Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011
##Vote Julians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

##Vote Junonians (Liberal)

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

##Vote Julians (Liberal)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
In case anybody is wondering, the little (Liberal) and (Conservative) tags refer to how those parties would be categorized in V2. So, for example, if this party set-up lasts until 1836 without the parties splitting again, getting sent to the hiratine, collapsing, etc., the Junonians and Julians would be liberal parties with different policies, and the Capitolino would be a conservative party. There'd also be a small party of reactionary monarchists which I haven't named yet, since Unitas had to go and embrace Republicanism and foil my plans. :v:

EDIT: More on Victoria parties and their policies.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 9, 2014

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Rincewind posted:

In case anybody is wondering, the little (Liberal) and (Conservative) tags refer to how those parties would be categorized in V2. So, for example, if this party set-up lasts until 1836 without the parties splitting again, getting sent to the hiratine, collapsing, etc., the Junonians and Julians would be liberal parties with different policies, and the Capitolino would be a conservative party. There'd also be a small party of reactionary monarchists which I haven't named yet, since Unitas had to go and embrace Republicanism and foil my plans. :v:

Make the Guiding Light a party of reactionary monarchists who want the Sunni branch of the Komnenos to come back.

We need a new crazy dumb party line now that we actually managed to convert the empire/republic.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Could you spell out the difference in Vicky terms? Like i'm guessing Junoians are Secular/Residency and the Julians are Plural/Limited based on what we've seen (with probably full agreement on other issues, though maybe one's LF and and one's interven), but i could be totally off base here.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Sure, we've embraced public Republicanism to avoid the Hiratine, but I can assure you that the sane members of the Cyrahzax family yearn for the resurrection of the Roman throne, under a proper dynasty. The minute it's safe, we'll probably be public monarchists again, as long as sniper agrees.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We're not becoming a monarchy again unless Rincewind is bad enough at V2 to a) let Jacobins spawn, and b) let them take the capital.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Funky Valentine posted:

We're not becoming a monarchy again unless Rincewind is bad enough at V2 to a) let Jacobins spawn, and b) let them take the capital.

Rince, how would you rate your V2 ability compared to your EU4 ability?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Make the Guiding Light a party of reactionary monarchists who want the Sunni branch of the Komnenos to come back.

We need a new crazy dumb party line now that we actually managed to convert the empire/republic.

I love the notion of a party convention where everyone shiftlessly, nervously observes that their insane, impossible goal has accidentally been accomplished by parties unknown, and speculates on how to go madder still to compensate. Speeches are given about annexing the moon and filling in the Black Sea for easier navy-free transit, before everyone ultimately settles on demanding actual time travel back to the days of the Komnenoi so that their current Rhodian descendent can convert them.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I'd say we could go for a Theocratic state, but France has been a Theocracy ever since the Valois-Vexins took up the autocephalous Patriarchy of Gallia.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

YF-23 posted:

Only if you like having chunks of your army killed because rebels popped on top of them.

That's just a risk one has to take. Not like two thousand guys are hard to replace.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Readingaccount posted:

That's just a risk one has to take. Not like two thousand guys are hard to replace.

...no, it's not a risk you have to take, because you can simply elect to leave a sieging force large enough to hande rebel stacks that might pop up.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Tulip posted:

Could you spell out the difference in Vicky terms? Like i'm guessing Junoians are Secular/Residency and the Julians are Plural/Limited based on what we've seen (with probably full agreement on other issues, though maybe one's LF and and one's interven), but i could be totally off base here.

That's not quite set in stone yet-- and the parties might ideologically drift between now and V2, anyway. I'm paying attention to the kinds of things people from each party are posting.

Plus, some policies are just plain Better than others in gameplay terms and I don't want that to affect this vote.

AJ_Impy posted:

Rince, how would you rate your V2 ability compared to your EU4 ability?

I've played much less V2 than I have EU4, but the V2 games I have played have been with starts much more comparable to the one we'll have than our EU4 start was to the EU4 games I've played. Before this LP, every single EU4 game I've played has been a western European colonizer/trade state-- a bit of Castile, a bit of Scotland, a whole lot of England (plus a CK2-export Britannia game), so being a land power out in the east put me very much out of my element.

On the other hand, the couple of V2 games I've played have been AzeriMod Germany (which is, like us, mostly a land power) and the Ottoman Empire (which is... the Ottoman Empire), so the experience I do have is a lot more applicable to the Byzantine Republic's situation.

