Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was just about to post this. Also, Schwarzenegger's BMI at competitive weight was 33. If someone has a BMI over 30 and doesn't look like Arnie at competition, they're a fatty. Nobody who complains about these measurements not taking muscle into account is a bodybuilder.

Not everyone who strength trains is a bodybuilder (who obsess over cutting body fat to the point of unhealthiness). And some people just have weird proportions. I have a buddy (out of the Navy actually) who was just a short stocky guy and struggled with the tape but could max the PRT every time and could out PT most people I know. That said, I agree that your average Navy dude with a 40 inch waist probably isn't fit. This is where I think that the tape being an automatic fail is bullshit. If you can score an excellent on the PRT than the BCA shouldn't be an automatic failure.

By the way, I'm sure that you all know this by now but the proposed changes are on the cover of the Navy Times which means its official now. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

Not everyone who strength trains is a bodybuilder (who obsess over cutting body fat to the point of unhealthiness). And some people just have weird proportions. I have a buddy (out of the Navy actually) who was just a short stocky guy and struggled with the tape but could max the PRT every time and could out PT most people I know. That said, I agree that your average Navy dude with a 40 inch waist probably isn't fit. This is where I think that the tape being an automatic fail is bullshit. If you can score an excellent on the PRT than the BCA shouldn't be an automatic failure.

By the way, I'm sure that you all know this by now but the proposed changes are on the cover of the Navy Times which means its official now. :science:

Also if you can't fit through a scuttle, automatic fail.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm sure we've all seen that guy. You know, those of us that have actually been on a Navy ship.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

I'm sure we've all seen that guy. You know, those of us that have actually been on a Navy ship.

Or will ever be. A friend of mine offered to get me on board one day when I was in San Diego because I had a child's look of "woaaaaah so that's a real ship...." when we drove by some port, denied it though, who the gently caress wants to go near the Navy when they're off?

Meanwhile, PT isn't mandatory but when one of the upper enlisted fails a mock PRT then it does. :laffo:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Snowdens Secret posted:

Speaking as a cranky civilian with fading memory of sub life, I can assure you that a PFA excellent or outstanding mean gently caress all for the vast majority of technical and engineering jobs, and boosting promotion candidates based on their body fat or run speed instead of technical expertise or leadership merit is a recipe for disaster. We're not monkey Marines and our job isn't to haul 100 lbs of armor and SAW around all day, we need to be promoting based on who can track maintenance most effectively, gently caress it up the least, keep the plant running etc.

The focus on physical appearance is bizarre taken in combination with increased sea time and longer deployments that keep sailors inside the hatches all that much more of their enlistment, and the latter should be way, way more of a concern than the former.

This is not an empty quote.

Those graphs are crazy and now that I have actual tangible metrics everyone at work will get to hear me bitch about death by administration.

Anyone in here have their MTS? I board in a few days, any tips would be pretty swell.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
So, as fate would have it, I got to speak with an admiral today (who will remain nameless) that has a direct role in the Navy's fitness programs. I asked him very bluntly what the status of the proposed changes was, and if we could expect to see them soon. His answer was much more blunt then I expected, and boiled down to the current instruction is more or less sufficient and would not be changing substantially, and the ideas such as random BCA's were stupid and not really in line with what the instruction is trying to accomplish. The response was quite the breath of fresh air.

He then went on to say the one thing he was looking at with BCA was its inaccuracies, and if there is a better way of doing business that met the intent of increasing the overall health and fitness of the Navy, but was fair and didn't require sailors to do stupid, unhealthy, stuff such as crash diet for weeks to keep their careers. :monocle:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

No lie, I was just sketching out what my baseline "functional fitness" test would look like. First off, it would be specific to community because every tribe in the Navy has different physical requirements. For the surface (and probably subs too though I have no insight into how they really work) it would consist of two parts:

1) Starting with an FFE and SCBA on, you have to go up, and down, a scuttle for time. If you pass you move onto section 2, if you fail you get to try again. Fail a second time and you fail the test entirely.
2) Go on air then, for time, carry 80lbs of equipment 100ft, on the same deck, through a QAWTD. Then drop the gear and find a 180lbs dummy and carry/drag back through the QAWTD and the 100ft back to the starting position.

