Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Still waiting for the GOTY of Arkham Origins, WB! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
People weren't kidding when they said Diablo 3 has been vastly improved. The journey of character progression through blowing up challenging monster packs and getting better and better gear has never been more fun.

The bounty system gets old pretty fast, but the randomized map system (Nephalem rifts) are always exciting to tackle.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Tezzeract posted:

People weren't kidding when they said Diablo 3 has been vastly improved. The journey of character progression through blowing up challenging monster packs and getting better and better gear has never been more fun.

The bounty system gets old pretty fast, but the randomized map system (Nephalem rifts) are always exciting to tackle.

Bounties are just a means for accumulating rift shards to do rifts and then greater rifts. Don't farm bounties for gear.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
huh, Heileen 1:Sail Away. Don't remember buying this.

...got it, simple anime lesbian love sim set on a Dutch slave ship featuring your female servant, your uncle's kept woman(prostitute) and some random male deckhand.

First steam game I've ever 100% though.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 10, 2014

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Bounties are just a means for accumulating rift shards to do rifts and then greater rifts. Don't farm bounties for gear.

Unless said gear is a Ring of Royal Grandeur.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Huzzah! posted:

Unless said gear is a Ring of Royal Grandeur.

I actually gave up on that ring but it looks like they buffed legendary drop chance from caches on the 3rd. Neat

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So I finally picked up Assassin's Creed 4 despite still being several games behind in the series. I'll probably hold off on the single player for a while, what interested most was the multiplayer mode. I haven't played it since Assassin's Creed 2 so I imagine they've refined the formula a bit. At least, I'm hoping so. Anyone have anything to about AC4 multiplayer?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Who cares, just play the single player already. :colbert: None of the other ones matter.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Manatee Cannon posted:

Who cares, just play the single player already. :colbert: None of the other ones matter.

I've already played this many Assassins Creeds, I see no reason to stop now. I'm still on Revelations technically.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So I finally picked up Assassin's Creed 4 despite still being several games behind in the series. I'll probably hold off on the single player for a while, what interested most was the multiplayer mode. I haven't played it since Assassin's Creed 2 so I imagine they've refined the formula a bit. At least, I'm hoping so. Anyone have anything to about AC4 multiplayer?

Play Wolf Pack before you touch Vs. You need a full suite of tricks and toys to take on the people who have been playing constantly since launch. Also Wolf Pack is probably the best thing to come out of AC multiplayer given that they refuse to enforce idiots in the Vs modes.

Once you're 50, or have all the toys you want, try some Vs. Or sooner, if you're up for it. Wanted is my personal preference, but most of the modes are good. You're looking for audacious but not outrageous kills. The longer you stay near your target before killing the better your multiplier. The more inventive each successive kill the better your points. If you're in a hide spot, near your target for a while and disguised, you get stupid amounts of points. You're going to run into people who just run around on roofs looking for kills like it's Call of Duty. These people will give you a lot of practice in losing pursuers. If your HUD lights up "Hey some rear end in a top hat is sprinting at you" just get out unless you're moments away from the perfect kill.

The Vs MP is a super interesting thing that I wish they'd do something to fix, but it's something everyone should try, since apparently Unity won't have it in favor of freeroaming and missions.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Assasins creed multiplayer is really bad no matter what game it is and I would not recommend it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Orv posted:

The Vs MP is a super interesting thing that I wish they'd do something to fix, but it's something everyone should try, since apparently Unity won't have it in favor of freeroaming and missions.

Whoa so you're saying that AC multiplayer as we know it will be dead after this? I guess I made the right move then.

big duck equals goose posted:

Assasins creed multiplayer is really bad no matter what game it is and I would not recommend it.

Nuh uh your face is really bad

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've already played this many Assassins Creeds, I see no reason to stop now. I'm still on Revelations technically.

Because Revelations isn't very good and AC3 is outright bad while Black Flag is fantastic?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Whoa so you're saying that AC multiplayer as we know it will be dead after this? I guess I made the right move then.

AC: Rogue, the last gen version will have the same MP as Rev/3/4, but beyond that who knows. They say they want to remake the MP as it stands now, so maybe the game after Unity will have a revamped MP mode, but as it stands yeah, 4 is the last. Ubisoft's big push this year is coop in SP-focused games, so we'll see where they are next year.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=f51f7970389211e49c9b69020e1003a0
escalon book 2 for whatever reason have fun :cheers:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're not constantly pirating your skull out on AC4 I dunno what to tell you

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Acquire Currency! posted:

If you're not constantly pirating your skull out on AC4 I dunno what to tell you
There's a series of story missions where you can no longer gently caress around the high seas lootin and pillaging and that's where I stopped playing :smith:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Because Revelations isn't very good and AC3 is outright bad while Black Flag is fantastic?

Whoa, AC3 is actually pretty good.

I remember reading how poo poo and buggy it was but it's been patched the poo poo out of now so a lot of the bugs (and reading some old patch notes it's comical how bad of a state the game released in) have been fixed.

If you've ever wanted to be Hawkeye from Last of the Mohicans where you go running, full tilt, into about a dozen dudes and just go balls out whirling tomahawk then it rules. Honestly the combat system is the best they've ever done (smoother than AC4).

Story is about as dumb as any other AC game (and really falls apart in places where you can tell they cut scenes out and jumbled a bunch of poo poo together).

Of course it doesn't look as good as AC4 and if you try playing the ship combat after AC4 you'll find it garbage.