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm still pretty bad at V2. :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Can we guess the Great Powers?

1) glorious Ming
2) Ayiti
3) France
4) Haida

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
The truth of the Unitas Party will be revealed all in good time...

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I am a fan of Malta Ascendant because currently there is a mod in the works for Civ V for a serious big-effort Malta civ which is probably among the smallest places you could turn into something that'd make sense as a potentially global empire and not a joke like Liechtenstein or Sealand.

...of course, I've been a proponent of a Monaco as well which would beat that out.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

AJ_Impy posted:

##Vote Discordians

Roll on the counterrevolution and restoration.

if this is an option i change my vote to this

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

##Vote Junonians (Liberal): 23
GunnerJ
Freudian
ThatBasqueGuy
Espilae
Blackunknown
Talky
skipThings
Lynneth
WilliamAnderson
Rejected Fate
Caustic Soda
Zikan
RZApublican
tatankatonk
Sindai
Adept Nightingale
Ogianres
GSD
Hitlers Gay Secret
Tulip
TheMcD
GoatLord
BwenGun

##Vote Julians (Liberal): 17
Jeoh
Akratic Method
Erwin the German
Luhood
Archaeology Hat
Ghostwoods
NewMars
Hutter
Patter Song
StrifeHira
Wentley
Semquais
Dallan Invictus
mcclay
Cestrian
Clayren
Pyroi

##Vote the Capitolino (Conservative): 10
Muskatnuss
WeaponGradeSadness
YF-23
Lord Cyrahzax
HiHo ChiRho
sniper4625
Tevery Best
Readingaccount
Dibujante
Not So Fast

Discorcdians/Reactionaries/Boycotting the Assemly/etc.
AJ_Impy
Chwoka

:siren: Vote closed! Junonian minority government (everyone hates one another too much for a formal coalition)

Amuse yourselves between now and the next update by thinking up some flags for Hindustan, the Buddhist state in eastern India formed by Orissa. I think the name Hindustan still works for it, anyway? I'm pretty sure that just means "India".

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

It refers to the [h]Indus river, which is in West India, so it's questionable. You could always just swap the names if you wanted.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
Maybe call it Gangestan?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Akratic Method posted:

It refers to the [h]Indus river, which is in West India, so it's questionable. You could always just swap the names if you wanted.

Paradox!! :argh:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Akratic Method posted:

Having the Marathas be Hindustan and Hindustan revert to Orissa would make sense, yes.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Patter Song posted:

Having the Marathas be Hindustan and Hindustan revert to Orissa would make sense, yes.

Orissa has a really good flag, too, so maybe i'll just go with that, as inelegant as it seems.

EDIT: Or maybe even just leave Marathas as Marathas and make Hindustan the "Orissa Empire" or something? Having Hindustan leap across the map between games would be a bit strange.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Rincewind posted:

Orissa has a really good flag, too, so maybe i'll just go with that, as inelegant as it seems.

EDIT: Or maybe even just leave Marathas as Marathas and make Hindustan the "Orissa Empire" or something? Having Hindustan leap across the map between games would be a bit strange.

And how many Romes and Bulgarias have there been so far, and where? We had Bulgaria in Liguria, four separate Romes (in Orbetello, Germany, the Balkans, and the Levant/Arabia), and Ming in Spain. Nations translocated far from anywhere sensible or related to their name is pretty much a theme of the LP. (I know we abolished the theme system, point still stands.)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rincewind posted:

Amuse yourselves between now and the next update by thinking up some flags for Hindustan, the Buddhist state in eastern India formed by Orissa. I think the name Hindustan still works for it, anyway? I'm pretty sure that just means "India".

'kay

Classic tricolor, no wheel because Gandhi doesn't exist yet

A rough Vajra, symbolizes the unbreakable qualities of diamonds and thunder

Glorious "I" of great size and scope that shall lead the workers to freedom!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

AJ_Impy posted:

And how many Romes and Bulgarias have there been so far, and where? We had Bulgaria in Liguria, four separate Romes (in Orbetello, Germany, the Balkans, and the Levant/Arabia), and Ming in Spain. Nations translocated far from anywhere sensible or related to their name is pretty much a theme of the LP. (I know we abolished the theme system, point still stands.)

It is us. We are the Serbia LP.

