Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cochise
Sep 11, 2011

MothraAttack posted:

Your friend is misquoting an alternative news story that claims Snowden said that NSA leaks show that the US funded ISIS. This was originally a Press TV story, and Greenwald denied its veracity.

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2014/08/14/the-isis-leader-was-not-trained-by-the-cia-or-mossad-and-snowden-didnt-say-it/

He's then mixing it with the hoax you mentioned, which wasn't with Al Nusra, either. Namely, a photo of McCain with non-jihadist Syrian rebels has been circulating claiming that it shows him with ISIS leadership. The rebels were members of the Northern Storm brigade IIRC.

Don't forget that conspiratards are randomly circling a guy's face in the pictures claiming that it's al-Baghdadi prior to the proclamation of the caliphate. McCain was just there to give them support behind it all played out! :tinfoil:

Radio Prune posted:

From what I've seen, Wikileaks has been posting a lot of crazy conspiracy stuff on twitter lately and posting links to RT et al.
Figures. Wikileaks was a godsend to the anti-government/conspiratard types. They already loved RT after Alex Jones went all in with Russia being the bulwark against the illuminati/jews/brown moses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Like what? It is a leaks site after all, much of its content will be "conspiracy stuff" by definition. Looking at their homepage doesn't set off any alarm bells for me.

Cant really recall many off the top of my head, but I seem do seem to remember them pushing MH17 stuff. I don't follow wikileaks on Twitter so I only see stuff because people retweet it (in a "look at this bullshit" sense.) :shrug:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
David Icke is an interesting figure, since his whole schtick seems increasingly appropriate for our information environment.

whodunnit? who cares?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Radio Prune posted:

Cant really recall many off the top of my head, but I seem do seem to remember them pushing MH17 stuff. I don't follow wikileaks on Twitter so I only see stuff because people retweet it (in a "look at this bullshit" sense.) :shrug:

A quick Google search shows this.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/492033939142619136

quote:

A new angle on MH17: Rebels fired at Ukraine fighter jet which was using MH17 as decoy http://www.maxkeiser.com/2014/07/we...ians-would-die/ … and http://rt.com/news/174412-malaysia-plane-russia-ukraine/

Also learned that WikiLeaks is accepting Bitcoin donations, oh joy!

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

A quick Google search shows this.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/492033939142619136

Also learned that WikiLeaks is accepting Bitcoin donations, oh joy!

I googled Max Keiser to see who this guy was.

wiki posted:

He hosts Keiser Report, a financial program broadcast on Russian state media channel RT. Until November 2012, Keiser anchored On the Edge, a program of news and analysis hosted by Iran's Press TV.

[...]

Keiser has advised investors to buy gold and especially silver, in order to undermine "the banksters". In November 2012, he predicted that the UK pound was about to collapse.

[...]

In a 2013 interview with Bradford MP George Galloway[!], Keiser stated that if he had financial control over the City of London he would base the entire economy on the Bitcoin digital currency.

Sounds like what one would expect, to be honest.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Count Roland posted:

Like what? It is a leaks site after all, much of its content will be "conspiracy stuff" by definition.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of either what leaks are, or what conspiracy stuff is.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Saint Celestine posted:

If you were on the other end, could you see something like that coming in?

\/ Not over the sound of the Heli, I'd imagine...

It would look like a tiny dark dot jittering slightly, with maybe a heat distortion behind it, growing bigger as it approached. We've had a video were a tank crew did spot it and bailed at the last second but I imagine you'd have to be looking right at it / see the launch to have a chance to track it visually.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Also, if you aren't alert for something like that, it's probably really easy to overlook, especially in a desert environment.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Radio Prune posted:

I googled Max Keiser to see who this guy was.

Max Keiser is somewhere between hilarious and just sad. I came across him in '08 when the financial crisis hit. His whole shtick is basically getting really mad at everything and proclaiming imminent catastrophe (due to a lack of gold standard, natch) and it just so happened that in '08 there was a catastrophe, so all the gold bugs at Zero Hedge became huge Keiser fanboys.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you very much for the reading material!

SedanChair posted:

What's with this idea? Do you have an anti-conspiracy theorist field surrounding you which repels friendship? Is your company so rarefied?

