Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Supposedly Russia Today just attacked me, part of which was falsely claiming I was on the dole, anyone happen to see it?

Sounds like you're doing good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If we crank up nuclear weapon manufacturing again wouldn't that be a Federal jobs program? If we're working with atoms again maybe we should focus on nuclear power instead.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Holy poo poo so apparently good ol' Pravda has advanced into the information age with an English website:

United Totalitarian Police States does have a nice ring to it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia's press speak as though we are already at war, perhaps they possess wishful thinking? Be careful, etc.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Typo posted:

Just implement an upvote/downvote system on your comment section, that'll keep the trolls down at least

Look at any news site with up/down voting's comments and you'll see that isn't the case.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Post the interview, I want to read the Americanist's analysis.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Might I suggest charging $0.25 to make a comments post. :getin:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Typo posted:

Holy poo poo so apparently good ol' Pravda has advanced into the information age with an English website:

Lol, literally а у вас негров линчуют.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Typo posted:

Pravda.ru has been around forever and has always been a WND-esque lizard people conspiracy website. It is not affiliated with the Pravda of the USSR days, which is still around and is still the official newspaper of the Communist Party.

John McCain did not know this and published a very angry editorial on Pravda.ru a few years ago, because he is an idiot.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Heliosicle posted:

Look at any news site with up/down voting's comments and you'll see that isn't the case.

Yeah, all of the Ukraine-related news on CBC gets flooded with Russian trolls who upvote each others' (or their own) comments 50-odd times. Today's wisdom is that the high-velocity objects that struck MH17 must have been bullets from a Ukrainian plane's machinegun. I don't know how many people even bother to read those comments but it seems like only limited effort is required to get a few tens of votes to spam the site. Fortunately, the default ordering is by date, not by upvotes.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Tagesschau and Spiegel are also full of 'See? It was homonazi bullets after all!' comments.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Netherlands doing some helpful Ready-For-The-Arctic renovation projects?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxG0a3gIcAAxcCZ.jpg:large

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's my contribution on MH17 on Sky News
https://skynews.grabyo.com/g/v/iWzhIQxAoll

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Here's my contribution on MH17 on Sky News
https://skynews.grabyo.com/g/v/iWzhIQxAoll

You had mentioned something earlier about using social media aggregation software for intelligence purposes like this and you were going to work with a company to develop some of these processes. Any updates on that stuff? Seems like a very interesting potential technology.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Gunktacular posted:

You had mentioned something earlier about using social media aggregation software for intelligence purposes like this and you were going to work with a company to develop some of these processes. Any updates on that stuff? Seems like a very interesting potential technology.

I've helped out CrisisNET with their platform, that's very much about crunching data and turning it into something usable, and I'm currently working with Right Now Media on a proposal to create a site based on their Sport Right Now site, which allows social media accounts to be tagged in a database, then sorted on their front end. They've done it for football teams, I'm doing for Syrian opposition groups, to bring order to the 1000s of Syrian social media accounts.

Just saw the Russia Today clip, it was pretty funny really. They've got Bryan MacDonald giving his "expert" analysis, he deduces I'm on the dole because "they're" (Bellingcat) are on Twitter all day, and implies some nefarious funding. The Russia Today host then goes on to suggest "citizen reporters" are a "dangerous trend, to say the least", and Bryan adds "anyone can say anything when they're anonymous, it's called trolling I think". I hope they get the clip on YouTube so I can share it, it's really peak Russia Today.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

Netherlands doing some helpful Ready-For-The-Arctic renovation projects?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxG0a3gIcAAxcCZ.jpg:large

Hauling what looks to be a pair of Akula SSNs? :confused:
What's the story behind this?

e: Did some searching; Russia contracted with the company Dockwise to haul two very decrepit Akula I SSNs from their Pacific Fleet base to Severodvinsk for overhaul.