EDIT: By which I mean that the Serbia LP, rather than happening as designed by us, just sort of happened to us instead.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rincewind posted:

That's not quite set in stone yet-- and the parties might ideologically drift between now and V2, anyway. I'm paying attention to the kinds of things people from each party are posting.

Plus, some policies are just plain Better than others in gameplay terms and I don't want that to affect this vote.

Fair enough, i only picked up V2 this week so i really don't know what's 'better' than others. It's a little unclear to me if Junonians being more 'liberal' means like US Whigs or Max Robespierre (which would be weird) or 'liberal' as in Tony Abbott.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Let me see if I got this straight:

We have the symbol of Hecate in our flag and it is Pan-Arabic colours. Now, what is the most infamous lost city in the Arabic world?

Babylon. That is right, and which of the Goddesses of that dread city are analogous to Hecate?

Ishtar, of War and Fertility. It is no surprise then that this republic brings peace by murdering its own citizens by the hundreds of thousands, secure in the knowledge that its patron deity will give them the fertility they need to spawn vast armies from the womb of Rome's orphaned mothers. Well, what is another name for this Goddess?

Astarte, of course! We are ruled by a cabal of her adepts. Now, does this not evoke a certain title, one well known to initiates in the mysteries?

Adeptus Astartes, it is them who have been behind all this. Of course they were, for Rome is the most glorious and ancient of all Empires, and it is these, the time-travelling conspirators from an envious claimant that have brought this ruin to us.

I leave you to the facts, ladies and gentlemen.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Let me see if I got this straight:

We have the symbol of Hecate in our flag and it is Pan-Arabic colours. Now, what is the most infamous lost city in the Arabic world?

Babylon. That is right, and which of the Goddesses of that dread city are analogous to Hecate?

Ishtar, of War and Fertility. It is no surprise then that this republic brings peace by murdering its own citizens by the hundreds of thousands, secure in the knowledge that its patron deity will give them the fertility they need to spawn vast armies from the womb of Rome's orphaned mothers. Well, what is another name for this Goddess?

Astarte, of course! We are ruled by a cabal of her adepts. Now, does this not evoke a certain title, one well known to initiates in the mysteries?

Adeptus Astartes, it is them who have been behind all this. Of course they were, for Rome is the most glorious and ancient of all Empires, and it is these, the time-travelling conspirators from an envious claimant that have brought this ruin to us.

I leave you to the facts, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm going to be boring and just say that this is incredibly silly.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Maybe something like this?

A Dharma wheel suspended over the horns of a Sambar deer (official animal of the Indian state of Odisha) on either side a different color to represent the Indo-Aryan and Dravidian ethnic groups within Hindustan and "Empire of Hindustan" in Oriya (probably, maybe, I don't read or speak it and used a free online translator).

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Long live the Republic!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

Long live the Republic!

They already won, sweetie.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Clayren posted:

Maybe something like this?

A Dharma wheel suspended over the horns of a Sambar deer (official animal of the Indian state of Odisha) on either side a different color to represent the Indo-Aryan and Dravidian ethnic groups within Hindustan and "Empire of Hindustan" in Oriya (probably, maybe, I don't read or speak it and used a free online translator).

Nice design, but how will it look at 93x64, or whatever V2 uses for it's flag size?

Stephen9001 posted:

As opposed to great chunks of this thread?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Stephen9001 posted:

Keep telling yourself that, sheeple.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

At last I truly see. It was the spess muhreens all along.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011
Just been rereading. The best bit is still the Golden Horde, after 100 years of attempted conversians by the orthodox byzantines, deciding to embrace manichaeism instead.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Cestrian posted:

Just been rereading. The best bit is still the Golden Horde, after 100 years of attempted conversians by the orthodox byzantines, deciding to embrace manichaeism instead.

No, the best bit is that it somehow survived to the modern era.

Also, part of Siberia is still uncolonized.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

sniper4625 posted:

Nice design, but how will it look at 93x64, or whatever V2 uses for it's flag size?

You've a point there, here's an exact sized one

Edit: Not a fan of tricolor? How about bicolor?

Or a different form of tricolor?

Clayren fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Rincewind posted:

You could separate them into Hindustan (west) and Bharat (east). Bharat(a) is the old Sanskrit name for India and also coincidentally used as part of the official name of modern India so. Those names make the most sense to me, though you're right, having them switch names is a bit silly I suppose.

• Locked thread