Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Red_October_7000 posted:

J. Edgar Hoover in a dress, is it really that small? Well I suppose that explains why even with two 18-high towers and one 16-high, I still don't get any backlog of brine. I want to have enough to actually be able to store it in drums, but so far I haven't had any luck getting enough to even run one electrolytic separator at capacity, never mind having enough surplus to start storing it!

It's something absurd like that. Brine towers take multiple gallons of water to produce a single cup of brine. Mechaet didn't forbid Brine towers because they were inefficient, he doesn't care and actually likes seeing people make absurd industrial things. What was the problem was that you'd need 10+ accumulators running just to keep the suckers running about even mid-day. One accumulator isn't so bad as TE machines are very well programmed machines. 10-20 PER brine tower on top of the brine tower's own processes? Watch Minecraft start pitching a fit.

Oh, and they ONLY work during the day (6AM to 6PM) AND they also heat up in the sun. Have a cloudy day and it's noon? No Brine production, and no heat being built up during the rain so you'll be producing a trickle if the rain stops. Hotter than the surface of the sun but it's five seconds after sundown? You produce nothing because you apparently need direct sunlight AND heat. OH and last I checked there's a biome multiplier. If you're not in a desert or ocean you're gently caress because you're not getting the 2x efficiency bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Couldn't you increase the power or whatever of the accumulators by 20?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Please please please please please.

This modding drama will reach a new peak when Microsoft brings the Lawyerhammer down on these twerps :getin:

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Unbelievable. I hope the sale goes through though because, unlike Mojang, Microsoft can actually do PR, get clear EULAs put out there and send in an army of lawyers anytime they get stupid DMCA notices.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Too bad they can't update games.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Yeah, they'll fix up the legal situation and have good PR, but ruin everything else. Mojang is a disaster of a company but in a way their incompetence is what has allowed the modding community to thrive, despite its pathetic aspects. If MS takes over that will choke and die. Which is a real shame because even though mojang and MC are both pretty pathetic the modding scene is actually really cool, and it's sheer scale and collective creativity is unprecedented. The progression of mods from 3 years ago to now is staggering.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Taffer posted:

Yeah, they'll fix up the legal situation and have good PR, but ruin everything else. Mojang is a disaster of a company but in a way their incompetence is what has allowed the modding community to thrive, despite its pathetic aspects. If MS takes over that will choke and die. Which is a real shame because even though mojang and MC are both pretty pathetic the modding scene is actually really cool, and it's sheer scale and collective creativity is unprecedented. The progression of mods from 3 years ago to now is staggering.

Microsoft couldn't possibly care less about the PC side of things. For modded minecraft, this will mean one of 2 things: either nothing will change, or they'll take resources away from the PC minecraft team and updates will slow to a halt.

It also means we'll never see a wiiu version of minecraft, which is a legitimate shame.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dear god making a stupid game about blocks will make Notch the 961st richest person on the entire earth :psyduck:
I honestly thought it would be higher there's way to many billionaires

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

Dear god making a stupid game about blocks will make Notch the 961st richest person on the entire earth :psyduck:
I honestly thought it would be higher there's way to many billionaires

Until he gets married again and she divorces him and takes half...... again.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm all for pissing off spergy modders, but this is a deathnell for Minecraft as a not-poo poo product.

I just really hope they don't get all patent trolly and decide that owning Mojang means they own the idea of building things out of cubes in video games and start going after all the minecraft clones that have cropped up, since in a year or two, that's all we'll have on PC. (Unless you want to play Minecraft 2, free with your xbox gold subscription, where you can buy 20 diamonds for the low, low price of $5. LAN? What is a LAN?)

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Anyone holding out that they may be a positive thing for Minecraft? Sure, they'll clean up all the legal mumbo jumbo going on in the community, but if they devote even a small helping hand to this project they could provide tools and resources to take the platform to the next level. Mojang will constantly remind you they are a small team and can't afford to implement x, y and z. Maybe with Microsoft, they'll embrace the modding community and help with some of the technology issues -- server performance, updates, etc.

Too much to ask for?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

senae posted:

Microsoft couldn't possibly care less about the PC side of things. For modded minecraft, this will mean one of 2 things: either nothing will change, or they'll take resources away from the PC minecraft team and updates will slow to a halt.

It also means we'll never see a wiiu version of minecraft, which is a legitimate shame.

I'm thinking nothing will change. Microsoft is going to care about the console market, maybe they care about the whole Minecraft Realms thing (Now on Azure!) and other for-money pursuits. The merchandising, the movie, that stuff. The future customer base that grew up playing Minecraft 5 hours a day every day their entire childhood is certainly worth something. I bet the twitter shenanigans that Mojang does will stop immediately. We still have all the old versions of Minecraft around also.

