Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

quote:

Microsoft is nearing a deal to buy Mojang AB, makers of the Minecraft video game franchise, according to a new report. According to the Wall Street Journal, the deal would value Mojang at more than $2 billion and could be signed as soon as this week.

mojang is obviously extremely profitable but their main product is a cross platform java game, which i would have thought is the literal antithesis of ms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ahhhhhgfahdj afl;vcrfdxf

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
also that fat grinning swedish manchild is going to become even richer

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'd like to add an addendum to the discussion:

it is 'lol'

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Metrication posted:

mojang is obviously extremely profitable but their main product is a cross platform java game, which i would have thought is the literal antithesis of ms

i think 2 bn can go a long way towards reining in that cross platform thing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Metrication posted:

i love that they announce it long after its availability on android, ios, ps3, right after its release on ps4 and with a vita version around the corner

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

with 2 billion notch can complete his deep and profound programmable spaceships game

only playable char: clippy

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

minecraft 2: a windows only f2p game like aoe online

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

because your boss already spent millions of dollars on lync without talking to anyone

jpmorgan chase got lync for free to encourage them to switch to exchange (from lotus notes)

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 10, 2014

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

i'm sure ms can make mojang unprofitable, unpopular and without any of its original employees within several months of buying it. perhaps they will set a new record.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
didn't notch also tell microsoft to get hosed after they asked him about making a windows store version of minecraft?

i guess 2 billion can remedy that

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

had to google mojang to check that the random ms bad choices news generator wasnt trying to play tricks on me.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Phoenixan posted:

didn't notch also tell microsoft to get hosed after they asked him about making a windows store version of minecraft?

i guess 2 billion can remedy that

yeah pretty sure he hates windows 8 lol

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quote:

lol

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
lol notch stopped all work on the oculus rift version of minecraft when it got bought out by Facebook

money changes everything

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Metrication posted:

yeah pretty sure he hates windows 8 lol

you'd think he'd be okay with an operating system about moving around large colorful blocks

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

money changes everything

to be fair, we're talking about 2 billion dollars here. i hate microsoft and all, but i'd take the gently caress out of an offer like that and wouldn't feel the least bit sorry

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

univbee posted:

to be fair, we're talking about 2 billion dollars here. i hate microsoft and all, but i'd take the gently caress out of an offer like that and wouldn't feel the least bit sorry
id kill every yosposter with my bare hands for a lot less than $2bn

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
a LOT less

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FMguru posted:

id kill every yosposter with my bare hands for a lot less than $2bn

i'd do anything to anybody and go on tv arguing it was the philosophically correct choice and idgaf who knows it

heck id buy a galaxy phone

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

drat

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

:eyepop:

ok i'm out

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
yeah the older i get the more I want to totally sell out

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

univbee posted:

ok i'm out

one day ill run for president of canada and this quote will come back to haunt be but im so fuckin spicy right now idgaf

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FMguru posted:

a LOT less

$200?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i'll do it for $199.99

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beeftweeter posted:

i'll do it for $199.99
*on a 3 year contract

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

i'd like to add an addendum to the discussion:

it is 'lol'

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

quote:

The news that Microsoft would be rename its Bing content apps with the MSN brand was met immediately with the resistance I expected from the Windows community. But if you step back and think about it for a moment, this rebranding—and the resultant relaunch of MSN as a web-based portal for all of the information that backs these wonderful apps—actually makes sense. MSN, after all, is Microsoft's online content brand, and Bing is about search. Put another way, MSN is Microsoft's Yahoo, and Bing is Microsoft's Google.

Can we rename the thread?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i bought this once

it was bad

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

did you, uh, bing up your rear end?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
minecraft at 792p is going to be amazing once they port over the terrible hacked together single java file used to make the game

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

microsoft is buying mojang for 2 billion dollars

this might actually be funnier than todays apple keynote

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Siljmonster posted:

minecraft at 792p is going to be amazing once they port over the terrible hacked together single java file used to make the game
the guy once had ifs for everything rather than using switches

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
minecraft = 2 instagrams??

also watch the vita port get cancelled immediately and the ps4 version stops working entirely

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
to be fair both xbl and the minecraft community are full of literal children so they've got a decent synergy going on there

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Siljmonster posted:

there's already Xbox 360 and Xbox One ports (and PS3, PS4, Vita), they're a complete rewrite in C++ by 4J Studios

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pseudorandom name posted:

there's already Xbox 360 and Xbox One ports (and PS3, PS4, Vita), they're a complete rewrite in C++ by 4J Studios

lol i forgot about that

you know MS would rewrite it again

Minecraft only on Windows 9!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Siljmonster posted: