Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Honestly my problem is with the ellipses on the hammer. "the power of... Thor" Geez, Odin, way to be melodramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SynthOrange posted:

It bothers me more that the wording is upside down.

Well if it's dropped on the ground, it's not gonna be laying with the handle down.

But also: it's magic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shouldn't it be in runes or something anyway? That's the pandering, to Earth English readers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Honestly my problem is with the ellipses on the hammer. "the power of... Thor" Geez, Odin, way to be melodramatic.

Kirby's Norse pantheon? BOMBASTIC AND FLAMBOYANT AND MELODRAMATIC!? SURELY YOU JEST GOON SIR

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guys don't let Irish Joe troll you ok.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Also, that's total one of his granddaughters, right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

Also, that's total one of his granddaughters, right?

Well it's gotta be someone who can walk on the moon, and it doesn't look like they need a spacesuit to do it, so odds on an Asgardian are lookin' high.

mind the walrus posted:

Kirby's Norse pantheon? BOMBASTIC AND FLAMBOYANT AND MELODRAMATIC!? SURELY YOU JEST GOON SIR

Touche I guess.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

quote:

Whosoever holds this hammer, if he she s/he it they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Whoever draws this hammer,
if they don't feel like being
too tied down to details,
may make the text appear or disappear...
AS NEEDED.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

No kidding. I figured that was a dumb addition, but I guess not.

Also, Odin must have changed the line wrapping over the years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a magic enchantment, so it just auto-adjusts to the reader, just like it can decide that Tony Stark driving Thor around in his car doesn't count as lifting Mjolnir, but if he tries to pick it up wearing armor that's a no-go.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Do we have any panels of Thor in a car? It just seems fundamentally goofy to me, like Spider-Man on the subway, or that panel of Like Cage in an elevator.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Precambrian posted:

Do we have any panels of Thor in a car? It just seems fundamentally goofy to me, like Spider-Man on the subway, or that panel of Like Cage in an elevator.

Here are the Avengers getting on a bus

Here he is on a truck

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

I hate how old artwork is sometimes just so unrealistic and hokey because in real life every one of those passengers would be giving the Avengers the finger in the last panel.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

bb

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 6, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

bobkatt013 posted:

"Our butler is calling taxis for you..." you snobby bastard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the panel immediately before that, because it's Iron Man going, "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE... er, on the corner outside."

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I liked in old comics where heroes would try to pull poo poo like that and the regular civilian dogsbodies would always give them poo poo. gently caress you Iron Man, saviour of the world, this is MY bus.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
I dunno, my morning time on the subway is holy. Woe befalls anyone who disturbs my looking out of the window, why, I might even give them a sharp look!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

I liked in old comics where heroes would try to pull poo poo like that and the regular civilian dogsbodies would always give them poo poo. gently caress you Iron Man, saviour of the world, this is MY bus.
I learnt a new word, ma!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Pierson posted:

Blame Henry Peter Gyrich for that one. He said no Avengers you can not save the world and we are not allowing you to use any of your stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pierson posted:

redbackground posted:

I learnt a new word, ma!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Possibly the plot for the next Speed movie under Disneys umbrella?

I'd watch it

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Thor, The Vision, Captain Marvel and Iron Man can fly, what the hell are they doing in a bus?

loving Quicksilver is there too!

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Blame Henry Peter Gyrich for that one. He said no Avengers you can not save the world and we are not allowing you to use any of your stuff.

What is Gyrich's problem anyway? Does he just hate the Avengers or is he just an rear end in a top hat?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dr. Hurt posted:

What is Gyrich's problem anyway? Does he just hate the Avengers or is he just an rear end in a top hat?

He was originally just the ultimate bureaucrat, and he doesn't like the idea that the fate of the world lies in the hands of entirely unsupervised entities. He loves paperwork, accountability, and red tape. Over the years they made him just hate superheroes in general and then be a corrupt, spiteful piece of poo poo, especially in Brubaker's Captain America and Dan Slott's abysmal The Initiative.

It strikes me as pretty contradictory to his character to have him break the rules he was introduced as loving, but he's an easy boogeyman since he essentially represents The Establishment.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Didn't he turn out to be Mystique's son at one point?

edit: I think I was thinking of Graydon Creed.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 9, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

loving Quicksilver is there too!

Hey man, all that running is tiring. Maybe he needs a break.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the given reason is that they were off to confront a guy who had all the powers of Galactus and decided they should all go at once.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the given reason is that they were off to confront a guy who had all the powers of Galactus and decided they should all go at once.

You can get whiplash reading those issues, going from obnoxious government bureaucrat to guy who literally kills all of them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

You can get whiplash reading those issues, going from obnoxious government bureaucrat to guy who literally kills all of them.

I remember getting the Avengers Legends Vol. 2 trade (which reprinted the Korvac Saga) about 10 years ago, and my brother and I spent far too long trying to puzzle out the cover to Avengers #177. We were convinced the blonde guy was Korvac killing Hawkeye, and it took us ages to work out that it was meant to be Don Blake trying to recussitate him.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC just previewed Darwyn Cooke variant covers and they all need to go directly to this thread.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 9, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

DC just previewed some Darwyn Cooke variant covers and they need to go directly to this thread.

Oh my god, the Super-Horse that loves Supergirl? Fantastic. Creepily fantastic.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Teenage Fansub posted:

DC just previewed Darwyn Cooke variant covers and they all need to go directly to this thread.

I love his work on New Frontier, it's universally gorgeous. The only issue I had was that with a cast of dozens it did get kind of difficult to tell who they all were unless they were in capes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

God Cooke drawing modern Cyborg looks so..... wrong....

Still the rest is fantastic. Dude is one of the few guys who makes me give a poo poo about Silver Age DC.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've seen his stuff before, but I never realised just how much his stuff looks like the art in the Robin: Year One and Batgirl: Year One. I like that. Maybe a touch of Mignola in distance shots, especially in the JL:Dark cover. I really like that.

Also I think that's the best N52 Harley I've seen officially.

And probably best of all, it looks fun.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I want this hanging on my wall.

What's amusing about his artwork is that his stuff is so bright and vibrant that it almost makes you think you are going to read a happy optimistic comicbook.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I want this hanging on my wall.

What's amusing about his artwork is that his stuff is so bright and vibrant that it almost makes you think you are going to read a happy optimistic comicbook.

These should all come with warning stickers saying "It's all downhill from here."

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Looked it up to confirm, but I definitely caught on that he was the animator/designer for the Batman and Batman Beyond series. Even outside of animation, it looks really amazing; very bright and energetic. And best of all, all of his women superheroes don't feel like creepy TA. The Parker graphic novels he illustrated look great, I'm gonna have to add it to my wish list.

And, uh, I knew of Krypto, but why in the hell is there a Super Horse and a Super Cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Looked it up to confirm, but I definitely caught on that he was the animator/designer for the Batman and Batman Beyond series. Even outside of animation, it looks really amazing; very bright and energetic. And best of all, all of his women superheroes don't feel like creepy TA. The Parker graphic novels he illustrated look great, I'm gonna have to add it to my wish list.

And, uh, I knew of Krypto, but why in the hell is there a Super Horse and a Super Cat?

You don't know Comet the Superhorse? Oh, are you in for some fun.