Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Wanna read about Paul Robeson, what do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
I'm looking for something noirish, set in 20's - 60's America, with a (preferably an alcoholic or drug/gambling addicted) protagonist who is a bad person.

I know that most noir/hardboiled probably constitutes this, but I haven't read any before so I want something good to start with. I'd really prefer it if the protag is straight up a dick and motivated by all the wrong reasons with few redeeming qualities rather than a "conflicted, but ultimately doing it for the right reasons" kind of character.

e: doesn't have to be detective or anything either, could be paying off a debt or whatever which is why I mentioned drug or gambling addiction. Just someone doing violent or cynical things in a bleak, corrupt older setting for terrible reasons.

Crack fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 5, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If you've never read any noir, that almost always means you should start with The Maltese Falcon. In your case since you specify a straight-up dick, with essentially no redeeming qualities, you might want to try Red Harvest instead. Falcon is the better book but Sam Spade's morality is at least debatable, the Continental Op is just purely cold.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Harvest-Dashiell-Hammett/dp/0679722610

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

I read Norwegian Wood quite a long time ago but didn't feel particularly compelled to go any deeper. What would you recommend besides that one?

Norwegian Wood isn't really a good indication of the quality of Murakami's oeuvre. Murakami himself said he only really wrote it to break into the mainstream and not be pegged as a cult writer. If you like Mitchell, I would highly recommend either Kafka on the Shore or Hard-Boiled Wonderland & the End of the World.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Crack posted:

I'm looking for something noirish, set in 20's - 60's America, with a (preferably an alcoholic or drug/gambling addicted) protagonist who is a bad person.

I know that most noir/hardboiled probably constitutes this, but I haven't read any before so I want something good to start with. I'd really prefer it if the protag is straight up a dick and motivated by all the wrong reasons with few redeeming qualities rather than a "conflicted, but ultimately doing it for the right reasons" kind of character.

e: doesn't have to be detective or anything either, could be paying off a debt or whatever which is why I mentioned drug or gambling addiction. Just someone doing violent or cynical things in a bleak, corrupt older setting for terrible reasons.

The L.A. Quartet by James Ellroy is brilliant. Read them in order if you can, but if you only want to read one read L.A. Confidential. It is way better than the film, if you've seen that, and I speak as someone who thought the film was great.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Crack posted:

In addition to the LA Quartet, The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy gets recommended in this thread a lot. I just finished it recently and I think one of the two main detectives definitely fits your description. It's a bit slow to start but once it got going I burned through to the end.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

timp posted:

In addition to the LA Quartet, The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy gets recommended in this thread a lot. I just finished it recently and I think one of the two main detectives definitely fits your description. It's a bit slow to start but once it got going I burned through to the end.

The Black Dahlia is part of the LA Quartet.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Crack posted:

Grab anything by F. Scott Fitzgerald, though detectives aren't part of the main action. The Great Gatsby has a handful of dicks, though not the protagonist. Tender Is the Night is filled with even more dicks. Though the loose concept (falling down society's ladder) was done better in Edith Wharton's The House of Mirth, it was a different era and less dickish than Fitzgerald's The Beautiful and the Damned, which even more fits your request of motivated for the wrong reasons. Fitzgerald also has a lot of short stories that fit.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've been struck by an urge to grab a nice genre novel to read alongside some of my other books. One of my favorite books of all time is The Stand. What is another book that is similar to that (that isn't Swan Song)? Preferably no zombies. Thank you guys, this forum never steers me wrong.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

blue squares posted:

I've been struck by an urge to grab a nice genre novel to read alongside some of my other books. One of my favorite books of all time is The Stand. What is another book that is similar to that (that isn't Swan Song)? Preferably no zombies. Thank you guys, this forum never steers me wrong.

Read Earth Abides, it was a major influence on The Stand.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

From what I read about Earth Abides, the main character is a real rear end in a top hat and unlikeable. Does it have a lot of things going on? I'm having a hard time saying what I'm trying to say, but the best I can do is that I want something with tons of plot, things happening, etc.
I own and have not yet read Oryx and Crake, but I feel like that's a slower book than what I'm in the mood for.
Is Metro 2033 any good? I'm just looking for a rip-roaring genre novel, something exciting.

VVVV Thanks. I'm on my way to the bookstore now. I'll likely be there for an hour or two (I'm very indecisive with books and it's a long walk), so I gladly welcome any more suggestions.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 6, 2014

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

blue squares posted:

From what I read about Earth Abides, the main character is a real rear end in a top hat and unlikeable. Does it have a lot of things going on? I'm having a hard time saying what I'm trying to say, but the best I can do is that I want something with tons of plot, things happening, etc. I own and have not yet read Oryx and Crake, but I feel like that's a slower book than what I'm in the mood for.

