Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Now that I think about it...

Rincewind: are there going to be Manichean pops just sort of scattered all around the place, what with the silk road and Transoxanaia being a haven for the religion and all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It sucks we don't have any New World or African holdings; we can't soak in those sweet sweet immigrant pops when the poo poo hits the fan.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

It sucks we don't have any New World or African holdings; we can't soak in those sweet sweet immigrant pops when the poo poo hits the fan.

The new world bonus is moddable, I think. It might not even exist here, what with the much less successful European colonization and the survival of native urban civilization.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Clayren posted:

You've a point there, here's an exact sized one

Edit: Not a fan of tricolor? How about bicolor?

Or a different form of tricolor?

White hurts my eyes, but the black scaled down nicer than I thought it would.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Now that I think about it... China is going to bite it, big time. It's just too big to live. It's going to be an amazing collapse. So where are people going to go, fleeing what is going to be an utterly terrifying situation? Either the far away new world, or the west. The west is actually more likely, I think, because of the sinicized successor states, who would offer tempting refuge to many people looking to make their fortune or escape strife at home.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Clayren posted:

You've a point there, here's an exact sized one

Edit: Not a fan of tricolor? How about bicolor?

Or a different form of tricolor?

All of these have tintcure violations, try shifting the stag so that it's only on one background.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

NewMars posted:

The new world bonus is moddable, I think. It might not even exist here, what with the much less successful European colonization and the survival of native urban civilization.

Given that Rome/Byzantium is one of the few republics on the map, I could easily see us getting an influx of immigrants, especially if some of the larger empires start to collapse.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

RZApublican posted:

Given that Rome/Byzantium is one of the few republics on the map, I could easily see us getting an influx of immigrants, especially if some of the larger empires start to collapse.

Won't it just be the Americas getting all the immigrants and that's it?

...I just realized that at some point, Ming is going to gently caress itself up. It seems inevitable. And then people are going to emigrate. Oh god.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Tulip posted:

All of these have tintcure violations, try shifting the stag so that it's only on one background.

Not sure what a tintcure violation is but it sounds like something from drivers ed.

Fun fact: this was done entirely on mspaint. I mean I have Indesign, but I'm too lazy to wait for it to update and load for something this small.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Won't it just be the Americas getting all the immigrants and that's it?

...I just realized that at some point, Ming is going to gently caress itself up. It seems inevitable. And then people are going to emigrate. Oh god.

That's what I mean for the new world bonus.

The new world bonus massively outweighs any other bonus in the game for immigrants.

I think it can be modded though...

Edit: Yes, as it turns out that modifier is completely modifiable.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 10, 2014

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Clayren posted:

Not sure what a tintcure violation is but it sounds like something from drivers ed.

Fun fact: this was done entirely on mspaint. I mean I have Indesign, but I'm too lazy to wait for it to update and load for something this small.

Regardless, much better.

Tintcure's a rule from English heraldry that's generally considered a good principle for flags and such. Basically, yellow and white are 'metals' and everything else is a color, don't put metal on metal or color on color.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Tulip posted:

Regardless, much better.

Tintcure's a rule from English heraldry that's generally considered a good principle for flags and such. Basically, yellow and white are 'metals' and everything else is a color, don't put metal on metal or color on color.

That said, Albania doesn't give a gently caress.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RZApublican posted:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
and I'll send them off to die in the navy!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

We need to reclaim Rhodes so we can put the Statue of Liberty there.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

NewMars posted:

That's what I mean for the new world bonus.

The new world bonus massively outweighs any other bonus in the game for immigrants.

I think it can be modded though...

Edit: Yes, as it turns out that modifier is completely modifiable.

I've heard that the USA tag is hardcoded to receive extra immigration on top of the new world bonuses (and also the ridiculous statue of liberty event). Probably best to not reuse that tag.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Perhaps Byz. Republic should get a immigration bonus due to it's tolerant reputation?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I see Silla seems to be slowly moving west through Siberia, claiming the amazingly still not colonized parts of the region.

I wonder how they are convincing people to move there. Go northwest, young man!

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

willing to settle posted:

I've heard that the USA tag is hardcoded to receive extra immigration on top of the new world bonuses (and also the ridiculous statue of liberty event). Probably best to not reuse that tag.

I think you mean best we use that tag. :fsmug:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oceania also gets immigration bonuses, so...

Glorious Korean Australia :korea::australia: needs to go independent.

Now I am wondering what Australia is even called in this timeline.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I've seen other nations get more immigrants than the USA in Vic 2. In fact, one game I played Australia in it became larger than America in terms of immigrants.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

willing to settle posted:

That was Ricky, V2 doesn't have that.

You can mod immigrant attraction by continent in V2 easily enough and you can add country modifiers (like the Statue of Liberty in vanilla) to manage it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

GSD posted:

Oceania also gets immigration bonuses, so...

Glorious Korean Australia :korea::australia: needs to go independent.

Now I am wondering what Australia is even called in this timeline.

