Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

smg77 posted:

Every poll I've seen has Kitzhaber ahead.

What I can't wait for is the Merkley/Wehby debates (if they happen...Wehby's campaign hasn't responded and I'm sure they are trying really hard to find some way out of doing them altogether).

Not an Oregonian, why is Merkley's challenger dodging debates? It's usually the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Not an Oregonian, why is Merkley's challenger dodging debates? It's usually the other way around.
She's crazy. Not as crazy as Art Robinson, but still crazy.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

anthonypants posted:

This is only because nobody's as crazy as Art Robinson.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I lived in Tacoma for several years. The early 90s stereotype of Tacoma being a gang-haven with murders galore is highly exaggerated. In the past 10 years they've cleaned up downtown and the gang activity has dwindled. Portland Ave and South Tacoma Way are still a little sketchy, however.

Oh yeah I realize Tacoma isn't ACTUALLY very bad these days, I was just joking that people are so against saying good things about Tacoma that unless you actually live in Tacoma one's neighbors would react to getting news from the News Tribune with violence.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

This. Plus, she's just not ready. A month or two ago the Oregonian ran a quasi debate between the two. It was pretty apparent from the end result that she was clueless. http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2014/07/merkley_vs_wehby_on_the_issues_14.html

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hedera Helix posted:

This is only because nobody's as crazy as Art Robinson.

*googles Art Robinson*

“Why don’t [unemployed veterans] stay in the military?”

"UN is run amok. They need to either get it's act together, or we get them out of there. It's un-American. UN intends to disarm everyone on the planet. Turns the US into chicken wire with all these corridors. I live on one of those corridors."

"I think the public schools should be abolished."

:staredog:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

*googles Art Robinson*

“Why don’t [unemployed veterans] stay in the military?”

"UN is run amok. They need to either get it's act together, or we get them out of there. It's un-American. UN intends to disarm everyone on the planet. Turns the US into chicken wire with all these corridors. I live on one of those corridors."

"I think the public schools should be abolished."

:staredog:

Art Robinson is a mainstream Republican?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Thanatosian posted:

And the smell is almost tolerable!

I sometimes worry I've grown to like the smell of the Puyallup River.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

IIRC Art Robinson is currently the chairman of the Oregon Republican Party. I hope that never changes.

highme fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 24, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The CEO of the company that caters Safeco Field was shown abusing a dog in an elevator in a Vancouver, BC hotel back in July. Part of his defense was that it wasn't his dog, but that appears to be a lie.

Happy National Dog Day!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I honest believe "abuses dogs" is an absolute and universal measure for a person being an absolute piece of poo poo. Like it's all you need to know about a person, 100% safe to totally judge them entirely on that alone.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I honest believe "abuses dogs" is an absolute and universal measure for a person being an absolute piece of poo poo. Like it's all you need to know about a person, 100% safe to totally judge them entirely on that alone.

Yeah, it is. Measure a man by how he treats his inferiors.

You can measure a woman the same way, that's just the saying as I know it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

bedpan posted:

Art Robinson is a mainstream Republican?

When I google 'Oregon Republican Party chairman' one of the first search results is this:

quote:

"All we need do with nuclear waste is dilute it to a low radiation level and sprinkle it over the ocean—or even over America after hormesis is better understood and verified with respect to more diseases." And: "If we could use it to enhance our own drinking water here in Oregon, where background radiation is low, it would hormetically enhance our resistance to degenerative diseases. Alas, this would be against the law."

:stare:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

smg77 posted:

When I google 'Oregon Republican Party chairman' one of the first search results is this:

Well...

http://www.projectcensored.org/4-recycled-radioactive-metals-may-be-in-your-home/

quote:

Under special government permits, “decontaminated” radioactive metal is being sold to manufacture everything from knives, forks, and belt buckles to zippers, eyeglasses, dental fillings, and IUDs. The Department of Energy (DOE), the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC); and the radioactive metal processing industry are pushing for new regulations that would relax current standards and dispense with the need for special radioactive recycling licensing. By one estimate, the DOE disposed of 7,500 tons of these troublesome metals in 1996 alone. The new standard being sought would allow companies to recycle millions of tons of low-level radioactive metal a year while raising the acceptable levels of millirems (mrems), a unit of measure that estimates the damage radiation does to human tissue. By the NRC’s own estimate, the proposed standards could cause 100,000 cancer fatalities in the United States alone.

Metal companies want to raise the standard from an almost immeasurable amount to something more in the vicinity of 10 mrems per year.

(This was not recent, this was the 90s.)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
this poo poo, some libertarian 'think' tank is boycotting a national holiday because freedom or something also look at this guys head.

Forcing you to work monday for are freedoms

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Reason posted:

this poo poo, some libertarian 'think' tank is boycotting a national holiday because freedom or something also look at this guys head.

Fer gently caress's sake - it's depressing that they aren't a parody.

"I can't think of a problem in society that can't be traced in some way back to the abuses of organized labor, and it would be hypocritical of us to take a day off on its behalf."

Yes, clearly organized labor is the problem, and not decades of neoliberal economics gutting the middle class and concentrating wealth in the hands of a hypercapitalist plutocracy.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

smg77 posted:

Unless the degenerative diseases in question are radiation sickness or cancer caused by ionizing radiation, this wouldn't actually help. Also, he's a madman.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Reason posted:

"I can't think of a problem in society that can't be traced in some way back to the abuses of organized labor, and it would be hypocritical of us to take a day off on its behalf." Societal problems like how the five-day, 40-hour work week is indicative of a lazy work ethic, or how the lack of child labor is what sends all of our manufacturing jobs overseas.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Fer gently caress's sake - it's depressing that they aren't a parody.