No, that's not true, but neither is he a particularly strong personality- he's simply more of a clinical observer of the changes that occur in the face of catastrophe. It's definitely more of a slow, thought-provoking read than what you're looking for, though. There's plenty of PKD that might work, Simon Morden's Petrovich books, A Canticle for Liebowitz, The Windup Girl, maybe even Snow Crash...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

blue squares posted:

Dark Advent by Brian Hodge is good.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

blue squares posted:

The Passage by Justin Cronin is pretty good and is probably the one recent book that's been compared the most to The Stand. It does have vampires, but they're not the lovely type.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

savinhill posted:

The Passage by Justin Cronin is pretty good and is probably the one recent book that's been compared the most to The Stand. It does have vampires, but they're not the lovely type.

Maybe not, but the book sure is, although I guess it's a good call if you want to read something that's trying so hard to be The Stand.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Walking home now with Gone Away World. I grabbed all the books mentioned here but an employee swooped in and sold me on his recommendation

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

blue squares posted:

Walking home now with Gone Away World. I grabbed all the books mentioned here but an employee swooped in and sold me on his recommendation
Loooooved that book. Read it first!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Crack posted:

Definitely try The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain. Cain is generally good if hardboiled stories with unrepentant protagonists is your thing, but fair warning, his later output is kind of uneven. His first novel is really great, however, and it's a very fast-paced, breezy read.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

Maybe not, but the book sure is, although I guess it's a good call if you want to read something that's trying so hard to be The Stand.

It may have some issues, or not be to everyone's tastes, but it's far from lovely, especially for someone looking for a page-turner genre book similar to The Stand.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Crack posted:

Try Appointment in Samarra or BUtterfield 8 by John O'Hara

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Hat Thoughts posted:

Wanna read about Paul Robeson, what do

The Martin Duberman biography is pretty well done.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I just started reading books after a really long of, well, not reading them. But anyway, any recommendations for somewhere to go from the Magicians series by Lev Grossman? I really liked that it was a mix of fantasy/magic with realism, and it reminded me a lot of the YA I used to read but for a more adult audience. However, I was always into all sorts of 'high' fantasy as well (though I'm not sure I want to start on anything GRRM-style) so if anyone has any kind of suggestions whatsoever, that would be great.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Crack posted:

To add to the pile of recommendations you've already gotten: try Jim Thompson. His protagonists are almost always unredeemable shitstains who are teetering on the verge of a breakdown.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Any suggestions for books with the same sort of vibe as Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn or The Dinner by Herman Koch? Looking for unreliable narrators or books where the story isn't given away up-front, but meted out leaving you to piece things together...

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Crack posted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jim Thopmson yet. I think his work is the darkest of the noirs, and I especially love The Grifters, which is about a hosed up family of con artists. The movie was also fantastic.

tonytheshoes posted:

Any suggestions for books with the same sort of vibe as Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn or The Dinner by Herman Koch? Looking for unreliable narrators or books where the story isn't given away up-front, but meted out leaving you to piece things together...

Reconstructing Amelia is always touted as Gone Girl with a teen twist, I read it, it was enjoyable but not as good as Gone Girl - it definitely fits the bill for your slow reveal though so YMMV.

The Farm by Tom Rob Smith is DEFINITELY something you're looking for - it's got both the unreliable narrator and the slow reveal. Again, not as good as Gone Girl but I really enjoyed the mystery aspect of it and I felt like the plot was pretty seamless and it had some good twists and turns. The big reveal at the end made sense but was still a shocker.

I haven't read The Dinner yet but it's on my ereader, sounds like it's something I might have to move up my to read pile! I think you and I tend to read a lot of the same books.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Poutling posted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jim Thopmson yet. I think his work is the darkest of the noirs, and I especially love The Grifters, which is about a hosed up family of con artists. The movie was also fantastic.

Reconstructing Amelia is always touted as Gone Girl with a teen twist, I read it, it was enjoyable but not as good as Gone Girl - it definitely fits the bill for your slow reveal though so YMMV.

The Farm by Tom Rob Smith is DEFINITELY something you're looking for - it's got both the unreliable narrator and the slow reveal. Again, not as good as Gone Girl but I really enjoyed the mystery aspect of it and I felt like the plot was pretty seamless and it had some good twists and turns. The big reveal at the end made sense but was still a shocker.

