Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Nah, forget the Electra. What's this?

Looks like a T-28 Trojan

e: Planes of Fame claim to have two T-28s, a -B and a -C, but both are supposed to be at Valle, AZ at the moment, are those fairly old photos?

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

SybilVimes posted:

Looks like a T-28 Trojan

e: Planes of Fame claim to have two T-28s, a -B and a -C, but both are supposed to be at Valle, AZ at the moment, are those fairly old photos?

It's definitely a T-28.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

SybilVimes posted:

Looks like a T-28 Trojan

Photo was taken in May; the background isn't Planes of Fame property, I don't think, so I'm guessing it's someone else's.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Seal materials that aren't from the Victorian era help. Modern plastics came about soon after WW2. (and in a large part due to the war effort)

Sadly, the engines, haven't seen a major update since about WW2. "New" engines have the full advantage of new, and modern seal technology.

Are you suggesting that the pistons were lubricated with grease?

No, not the pistons, the bearings. They apparently didn't lose enough oil to be worried about it by comparison.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As promised, some photos from the weekend. Let me know if you want more of something - I have a whole bunch, just no in-flight closeups.

This was the Croatian team's display that I caught as I was arriving, seen taxiing below as some helicopters (including a Cobra) take off.

The Hind came out for a solo display but it's a fat slow gently caress compared compared to the cobra

The Belgians brought some non-fat F-16s but sadly didn't fly them that day.

Still, their team was the best part of the whole thing, as they had a gift-shop stand and the pilots actually hung out around it and I managed to chat with one of the guys for a few minutes. It was like being in Top Gun suddenly, just less gay.

The infamous Gripen was there too

The Latvian Baltic Bees team was next, using L-39 Albatrosses in a pretty cool display. Their announcer is amazing and sounds absolutely hilarious in English
http://balticbees.com/

The L-29 Dolphin, Albatross' predecessor, taxiing. Didn't see it fly.

L-159 Alca, Albatross' variant/ancestor. It did fly but by itself and without smoke the pics came out boring.

They actually brought out gliders

that did some stuff I wouldn't want to do without an engine.

End of part 1.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well they called off the search for that TBM 900 that went down off Jamaica last week. Guess we'll probably not get much more information about the accident sequence than what we already know.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 9, 2014

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Space Gopher posted:

Not just "could," but "have." The Strela has a couple of AC-130 kills on record in Vietnam and Iraq. Missile launch warning systems and IRCM have gotten better since then, but so have MANPADS. The aircraft itself is an easy target, kinematically speaking.

In short: gunships like the AC-130 are only useful if you're sure that the people on the ground can't shoot back.

And there you have it. I didn't feel like digging for stats at the time, so just assumed.

Really, once you get past the HOLY poo poo FLYING HOWITZER thing (which I will admit still makes me happy), it's really a pretty ridiculous aircraft.

mobby_6kl posted:

The Belgians brought some non-fat F-16s but sadly didn't fly them that day.

The infamous Gripen was there too

Goddamn do I love light fighter designs. If you have any more pics of the F-16 or the Gripen, post them all.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

mobby_6kl posted:

As promised, some photos from the weekend. Let me know if you want more of something - I have a whole bunch, just no in-flight closeups.

What are those the wingtips of? I'm blanking on "square wingtips" + "four ailerons"

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Madurai posted:

No, not the pistons, the bearings. They apparently didn't lose enough oil to be worried about it by comparison.

What bearings in the plane are greased that are active in flight? I am just smelling some fond stories versus reality. :-)

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Yeah, it's oil and not grease. It's easy to morph one to the other in storytelling if you're not too familiar with the subject matter.

But there are antique engines flying around (I've got some time behind 2 of them) with greased valve rocker bearings. You go around the engine with a grease gun on all the zerk fittings every flight, and every couple of flights you take the rocker covers off and hand-pack the entire rocker box.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Well they called off the search for that TBM 900 that went down off Jamaica last week. Guess we'll probably not get much more information about the accident sequence than what we already know.

:byodood: BUT PLANES DON'T JUST DISAPPEAR

I honestly figured they'd be able to find it since they were able to track it for a good portion of the flight.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

fknlo posted:

:byodood: BUT PLANES DON'T JUST DISAPPEAR

I honestly figured they'd be able to find it since they were able to track it for a good portion of the flight.

