't let me install OTA ROMs and I couldn't find good alternatives that didn't have a bunch of other junk. It could just be thatI couldn't sort out what the right method was, but I felt kind of stuck on an old ROM.

Is there a recommended recovery that will let me update to OTA or other stock ROMs easily, even if I eventually lose root?
The recovery has nothing to do with it. The stock recovery can only flash signed updates and a custom recovery can flash anything, including signed updates. If you were having trouble updating it was likely because you removed or changed stock system files. The way an update works is that it first checks a list of system files including system apps and generates a hash then it compares that to what's in the update to ensure that they're all present and unchanged and if they were it aborts the update process and returns an error. There's no way around this if you want to accept OTAs.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

LastInLine posted:

The recovery has nothing to do with it. The stock recovery can only flash signed updates and a custom recovery can flash anything, including signed updates. If you were having trouble updating it was likely because you removed or changed stock system files. The way an update works is that it first checks a list of system files including system apps and generates a hash then it compares that to what's in the update to ensure that they're all present and unchanged and if they were it aborts the update process and returns an error. There's no way around this if you want to accept OTAs.
That makes sense I guess. When it would reboot to attempt installing an update it didn't appear to even try and there was nothing in the error log. However when I tried manually installing the updates it would error on checksum and I just figured TWRP was the culprit since I was trying to flash an unaltered stock Sprint ROM.

If I just want to restore my apps and settings from Titanium and not worry about keeping root after that, should I just install TWRP again and root it like I did before? Will that allow me to flash future Sprint updates if I don't mess around with system files?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

porkface posted:

That makes sense I guess. When it would reboot to attempt installing an update it didn't appear to even try and there was nothing in the error log. However when I tried manually installing the updates it would error on checksum and I just figured TWRP was the culprit since I was trying to flash an unaltered stock Sprint ROM.
If you got a checksum error it's because you changed something in /system on the ROM you're attempting to flash over top of. Did you remove or rename any bloatware apps?

porkface posted:

If I just want to restore my apps and settings from Titanium and not worry about keeping root after that, should I just install TWRP again and root it like I did before? Will that allow me to flash future Sprint updates if I don't mess around with system files?
Well you're probably in a pickle. Usually you can't root the same way you did the first time after an update as the update itself removes the exploit you used the first time around.

Let me start by saying you probably won't be able to get everything the way it was originally without wiping and finding a stock image to flash. You might get lucky, so start by trying to undo all the changes you made after rooting it originally (usually stuff like removing bloatware, but some people try editing the build.prop or doing theming stuff). Assuming that's not possible you'll want to move your backups somewhere safe off the phone then flashing a stock ROM you found somewhere. You can try flashing right over top of your existing install and hoping it repairs/replaces the things you altered or removed. If that doesn't work then wiping and starting fresh is your only option.

If that's the case you could alternately try to find a stock, rooted image of the version you're trying to upgrade to which is probably preferable to trying to get the OTA to take. But if you can't find that or you just like pain you can flash the stock ROM then use the OTA to update.

After that you need to root the OTA version which again probably removed the original root exploit. Assuming that works you can root then put the files back on the phone (if you lost them during the previous work) and restoring your data with Titanium.

There's no way to really avoid this ordeal when more OTAs come. You can leave it stock (assuming that the stock rooted version is actually stock and isn't de-bloated or some such) or if you took the OTA you can not gently caress with it (rooting itself will not block OTAs, you have to make active changes, and if the last OTA took and you just rooted it will take an OTA in the future) and then future updates will work, albeit losing root in the process and likely preventing you from re-rooting at least for a time.

This, by the way, is why if you care about root you want to avoid devices that actively prevent you from doing it and just deal with Nexus devices. If that's not something you're willing to do, then you're pretty much forced to do all of the above every time there's an update. You can't really get around it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Anyone still rocking an HP Touchpad? We used to have a thread somewhere, but it dropped off my bookmarks.

Anyway, I'm still rocking CM9 on it, which was fine for quite a while, but now I'm getting tons of force-closures on it, reboots, and apps like chrome will no longer update (perpetually downloading).

I'm fine with Android 4.0, but if there's something better, I'd happily upgrade, but I'd just need it fully functional (including wifi and bluetooth). XDA has some 4.4 builds, but most seem broken in one or both of those areas. I keep it in my kitchen on the touchstone, and use it as a streaming music player to a bluetooth speaker, along with a quick web reference.

Any recommendations?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Civil posted:

Anyone still rocking an HP Touchpad? We used to have a thread somewhere, but it dropped off my bookmarks.

Anyway, I'm still rocking CM9 on it, which was fine for quite a while, but now I'm getting tons of force-closures on it, reboots, and apps like chrome will no longer update (perpetually downloading).

I'm fine with Android 4.0, but if there's something better, I'd happily upgrade, but I'd just need it fully functional (including wifi and bluetooth). XDA has some 4.4 builds, but most seem broken in one or both of those areas. I keep it in my kitchen on the touchstone, and use it as a streaming music player to a bluetooth speaker, along with a quick web reference.

Any recommendations?

Honestly, if that is all you are using it for I'd stick with WebOS. I still have mine, cm9 as well, and every time it boots into WebOS it feels soo much better. But with that its basically a web browser and a music player. I'm not sure if you can even download any apps, didn't the webos store get shut down? I was always having to update the CM version to the newest nightly and I don't think any of them ever ended up being 'good'. Just mostly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I'd like to root my Nexus 5 and get my GravityBox on. Do I just follow the instructions on XDA, or is there a better way? Also, what's the best way to back up all my stuff before messing with my phone? I checked the OP, but it's old.