Adjust distances, weights, and times for taste until you have a reasonable standard.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

No lie, I was just sketching out what my baseline "functional fitness" test would look like. First off, it would be specific to community because every tribe in the Navy has different physical requirements. For the surface (and probably subs too though I have no insight into how they really work) it would consist of two parts:

1) Starting with an FFE and SCBA on, you have to go up, and down, a scuttle for time. If you pass you move onto section 2, if you fail you get to try again. Fail a second time and you fail the test entirely.
2) Go on air then, for time, carry 80lbs of equipment 100ft, on the same deck, through a QAWTD. Then drop the gear and find a 180lbs dummy and carry/drag back through the QAWTD and the 100ft back to the starting position.

Adjust distances, weights, and times for taste until you have a reasonable standard.

Makes sense to me, for sea-duty sailors. Never going to happen though.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't the USMC have two tests? A general PFA and then a Combat Fitness Test or something like that? USN could do something similar for sea-duty sailors.

Again though, never going to happen. As someone mentioned today (about program offices and acquisitions) we have the blind, leading the blind, who are leading other blind.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Boon posted:

Doesn't the USMC have two tests? A general PFA and then a Combat Fitness Test or something like that? USN could do something similar for sea-duty sailors.

Again though, never going to happen.

Yep. That was the basic idea for me, except drop the PFA portion and just do the functional test.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Put the dummy in an officers uniform and watch half the fleet time out due to deep moral convictions.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah but those as well as rifle qual factor into their promotion system.

Don't get me wrong the CFT is a better test for, and I hate to use this word, "functional" strength but it's still pretty silly. Plus they do pull ups and not push ups for the PFA.

But how are dudes on subs or suicidal nukes who work 16 hour days 6 days a week supposed to realistic stay fit?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 9, 2014

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Not everyone who strength trains is a bodybuilder (who obsess over cutting body fat to the point of unhealthiness).

One of the GSreallyhighnumber civilians I worked with was a bodybuilder. She had a great rear end, but her skin looked like old leather.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Christoff posted:

Yeah but those as well as rifle qual factor into their promotion system.

Don't get me wrong the CFT is a better test for, and I hate to use this word, "functional" strength but it's still pretty silly. Plus they do pull ups and not push ups for the PFA.

But how are dudes on subs or suicidal nukes who work 16 hour days 6 days a week supposed to realistic stay fit?

"PT Shall be included in the work week" by increasing it to 18 hour days 7 days a week or something.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah that's usually how it goes especially after a bunch of failures. Some uncoordinated group PT that has absolutely no physical benefit at all.

"Uhhh ok let's just do a million flutter kicks and run 2 laps"

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

We had some fitness lady lead our PT when we were in the shipyard. She had a great rear end.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

On ship they had a loving personal trainer exercise whatever dude on deployment

Apparently he was a dick though and he was far from an image of good health. I never really saw him do much of anything

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Lets not talk about bullshit anymore

Here is my dog thinking he is hiding under the bed, but winds up looking like a baked turkey with a tail.

He also sleeps upside down everywhere and prances when he is happy.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Laranzu posted:

Lets not talk about bullshit anymore

Here is my dog thinking he is hiding under the bed, but winds up looking like a baked turkey with a tail.

He also sleeps upside down everywhere and prances when he is happy.

If he can't see you, you can't see him. Perfect :smugdog: logic.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

It would only work if it were pass/fail. You really don't want someone trying to run this thing for higher points.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

It would only work if it were pass/fail. You really don't want someone trying to run this thing for higher points.

I have no problem with it being a pass/fail system. I mean in the whole point of a functional fitness test is to see if you can do the minimum level of physical activity required for your job which is a binary question. Either you can or you can't.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

I have no problem with it being a pass/fail system. I mean in the whole point of a functional fitness test is to see if you can do the minimum level of physical activity required for your job which is a binary question. Either you can or you can't.

Yeah, what would be the point in having anything other than a pass/fail. If you can't do it, then you're a liability on board the ship and you shouldn't be there.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Gunktacular posted:

Yeah, what would be the point in having anything other than a pass/fail. If you can't do it, then you're a liability on board the ship and you shouldn't be there.

Exactly.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Christoff posted:

You'd be surprised how many calories you burn chasing down the engineer to get maintenance approval while lugging a half shelf of reactor plant manuals. In fact, just make that our functional fitness test.

