Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

notaspy posted:

This is my favourite part of this. You have the anti-European UNION parties saying that they are pro UNIONIST.

The hypocrisy of the argument is amazing.

That's not an inherently contradictory position unless you take the view that all unions have identical merits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

vodkat posted:

Ha! The Westminster crowd looks like its in full panic over Scottish Independence, something they had done there best to ignore until now, although I imagine having our glorious leaders make a trip up north is only going to spur on the yes campaign.

aren't they just! Just been on the Telegraph website & it's loving hilarious: the paper's predicting imminent doom and its squad of commentary-writers are in complete meltdown (apparently it's all evil Labour's fault). They'll run out of outrage long before next Thursday, at this rate.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Umiapik posted:

(apparently it's all evil Labour's fault)
Well, it kind of is. Scotland was handed to the SNP on a platter when New Labour turned out to be a bunch of crypto-Tories.

I'm guessing that's not the argument the Telegraph is making though.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

notaspy posted:

This is my favourite part of this. You have the anti-European UNION parties saying that they are pro UNIONIST.

The hypocrisy of the argument is amazing.

but Ukip / Farage ain't anarchists
their stance against the EU doesn't come from a princpled of opposing all political unions.

I don't see any hypocrisy in saying that the total Atlantic archipelago (give or take) is the perfect size for government and shouldn't be split up into smaller units or subsumed into a larger entity.
Don't agree mind you.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I'm very glad the new thread title highlights one of the most ridiculous newspaper stories I've ever seen. As we all know, Scotland wants to leave the union because we haven't been having enough royal babies, and no other reason.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Cameron's reaction to scotland is utterly incredible. I know that the last couple of years I have used the phrase "beyond parody", well, beyond parody, about the Tories, but get this:

Cameron is actually trying to keep Britain together by having a Scottish flag flying on the flagpole above Downing street. Somehow he, or his advisors, have come up with the idea of flying a bit of coloured cloth above his house as the best answer they have to staring down the barrel of a country about to democratically vote to leave the UK after decades of incompetent government and at least a year of utter contempt for the idea from the UK government and press, which has included at times ideas to fiscally punish Scotland for having the temerity to hold a vote and leave.

And on top of this, when they tried to run it up the flagpole on Sky news a while ago, they hosed it up - the rope snapped and the flag dropped off.

Beyond. Motherfucking. Parody.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
I'm finding the whole thing upsetting.

To having people I thought were friend calling me a traitor, to the spate of nastiness.

Coming from Glasgow, it just reminded me of the worst times of Sectarianism.

Edit: Replaced type: "tims of Sectarianism". with "times of Sectarianism". Bit of a freudian slip?

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Zero Gravitas posted:

Cameron's reaction to scotland is utterly incredible. I know that the last couple of years I have used the phrase "beyond parody", well, beyond parody, about the Tories, but get this:

Cameron is actually trying to keep Britain together by having a Scottish flag flying on the flagpole above Downing street. Somehow he, or his advisors, have come up with the idea of flying a bit of coloured cloth above his house as the best answer they have to staring down the barrel of a country about to democratically vote to leave the UK after decades of incompetent government and at least a year of utter contempt for the idea from the UK government and press, which has included at times ideas to fiscally punish Scotland for having the temerity to hold a vote and leave.

And on top of this, when they tried to run it up the flagpole on Sky news a while ago, they hosed it up - the rope snapped and the flag dropped off.

When I heard about Miliband saying people should "fly the saltire over all the UK" I thought it was a bit dumb but whatever. When that loving flag dropped off I felt like I was watching The Thick of It. This whole thing really has been an omnishambles.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I have had no particular strong feelings about whether the scots git tae gently caress or not, but seeing the massive panic among the politicians here, and the potential for damage to the political system makes me long for a strong yes vote, provided my scotch doesn't cost any more

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

StoicFnord posted:

I'm finding the whole thing upsetting.

To having people I thought were friend calling me a traitor, to the spate of nastiness.

Coming from Glasgow, it just reminded me of the worst times of Sectarianism.

Edit: Replaced type: "tims of Sectarianism". with "times of Sectarianism". Bit of a freudian slip?

That's very unfortunate if people are calling you a traitor for voting however you feel is right and in the best interest of the country. Is this widespread? I mean I saw a friend get quite upset when she found out her partner was only planning to vote Yes to stop her going on, and was a bit shocked. I get that it's important, but this sort of reaction still shocked me. It's all seemed pretty reasonable from my own experience, be sad if it goes nasty. Regardless of which side wins the vote, we're still going to be living in the same country and we need to accept the vote, however it goes. I'll be upset if it's a No vote in the end, of course I will. But I don't plan on losing friends over it, and people who do are stupid and short-sighted.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

forkboy84 posted:

That's very unfortunate if people are calling you a traitor for voting however you feel is right and in the best interest of the country. Is this widespread? I mean I saw a friend get quite upset when she found out her partner was only planning to vote Yes to stop her going on, and was a bit shocked. I get that it's important, but this sort of reaction still shocked me. It's all seemed pretty reasonable from my own experience, be sad if it goes nasty. Regardless of which side wins the vote, we're still going to be living in the same country and we need to accept the vote, however it goes. I'll be upset if it's a No vote in the end, of course I will. But I don't plan on losing friends over it, and people who do are stupid and short-sighted.