Mojang sold out a long time ago with Lego sets and movies, this isn't anything different.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hitch posted:

Anyone holding out that they may be a positive thing for Minecraft? Sure, they'll clean up all the legal mumbo jumbo going on in the community, but if they devote even a small helping hand to this project they could provide tools and resources to take the platform to the next level. Mojang will constantly remind you they are a small team and can't afford to implement x, y and z. Maybe with Microsoft, they'll embrace the modding community and help with some of the technology issues -- server performance, updates, etc.

Too much to ask for?

They called the third Xbox the Xbox One.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

We still have all the old versions of Minecraft around also.

No matter what happens my copy of 1.2.5 Tekkit+ will run; I have no worries :v:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hitch posted:

Too much to ask for?

Considering we're talking about Microsoft it is pretty drat optimistic.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Hitch posted:

Too much to ask for?

It's possible that you have never heard of Microsoft before.

See:
Internet explorer
Halo
Xbox One

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eric the Mauve posted:

Considering we're talking about Microsoft it is pretty drat optimistic.

They are paying two billion dollars for this poo poo. That means they plan on squeezing at least that much profit out of the game and more. Minecraft is going to be locked down with lawyers and DRM tighter than a New Reno virgin. I hope you like paid DLCs instead of mods from now on!

Also say good bye to the chuckle heads currently "developing" it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rutibex posted:

They are paying two billion dollars for this poo poo. That means they plan on squeezing at least that much profit out of the game and more. Minecraft is going to be locked down with lawyers and DRM tighter than a New Reno virgin. I hope you like paid DLCs instead of mods from now on!

Also say good bye to the chuckle heads currently "developing" it.

They paid 100 million to make the 360 controller worse , and 500 million to buy an NFL deal to use their Surface tablet where no coach actually uses it and all the networks and announcers purposefully call them iPads.

E: Xbox as an entirety is actually in the hole to the tune of about 2b, and has never been in the black. Not even with the 360. MS has never made actual money on Xbox.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 10, 2014

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Welp, MS buying Minecraft? As if I needed a new reason to stop playing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes, and I suspect Microsoft's primary motivation for pursuing Minecraft is that it's a desperate last-ditch effort to save the XBox division.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

senae posted:

Updates will slow compared to what exactly? The updates we are getting take months and have minimal interesting content.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

JerikTelorian posted:

Updates will slow compared to what exactly? The updates we are getting take months and have minimal interesting content.

Yeah, minecraft doesnt need creative content in the short term. They need genuine project management and code refactoring. Not rabbits.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Heffer posted:

Yeah, minecraft doesnt need creative content in the short term. They need genuine project management and code refactoring. Not rabbits.

They won't gently caress around with Notches java code or whatever. They are buying the Minecraftİ Brand.

They will get straight to work on Minecraft 2*exclusively for Xbox One and Games for Windows Live* with integrated DLC and Microsoft branded Official Serversİ.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
minecraft 2 will cost $30 and still have ads on win8

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

minecraft 2 will cost $30 and still have ads on win8

And you will have to buy recpies and the ability to mine ores! See that diamond? You have to buy the ability to buy it! Oh you need an iron pickaxe to mine it? You have to buy that too!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I am sure they will set up an automated way to deduct your credit card to buy xbox live points to keep a furnace going, don't worry about that.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Rutibex posted:

They won't gently caress around with Notches java code or whatever. They are buying the Minecraftİ Brand.

They will get straight to work on Minecraft 2*exclusively for Xbox One and Games for Windows Live* with integrated DLC and Microsoft branded Official Serversİ.

Come on people. If you're going to be this ridiculously pessimistic about this, at least get your facts straight. Games for Windows Live is a dead platform. Has been for a while now.

In your case it would be through the Windows Store, on the XBox Windows program like Microsoft Minesweeper, Solitaire and Mahjong are. It will have sync capabilities across all supported devices, including Windows, XBox One, and probably even the most recent Windows Phone.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Onean posted:

Come on people. If you're going to be this ridiculously pessimistic about this, at least get your facts straight. Games for Windows Live is a dead platform. Has been for a while now.

In your case it would be through the Windows Store, on the XBox Windows program like Microsoft Minesweeper, Solitaire and Mahjong are. It will have sync capabilities across all supported devices, including Windows, XBox One, and probably even the most recent Windows Phone.

Are you enjoying your purchase of a bone?

