Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Dj Meow Mix posted:

More varied characters, more grinding, extremely goofy attempt at a plot with some cool setpieces. I can't comment for if the PS4 actually manages the cooler ones with a decent frame rate though, other consoles struggled a bit.

PS4 has no framerate issues that I've noticed. There are a couple of missions where the AI bugs out, but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Maleketh posted:

PS4 has no framerate issues that I've noticed. There are a couple of missions where the AI bugs out, but that's about it.

I found one of those. Chi Bi level the AI likes to spin around in circles on one of the ramps leading to the shore.

Also, gently caress all y'all. Lu Meng is my boy. The greatest this land will ever know.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Drakenel posted:

I found one of those. Chi Bi level the AI likes to spin around in circles on one of the ramps leading to the shore.

That was one of them, though I managed to trick the AI and fix that one. Far worse was the Battle of Luo Castle (where you recruit Okuni). The game kept telling me to go to a certain garrison with Lianshi, which I would have liked to do, but Lianshi apparently felt that it was more worthwhile to stay where she was and kill and endless stream of mooks.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I just bought the bundle, do I actually have to download the original WO3 to use as base data, or can I just get the even-bigger WO3U file?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I'm going to correct myself and say the popin on WO3 Ultimate PS4 is getting pretty shameful; I'm only on chapter 3 and already I can't see enemy officers sometimes until they're smacking me in the face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there a fast way to raise bonds in Orochi 3? That seems like the most annoying thing when it comes to unlocking characters.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Use the tea house once it gets upgraded.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I had forgotten that WO3 was more like an older school DW game where an enemy officer could take off an entire energy bar with one move. On normal. :negative:

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Sakurazuka posted:

I had forgotten that WO3 was more like an older school DW game where an enemy officer could take off an entire energy bar with one move. On normal. :negative:

Himiko is my bane, and if I see her, I save the damned game, because it seems her musou one-shots me no matter what.

Also, I just simply had to buy the hairdryer big star weapon for Jia Xu.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Is there a fast way to raise bonds in Orochi 3? That seems like the most annoying thing when it comes to unlocking characters.

Moon Viewing, which you get for the Teahouse near the end of chapter 3, is the best way to do it.

Colgate posted:

Also, I just simply had to buy the hairdryer big star weapon for Jia Xu.

Hah, yeah. Most of the gag weapons are really dumb, but a few of them are pretty great. Hell if Sima Zhao doesn't look perfect running around beating dudes with a baseball bat.

EDIT: Aaaah holy poo poo these new weapon elements. Wind and Slay in one slot, you say? :stare:

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 5, 2014

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Think the best way is to Tea House (moon viewing the characters you need the relationships with) then take them all into Battle for Tong Gate Redux, go through the ships at the bottom, run past Nezha, then just beeline for Cao Pi and kill him.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
New to the series. Not to be super reductive but is this game really just hammering one button, occasionally swapping your weapon or have I missed something fundamental? I started playing DW8 last night and got through the first Wei mission. Is it going to open up a bit more?

Again, not trying to poo poo on the games

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Meliv posted:

New to the series. Not to be super reductive but is this game really just hammering one button, occasionally swapping your weapon or have I missed something fundamental? I started playing DW8 last night and got through the first Wei mission. Is it going to open up a bit more?

If you think the game is too simple, it ain't gonna get any better really.

If you want deep thoughtful gameplay mechanics, look elsewhere. This game is for people who revel in effortlessly hacking down legions of faceless dudes.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 7, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Meliv posted:

If you're just mashing the basic attack button with the occasional special you're not getting the most out of your character. There's a bunch of combos using (on the PS3, square and triangle) that are far better than the basic attack. You do also have 3 specials (Circle, Circle+R1 and circle in midair) per character. On harder difficulties you really do need to know the more advanced moves.

Are you on PC or console? Is it the "Complete" edition including XL or just the base game? XL has ambition mode which is a bit more open. Campaign missions do get somewhat more complex as they go too.

