Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Just read up on this on the forums. This is an incredibly cool series and I would absolutely be down to making an additional CTC team for slow goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Diplomat posted:

Just read up on this on the forums. This is an incredibly cool series and I would absolutely be down to making an additional CTC team for slow goons.

I guess I'll join too. It'll just add to my lovely open-wheel resume. Isn't the L79 the free car for B-Class Road?

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

I would be very interested in a CTC team of some kind. Going to hop on irc tonight and see if anyone's around for a second round at donnington. Perfect chance to try out my new clubsport pedals coming in the mail this afternoon :toot:

thehacker0 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 4, 2014

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I used Tapani's setup (in the L79 forums, Donington thread) unchanged for qual, just upped fuel to 15.5 gal for the race and raised the ride heights to be about the same as the original setup. 18's in qual trim, 19's in race.

e: dammit, I get the alert that my flight departure is being delayed literally just in time to miss signing up for the 1:30 race :mad:

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 4, 2014

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Has anyone been racing the skippy at barber? I really love this track, but it seems like participation is really low and a lot of drivers are struggling with it. It took me probably 2 hours of practice over 3-4 days but I can drive it very consistently and decently quickly at least for my split. In terms of flow, rhythm and fun I think Barber is easily one of the best once you get it down.

Oachkatzlschwoaf
Oct 23, 2006

Two heads are better than one
I'm one of those drivers :v: I've run a couple of races, but haven't managed to get a lap time under 1:40 yet. There are a few points where it's hard to tell what speed you're supposed to be going at. It's great fun though, I love the weird downhill chicane after the hairpin.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

I bought the L79 and have been running it at donnington in between races. I freaking love that car. Compared to all the other open wheelers I have (fw31, skippy, sm) it's super fierce and a ton of fun but very challenging. Definitely gonna work towards racing in either the CTC or the regular races when they go official.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

thehacker0 posted:

I bought the L79 and have been running it at donnington in between races. I freaking love that car. Compared to all the other open wheelers I have (fw31, skippy, sm) it's super fierce and a ton of fun but very challenging. Definitely gonna work towards racing in either the CTC or the regular races when they go official.

If you like the L79, pick of the DW12. They're close in performance.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

If you like the L79, pick of the DW12. They're close in performance.

I have the DW12, but mostly race it on ovals. Still working my way up through the license classes on road though, Just signed up for iracing 3 weeks ago. I started with road (big F1 and road racing fan) then discovered how much fun ovals can be. Got up to A class oval in a week or so, racing mainly indycars. In the past week I've gotten back into road again with the skippy. Took a while to get a handle on that car, but starting next week I'm gonna be focusing on the star mazda (just hit C class). Will check out the DW12 on road once I get there

thehacker0 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 7, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

simble posted:

Yep. Car owns. Track owns. Everything owns.

In other news, I did a two of four split truck race last night that I had no business being in. Didn't die! So that's a win. The truck at Charlotte is pretty fun too. I just have no idea how to go side by side in the corners without killing myself.

Yeah it's tough! But you'll get used to it. Just remember the saying "pass in the straights" and you'll be fine. Well, you pass other people in the straights and keep an eye in case you get dive bombed in the corners. Really, it's just about getting wheel time and knowing how other people think and make sure you can accommodate other people.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
:siren:DRIVER SWAPS COMING:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2UkywPl-Gw&t=427s

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

:staredog:

I can't wait to do endurance goon teams!

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

LordPants posted:

:staredog:

I can't wait to do endurance goon teams!
Time to clean up the logo I started for Chikanye Motorsports.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Holy poo poo, that's awesome. I haven't been racing much as of yet...

...but that's because I'm getting my DFGT tomorrow!! Can't loving wait.

