Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

SedanChair posted:

Take a look at what you got wrong, sputum

How dare white people be voted in through a democratic process. Those monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

on the left posted:

"People should be ashamed of being a racial minority in their neighborhood and try to live and work near others of their own race" --Self proclaimed "anti-racists" in TYOOL 2014
"Won't someone think of the white people in power?!"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
You could also ensure re-election until forever if you'd listen to the people and cease to be poo poo.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Guy just said that he was arrested and having seizure issues while in jail and no one did anything. The next shift came in and released him. He went to complain to an attorney, attorney said "file a complaint." He went back to file a complaint and they arrested him again.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Hopefully this will be the big case for the merger, which around here would basically be racial integration.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
*drops mic*

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That would be so awesome to hear.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

"This is white supremacy right here. This is white supremacy at this table."

Edit: Oh poo poo, white guy being loving awesome! This rant is one long :iceburn:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 10, 2014

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

You could also ensure re-election until forever if you'd listen to the people and cease to be poo poo.

If only 10% of the population cares to go out and vote in council elections, you only really need to listen to that 10%. Last council elections in Ferguson, only 1,500 out of 15,000 voted.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

on the left posted:

If only 10% of the population cares to go out and vote in council elections, you only really need to listen to that 10%. Last council elections in Ferguson, only 1,500 out of 15,000 voted.

"Disenfranchisement? What's that?"

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Cassandra Poe ‏@cassiepoe 1m
"In 3 lines I'm supposed to sum up all that's wrong? NOT ENOUGH PAPER. THIS IS ME SHAMING YOU. HOW DARE YOU." #fergusonCCM speaker.

Chris King ‏@chriskingstl 1m
White brother with grey soul patch talking mass incarceration and getting huge hollers from the crowd. #FergusonCCM

Mme. Librarian ‏@AmandaTintero 3m
Speaker: My question is: "How did YOU feel when you saw Mike Brown lying in the street?" #FergusonCCM

Leah Goldstein ‏@Leah_Goldstein 1m
Dad tells of son @ protest "'I wanna go home' Why? 'I don't want to get shot.' By who? 'The police.' I didn't teach him that." #FergusonCCM

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The city council has spent the entire hour sitting blank and expressionless. They are terrified to commit to anything or look like they are acknowledging any questions or comments.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

armoredgorilla posted:

The city council has spent the entire hour sitting blank and expressionlessconstipated. They are terrified to commit to anything or look like they are acknowledging any questions or comments.

Mild edit for comedy, but pretty much sums it up. They really want this whole thing to blow over so that Officer McChildmurderer can go back to work and just don't get it that the the status-quo is going to have to change.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Who What Now posted:

"Disenfranchisement? What's that?"

I kind of wonder, based on articles like this...

quote:

The report alleged that the Ferguson Municipal Court routinely began hearing cases 30 minutes before the scheduled start time, then locked the doors to the building five minutes after the official start. As a result, those who arrived late faced an additional charge for failing to appear. The Ferguson court also limited access to hearings to only defendants and lawyers. Earlier this summer, the presiding judge of the St. Louis County Circuit Court sent a letter urging municipal judges and cities to open their courts to the public.

The Ferguson Municipal Court disposed of 24,532 warrants and 12,018 cases in 2013, or about 3 warrants and 1.5 cases per household, according to the report.
Brendan Roediger, an assistant professor at the Saint Louis University School of Law who supervises a local civil advocacy clinic, said practices of the local court system are a major driver of Ferguson residents’ distrust of government and law enforcement. Roediger described a court system in Ferguson and select areas of St. Louis that function primarily as a revenue generator. “They don’t want to actually incarcerate people because it costs money, so they fine them,” he said. “It appears to be a blatant money grab.”

From his time representing clients in Ferguson, Roediger estimates the court -- which holds three sessions each month -- heard 200 to 300 cases per hour some days.
...whether or not something similar is taking place to discourage voting.

At least they don't have a vendetta against bicycles and pedestrians, I guess.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 10, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
They want money to fund their little kingdoms and provide for the noblemen. Everyone else is subject to taxation.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Evil_Greven posted:

I kind of wonder, based on articles like this...