I don't get a vote (Currently living in Cambridge).

There has been some very nasty rhetoric online. If you don't think so, poo up a twitter message saying you vote no and tag it #indyref, and wait.

For me, it was a person i thought was a friend actually calling me a traitor, and telling me i somehow don't love my country, because i'd rather it went with No.

I'm seeing a swathe of nastiness.

And, far be it being limited to one side, there's' No voters who have been horrific to people who are expressing their hopes for an independant Scotland.

How will the losing side react in terms of a vote that doesnt go their way?

I know id probably want to get drunk. Its a pity i cant!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Umiapik posted:

aren't they just! Just been on the Telegraph website & it's loving hilarious: the paper's predicting imminent doom and its squad of commentary-writers are in complete meltdown (apparently it's all evil Labour's fault). They'll run out of outrage long before next Thursday, at this rate.

:stare:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nice, they're already laying the groundwork demonising him for a coup attempt when he is President of all Scotland

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zero Gravitas posted:

:stare:

At this stage I wouldn't be surprised to see a photo-op of Cameron chowing down on a haggis.

(Miliband too, though his track record for that sort of thing is not great)

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

It's a step up from being compared with Mugabe... right?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Shyrka posted:

It's a step up from being compared with Mugabe... right?

From New Statesman after Darling suggested Salmond was Kim-Jong-Il

A lovely UKIP intervention which also references Daleks

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

StoicFnord posted:

There has been some very nasty rhetoric online. If you don't think so, poo up a twitter message saying you vote no and tag it #indyref, and wait.

For me, it was a person i thought was a friend actually calling me a traitor, and telling me i somehow don't love my country, because i'd rather it went with No.

And, far be it being limited to one side, there's' No voters who have been horrific to people who are expressing their hopes for an independant Scotland.

People tend to be nasty online where they are anonymous, and yeah twitter is especially bad, but I haven't encountered any nastiness in person. In fact I've been very pleasantly surprised by how reasonable the non-online discussion has been, from canvassers from both sides, and from talking to friends and family. I was just at a friend's engagement party where the room was pretty evenly split (even the happy couple were on opposite sides) and there was some nice drunken discussion on the referendum. I even got into a debate with a homeless guy when I went out for a smoke (he was a committed no).

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

marktheando posted:

People tend to be nasty online where they are anonymous, and yeah twitter is especially bad, but I haven't encountered any nastiness in person. In fact I've been very pleasantly surprised by how reasonable the non-online discussion has been, from canvassers from both sides, and from talking to friends and family. I was just at a friend's engagement party where the room was pretty evenly split (even the happy couple were on opposite sides) and there was some nice drunken discussion on the referendum. I even got into a debate with a homeless guy when I went out for a smoke (he was a committed no).

I've been doing canvassing and the most hostile receptions you get are from people who are in the middle of something or think it's too late in the day for people to be knocking on their door. The 'nastiness' thing simply isn't real on the street.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I was out at a local Wetherspoons at the weekend with a couple of friends and almost everyone in the place was talking about the referendum. Of my friends one's on the No side, one's still undecided and I'm on Yes so we ended up having a nice conversation about it all. Hell, even in the toilets of the club we went to people were grouped up talking about voting Yes or No in a drunken but amicable state. It was pretty awesome to see.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
UKMT hivemind: What kind of effect does being turned down for car insurance have on a potential quote? I had that whole messy business where a misunderstanding on my part led to Hastings turning me down, and my current insurance runs out in a couple of months.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I don't think it matters?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

StoicFnord posted:

I'm not going to doubt your experience, and yeah, there's undeniably cretins online with no tolerance for opposing views, but on the streets of Inverness (& the little time I've spent in Glasgow last weekend) at least the atmosphere has never been nasty. Passionate, but I've certainly not seen or heard very much in the way of vitriol. Obviously there is some folk who take it take it too far (and not exclusive to either side, Jim Murphy was hardly the only campaigner to be hit by an egg), but generally the debate has been healthy, and it's everywhere. I can't see it as a bad thing, it's just gotten so many people talking about politics for the first time, which is very exciting in itself.

Ultimately people online will be cocks about just about anything. I don't think it's a reflection on how divided Scottish society is or isn't.