You can't track planes over the Bermuda Triangle.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
I love the Gripen. It's like a small, cute fighter. It just looks tiny with people walking around it compared to the typhoon or rafale.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Naturally Selected posted:

And there you have it. I didn't feel like digging for stats at the time, so just assumed.

Really, once you get past the HOLY poo poo FLYING HOWITZER thing (which I will admit still makes me happy), it's really a pretty ridiculous aircraft.

Goddamn do I love light fighter designs. If you have any more pics of the F-16 or the Gripen, post them all.

To be fair, it's FLYING HOWITZER and BIGASS GATLING GUN :getin:

As nice as all the piston aircraft there were, the Viper just looks so loving cool. I did get these two shots of them:

And of the Gripen in the air. It was mostly too far and too fast (and too loud) to get a good shot with a 50mm lens, but in any case:

Ardeem posted:

What are those the wingtips of? I'm blanking on "square wingtips" + "four ailerons"

That's... whatever the hell this thing is:

I'd be curious if anyone can ID it.

Here are some more:

A Mi-something under wraps and a Yak-40 trijet.

That seems to be just the right size for a miata!

There was a simulated SAR mission, with the lower helicopter doing the extraction (of a dummy they themselves threw out :)) and the other one circling and providing covering fire. They winched everyone down and up, though it seemed that just landing would be much faster.

Don't recall the model, but it was a very important post-war plane here.

A few more shots of the Baltic Bees planes, I like the design.

Mig-15 (at least I think it's not -17) that apparently made it to the US, then was bought and brought back, and is now being restored. It rolled around but wasn't allowed to take off.

An-2s were slow as hell, but looked pretty cool doing it

These might've been flying in the morning as I didn't see them before their final takeoff.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 10, 2014

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

mobby_6kl posted:

A few more shots of the Baltic Bees planes, I like the design.

Oh man those paint jobs are adorable. :allears:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

That's... whatever the hell this thing is:

I'd be curious if anyone can ID it.

It's a sopwith camel, or more likely a replica, in ww1 livery (captain Roy brown's to be exact)

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 10, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't recall the model, but it was a very important post-war plane here.

Looks like an Aero Ae-45 or -145.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

vessbot posted:

Yeah, it's oil and not grease. It's easy to morph one to the other in storytelling if you're not too familiar with the subject matter.

But there are antique engines flying around (I've got some time behind 2 of them) with greased valve rocker bearings. You go around the engine with a grease gun on all the zerk fittings every flight, and every couple of flights you take the rocker covers off and hand-pack the entire rocker box.

Well, he was the guy who had to go out there with a bucket and greasegun, I assumed he knew what from what. And the Skyraider is an aircraft with a built-in bottle of degreaser for the windshield...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SybilVimes posted:

It's a sopwith camel, or more likely a replica, in ww1 livery (captain Roy brown's to be exact)

What about the helicopter disaster in the background?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mobby_6kl posted:

To be fair, it's FLYING HOWITZER and BIGASS GATLING GUN :getin:

As nice as all the piston aircraft there were, the Viper just looks so loving cool. I did get these two shots of them:

Thanks! There's really very little more elegant that the lines of the Viper, especially if you ignore the goddamn intake.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Guess what flew over me last weekend?

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/news/FactSheets/FS-046-DFRC.html#.VA_Ao0s3wlx

:love:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I had no idea those existed.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

mobby_6kl posted:

This was the Croatian team's display that I caught as I was arriving, seen taxiing below as some helicopters (including a Cobra) take off.

I'm gonna need more of the Croatian team if you have them.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

mobby_6kl posted:

An-2s were slow as hell, but looked pretty cool doing it

Just like this one...

P1010217 by vexborg, on Flickr

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I've got a couple from CIAV 2009 if you want.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

mobby_6kl posted:

Mig-15 (at least I think it's not -17) that apparently made it to the US, then was bought and brought back, and is now being restored. It rolled around but wasn't allowed to take off.

The differences between the MiG-15 and -17 are subtle, but you are correct, that is a MiG-15 UTI. The MiG-17 has three wing fences instead of the MiG-15's two, plus the -17 has a ventral fin as well. The -17 is a bit longer, has a bit more wing sweep and has a less tapered fuselage, but unless you park them side by side, you'll never notice.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, what DO chemtrails smell like?