I'm getting closer to believing that if you actually sat down with most people, a majority of them would profess some belief that would qualify as a conspiracy theory.

Yes, i do. When you start talking about politics and everything, everytime everywhere is made by and controlled by the U.S. i find you a stupid fucker. If you base your world view on unprovable, ridiculous conspiracy theories while refusing to read anything because it's all "bourgie news" except RT then i don't want to be your friend.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Police shot at al-Houthi protestors in Sana'a today, killing a few. Things are spiraling out of control and if war breaks out it could be very, very bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_4jeoKPp6I

(video is a little gory)

Svartvit fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 9, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

botany posted:

Max Keiser is somewhere between hilarious and just sad. I came across him in '08 when the financial crisis hit. His whole shtick is basically getting really mad at everything and proclaiming imminent catastrophe (due to a lack of gold standard, natch) and it just so happened that in '08 there was a catastrophe, so all the gold bugs at Zero Hedge became huge Keiser fanboys.

I agree the man is extremely obnoxious, but predicting a catastrophe (the 08 financial crisis) and profiting from it (by buying gold) isn't the best way to make fun of/discredit the guy. I'm sure he's said way more stupid stuff that hasn't come true.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Anybody who wasn't invested in being a pundit predicted the crisis. This reduces the number of things that give Keiser's life value to zero.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Anybody who wasn't invested in being a pundit predicted the crisis. This reduces the number of things that give Keiser's life value to zero.

I find it funny how in retrospect apparently everyone predicted the crisis. And yet people kept buying houses at insane prices, and ridiculed anyone who bought gold as some sort of apocalyptic cult member.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Count Roland posted:

I find it funny how in retrospect apparently everyone predicted the crisis. And yet people kept buying houses at insane prices, and ridiculed anyone who bought gold as some sort of apocalyptic cult member.

Plenty of people saw the crisis, but "seeing the crisis" doesn't tell you the when it's going to pop, and without that info the ability of consumers or even individual institutions to do anything about it is basically zilch. What are you going to do about it, be homeless? Short mortgage-backed securities and hold out against the inevitable short squeeze until the bubble finally pops?

The funny thing is that gold is just as much of a bubble nowadays as the housing market was then. There's nowhere near $1200/oz of actual real-world value in gold, its value is a psychological phenomenon. It's the Ur-Bitcoin. However much like housing, there's not really anything you can do about the problem - it's entirely possible that it continues to rise in price before the bubble pops, potentially for years, so you'll almost certainly get short-squeezed to death going against it.

Deflating bubbles is something that needs government-level action, basically. And they are usually unwilling to do that for a lot of reasons.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 9, 2014

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009

quote:

Kirkuk (IraqiNews.com) A security source in Kirkuk province on Thursday stated that “The ISIS group have kidnapped 50 civilians who belong to one of the villages in the province, shortly after the people of the village burned the ISIS flag to declare their opposition of the ISIS existence in south of Kirkuk.

The source said that a group of militants driving armored cars this afternoon blockaded al-Tal village, 55 km in the west from Kirkuk, then kidnapped 50 men from the village.

A resident in the province expressed there is a furious anger upon the ISIS for kidnapping the Iraqi civilians, noting that the armed clans in the province to seek clash plan with the ISIS militants if their kidnapped relatives are set not free.

It is worth pointing, that the province of Kirkuk witnesses constant clashes with the ISIS militants especially in the south wherein the ISIS has intense presence.
http://www.iraqinews.com/iraq-war/isis-kidnapps-50-civilians-near-kirkuk-burn-isis-flag/

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Count Roland posted:

I agree the man is extremely obnoxious, but predicting a catastrophe (the 08 financial crisis) and profiting from it (by buying gold) isn't the best way to make fun of/discredit the guy. I'm sure he's said way more stupid stuff that hasn't come true.
Keisler didn't predict that specific crisis though. At least to the best of my knowledge he never had anything specific to say on the linkage via CDS that led from the collapse of Bear Stearns to the international recession, he just rambled on about easy money and fiat currencies and how gold is the bestest. And yes, he has said (and still is saying) way more stupid stuff. I think the latest is the imminent collapse of France. Before that he said that the UK was about to default. He says this kind of poo poo about every country in the hopes that when inevitably one of them has a severe financial crisis, he'll look like a genius.