EDIT: Has iRacing ever mentioned doing non-looped tracks for TT and hill-climbing poo poo? I'd love to see Pike's Peak in the game.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 7, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I doubt that would ever happen. Not enough people would do it to justify the costs of scanning a track like that. People have been clamoring for dirt tracks for years and it's still not in. Also, if you post that on the forums, prepared to get yelled at by spergs for no reason. Because simply having something in the game (don't call it that) that they don't like ruins it for them forever.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Seriously, iRacing has the biggest No Fun Brigade I've ever seen in a game.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I have yet to venture out into the iRacing forums and I generally don't in these instances. I'll definitely stay away now. Thanks for the warning.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Overwined posted:

I have yet to venture out into the iRacing forums and I generally don't in these instances. I'll definitely stay away now. Thanks for the warning.

There's good setups, and guides to driving in there. Just stay well away from any discussion topics.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Got my DFGT today and I'm pretty stoked. Messed around for a couple of hours just now and actually found myself getting the hang of things and recording faster and faster times on Okayama Short (the next race in the Mazda Cup series). I even strung together 5 totally clean laps!!

Question though: Is there some sort of tensioner in the wheel itself? The FF is and can be pretty forceful, but when it's not on the wheel is sort of slack and that bugs me. I might be a bit jaded on this point, though, as I personally think electric servo assist steering is the death of pure driving! I drive a 2008 TL with hydraulic assist and while the steering is heavy as gently caress, it also gives a lot of feedback. I've come to miss it in every other car I drive.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have the earlier DFP (the Gran Turismo 4 wheel) and the software for it has at least three sliders for force feedback...a master level, dampening, and centering spring.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Overwined posted:

Got my DFGT today and I'm pretty stoked. Messed around for a couple of hours just now and actually found myself getting the hang of things and recording faster and faster times on Okayama Short (the next race in the Mazda Cup series). I even strung together 5 totally clean laps!!

Question though: Is there some sort of tensioner in the wheel itself? The FF is and can be pretty forceful, but when it's not on the wheel is sort of slack and that bugs me. I might be a bit jaded on this point, though, as I personally think electric servo assist steering is the death of pure driving! I drive a 2008 TL with hydraulic assist and while the steering is heavy as gently caress, it also gives a lot of feedback. I've come to miss it in every other car I drive.

Check out the iracing forums. This link walks you through the settings to set both in-game and in your logitech profile for optimal ffb. It's long, and seems complicated but its really fairly simple.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/2023748.page

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

thehacker0 posted:

Check out the iracing forums. This link walks you through the settings to set both in-game and in your logitech profile for optimal ffb. It's long, and seems complicated but its really fairly simple.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/2023748.page

Thanks for the link. Lots of great info there. It would seem to be worth it to spend an hour or so setting up and understanding FFB.

The DFGT is great itself, though the pedals suck. It's not enough to ruin the experience though. Very happy with my purchase.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I've seen suggestions to wedge a small squash or tennis ball behind the brake pedal, and then recalibrate. Supposedly this provides a way better brake feeling.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Bentai posted:

I've seen suggestions to wedge a small squash or tennis ball behind the brake pedal, and then recalibrate. Supposedly this provides a way better brake feeling.

Also great advice. I don't expect anything by way of feel out of an accelerator, but yeah I find myself way off on my brake pressures so far.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Not sure about the DFGT but I bought a special brake pedal spring for my G27 that makes it a lot better

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

Is there a way to join a qualifying session before it starts so I don't lose nearly a minute and a half of time waiting for it to load/checking my setup is correct?

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

You can click Test Car on Track, I don't know if it has the same track conditions.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Overwined posted:

Thanks for the link. Lots of great info there. It would seem to be worth it to spend an hour or so setting up and understanding FFB.

The DFGT is great itself, though the pedals suck. It's not enough to ruin the experience though. Very happy with my purchase.

It really is absolutely worth it. Following the guide in that link you can basically achieve consistent ffb across all cars/tracks. It's not necessarily exactly the same but it's close, and really helps when you race multiple series.