But even so, it's worth giving it a shot!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
AC3 has a boring protagonist and an even more boring setting. Ezio is flamboyant and base-jumps off the Colosseum and Hagia Sophia, Connor speaks in a monotone and parkours through a set of drab, interchangeable colonial towns.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I want to buy one of the Ford Racing games and then play it while I wait for the other two to inevitably drop to $2 on sale.

Which one is the best? Please be as subjective and anecdotal as possible.

Also if anyone was considering Extreme Roads USA ever, thinking it might be a decent ETS2 style game, just don't. It's amateur in every possible way, and I still feel like I'm insulting amateurs.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Is Steamworld Dig any good?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you've ever played Motherload its basically that but yes, its pretty good for that kind of game. There's not a ton of replay in it but that just makes it a perfect bundle game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

I felt that the digging was too repetitive and that it could have used more Metroid-y type stuff. Loved the aesthetic though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Anonymous Robot posted:

it's decent. worth a buck if you already have the other two games.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I think I'm missing something with Scarlet Crush. I never had any problem getting motioninjoy to work, but with scarlet crush I can't seem to actually get any games to recognize that I have a controller plugged in, even though SC itself seems to recognize my controller, judging by the xinput controller tester.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Just want to pop in and say having a ton of fun with Hammerwatch co-op, if you have a buddy/buddies to play with get it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The ship combat stuff was the best part of AC3, and I assume the makers saw how awesome that was and decided to go pirate with AC4 purely because of it.

I haven't played AC4 yet, gonna wait till it's cheap. Somebody tell me it's got pretty much the same ship combat stuff as AC3. Honestly, that stuff demands its own game. I'm surprised there's not already a game where you captain a ship for the Queen's Navy and fight bucanneers.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

markgreyam posted:

I want to buy one of the Ford Racing games and then play it while I wait for the other two to inevitably drop to $2 on sale.

I'm not racist, but what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Be a little more discriminating, sir. Play the race segments of Sleepy Dogs, play Burnout Paradise, play Sega/Sonic All-Star Racing, play Next Car Game, play Trackmania. Those are all great. :glomp:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 10, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

markgreyam posted:

I misread this as Rob Ford Racing and it sounded fantastic while it lasted.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

PostNouveau posted:

The ship combat stuff was the best part of AC3, and I assume the makers saw how awesome that was and decided to go pirate with AC4 purely because of it.

I haven't played AC4 yet, gonna wait till it's cheap. Somebody tell me it's got pretty much the same ship combat stuff as AC3. Honestly, that stuff demands its own game. I'm surprised there's not already a game where you captain a ship for the Queen's Navy and fight bucanneers.
Yeah the combat is the more or less the same except now you get to sail in the loving open sea of the Carribean, you can just attack ships and loot them for booty either by sinking them or boarding them and killing the crew and you can just sail around to find tiny islands to explore or dive under water to explore wrecks and poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AC3 is quite good right up to the moment where they reveal the twist and you think,"Hey it'll be cool to play from this perspective!" only for them to remove the interesting protagonist and replace him with one who is the walking personification of drying paint.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Connor was only good in the Homestead side missions anyway, the second best part of AC3 after the naval battles.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I love looking at the games on sale and just sorting by lowest price to highest price. There are always some "gems" (in the reviews).

World Basketball Manager 2010 - $.99

quote:

World Basketball Manager (WBM) is a basketball strategy game. It uses the same game-play principles as most soccer management games do. Entering the game, the player creates his manager profile and he is hired as the general manager of a basketball club and his task is to improve the team’s performance by analyzing the facts and making the right decisions. He controls the various club departments funding (medical, training facilities, youth academy), transfers, contracts, training and of course when the match day comes, he will have to select the team lineup, create the most appropriate strategy and find the way to victory by countering the opposing manager’s plans.

As the season progresses, the manager will receive feedback from press, fans, players and administration. Also score that ranks him among the world's managers. And later on, job offers - even national teams!

So it's pretty much Football Manager, just done with a sport that doesn't work for it, not implemented very well, and the spelling of everything is horrific going by most of the reviews.

And then there is this review:

I love the internet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sober posted:

Connor was only good in the Homestead side missions anyway, the second best part of AC3 after the naval battles.

Thanks to the bonus objectives involving powder kegs and accidentally upgrading the ram, I really, really didn't like the AC3 naval battles. Without those, they would've been great.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Thanks to the bonus objectives involving powder kegs and accidentally upgrading the ram, I really, really didn't like the AC3 naval battles. Without those, they would've been great.
You're gonna have to remind me why that was a problem exactly. (Because those things are also present in AC4 and never were offensive to me in any way)

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Do you like repetitive grinding and incremental advances in grind efficiency and mobility through the game world, in the classic formula designed to create an illusory sense of achievement and change?

I do, so I like it well enough. Kind of glad I didn't spend more than a buck on it, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There weren't any bonus objectives involving powder kegs in Black Flag. I dunno what he means by accidentally upgrading the ram.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

PostNouveau posted:

This post just reminds me that they have never made a sequel to Sid Meier's Pirates!

I guess that's basically what AC4 is, but still.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sober posted:

You're gonna have to remind me why that was a problem exactly. (Because those things are also present in AC4 and never were offensive to me in any way)
(From memory) There's a naval mission where a bonus objective is to kill some ships by blowing up their weakspot, and upgrading the ship can make that harder rather than easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Drifter posted:

I'm not racist, but what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Be a little more discriminating, sir. Play the race segments of Sleepy Dogs, play Burnout Paradise, play Sega/Sonic All-Star Racing, play Next Car Game, play Trackmania. Those are all great. :glomp:

Every one of us crappy arcade racer fans just look the same to you, don't we?

• Locked thread