...whether or not something similar is taking place to discourage voting.

At least they don't have a vendetta against bicycles and pedestrians, I guess.

are there even enough people in Ferguson for that bolded figure to be plausible?

Edit: 2-300 cases an hour would mean 1 in 100 residents were in court at a time on certain days.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 10, 2014

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Xandu posted:

are there even enough people in Ferguson for that bolded figure to be plausible?

Edit: 2-300 cases an hour would mean 1 in 100 residents were in court at a time on certain days.

As I recall, in 2013 there were 1500 arrest warrants issued in Ferguson for every 1000 people that lived there. So as it turns out, the number of people living there is not an actual barrier to the number of people you can drag into court.

EDIT: Actually in the quoted bit. So ya, I can believe it. Especially when you consider it could also be people who were passing through and are being forced to come back to deal with a ticket/fine they got on their way through.

ProfessorCurly fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 10, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Also several cases can be heard at once, and the defendant does not have to be present, eithet. So you can basically look at a folder of cases by yourself, then move on to the next 15 cases for that person.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vahakyla posted:

Also several cases can be heard at once, and the defendant does not have to be present, eithet. So you can basically look at a folder of cases by yourself, then move on to the next 15 cases for that person.

Yeah, this is where a lot of people (especially those who studied at the Hogwarts School of Admiralty Law) disconnect from reality.

Not every hearing involves speeches and arguments and a jazzy intro for the bailiff. If the prosecuting attorney is present but the defense is not because they were given a different time to appear, and the same is true for 15-20 other items before the bench involving the same city/county prosecutor's office, then it's going to be a pretty short hearing for all of them because it's a matter of taking attendance and disposing based on that. Which is really hosed up when you're straight up lying to people about when they should be in court, then locking the doors before that time to prevent them from appearing at the time you gave them. I don't even know how that part isn't a blatant violation of constitutional rights.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah, the hearing is literally the bailiff giving a stack of papers to the judge who then looks at them, signs poo poo and gives the stack back. In those two minutes, 23 cases were "heard", for example. This is standard even in non-corrupt courts.

There are even ways where you can tie a big bunch of cases together and only sign and write on the cover sheet, effectively mass-signing poo poo.
Court is a heck of a less dramatic than people think.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Vahakyla posted:

There are even ways where you can tie a big bunch of cases together and only sign and write on the cover sheet, effectively mass-signing poo poo.
Court is a heck of a less dramatic than people think.
They need to make a Law and Order spinoff where a guy is charged with disorderly conduct and public intoxication and it takes an entire season to resolve his case. Season 2 starts when he gets stopped for expired tags and is arrested on a bench warrant for not paying his fine from Season 1.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

on the left posted:

White people in all positions of power in a community that is like 90% black in an area where historically white people bossed blacks around?

How could you crazy liberals find anything wrong with that?!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
The worst sort of racism: The kind against white people.

(Note: It is also the only kind that easily be recognized, oddly)

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

on the left posted:

If you missed the point any more aggressively, the point could file assault charges.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Arthur Crackpot posted:

If you missed the point any more aggressively, the point could file assault charges.

I know that people are gunning pretty hard at the voter disenfranchisement angle, but people really don't give much of a gently caress about local elections and would be hard-pressed to tell you anything meaningful about the candidates. Things will continue through inertia, and the current council members will probably retain their jobs due to the fact that all of the new challengers who step up to the plate as a result of this incident will have fractured voting bases that are hard to mobilize and keep as voters. If only 1500 people voted in the last council election, a well-networked person could carry votes on extended personal networks alone.

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

Only a fool argues with a fool.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dudes! posted:

The fool can't be fooled again.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Dudes! posted:

So do you come to D&D to just get validation of your existing viewpoints? What a healthy worldview.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

on the left posted:

So do you come to D&D to just get validation of your existing viewpoints? What a healthy worldview.

Healthier than yours.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Imagine some skinhead strolling into a grocery store and acting all "SO DO Y'ALL JUST COME HERE TO GET VALIDATION FOR YOUR EXISTING VIEWPOINTS?"