Probably the most important thing is using the wheel check application to set your minimum force. It's absolutely huge and makes the information you get from your wheels ffb far more valuable and accurate

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Bumming Your Scene posted:

You can click Test Car on Track, I don't know if it has the same track conditions.

You still have to exit and reconnect to join the qualifying session.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Turns out I can race the iRacing Street Stock C series this week since it on South Boston. Thing is, that track is loving tiny. 50 laps on that with a bunch of street stock cars can only result in chaos.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

C series racing can sometimes be a little cleaner. Sometimes.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I've never had problems with C street stock the few times I've done it. And plus there is yellows to weed out the dumbasses early on.

And plus South Boston loving owns.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
Warning: Drama included, but for a reason. If this was covered and I missed it I'll edit.

So apparently the one guy left at InsideSimRacing was a douche to Empty Box, of YouTube fame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vzSnSNl10U

Darin Gangi posted:

What a drama queen you are Empty Brain.. I could care less that you posted this..Just like I told you in that IM.. Get a life dude.

Which according to posts in thread led to over a thousand people unsubbing from ISR and most of them going straight so Shaun's channel. Point being, I had no idea Shaun was still doing sim stuff.

So in case you too miss the bald guy from InsideSimRacing:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqnakdO0DZ7w3ne7-EmaW7w

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Simpit is really good and it shows who had the talent at ISR. Bonus is that he reviews Fanatec stuff because he isn't a giant crybaby. Darin has been really annoying over the past several months and he brought it all on himself.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I still don't have a wheel. But one thing that occurred to me is that attaching a wheel to my desk will cause my monitor to wobble like hell which will probably become very annoying. But the only way of solving it is to buy one of those wheel mount things. Oh well, maybe it won't be so bad.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Torabi posted:

I still don't have a wheel. But one thing that occurred to me is that attaching a wheel to my desk will cause my monitor to wobble like hell which will probably become very annoying. But the only way of solving it is to buy one of those wheel mount things. Oh well, maybe it won't be so bad.

How big is your desk? The larger surface area of the desk, the less impact force feedback will have on what's sitting on your desk. Plus if your monitor has a good stand it won't be an issue unless your monitor is right next to your wheel housing.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

KingShibby posted:

How big is your desk? The larger surface area of the desk, the less impact force feedback will have on what's sitting on your desk. Plus if your monitor has a good stand it won't be an issue unless your monitor is right next to your wheel housing.

My desk is pretty huge, my BenQ monitor has a rather wobbly stand, or so it feels at times. But I'm sure it will be fine. If not I can just put something under the monitor itself to add more support.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Torabi posted:

My desk is pretty huge, my BenQ monitor has a rather wobbly stand, or so it feels at times. But I'm sure it will be fine. If not I can just put something under the monitor itself to add more support.

That's good, a wobbly monitor is a terrible reason to not get a wheel.

Turns out I'm not reffing any football tonight (which is perfect since it's been raining all day) so I'll be racing tonight!

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

I started with a G27 on my desk. There was some wobble but it wasn't game-breaking. I ordered a wheelstandpro shortly after getting my wheel, which is really great. I still sit at the desk with the wheel stand slid underneath.

I definitely would recommend it to anyone who isn't quite ready to get a rig. Allows you to race at your desk without using the desk clamps, and you can stow it away easily or move it in front of the TV. Plus everything is hard mounted to the stand, so no wobble, no unstable table clamps, and no movement of the pedals.

thehacker0 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

thehacker0 posted:

I started with a G27 on my desk. There was some wobble but it wasn't game-breaking. I ordered a wheelstandpro shortly after getting my wheel, which is really great. I still sit at the desk with the wheel stand slid underneath. It's really nice to be able to move it out of the way or fold it up when I'm playing other games or working.

My Christmas present to myself this year is down to either a Playstation 4 or a racing cockpit. Right now I'm leaning towards the PS4 then getting the cockpit once I get my tax refund.

• Locked thread