Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I don't think the labeled cities are supposed to be capitals, unless this plan also includes multiple capitals per state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3peat
May 6, 2010

Radio Prune posted:

Anyone got any good alt-hist or irredentism maps? :)

Welcome to the future united kingdom of Hunrombulg, a superpower that could rival even Poland!

And, to finally put to rest arguments over which countries are part of Eastern Europe, Central Europe, etc I've whipped out ms paint and made a map :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Excuse me, I think you forgot to paint Crimea dark green there :colbert:

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Lithuania is Eastern Europe :colbert:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
And Turkey's not in Europe at all!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Svalbard and Ukraine has so much in common.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Radio Prune posted:

There's a folk myth in Hungary that "Hungary's shores were washed by three seas", based on the personal empire of Louis the Great which extended to the blue boundaries on this generous interpretation:

(The reason it's a myth is that a) although Louis was separately king of Poland, Poland was of course never integrated into Hungary; and b) the kingdom of Poland didn't reach up to the Baltic Sea at this point anyway.)

That probably represents the maximum extent of popular Hungarian irredentism, much larger than the standard interpretation of Greater Hungary:

3peat
May 6, 2010

Kainser posted:

Svalbard and Ukraine has so much in common.

That's the original color of the map, you vastly underestimate my laziness if you think I would have gone over all those stupid fjords with the ms paint fill tool

Radio Prune posted:

Lithuania is Eastern Europe :colbert:

Your pink and you'll learn to love it!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I always wonder if there's big things like this for places that haven't existed for years. Are there people demanding that all these goddamn albanians get out of Epirus?

edit: Of course I say this and the last page just had a bunch of stuff about this exact topic. oh well

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 9, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ebola spread as of September 4th (excluding Nigeria)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pvt Dancer posted:

A+ would welcome living in Sealand and no longer be associated with those Lowland jerks.
From the replies I've seen to that map, Sealand seems pretty popular among people actually living in those regions. Obviously we're the least xenophobic Europeans.

Torrannor posted:

Yes please, a union of Cyprus, most of Greece and the by far poorest parts of Italy, what could go wrong?

On the other hand, I bet A Buttery Pastry is pleased to get back Skania, Schleswig and Holstein, while also gaining Friesia!
You forgot getting back Oldenburg too!

(Incidentally, Sealand's German and Dutch border seems pretty much designed to allow a Low German revival, which I'm also completely in favor of.)

Torrannor posted:

2. Good luck convincing the Poles to join a state called Prussia and governed from Berlin.
It should be renamed Pomerania, with its capital Gdańzig.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Riso posted:

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Peanut President posted:

I always wonder if there's big things like this for places that haven't existed for years. Are there people demanding that all these goddamn albanians get out of Epirus?

edit: Of course I say this and the last page just had a bunch of stuff about this exact topic. oh well

There's an irredentist movement of Greeks in Northern Epirus (in the south of Albania).
And pretty much everyone wants Albanians gone from inside their borders (except for Albania and Kosovo). They're just not acting on that desire.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The European part of Kazakhstan, larger than Greece, Ireland etc.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

3peat posted:

And, to finally put to rest arguments over which countries are part of Eastern Europe, Central Europe, etc I've whipped out ms paint and made a map :)

All of it should be "Europe", except Poland which should be "Eastern Europe". And of course Turkey's Asian parts aren't Europe.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

3peat posted:

The Caucasus belonging to Southern Europe is certainly a new idea.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kainser posted:

The European part of Kazakhstan, larger than Greece, Ireland etc.

Kick Greece and Ireland out of Europe!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Riso posted:

We should take Thrace and give it to the Greeks, it would solve all out Turkey related problems!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Zohar posted:

There's a folk myth in Hungary that "Hungary's shores were washed by three seas", based on the personal empire of Louis the Great which extended to the blue boundaries on this generous interpretation:

(The reason it's a myth is that a) although Louis was separately king of Poland, Poland was of course never integrated into Hungary; and b) the kingdom of Poland didn't reach up to the Baltic Sea at this point anyway.)