Who knows what he's referring to - perhaps decent race relations, or maybe a preference for braeburn over red delicious. He's pissed that everyone is there to get validation.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

FAUXTON posted:

Imagine some skinhead strolling into a grocery store and acting all "SO DO Y'ALL JUST COME HERE TO GET VALIDATION FOR YOUR EXISTING VIEWPOINTS?"

Who knows what he's referring to - perhaps decent race relations, or maybe a preference for braeburn over red delicious. He's pissed that everyone is there to get validation.

A political debate forum isn't a grocery store. Don't be intentionally disingenuous.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

on the left posted:

If only 10% of the population cares to go out and vote in council elections, you only really need to listen to that 10%.

How small can that number get before you would stop supporting that claim? 5%? 1%?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

on the left posted:

You're not arguing for a viewpoint, though. You're just kind of saying, "nuh 'uh" when people bring up voter disenfranchisement. Holding elections on tons of different weekdays separate from each other is a great way to do exactly that. There's no rational basis for advocating that if you actually believe in democracy. It's really hard for a lot of working people to take time off work to vote. Many of them have to give up their income for that day or that time to do so. You have not posted a counter-argument to this beyond, "nuh 'uh." that I can see.

Yes, you did say, "Only 1500 people voted. Therefore interest is low!" However, that's a tautology. Your justification for the voter numbers is the numbers themselves. Can you point to any source, such as opinion polling, that would indicate the black voters of Ferguson don't care about their elected officials? Judging from the action on the ground and at that meeting, it would appear as though they care a lot.

As well, your statement about only listening to the 10% that vote is incredibly cynical, and I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you're not advocating for it. Do you disagree that good representatives should represent the views of their entire constituency, even people who didn't vote? The will of the voters can still be discerned outside of elections. Opinion polls on issues are used for this quite a lot.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 10, 2014

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

ErIog posted:

Yes, you did say, "Only 1500 people voted. Therefore interest is low!" However, that's a tautology. Your justification for the voter numbers is the numbers themselves. Can you point to any source, such as opinion polling, that would indicate the black voters of Ferguson don't care about their elected officials? Judging from the action on the ground and at that meeting, it would appear as though they care a lot.

As well, your statement about only listening to the 10% that vote is incredibly cynical, and I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you're not advocating for it. Do you disagree that good representatives should represent the views of their entire constituency, even people who didn't vote? The will of the voters can still be discerned outside of elections. Opinion polls on issues are used for this quite a lot.

I don't disagree that black people are extremely mad at the elected officials, I just think that they are not going to effectively vote their agenda into office for a variety of reasons. Not showing up to vote is one of them, but there are a whole bunch of other reasons why the council is basically shrugging their shoulders and ignoring the complaints of the community.

Politicians are going to by default ignore people who won't vote for them. If you want to see a pure example of this in action without confounding issues such as racism and disenfranchisement, watch any election where old people's interests are put up against the interests of college-aged people.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

A political debate forum isn't a grocery store. Don't be intentionally disingenuous.

Try harder.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

on the left posted:

I don't disagree that black people are extremely mad at the elected officials, I just think that they are not going to effectively vote their agenda into office for a variety of reasons. Not showing up to vote is one of them, but there are a whole bunch of other reasons why the council is basically shrugging their shoulders and ignoring the complaints of the community.

Politicians are going to by default ignore people who won't vote for them. If you want to see a pure example of this in action without confounding issues such as racism and disenfranchisement, watch any election where old people's interests are put up against the interests of college-aged people.

So are you just saying black people don't 'get' voting?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

on the left posted:

That doesn't make them not (racist) shitheads for doing so, though

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Black folks gonna have a hell of a turnout in Ferguson this year. They're gonna need a bigger ballot box

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bassguitarhero posted:

Black folks gonna have a hell of a turnout in Ferguson this year. They're gonna need a bigger ballot box

It won't mean a thing for the Ferguson city council though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I don't mean that in a snarky way, but uh seriously, check the election calendar.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/08/18/3472278/this-is-the-most-important-reform-ferguson-can-enact-to-prevent-another-standoff/

• Locked thread