The games are mostly about being an ancient Chinese badass slaughtering their way through hordes though. That's just part of the charm.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Meliv posted:

The only difference between Warriors games and, say, Final Fight is that instead of one big long corridor you get a big square area with a 'go here' marker.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Meliv posted:

You can mash on attack to succeed, but the fun comes in in using your available weapons and combos to tear through things as efficiently as possible. You want to toss crowds in the air, knock people back, set them on fire, etc using the secondary attack button in your combos. I think it'll click when you find someone with a really good crowd control move. Zhou Tai has this big awesome slice move that usually takes out 50 or 60 dudes in one swing, for example, and you can just tear through crowds in seconds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also harder difficulties reward positioning and situational awareness more. It's a lot easier to get stunlocked or wrecked by a high-powered enemy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still wish I knew how the stage difficulty interacted with the difficulty level that you set. It seems to me that the stage difficulty influences the fun part of difficulty, i.e. how fast enemies attack and how many archers are firing arrows at you, while the difficulty you set mostly just changes enemy hp/damage. What that means is that the game gets more fun the more difficult stages you unlock and there isn't much of a way to speed that up unfortunately.

Mborg009
Sep 17, 2009
So I'm looking to get back into the series after a long break (last time I played DW4/SW1 were the most recent games). Would you guys recommend DW8: Xtreme Legends Complete or WO3U? I am kind of looking for something with a little more difficulty in it, and from what I have read the AI in Orochi seems to be more in line with that. Is that really true?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mborg009 posted:

So I'm looking to get back into the series after a long break (last time I played DW4/SW1 were the most recent games). Would you guys recommend DW8: Xtreme Legends Complete or WO3U? I am kind of looking for something with a little more difficulty in it, and from what I have read the AI in Orochi seems to be more in line with that. Is that really true?

I'd say Warriors Orochi 3. It's easier but it feels fresher (due to the wacky crossover shenanigans) and is absolutely brimming with content.

In terms of difficulty, Orochi 3 is pretty feast-or-famine. Your characters are less durable than they are in DW8 and enemies hit harder so it's a lot more possible to actually die on something below Chaos, especially if you're not careful. However your characters are also exceptionally more powerful so you can clear a lot more enemies or do powerful stunlock combos or such. If you die in Orochi 3, it's probably gonna be in a few seconds as you get overwhelmed and wrecked.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Mborg009 posted:

Orochi 3 Ultimate has more aggressive AI, but is also significantly easier to break without trying. I wouldn't say either game is significantly harder than the other.

Mborg009
Sep 17, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say Warriors Orochi 3. It's easier but it feels fresher (due to the wacky crossover shenanigans) and is absolutely brimming with content.

In terms of difficulty, Orochi 3 is pretty feast-or-famine. Your characters are less durable than they are in DW8 and enemies hit harder so it's a lot more possible to actually die on something below Chaos, especially if you're not careful. However your characters are also exceptionally more powerful so you can clear a lot more enemies or do powerful stunlock combos or such. If you die in Orochi 3, it's probably gonna be in a few seconds as you get overwhelmed and wrecked.

Maleketh posted:

Orochi 3 Ultimate has more aggressive AI, but is also significantly easier to break without trying. I wouldn't say either game is significantly harder than the other.

I like the sound of this, seems like Orochi 3 Ultimate is the way to go then. Thanks guys.

EDIT: I just noticed Sterk from the Arland games is in here, they somehow found a way to make an anime look even more anime

Mborg009 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 8, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone else playing WO3U on PS4 had a problem with the game not showing up in their trophy list at all? I still get trophies, I just can't look at the list.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone else playing WO3U on PS4 had a problem with the game not showing up in their trophy list at all? I still get trophies, I just can't look at the list.