I haven't read The Dinner yet but it's on my ereader, sounds like it's something I might have to move up my to read pile! I think you and I tend to read a lot of the same books.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check them out. Jim Thompson is indeed great--I just finished The Killer Inside Me on Sunday, and it was so good, but man, it left me feeling icky.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

tonytheshoes posted:

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I know I have recommended it before but it really is a fantastic novel.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I know I have recommended it before but it really is a fantastic novel.

Fun fact: that's actually the fourth time you have recommended that book since you started posting in this thread 6 months ago. I also think it doesn't really fit the request; it may have an unreliable narrator but it doesn't at all have the same vibe as either Gone Girl or The Dinner.

tonytheshoes, Joe Hill's Horns might fit the bill.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

elbow posted:

Fun fact: that's actually the fourth time you have recommended that book since you started posting in this thread 6 months ago. I also think it doesn't really fit the request; it may have an unreliable narrator but it doesn't at all have the same vibe as either Gone Girl or The Dinner.

I did read and enjoy Horns. Would Latro in the Mist by Gene Wolfe fit the bill? I read the Book of the New Sun stuff and it was more confusing than anything, but I still enjoyed it...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

elbow posted:

Well, that is embarrassing. I had no idea I was so over the top with this book. I'll stop.

It came to mind because of the slow reveal tony described.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 10, 2014

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

tonytheshoes posted:

I did read and enjoy Horns. Would Latro in the Mist by Gene Wolfe fit the bill? I read the Book of the New Sun stuff and it was more confusing than anything, but I still enjoyed it...

I don't really think so. It doesn't really have the grand reveal pay off that you're looking for although it's still an amazing series and totally worth a read. I enjoyed the Soldier series more than New Sun for what it's worth.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Anyone have any recommendations for a good modern romance? Preferably something available on the Kindle store. Non-binary characters is a plus, though not sure how feasible it is to find a story that's decently written that explores that.

VVV Fair enough! I'd like a LBGT story, if possible, set in an entirely modern world (or near future) that's generally fairly close to home. No celebrity stars or anything of the sort, just a story about people falling in love :)

Galick fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 11, 2014

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Galick posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good modern romance? Preferably something available on the Kindle store. Non-binary characters is a plus, though not sure how feasible it is to find a story that's decently written that explores that.

Can you narrow down your criteria a bit? The romance genre is humongous and really specialized to specific kinks and fandoms - I notice motorcycle clubs like Sons of Anarchy, and for some inexplicable reason, MMA fighters, are really popular at the moment.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Are there any writers who express disillusionment with American suburban living along the lines of Cheever and Yates?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

gatz posted:

Are there any writers who express disillusionment with American suburban living along the lines of Cheever and Yates?

John Updike's Rabbit novels certainly qualify. The quintessence of 50s/60s/70s suburban banality.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried searching the thread, but I couldn't find anything, (dumb bad search,) anyways I just finished "The Lord of The Rings" trilogy, I was wondering if there was anything similar that I might like. The Tolkien fantasy was great, and it never got really rapey like Game of Thrones.

E: I can't really explain what I liked about the lord of the rings, but I really pitied Smeagol, and thought the gay subplot between Sam and Frodo was well done.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I tried searching the thread, but I couldn't find anything, (dumb bad search,) anyways I just finished "The Lord of The Rings" trilogy, I was wondering if there was anything similar that I might like. The Tolkien fantasy was great, and it never got really rapey like Game of Thrones.

E: I can't really explain what I liked about the lord of the rings, but I really pitied Smeagol, and thought the gay subplot between Sam and Frodo was well done.

Producing imitation Tolkien has been a fantasy industry for oh, 50 years now. Tad Williams (the "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" trilogy) and David Eddings (the Belgariad series et al) do that sort of "adventuring party traveling through a big sprawling world on an epic quest" kind of thing. So does Terry Brooks, but I don't like him much myself -- The Sword of Shannara is a shameless ripoff of LOTR down to the plot details.

If you like gay characters in fantasy, you might enjoy Samuel Delany's Neveryon books, although those are more sword-and-sorcery than Tolkien-style epic fantasy.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

I would actually suggest a Sci-Fi classic: Dune. Just like LOTR, the story is told from the perspective of a lot of different characters. Both are quite epic tales with a lot of depth. Dune however shows the story from the perspective of "the bad guys" as well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(I was certain that post was a troll, I have to say.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

(I was certain that post was a troll, I have to say.)

which one?