TasogareNoKagi fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 9, 2014

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

The Russia Today host then goes on to suggest "citizen reporters" are a "dangerous trend, to say the least", and Bryan adds "anyone can say anything when they're anonymous, it's called trolling I think". I hope they get the clip on YouTube so I can share it, it's really peak Russia Today.

Heh, I think they might be onto something there.

How are you dealing with translating the vast amount of material you go though? Do you speak/read russian, or do you have some people helping you?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Gunktacular posted:

How are you dealing with translating the vast amount of material you go though? Do you speak/read russian, or do you have some people helping you?

A lot of the Russian stuff is being done by Russian speakers, so it's not an issue, and I can ask them whenever needed.

Here's the Russia today clip, starts at 5:39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDvCzzrYLM0&t=339s

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

I've helped out CrisisNET with their platform, that's very much about crunching data and turning it into something usable, and I'm currently working with Right Now Media on a proposal to create a site based on their Sport Right Now site, which allows social media accounts to be tagged in a database, then sorted on their front end. They've done it for football teams, I'm doing for Syrian opposition groups, to bring order to the 1000s of Syrian social media accounts.

Just saw the Russia Today clip, it was pretty funny really. They've got Bryan MacDonald giving his "expert" analysis, he deduces I'm on the dole because "they're" (Bellingcat) are on Twitter all day, and implies some nefarious funding. The Russia Today host then goes on to suggest "citizen reporters" are a "dangerous trend, to say the least", and Bryan adds "anyone can say anything when they're anonymous, it's called trolling I think". I hope they get the clip on YouTube so I can share it, it's really peak Russia Today.

Looking forward to seeing this.

cuppy tea
Feb 6, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Brown Moses posted:

A lot of the Russian stuff is being done by Russian speakers, so it's not an issue, and I can ask them whenever needed.

What's the mentality behind these people? Particularly the western ones who go on RT. Do they genuinely believe this nonsense or are they just cynical paid shills?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Both. The human mind is adaptable, and is very good at rationalizing an ideology that also serves the individual's self-interest. This is part of why paranoid schizophrenics can run sites selling different, conflicting conspiracy theories to other conspiracy theorists. Institutions can exploit this. If you pay someone to say something and give them a way to believe it, they will usually start believing it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Well, are you on the dole? :allears:

(Who is Bryan MacDonald? In-house mouthpiece?)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

El Scotch posted:

Well, are you on the dole? :allears:

(Who is Bryan MacDonald? In-house mouthpiece?)

This guy, he's been to journalism school, and is therefore a Proper Journalist.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
These RT guys are state-controlled propagandists and warmongers. I imagine there might be some RUSSIA STRONG sentiments, but I'm fairly sure they're perfectly aware of what they're doing and the repercussions thereof, since they couldn't do their job, to censor and falsify information to fit with the Russian government's goals while shifting focus and blame from actual issues ravaging Russia to minorities and other designated targets, properly if they didn't. Definitely cynical paid shills.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Congrats on the interview, Brown Moses. Well spoken and a great summary for such a small amount of time. I have to laugh a little bit at the presenter holding an iPad, walking in front of three monitors and standing in front of what looks like a Star Trek console.

My two cents for the comments on your site — dump them. There doesn't seem to be any legitimate addition to the conversation based on what's been posted, and the people who think you're a crazy propagandist won't be convinced by the presence of a comments section. So drop them and keep the focus on your own work, and as others have suggested perhaps you could link your articles to some alternate website a la check desk where visitors can continue the discussion.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cocoa Ninja posted:

My two cents for the comments on your site — dump them.

I disagree, I think the idea of logging IPs and looking for patterns is worth keeping in mind.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

McDowell posted:

I disagree, I think the idea of logging IPs and looking for patterns is worth keeping in mind.

Could be interesting. Or even very interesting I think.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

McDowell posted:

What's good about the comments for me is it kind of concentrates the crazy in one place that I was going to read anyway, and this way I'm aware of what arguments the propagandists are employing. A kind of rhetorical honeypot if you will.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Tagesschau and Spiegel are also full of 'See? It was homonazi bullets after all!' comments.