Same with me, I'm just assuming its part of the same issues that the game had since launch. Bought it on tuesday and only yesterday did it actually start downloading.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looking at it, (trophies still show up in notifications) it only lists PS3 and Vita versions as having trophies. :downs:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Article about Dragon Quest Heroes. The note about the giant monster fights being "inspired" by Toukiden gets me all hyped up.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hi guys, like my new avatar? :awesome:

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
In WO3 Ultimate, in Chapter 1, there's a stage where you encounter Wang Yi, but don't recruit her. Do I encounter her later, or is there a way to recruit her there?

SirPhoebos posted:

It's not benevolent enough. Have you considered adding more benevolence?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Colgate posted:

In WO3 Ultimate, in Chapter 1, there's a stage where you encounter Wang Yi, but don't recruit her. Do I encounter her later, or is there a way to recruit her there?

You'll get to recruit her later. As long as you play every stage, you'll get everyone. Unlike in WO1, there aren't any recruitment objectives to fail that I know of. The only exception is Lu Bu, and the game drops enough hints that figuring out how to get him shouldn't be hard.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So, historically, what's the deal with the whole Jing province thing? It's an important strategic point, so it makes sense if Shu reneged on their agreement with Wu and allowed their alliance to collapse over it. However, the game seems to frame it as if it may have been Guan Yu acting independently of, or even in defiance of, Liu Bei's orders. Did he just stubbornly want his own fiefdom, or was it Shu's attempt to wash their hands of their own dishonesty, or was it just an angle added by the game? (I'm referring to the Wu campaign here, the Shu campaign kind of glosses over that angle.)

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
It also is played like that in the TV series. It was probably either Guan Yu refusing to give up his land to Wu (who is historically and fictionally held a lot of contempt for) or a plot by Zhuge Liang to keep the blame off of Liu Bei and constantly have an excuse.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also Guan Yu's pride to prove to his brother that he's more useful than Zhuge Liang possibly. Jealousy is a complete possibility, a shame Shu loses their generals to self destruction more often than Wu's loss through random magic.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

So, historically, what's the deal with the whole Jing province thing? It's an important strategic point, so it makes sense if Shu reneged on their agreement with Wu and allowed their alliance to collapse over it. However, the game seems to frame it as if it may have been Guan Yu acting independently of, or even in defiance of, Liu Bei's orders. Did he just stubbornly want his own fiefdom, or was it Shu's attempt to wash their hands of their own dishonesty, or was it just an angle added by the game? (I'm referring to the Wu campaign here, the Shu campaign kind of glosses over that angle.)

Belzac posted:

It also is played like that in the TV series. It was probably either Guan Yu refusing to give up his land to Wu (who is historically and fictionally held a lot of contempt for) or a plot by Zhuge Liang to keep the blame off of Liu Bei and constantly have an excuse.
Both the novel and the TV show do suggest (the latter moreso) that Guan Yu's at immediate fault, the moment of no-return being when he refused a marriage between his daughter (Yinping) and Sun Quan's daughter EDIT: son (gently caress everything under the sun) in chapter 73 ("How can a tiger's daughter marry with a dog's whelp?")... but this was essentially the culmination in a long-running contention between Shu and Wu over that the marriage of Liu Bei and Sun Shangxiang only suppressed.

Another factor was that Guan Yu had developed a massive arrogant streak since, as commander of the Shu forces in Jing, he'd been delegated not only an important strategic point but what was essentially the entire eastern front of Shu. Previously his command was in cooperation with Zhuge Liang, Zhang Fei, and Zhao Yun, but all three of them (and thereby the remaining VIPs of Shu outside of Yi province) went westward to reinforce Liu Bei when the latter's campaigning in Yi province stalled out with Pang Tong's death... and as one might imagine, the responsibility presumably got to his head.

There is at least one scene in the novel where it looks like both Zhuge Liang and Liu Bei try to pass on the blame to Guan Yu, with Liu Bei telling the Wu emissary -- not coincidentally, Zhuge Liang's brother -- that "when I have finished my conquest of Hanzhong, I will transfer Guan Yu to another post, and then I may be able to return Jingzhou." (Problem of course being that -- as Zhou Yu had pointed out back when Zhuge Liang made a similar promise years ago -- Liu Bei could never guarantee just when that was supposed to be...) Nevertheless, at one point Guan Yu outright told Zhuge Liang's brother from Wu that "When a leader is in the field, he receives no orders, not even those of his prince. Although you have brought letters from my brother, yet will I not yield the territories."