Do you also post on r/xboxone perchance.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
You do know that the second half of my post was largely a joke correction of Rutibex's post, right?

The actual stuff I was trying to say wasn't, though. GfWL is a dead platform, it's not coming back. Any cross-platform game Microsoft released would be under the XBox Windows label in the Windows store, just like every other cross-platform game they've released sinced Windows 8.

And no, I don't have an Xbone, and I don't really want one either.I think people are just being ridiculous when we have yet to hear anything from Mojang, or Notch himself.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Onean posted:

You do know that the second half of my post was largely a joke correction of Rutibex's post, right?

The actual stuff I was trying to say wasn't, though. GfWL is a dead platform, it's not coming back. Any cross-platform game Microsoft released would be under the XBox Windows label in the Windows store, just like every other cross-platform game they've released sinced Windows 8.

And no, I don't have an Xbone, and I don't really want one either.I think people are just being ridiculous when we have yet to hear anything from Mojang, or Notch himself.

Its never too early to joke about anything involving MS this gen. Their cascading failure is legendary.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Didn't mojang turn down a buyout from EA or Activision before? This seems somewhat like unqualified rumor to me right now...

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Exactly. Even though it was reported by the WSJ, their source is literally "a person with knowledge of the matter." That's it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Danny Glands posted:

Didn't mojang turn down a buyout from EA or Activision before? This seems somewhat like unqualified rumor to me right now...

I bet the deal will be signed in two weeks, Notch will leave Mojangrosoft after the deal finishes, Grum and Moogleman will be let go, the Twitter lack-of-PR thing will stop, and we will see an unprecedented uptick in Minecraft on things. I bet we'll even get a Minecraft happy meal!

Fake edit:

I'm being 100% serious too, bring on the chaos :getin:

edit again
New York Times has a few more details about the deal

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 10, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Notch takes the $2B and leaves MS holding the bag on the bukkit problem. Bukkit devs all sue to have Minecraft changed to open source. MS immediately forced to release source on their $2B investment.

I'm sure there are a thousand things wrong with that scenario being real, but it'd be funny.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I think Rutibex has it mostly right. They will buy the brand, rush out a Minecraft 2 in 6-9 months for Xbox One only. This will be accompanied by Minecraft branded everything. 6-8 months later of tying and failing to move 2 billion worth of games, hardware, and merch, they will dump it on steam (like they do with all the failed Xbox One games) and then file it in the vault of things Microsoft will never recoup the cost of.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hagop posted:

I think Rutibex has it mostly right. They will buy the brand, rush out a Minecraft 2 in 6-9 months for Xbox One only. This will be accompanied by Minecraft branded everything.

14 months. It will be released in November 2015, accompanied by the most pervasive advertising campaign in video game history.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Hagop posted:

I think Rutibex has it mostly right. They will buy the brand, rush out a Minecraft 2 in 6-9 months for Xbox One only. This will be accompanied by Minecraft branded everything. 6-8 months later of tying and failing to move 2 billion worth of games, hardware, and merch, they will dump it on steam (like they do with all the failed Xbox One games) and then file it in the vault of things Microsoft will never recoup the cost of.

There's not a chance it will be XBone only. I suspect shortly after the game is acquired it will be ported to Win8 app store and a portable version made for WP8. The flagging Windows Store app ecosystem desperately needs some help, and you need those targets in addition to XBone support to make the $2B worth it.

There's almost no better way to promote Windows Phone than making it the only way to play Minecraft on mobile. I suspect the PC version will be maintained as usual alongside this.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 10, 2014

Heffer
May 1, 2003

JerikTelorian posted:

There's not a chance it will be XBone only. I suspect shortly after the game is acquired it will be ported to Win8 app store and a portable version made for WP8. The flagging Windows Store app ecosystem desperately needs some help, and you need those targets in addition to XBone support to make the $2B worth it.

There's almost no better way to promote Windows Phone than making it the only way to play Minecraft on mobile. I suspect the PC version will be maintained as usual alongside this.

It'll probably run better, and we'll all end up playing it through desktop emulators.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Anyone have any facts on the way in which the game is played? How is the user base distributed over the many platforms? What % of users play modded Minecraft? Where has all the recent growth been? That to me will be a big indication of why Microsoft may want Mojang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Hitch posted:

Anyone have any facts on the way in which the game is played?
1. How is the user base distributed over the many platforms?
2. What % of users play modded Minecraft?
3. Where has all the recent growth been?
That to me will be a big indication of why Microsoft may want Mojang.

1. not sure on this one
2. a teeny tiny fraction
3. Xbox 360 & Mobile

• Locked thread