The Marine test (sorta) works for the Marines because a) shlepping around carrying a bunch of poo poo is a huge part of their regular day already, and b) their uniform of the day is already pretty much their worst case outfit (until you get into MOPP crap.) An FFE+SCBA is not the uniform of the day for pretty much anyone, and getting an entire command in and out of them to run a course would take an eternity. You could mitigate -some- of that by having an off-hull course on base with a poo poo ton of spare suits + breathers, but that wouldn't help you in your Bumfuckistan liberty port when some genius decides everyone's due for PRT halfway through deployment.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

You'd be surprised how many calories you burn chasing down the engineer to get maintenance approval while lugging a half shelf of reactor plant manuals. In fact, just make that our functional fitness test.

The Marine test (sorta) works for the Marines because a) shlepping around carrying a bunch of poo poo is a huge part of their regular day already, and b) their uniform of the day is already pretty much their worst case outfit (until you get into MOPP crap.) An FFE+SCBA is not the uniform of the day for pretty much anyone, and getting an entire command in and out of them to run a course would take an eternity. You could mitigate -some- of that by having an off-hull course on base with a poo poo ton of spare suits + breathers, but that wouldn't help you in your Bumfuckistan liberty port when some genius decides everyone's due for PRT halfway through deployment.

Eh, just break it up by department or division or something.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
prt for subs should be the DC trainer for flooding and jp5 fire trainer. if you dont close the leaks you fail prt or if you pass out during the holyfuckingshititsactuallyhot fire trainer you fail

edit : actually it could also be a 150 TDU weight box onload if you want to simulate ~real sub fitness requirements~

ded fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ManMythLegend posted:

Eh, just break it up by department or division or something.

I can see you're almost ready to be a CO. You've already moved to a point to where you just dismiss the small details. Let the underlings figure that out.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can see you're almost ready to be a CO. You've already moved to a point to where you just dismiss the small details. Let the underlings figure that out.

I'm what you call an "ideas man".

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Do you smoke cigars? When you get your command you should start if you don't already. Smoke them anywhere you drat well please because gently caress you I'm the CO. Thats what my CO did. CMDR Rubenstein owned.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ded posted:

Do you smoke cigars? When you get your command you should start if you don't already. Smoke them anywhere you drat well please because gently caress you I'm the CO. Thats what my CO did. CMDR Rubenstein owned.

Not cigars, but I was thinking of getting a salty rear end looking pipe.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ok I have 2 years left in my contract and my DOD obligated overseas tour is over, leaving me with 2 more years of shore duty. I would like some recommendations of not gay bases to go to.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

Not cigars, but I was thinking of getting a salty rear end looking pipe.

http://corncobpipe.com/country-gentleman-corncob-pipe.html
http://corncobpipe.com/macarthur-5-star-corn-cob-pipe.html

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

orange juche posted:

Ok I have 2 years left in my contract and my DOD obligated overseas tour is over, leaving me with 2 more years of shore duty. I would like some recommendations of not gay bases to go to.

What's your rate?

gently caress.

YES.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

What's your rate?

gently caress.

YES.

IT, aka printer bitch. I have potential billets virtually everywhere.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Go to Norfolk.

(Don't go to Norfolk)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Boon posted:

Go to Norfolk.

(Don't go to Norfolk)

Been to Norfolk.

It was gay.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

orange juche posted:

IT, aka printer bitch. I have potential billets virtually everywhere.

See if you can snatch a billet in Monterey. They've got both Secret and Top Secret vaults that need computer janitors. They still had sailors tinkering with them circa 3 years ago. It's a chill as he'll command, and one of the most beautiful areas of the planet.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

ManMythLegend posted:

See if you can snatch a billet in Monterey. They've got both Secret and Top Secret vaults that need computer janitors. They still had sailors tinkering with them circa 3 years ago. It's a chill as he'll command, and one of the most beautiful areas of the planet.

Just be forewarned, I'm pretty sure most of the ITs at NPS end up working at the helpdesk spending their days explaining how to work projectors to PhDs and how to connect to a VPN to dumb graduate students.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Will definitely check that one out. CMS-ID is in the Scrub phase so cool guys like myself can't get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Octopode posted:

Just be forewarned, I'm pretty sure most of the ITs at NPS end up working at the helpdesk spending their days explaining how to work projectors to PhDs and how to connect to a VPN to dumb graduate students.

If it pays the bills, and isn't straight up terrible, I could give a gently caress. There are fates worse than that :unsmigghh:

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 10, 2014

• Locked thread