SedanChair posted:

This is nonsense. Very few people predicted the crisis, partly because some of the central mechanisms that led to the collapse weren't known until afterward, such as the faulty pricing models used to evaluate CDOs. A lot of people rightly complained about (a) the enormous consumer leveraging in the US and (b) the housing bubble in the US, but calling those two things correctly is not the same thing as calling the financial crisis. There was a lot more going on, much of which was only understood afterwards. To really predict the crisis in 2006, i.e. before it began to unravel, you had to be at a level where you understood the new financial instruments better than the people who were, at the time, pioneering the work with them. There's not a whole lot of people who can claim to havefully understood the interplay between CDS and synthetic CDOs that early.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Looks like someone just wiped out Ahrar Al Sham's leadership. Reports coming out that 45 commanders, including their leader, were killed in a suicide bombing attack on their Idlib headquarters. If confirmed, this may seriously undermine the organization and leave its members, who are Salafis, looking for other groups to join.

Edit: for context, Hassan Abboud is the group's leader believed to have been killed. He was the former leader of the SILF as well as a top political officer of the Islamic Front, and probably the only Salafi commander who garnered respect from FSA/SRF types and civil activists. Although they are an extreme group, this is a blow to moderate rebels.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 9, 2014

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Saudi I'd Like to gently caress.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Pelosi, Boehner, Reid, and McConnell are meeting with Obama on ISIS right now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Pelosi, Boehner, Reid, and McConnell are meeting with Obama on ISIS right now.

Reminder the majority of Americans do not believe any of Obama's work on fighting the terrorist group ISIS is sincere, and Obama is actually playing more golf than Bush ever did.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Has anyone noticed the media again cheerleading for bombs? I've seen several prominent stories claiming that somehow ISIS is planning attacks on US soil citing dubious 'anonymous sources', despite ISIS having said little about attacking us domestically or even having the capability to do so. Just a lot of fearmongering going on that has quickly convinced most people that we need to drop the bombs already.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

botany posted:

This is nonsense. Very few people predicted the crisis, partly because some of the central mechanisms that led to the collapse weren't known until afterward, such as the faulty pricing models used to evaluate CDOs. A lot of people rightly complained about (a) the enormous consumer leveraging in the US and (b) the housing bubble in the US, but calling those two things correctly is not the same thing as calling the financial crisis. There was a lot more going on, much of which was only understood afterwards. To really predict the crisis in 2006, i.e. before it began to unravel, you had to be at a level where you understood the new financial instruments better than the people who were, at the time, pioneering the work with them. There's not a whole lot of people who can claim to havefully understood the interplay between CDS and synthetic CDOs that early.

Did Keiser? No? All right then.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

Has anyone noticed the media again cheerleading for bombs? I've seen several prominent stories claiming that somehow ISIS is planning attacks on US soil citing dubious 'anonymous sources', despite ISIS having said little about attacking us domestically or even having the capability to do so. Just a lot of fearmongering going on that has quickly convinced most people that we need to drop the bombs already.

Yeah, turns out ISIS' PR campaign isn't getting much support among Americans.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I assume it is because of the anniversary around the corner?

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 9, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

You just had Sen. Bill Nelson from my terrible state claiming that they 'won't rest until ISIS' flag is over the White House' like that's even remotely possible.

Greenwald also correctly points out that in the end airstrikes may just further inflame that region and make it easier for a group like ISIS to gain support.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I found this article on my facebook feed today. it's a interview with a Yazidi girl who survived ISIS sex slave prisons.

:nms: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/11080165/Yazidi-girl-tells-of-horrific-ordeal-as-Isil-sex-slave.html :nms:

Is it wrong to want to see ISIS killed to the last supporter.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I'm old enough to remember 32 days ago when everyone in this thread were wanting Obama to bomb ISIS to give the Kurds breathing room.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Political Blog of Charles Pierce at Esquire magazine led me to this article in the New Yorker: The Twenty-Eight Pages.

I'm not going to post any excerpts but the bottom line is that the more I read about ISIS, the more I'm convinced that the only reason ISIS exists is because of, and with the full blessing and support of, Saudi Arabia and its little absolute monarchy. The unholy alliance between the House of Saud and the Wahhabi clerics should probably be the focus of any further U.S. bombing in the middle east. Otherwise, anything less is just lipstick on a pig.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Berke Negri posted:

I'm old enough to remember 32 days ago when everyone in this thread were wanting Obama to bomb ISIS to give the Kurds breathing room.

I wouldn't challenge FlamingLiberal on his consistency. I'm sure he's been opposed to anything bombs for years now, regardless of context.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Greenwald also correctly points out that in the end airstrikes may just further inflame that region and make it easier for a group like ISIS to gain support.

Sure, they may. There's an argument to have there. You know what did further inflame the region and create a vacuum that allowed ISIS to grow from nothing into a force occupying an area the size of Great Britain? Aside from Brown Moses? Watching the war in Syria stagnate and doing nothing about it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Although it's on MH17, I thought you might want to see this. Russia Today attack Bellingcat and citizen journalism in general today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDvCzzrYLM0&t=339s

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

So I take it Greenwald's current gimmick is that ISIS is just an overblown media false flag because Obama loooooooooves death and all they've done is behead some journalists?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He's saying that's not a reason to launch an endless bombing campaign without debate.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's saying that's not a reason to launch an endless bombing campaign without debate.

But James Foley was executed almost twelve days after we announced an air strike campaign?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think that debate would last about 15 seconds.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

That might have to do with the American public being increasingly pro attacking ISIL.

quote:

Americans overwhelmingly view Islamic State terrorists as a serious threat to vital U.S. interests and, in a significant shift, widely support airstrikes in Iraq and Syria, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

The nation’s increasingly hawkish mood will form part of the backdrop for a speech by President Obama on Wednesday, when he will outline his thinking on how to confront the threat from the Islamic State. Obama’s remarks will come a day after he confers with congressional leaders at the White House about the administration’s planning.

Obama’s speech also comes at a critical moment in his presidency. He will address the nation at a time of record or ­near-record lows in public assessments of his performance. Only 43 percent of Americans say he is a strong leader, the lowest reading since he entered the White House. Just over half the country says his presidency has been a failure, although partisanship colors that judgment.

His overall foreign policy ratings are his lowest yet in a Post-ABC News poll. A majority says the president is too cautious when it comes to international problems and specifically in dealing with Islamic State militants. His handling of Russian aggression in Ukraine receives somewhat better marks, but more than 4 in 10 still say he is too cautious.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...4ffd_story.html

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

So I take it Greenwald's current gimmick is that ISIS is just an overblown media false flag because Obama loooooooooves death and all they've done is behead some journalists?

Greenwald's gimmick is, as always, being contrarian.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

radical meme posted:

The Political Blog of Charles Pierce at Esquire magazine led me to this article in the New Yorker: The Twenty-Eight Pages.

I'm not going to post any excerpts but the bottom line is that the more I read about ISIS, the more I'm convinced that the only reason ISIS exists is because of, and with the full blessing and support of, Saudi Arabia and its little absolute monarchy. The unholy alliance between the House of Saud and the Wahhabi clerics should probably be the focus of any further U.S. bombing in the middle east. Otherwise, anything less is just lipstick on a pig.

Take it up with the neocons who decided the Saudis were One Of The Good Ones because they agreed to keep selling us oil.

To be honest the more I learn about this, the more sense it makes that the US's entire middle east policy for decades has just been to create stable countries to provide a steady supply of oil. Terrorists are just a fly in that ointment. Dictatorships and human rights abuses are actually a plus. I guess they figured the Saudis' oil made up for the fact they were taking the money and handing it right over to Al-Qaeda and ISIS. Well, that and the fact they're The archenemy of Iran, which did the unthinkable and told the IS to get hosed and threatened to stop the oil.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 9, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Endless bombing campaigns are pointless - there are more economical bombing options that can completely depopulate ISIL controlled regions.

Maybe that will be Obama's speech Wednesday night. 'I've just signed legislation that will outlaw ISIL forever :unsmigghh:'

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Surprised there isn't too much chatter here about the entire leadership of Ansar Al Sham getting blown the gently caress up by car bome in Idlib. Seems like a big deal.

• Locked thread