:tinfoil:

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

MrChips posted:

The differences between the MiG-15 and -17 are subtle, but you are correct, that is a MiG-15 UTI. The MiG-17 has three wing fences instead of the MiG-15's two, plus the -17 has a ventral fin as well. The -17 is a bit longer, has a bit more wing sweep and has a less tapered fuselage, but unless you park them side by side, you'll never notice.

Since this is the right thread to sperg in:

The -17 is 3 feet longer, slightly bigger tail. Wings were a little bigger and swept at 45 degrees as opposed to 35 degrees on the -15 (iirc). So yeah, what MrChips said. The later 17s are a little easier to pick out since they changed the rear end a bit for the afterburner (again iirc).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

So, what DO chemtrails smell like?

:tinfoil:

Freedom.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Nato Days comming up next weekend. I'm bringing my camera so I hope I'll be able to get some decent shots.

Here's a list of the stuff on display http://www.natodays.cz/on-display

S infront of the name means static display
D is flight demo
P is fly-by

Anything in particular you guys interested in to focus on? :)

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Kerrow posted:

The Hilux :)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Kerrow posted:

Nato Days comming up next weekend. I'm bringing my camera so I hope I'll be able to get some decent shots.

D is flight demo
P is fly-by

I realize that this is the wrong thread, but I think bridge trucks are pretty awesome.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Duke Chin posted:

also: hah, when the hell did the USFS start using a Cobra? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms4RlV6RiXs

Given the rate at which the DoD is fire-selling surplus equipment to state and local governments/law enforcement I'm kind of surprised its not a defanged Apache.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Tremblay posted:

Since this is the right thread to sperg in:

The -17 is 3 feet longer, slightly bigger tail. Wings were a little bigger and swept at 45 degrees as opposed to 35 degrees on the -15 (iirc). So yeah, what MrChips said. The later 17s are a little easier to pick out since they changed the rear end a bit for the afterburner (again iirc).

Also, to further elaborate, there is no 2 seat version of the -17.

Geoj posted:

Given the rate at which the DoD is fire-selling surplus equipment to state and local governments/law enforcement I'm kind of surprised its not a defanged Apache.

Just leave the TADS in place :v:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Godholio posted:

I had no idea those existed.

I forgot that NASA had them. We were driving north on i-45 and I lost my mind when I saw it. I spent about 20 minutes telling my wife how SUPER FREAKIN' AWESOME THAT WAS and she just stared at me.

It's a miracle that I found a woman to put up with me.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

And because this is AI:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

When I worked in Palmdale that thing flew around all the time. They are almost silent flat and level but when they are on the climb out over your head they are super loving loud, it's pretty weird.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Flying an ER-2 is pretty much my dream job, right behind being an actual astronaut.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for confirming the Mig-15. I checked wikipedia but spot the difference between the photos. The -17 not having a two-seat version is a clear giveaway though :)

One hilarious thing was that they brought out a priest to bless it and that was... just super awkward. The people are generally not religious and even those that are must've found this extremely weird. You'd see Russian priests doing that all the time but here it was just bizarre.

StandardVC10 posted:

Looks like an Aero Ae-45 or -145.

Yep, its the Ae-145, thanks!

Madurai posted:

What about the helicopter disaster in the background?

There's a Cobra, a Bell-206, and two Robinson R-44s. They were flown by a company offering training and helicopter transport services.

Just remembered that they're called Wings of Storm (Krila Oluje).

I think I might've had exposure compensation set here :(

They have some official photos up, including close-ups of Wings of Storm:
http://airshow.cz/clanek-260-CZ-CIAF-2014-Fotogalerie

Kerrow posted:

D is flight demo
P is fly-by

Poland will have a Toyota Hilux as an exhibit :lol:

Are you going there for both days? I'd join you but as I mentioned I'm already supposed to be at a wedding, though I might be able to slip out for the second day...

Also our American friends need to step up and send some F-15s ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Geoj posted:

At Selfridge last weekend I saw a Blackhawk in black and gold livery that looked for all the world like a Macomb Co. Sheriff bird. I was, shall we say, pissed and couldn't figure out why MCS needed a goddamned Blackhawk until I got up on it and saw it was a Border Patrol bird, obviously for keeping the Canadians at bay.