Germany's continuing march into the loving arms of Russia is the most hosed up thing about this. Mainly because they're the defacto head of the EU and shouldn't be trying to sphere themselves.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Regarde Aduck posted:

Germany's continuing march into the loving arms of Russia is the most hosed up thing about this. Mainly because they're the defacto head of the EU and shouldn't be trying to sphere themselves.

You'll note that he said comments as in the comments section that reads like a transcript of your average XBox Live game.

The insinuation here is that Russian astroturfers are flooding european media comments with propaganda garbage.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah. The media coverage of this conflict in Germany is acceptable as is usual.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Parochial interests getting in the way of a grand multi-state project that promises absolute gains for everyone if they would fully commit? Quelle surprise!:monocle:

(or should I say "Was für eine Überraschung"?)

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
:siren: Bellingcat has hit the Russian webspace, I repeat, Bellingcat has hit the Russian webspace.

http://vz.ru/politics/2014/9/9/704737.html posted:

They tried too hard
Bloggers again found no evidence against Russia in the crash of a Malaysian Boeing

Even before the release of the report on the causes of the Malaysian Boeing crash, Russian opposition bloggers knew who to blame for the aircraft accident. At least it followed directly from their statements referencing a series of unconvincing web resources. But the task of writing about the topic of "Russia's guilt for the catastrophe" was executed very poorly.

On Tuesday, international experts who analyzed the data from the "black boxes", provided the public with preliminary results of the crash investigation of the Malaysian Boeing on the territory of Ukraine.

In a report published two months after the disaster, it is noted that the plane disintegrated in the air due to the damage caused by external influences. Evidence of any party to blame for the crash was not presented in the report. Conclusions about who shot down the plane were not included.

All this did not prevent the opposition bloggers on Tuesday morning from opening with a chorus of references to a resource Bellingcat.com, which the author argues that the plane was shot down by Russian Buk, belonging to the 53rd Brigade Russian air defense of Kursk. The text provides a sufficient number of photos on a whole wide range of equipment and even a picture of men taking the oath, however no documented evidence for Donbass militia (and especially not Russian) guilt is in the article.

Reaction to this material, from which absolutely no conclusion follows, was immediate: opposition MP Ilya Ponomarev was one of the first to post on his Facebook page a link to that site, accompanied by feisty comment about the proven guilt.

Following Ponomarev, the information was published by former adviser to the Russian president, economist Andrei Illarionov.

Helping spread the news was known blogger Timur Horev, who was not ashamed to draw far-reaching conclusions: "Boeing airliner was not shot down by militia, but Russian soldiers."

And there were doubters. Social activist Elena Zelinska, concerned about an unexpected revelation, wrote: "Today they promise to publish the results of the investigation of the destruction of the Boeing. Information appears that sort of identified that the equipment was Russian with Russian crew. That is to say, the fault may be on Russia. I was suddenly seized by terror: I knew that no matter how much anyone would try convincing me of that, I would not believe it. The whole body is resisting it. "

Kirill Martynov's body, a philosophy lecturer at the Higher School of Economics, did not resist. The author did not hide his joy from what was happening: "Actually, the reason why everyone is trying to keep quiet about the Boeing is clear. Today, the international commission will talk about Boeing. Malaysian Prime Minister: "The plane was hit by a surface-to-air missile from separatist territory."

A few hours later the International Commission said only that the plane was shot down, and not anything Martynov tried to put in their mouths. But none of the bloggers were bothered by this.

BBC prepared information about the report with a bit more responsibility than Bellingcat. The journalists declared that they found some "witnesses" to the downing of the ill-fated airplane, and on the basis of their testimony several important conclusions were drawn. The article notes that the witnesses saw that Buk was operated by professional Russian soldiers, disciplined, unlike the militias, and talking "with a Muscovite accent".