I don't speak korean but Australia just means "southern land." So that should be easy.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Right now the Korean part of Australia is called the "Silla South Pacific Company" and the Brunei section is called "New South Brunei".

So what I'm getting at is, yeah, it needs a better name.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Considering Brunei is Sincizied as Boni, a Korean or Chinese name makes sense. Maybe go with whichever of the two colonized the region first (if that is known anyway, if it would require digging into old saves it isn't important)?

Chinese over Malay because HansaLP already used Selatan :v:.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the whole immigration to the New World thing doesn't make sense like it does in the OTL, considering the Americas are much more settled than they were. Maybe a modifier for "colonial nations" getting a immigrant bonus, like the Silla and Fujiwara possessions, and the Lai Ang and Avalon colonies?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

GSD posted:

Considering Brunei is Sincizied as Boni, a Korean or Chinese name makes sense. Maybe go with whichever of the two colonized the region first (if that is known anyway, if it would require digging into old saves it isn't important)?

Chinese over Malay because HansaLP already used Selatan :v:.

Boni was there first, IIRC. Or at least their colonial nation formed first.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

As a Bruneian state we gain several boni.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Rincewind posted:

Right now the Korean part of Australia is called the "Silla South Pacific Company" and the Brunei section is called "New South Brunei".

So what I'm getting at is, yeah, it needs a better name.

We in Australia use a heap of Aboriginal names for places, occasionally mixing it with English (like Kippa Ring).

But if I may make a suggestion, I think a good name for Australia would be Karatgurk. Seven sisters who refused to share the secret of fire to mankind, and ended up getting tricked by a crow who shared the secret of fire to mankind.

Thematically, the seven sisters represent the 7 states of Vic 2 Australia (I don't think the Australian Capital Territory is represented) and the Crow represent the Asian's bringing civilization to Australia.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not sure what to call the colonies in Australia themselves but voting for "Nambu" as the melting pot cultural POP of the Malay/Silla settlers.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Windy posted:

We in Australia use a heap of Aboriginal names for places, occasionally mixing it with English (like Kippa Ring).

But if I may make a suggestion, I think a good name for Australia would be Karatgurk. Seven sisters who refused to share the secret of fire to mankind, and ended up getting tricked by a crow who shared the secret of fire to mankind.

Thematically, the seven sisters represent the 7 states of Vic 2 Australia (I don't think the Australian Capital Territory is represented) and the Crow represent the Asian's bringing civilization to Australia.

Sounds cool to me!

I was looking up if anything looked good in Korean or Chinese for "South land," "New Korea," "New Brunei/Malaya" and such things, and nothing sounded particularly exciting when translated. So this has my vote.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
The way I see it, there are a few ways to go about naming the place. First could be looking at the aforementioned Aboriginal names, and Karatgurk might be nice. Next could be looking at something from myth or something related to their current places. But a different approach could be something more... marketable. Give it a name that stands out, perhaps even mimicing Britain's naming of the New World as "Avalon."

Come one, come all, ladies and gentlemen! Come to the land of opportunity, a pure land, a land of tranquility! Come to Shambhala!

Actually, come to think of it, have you noticed any unusual/amusing goings on among the Asian or New World nations, Rincewind? Religious groups springing up in unusual places, strange rulers deserving of the silliest of hats, crazy buildup of tech levels in unexpected places? I ask because they can serve as fun little points of reference for things to come. At the very least a funny flag or two. :v:

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 10, 2014

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Alright here are my final suggestions for Hindustan:

Monarchy

Republic

Fascist

Communist (hammer and rice sickle)

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Clayren posted:

Alright here are my final suggestions for Hindustan:

Communist (hammer and rice sickle)

So (Tintcure) metal.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
drat missed the vote.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The word is 'tincture'.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

A bit late on this, but re: "Hindustan" not actually containing the Indus River: The words "Hindustan" and "India" both come from the same root, being named after the river, and the modern Republic of India seems perfectly happy calling itself that even though like 95% the Indus River is inside Pakistan now. So I don't think it should be a big deal. "Hindustan" has always been sort of a general term for the whole subcontinent anyway.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I like just having Maratha and Orissa for now and putting in a Hindustan tag for if one conquers the other.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Bharata's a cool name for India too, could use that.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

A bit late on this, but re: "Hindustan" not actually containing the Indus River: The words "Hindustan" and "India" both come from the same root, being named after the river, and the modern Republic of India seems perfectly happy calling itself that even though like 95% the Indus River is inside Pakistan now. So I don't think it should be a big deal. "Hindustan" has always been sort of a general term for the whole subcontinent anyway.

Tell me more of this mythical realm of Hindustan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

ninjahedgehog posted:

Tell me more of this mythical realm of Hindustan.

It was a word commonly used to describe the Mughals' holdings in Mughal Court Persian and, as such, was a pretty popular term for India throughout the EU4 timeframe? Even the British tended to use it in some respects, like referring to the "Hindustani" language (Hindi and Urdu).

EDIT: Of course, Hindi wasn't exactly the language of choice of the areas that our Hindustan controls, either, so back to square one.

• Locked thread