"I can't think of a problem in society that can't be traced in some way back to the abuses of organized labor, and it would be hypocritical of us to take a day off on its behalf."

Yes, clearly organized labor is the problem, and not decades of neoliberal economics gutting the middle class and concentrating wealth in the hands of a hypercapitalist plutocracy.

He "works" at a libertarian think tank that funnels corporate money into astroturf campaigns. Isn't every day basically a day off for him?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kaal posted:

He "works" at a libertarian think tank that funnels corporate money into astroturf campaigns. Isn't every day basically a day off for him?

True that. I think this article covers a lot of the origins of modern libertarianism - corporations.

http://www.alternet.org/visions/true-history-libertarianism-america-phony-ideology-promote-corporate-agenda

The fact that what passes for "logic" and "argument" amongst libertarians sounds like bad religious apologetics is not a coincidence, but almost certainly deliberate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If the labor movement was the boogeyman that guy says it is, he'd get a burning trash can through the windshield of his car. Bitches like that shouldn't be safe to haunt my Capitol.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

True that. I think this article covers a lot of the origins of modern libertarianism - corporations.

http://www.alternet.org/visions/true-history-libertarianism-america-phony-ideology-promote-corporate-agenda

The fact that what passes for "logic" and "argument" amongst libertarians sounds like bad religious apologetics is not a coincidence, but almost certainly deliberate.

Its no surprise that the guy that is the CEO of that also owns a church in the area!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm sure the two-thirds of America in the service industry will give a poo poo. How many people even have a normal work week and holidays in our lovely new economy?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DrNutt posted:

I'm sure the two-thirds of America in the service industry will give a poo poo. How many people even have a normal work week and holidays in our lovely new economy?

Not I. i'm in the middle of a 10-day stretch, and work overtime almost every day.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

FRINGE posted:

Well...

(This was not recent, this was the 90s.)

Cool, more anti-science bullshit from FRINGE. Of course, you couldn't be bothered to note the specifics of those regulations or the fact that thing like banana peels from nuclear sites are also considered "low-level nuclear waste", could you?

Nope, gotta scare people about things you don't quite understand. By the way, are you still frightened about water fluoridation?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Solkanar512 posted:

By the way, are you still frightened about water fluoridation?

And are you still neglecting your humours?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

https://twitter.com/seattlepd/status/505959212610891776

Seattle PD Twitter Feed posted:

@SeattlePD: PIO enroute to officer involved shooting, barricaded suspect in the 300 block of W Prospect. More information to follow.
Queen Anne? Kind of a weird place for a shooting. Not that there's a good place for a shooting, but it's not the first neighborhood I'd guess.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of Seattle pigs, over 100 of them are suing the city to prevent the more public-friendly rules of force. They claim it makes them more likely to die and thus the city will descend into Mad Max. Welp, guess we gotta let them "beat the mexican piss" out of whoever they say is a threat. :rolleyes:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

effectual posted:

Speaking of Seattle pigs, over 100 of them are suing the city to prevent the more public-friendly rules of force. They claim it makes them more likely to die and thus the city will descend into Mad Max. Welp, guess we gotta let them "beat the mexican piss" out of whoever they say is a threat. :rolleyes:

I hope the new Chief just goes "Haha No"

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Somebody taped these notes on the front doors of every house on my street. It must be so frustrating to be a conservative in Portland.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

smg77 posted:

Somebody taped these notes on the front doors of every house on my street. It must be so frustrating to be a conservative in Portland.

Forward a copy of one to the local Democratic Party office. Wehby Republicans taking out their frustrations by leaving intimidating notes on the doors of progressive neighborhoods, and threatening to break windows, sounds like an amazing soundbite for driving donations. It taps right into Portland's problems with neo-nazis attacking liberal areas.

http://www.dpo.org/contact-us

Apparently the same folks have been making similar threats in other areas of progressive Portland. I forwarded this to a DPO buddy of mine: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/07/north_and_ne_portland_news_rou_10.html

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 7, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Most of us are probably familiar with that billboard south of Centralia.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Kaal posted:

Forward a copy of one to the local Democratic Party office. Wehby Republicans taking out their frustrations by leaving intimidating notes on the doors of progressive neighborhoods, and threatening to break windows, sounds like an amazing soundbite for driving donations. It taps right into Portland's problems with neo-nazis attacking liberal

Yeah get that on the local news. A conservative statement that amounts to "We are being disruptive and not considering the consequences. If this harms you, we don't care. Thanks Obama!" is too good to not get a little attention.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Reason posted:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

smg77 posted:

Apples? Roofs? Maybe I should just be glad that I can't understand?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

HondaCivet posted:

Apples? Roofs? Maybe I should just be glad that I can't understand?

Imagine four apples on the edge of a roof...

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

smg77 posted:

You don't have to be conservative to be frustrated by shittyness like this.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Reason posted:

whyleftismfailed.png

Also I'm totally related to the guy who used to do that billboard, hopefully he's dead now.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

SedanChair posted:

whyleftismfailed.png

wow trannies are really powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Also I'm totally related to the guy who used to do that billboard, hopefully he's dead now.

He is but from what I understand his son has picked up the shithead mantel.

• Locked thread