The English, it appears, seem to believe that the system of accents in the Russian language is arranged in the same way as in Britain, where an Irishman or a Scot can be identified by their pronunciations. In fact, we have to disappoint our colleagues, the pronunciation does not single-out the resident of, say, St. Petersburg: he can speak the same Russian language as the person who was born in Lugansk. Stories by "unnamed witnesses", however, were quite rich: "Well disciplined, they were not dressed in the standard uniform worn by either the government forces or the separatists" - such evidence doesn't warrant any explanation. *)

But the BBC article has played its own role in the story. Gallery owner Marat Gelman, referring to the news report, said that finally "Buk which shot down MH17 was identified as from the 53rd Kursk anti-aircraft brigade. Everything, up to the vehicle number and the operator."

The problem, however, lies in the fact that the text of BBC article had no such allegations, those were from Bellingcat: either Gelman didn't want to cite a questionable website, or he was too ashamed to read the BBC article.

Writer Oleg Kozyrev, without going into any details, after Gelman also decided to refer to the BBC report: "Witnesses saw that the Buk that shot down the Boeing was operated by a Russian crew."

Thus, Marat Gelman's post (whose audience in social networks has more than 14 619 people) was the starting point for the dissemination of this fantasy, in which one media source is referenced, while in reality sourcing another and actually presenting their own private vision of events.

Of course, this story was picked up by Ukrainian journalists, known for their shaky relationship with facts: UNIAN news agency put the news, in which it noted that the plane was hit from below, and refers to the data of the report: "The damage in the front of the aircraft indicate that the aircraft was punctured by a large number of high-energy objects from the exterior," - noted in the official document. According to the document, objects hit the plane from the bottom."

But the source link offered to the readers so they could learn about the direction of the missile leads to another UNIAN news article, in which there is no mention of whether the penetration was from the top or the bottom.

It should be noted that, as reported by the newspaper VZGLYAD, military experts believe that the direction of flight is completely irrelevant to getting to the truth. "A Buk missile hits from above, initially climbing higher than its target. That is the only way, no other is possible" - is the opinion of the chief of army air defense Russian Ground Forces, Major-General Michael Krusha.

Of course, no official information from international experts that the Boeing was hit from below exists in nature.

Neither does nature know an instance when all those, who in the morning were feeding their readers lies, ever apologized.

We've all been long accustomed to this.

Most likely, we will never know who shot down the plane, and who is to blame for the death of civilians from several countries. The new commission will continue to reveal a miserly amount of data.

And if before the next commission report you will read blogs offering you 100% proof that Vladimir Putin assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand, check to see whether it's from the same people that are now spreading these indisputable facts. *)

*) - These sentences are written sarcastically in the original text, if it isn't clear in my translation.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

See how the propaganda is shifting from it definitely was the homonazi junta to we will never know for sure?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

eigenstate posted:

:siren: Bellingcat has hit the Russian webspace, I repeat, Bellingcat has hit the Russian webspace.

*) - These sentences are written sarcastically in the original text, if it isn't clear in my translation.

This is some of the most bizarre word salad I've ever read. Am I misreading it, or is the author basically just saying, "Nuh uh! That's not proof!" to Brown Moses' actual, tangible proof? Like, without elaborating on why he or she thinks it's not proof? Because the rest of his/her argument seems to hinge on that assertion.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

bitcoin bastard posted:

Keeping your options open if BM starts reporting on Israel?

The only bad part about this stupid avatar is that it makes people think I support Israel (I don't.) Much preferred the sweatshop one, I could gladly get behind its supposed message.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Awesome work, Brown Moses. I enjoyed watching those, even the stupid RT video with the "Oh these bloggers on twitter think they're journalists."

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Literal homonazi spotted.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
That's not even an appropriate representation of WWII. Russia won but with like 14 million dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

That's not even an appropriate representation of WWII. Russia won but with like 14 million dead.

Yeah, if anything it was 69ing. With lots of teeth.

• Locked thread