That probably represents the maximum extent of popular Hungarian irredentism, much larger than the standard interpretation of Greater Hungary:

On that note, haven't Poland and Hungary been on pretty good terms during the times they've existed as independent states?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kennel posted:

Kick Greece and Ireland out of Europe!

we're working on it!

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

On that note, haven't Poland and Hungary been on pretty good terms during the times they've existed as independent states?

Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_and_Hungarian_cousins_be

They've got a pretty long history of shared enemies and sometimes shared rulers.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Radio Prune posted:

I have but one, but it is the best one.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Do one for America in 1945/VJ-Day

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My Imaginary GF posted:

Do one for America in 1945/VJ-Day

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

This one has like no basis in history, but it's better :colbert:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

From the replies I've seen to that map, Sealand seems pretty popular among people actually living in those regions. Obviously we're the least xenophobic Europeans.

Are they gonna have orca shows?

3peat
May 6, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I made that one and it warms my heart that someone remembers it :D
I remember I went wild with the ms paint brush over parts that weren't part of the empire and nobody noticed when I first posted it itt

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Why is this map politically loaded?

The A's aren't on here isn't that sad?

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

This one has like no basis in history, but it's better :colbert:

You're missing Ancient Korea's American claims. :colbert:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Why is this map politically loaded?

The A's aren't on here isn't that sad?

Being born in the 80s in the south bay meant we had a lot of fans of both. At least until 1989. :q:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How Africa Would Look Like if its Borders Were Defined By Ethnicity and Language. By George Peter Murdock,1959

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Radio Prune posted:

Here's an old classic

My favorite part is that non-northern ireland is entirely missing

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

ekuNNN posted:

How Africa Would Look Like if its Borders Were Defined By Ethnicity and Language. By George Peter Murdock,1959

Its like look at a map of the holy roman empire only with slightly more contiguous regions.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

icantfindaname posted:

I think for Sealand they just took the names from the provinces of the Netherlands and Denmark that are both named Sealand (Zeeland and Sjælland) Take it up with the medieval Dutch and Danish if you don't like the names

Obviously the province is named after its capital.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lycus posted:

Are they gonna have orca shows?
That's disgusting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Vorpal Cat posted:

Its like look at a map of the holy roman empire only with slightly more contiguous regions.
Except that the largest the HRE ever got was smaller than present-day Namibia. Africa is a big continent, and a lot of those states in that fantasy map are actually giant countries. Past your Luxembourgs, your San Marinos, and your Monacos, you have plenty of countries in Europe that are considered to be mid-range that are actually teeny tiny. Best example, because they have the same shape, is that Denmark is way smaller than Togo.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Disco Infiva posted:

This was posted in DnD Pictures thread:

This is politically loaded map personified.

I look forward to living in the glorious Celtic Union where spend all of our time arguing over what language to speak at meetings.

Also, :lol: at Vasconia.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

cheerfullydrab posted:

Except that the largest the HRE ever got was smaller than present-day Namibia. Africa is a big continent, and a lot of those states in that fantasy map are actually giant countries. Past your Luxembourgs, your San Marinos, and your Monacos, you have plenty of countries in Europe that are considered to be mid-range that are actually teeny tiny. Best example, because they have the same shape, is that Denmark is way smaller than Togo.

Quick reference: Alaska covers roughly 2/3rds the land area of DRC. Although, to make a map comparable with the HRE, I'd have to see one of the HRE divided by the lingua franca of the ruler/elite/bishopric. Most of Africa can solidly be divided between English, French, Spanish/Portuguese, Arabic, Belgian, and a few other administrarive langiages.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cheerfullydrab posted:

Asia is still much larger than Africa and is not divided into more than 100 countries. Also, the Kingdom of Denmark is the 12th biggest country in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

3peat posted:

I made that one and it warms my heart that someone remembers it :D
I remember I went wild with the ms paint brush over parts that weren't part of the empire and nobody noticed when I first posted it itt

It's really one of the best maps itt. Though it's a pity that it's not made by a real FYROMian nationalist.