Speaking of Guan Yu letting his responsibility get to his head, it's no coincidence that Lu Xun gets a more prominent role in DW8, he played a role in the fall of Jing to Wu: when Guan Yu initially put up a defense against invasion by Lu Meng, Lu Xun advised Lu Meng to feign illness and resign from his post, Lu Xun becoming formal commander while Sun Quan gave Lu Meng 'actual' command of the invasion force. Cue Guan Yu dropping his guard and committing his forces against Fan Castle because he only knew of Lu Xun as some boy who even made a show of feigned submission with verbal flattery and gifts... oh, and up until the very end, he refused to believe rumors of Wu advances into Jing even as they piled up until finally Jingzhou City was reported taken.

Tae posted:

Also Guan Yu's pride to prove to his brother that he's more useful than Zhuge Liang possibly. Jealousy is a complete possibility, a shame Shu loses their generals to self destruction more often than Wu's loss through random magic.
The TV show has both him and Zhang Fei having jealous streaks with regards to Zhuge Liang, so at least there it's both... although they swear obedience to his orders as military advisor after Bowang Slope as in the novel, in the TV show the envy never really went away, culminating in their subplot during the marriage ploy, and Zhang Fei gets in on the "contempt for Wu" thing -- which at one point had him taking Liu Bei's place in a key scene, complete with vowing to kill Sun Quan to avenge a Wu emissary's family if Sun Quan had the emissary's family executed for his failure to get Jing back to Wu. :psyduck:

Chortles fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 11, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chortles posted:

the moment of no-return being when he refused a marriage between his daughter (Yinping) and Sun Quan's daughter in chapter 73 ("How can a tiger's daughter marry with a dog's whelp?")...

I guess Guan Yu wasn't the progressive type. :v:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
^^^^ Correct me if I'm wrong, but Like japan during similar times, Guy on guy was all the rage, but women having the choices and the fun? Pffft.

SirPhoebos posted:

It lacks a cross eyed Jiang Wei screaming BENEVOLENCE like a spaz.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Crossposting from the Wii U thread:

iastudent posted:

Good news: US is getting a limited edition of Hyrule Warriors.

Available exclusively at Nintendo World in NYC! :haw:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess Guan Yu wasn't the progressive type. :v:

Drakenel posted:

^^^^ Correct me if I'm wrong, but Like japan during similar times, Guy on guy was all the rage, but women having the choices and the fun? Pffft.
Either way, word got back of Guan Yu's refusal...

Sun Quan: What ruffianism! *starts plotting anew to conquer Jing*

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is so fun. :swoon: Always liked Dynasty Warriors. Beat up a thousand useless mooks and then their boss is just really fun. Latest one I played was Next, but this is way better. Less dumb touchscreen gimmicks too. Plus way more characters. Including a guy with what I can only describe as a lightsaber hand which is also the megabuster. Also it's fun seeing all the characters I only know from Pokemon Conquest start fighting a million demon zombie men.

I don't really like Gauntlet Mode very much so far though. Don't know if I'm missing something but it just seems that eventually the Miasma builds up too much and everything can kill me really easily and I can't drop the level quick enough again. Is there much you can only get there? Is it any easier to do once you've done more of the story and got stronger things? I'm only in Chapter 1 so far.

Also I hope the stage creation thing lets you have an army of Lu Bus fight an army of Lu Bus. I feel like if a custom stage thing in one of these games where you can't do that would be missing a trick or two.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barely touched Gauntlet mode but if it's like some the other Warriors games bonus modes you're kind of expected to start with dudes already levelled from the story mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Makes sense. It does seem like it'd be a bit more manageable with stronger characters. Wasn't sure if that was the intended thing or not. I'll stick to story mode for now then, thanks.