How the losers will react? I expect there will be a day or two of being sad and grumpy before getting back to reality and trying to make whatever our future is work. I'll be loving inconsolable if we vote no for a while, maybe a couple of hours, but hey, I've lived through Tories winning elections without offing myself or starting a guerilla war, so I imagine I'll just about cope once I manage to grab some perspective. And I can't see it being much different. I'd guess if No wins indy campaigners will console themselves with how close they came and trying again in 10-15 years time.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Renaissance Robot posted:

Whenever I need to cheer myself up about our national situation, I go and read the Japan thread for a bit.
I recommend the Eastern Europe thread.

At least there won't be any little green men influencing the outcome of this vote for separation...

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

StoicFnord posted:

You are a traitor. I'm not calling for you to be shot but you are a traitor. So is most of the left in regard to Scottish independence. Wanting the UK to be broken up for vague reasons of spiting the tories or the laughable promise that it will inspire greater social fairness in England, is complete and utter nonsense. What we'll have is too weaker countries, one leftist, one rightest. Both economically troubled and weak in the face of a rising China and Russia. Scotland will be subsumed within the EU and either lose its identity (but for some weird reason it won't bother them this time) or worse, the EU will end up under the thumb of Russia. England will either face the same fate or worse, split from the EU and be isolated. The future looks loving great my leftist comrade.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
:cawg:

StoicFnord posted:

I'd be more surprised if this type of poo poo wasn't happening

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Regarde Aduck posted:

You are a traitor. I'm not calling for you to be shot but you are a traitor...

This is every bit as crazy as some of the absurd tripe the nationalists come up with FYI.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

You are a traitor. I'm not calling for you to be shot but you are a traitor. So is most of the left in regard to Scottish independence. Wanting the UK to be broken up for vague reasons of spiting the tories or the laughable promise that it will inspire greater social fairness in England, is complete and utter nonsense. What we'll have is too weaker countries, one leftist, one rightest. Both economically troubled and weak in the face of a rising China and Russia. Scotland will be subsumed within the EU and either lose its identity (but for some weird reason it won't bother them this time) or worse, the EU will end up under the thumb of Russia. England will either face the same fate or worse, split from the EU and be isolated. The future looks loving great my leftist comrade.

On top of this being exceedingly stupid in general, but you didn't even manage to read StoicFnord's post. Let me quote him for you: "because i'd rather it went with No."

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
edit: wrong thread.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Regarde Aduck posted:

I love that you were so desperate to attack the evil traitor yes voter that you didn't even realise he was on your side.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Regarde Aduck posted:

This is better for Yes than any of our campaign materials.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Obliterati posted:

This is better for Yes than any of our campaign materials.

It doesn't say much for your campaign materials if a paywalled post on an American forum is more effective.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Pissflaps posted:

It doesn't say much for your campaign materials if a paywalled post on an American forum is more effective.

beep boop what is jokeeeee :mitt:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Don't make fun of me.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Adrianics posted:

UKMT hivemind: What kind of effect does being turned down for car insurance have on a potential quote? I had that whole messy business where a misunderstanding on my part led to Hastings turning me down, and my current insurance runs out in a couple of months.

I think you have to declare if you have ever been refused insurance when you apply for new insurance... not sure if there is a timeframe (e.g. within the last 6/12 months). If it was for a genuine mistake you might fare better ringing companies you think will give you a decent quote and explaining the circumstances over the phone.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm not sure I can rebut this because I mostly work in the realm of non-fiction

Also as a dangerous marxist I agree with the referendum because nations should have self determination and if it turns out hatespeech and threats of fiscal penalty don't keep them in line maybe we should come up with better plans before Salmond makes us look like we're begging in the mud next to a sad and broken Saltire

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 9, 2014

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Holy poo poo.

Scotland seceding from the union is not going to cause the entirety of Europe to fall under Putin's shadow. He's not Sauron. Well, as far as I know.

Although, at this point I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Russia tried to invade newly independent Scotland while they're temporarily sans EU and NATO membership.

I'm only half joking there.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Regarde Aduck posted:

You are a traitor. I'm not calling for you to be shot but you are a traitor.

I thought traitors had to desert combat or sell state secrets, not cast a vote in a referendum.

I guess Regarde Aduck is a traitor too... to democracy. And he should be shot.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I love this. "Yes, we're living in Misery thanks to the tories, so you should too!"

gently caress that. If Scotland has a chance to get out, good on them. If I could vote, I'd vote yes.

e: It's also great that apparently Scotland is the only thing standing between us and the Mongol Russian hordes, yet they're not important enough to have self-determination in anything. Great work.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

Tim Montgomerie ‏@TimMontgomerie

Spent most of the day in the Commons. Probably talked to 30 Tory MPs. Never known an unhappier party.

Times Columnist/former editor of Conservativehome

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

twoot posted:

Times Columnist/former editor of Conservativehome

:getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsxhMAnglaE

• Locked thread