Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

It would obviously be localized as Phoenix goes to Germany :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Strange Quark posted:

Do AAI or AAI2 count?

Dear Capcom-sama, I bought Dual Destinies and Vs., now please for the love of gently caress just throw together a translation and put AAI2 on the eShop, you colossal fucknuts.

I think I liked the Edgeworth/Kay dynamic even more than Nick/Maya.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
You don't even need to get that far out of Los Angeles for it to become Japan Town. Half an hour south of downtown LA is Torrance, where everyone is Japanese and the murders are convoluted and insane.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm on the second witch trial, and I have to say that the Layton statue just being there is the best thing.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm on the second witch trial, and I have to say that the Layton statue just being there is the best thing.

I loving lost it when you see Luke and Espella pick up and turn the statue to pose alongside Phoenix when he points dramatically, I think that was the funniest thing I've seen in the entire AA series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

I loving lost it when you see Luke and Espella pick up and turn the statue to pose alongside Phoenix when he points dramatically, I think that was the funniest thing I've seen in the entire AA series.

I JUST got to that and cracked the hell up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
As always, Famitsu has spoiled a bunch of big TGS reveals in advance, including two new characters for Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Sherlock Holmes and an 8yo girl version of Watson. Yup.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

CuddlyZombie posted:

It would obviously be localized as Phoenix goes to Germany :colbert:

But then Jake Marshall and all his cowboy friends would be major characters and now they'll have to explain why Germany looks like the Wild West.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

As always, Famitsu has spoiled a bunch of big TGS reveals in advance, including two new characters for Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Sherlock Holmes and an 8yo girl version of Watson. Yup.

Actual Sherlock or just a stand-in? :allears:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Ah, yes, Sherlock Holmes, well known for his presence during the Meiji Restoration.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Sherlock or not, I think it would be an interesting take to have the detective be the rival character instead of the prosecutor.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Argue posted:

But then Jake Marshall and all his cowboy friends would be major characters and now they'll have to explain why Germany looks like the Wild West.

This sounds perfectly okay to me, as I find the idea of the Ace Attorney universe growing a continuously escalating geography snarl hilarious. Eventually every civilization on the planet ends up being offset a step or two, and Phoenix finds himself visiting a version of Japan full of sheep, kangaroos and rugged game hunters.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 9, 2014

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Knowing Level 5? Yeah, probably. They're pretty bad at some of that poo poo. Hino, the lead designer, stated for something else he wrote that he doesn't actually care to consider if things make sense or not and actually argues over his staff if it is important or not.

This explains literally everything about Rogue Galaxy.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

I hope that this means that Sherlock is Gumshoe's long lost ancestor somehow.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
What the dicks.
Download the game for ios, play through the first episode, works great, awesome.
Buy the rest of the episodes, start up Episode 2. Crashes during the cutscene. Everytime.
I know I have a lovely older device, but this is lame as balls. Any workarounds?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A little more info on Dai Gyakuten Saiban (click) - the new mechanic sounds fun.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Edit: Never mind, it's one of those silly "you can't so this until you've reset the testimony a set number of times things"

Gwen fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 9, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BFC posted:

I really really hope that Layton V Wright hasn't borked for me or something.

Chapter 2: So apparently in the witch trials you're supposed to have all of the witnesses faces on the touch screen or be able to question them during another witnesses' press? Because that option hasn't been mentioned or shown at all and I'm stuck at the point where Mary has a little surprise thinking session during Wordsmith's "sploosh" comment. Is this changed from the EU version or is my downloaded version just messed up?

You don't get that option yet.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
So I finally beat the game today. Most of the game was great and fun, but I'm echoing that the ending was pretty booty. It's not a good thing if something makes me say "are you loving with me" out loud and un-ironically.

For as hard as they tried to tell me that magic wasn't real, it still didn't explain how that pigeon turned into the Great Witch, or how the gate out of the city disappeared behind Layton without anyone noticing, or how a second fire dragon ate the Storyteller in front of everybody without damaging anything else and nobody bothered to address that.

But, without looking back, I'm sure most of my complaints and observations are old-hat in this thread by now.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

So I finally beat the game today. Most of the game was great and fun, but I'm echoing that the ending was pretty booty. It's not a good thing if something makes me say "are you loving with me" out loud and un-ironically.

For as hard as they tried to tell me that magic wasn't real, it still didn't explain how that pigeon turned into the Great Witch, or how the gate out of the city disappeared behind Layton without anyone noticing, or how a second fire dragon ate the Storyteller in front of everybody without damaging anything else and nobody bothered to address that.

But, without looking back, I'm sure most of my complaints and observations are old-hat in this thread by now.

You want an explanation of a magic trick in a Phoenix Wright game?

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Maple Leaf posted:

Not really, actually. The reaction to the ending is more muted than I'd expect so far. Personally I'm still trying to digest it... It's a very different sort of expectation and result than in the main AA games.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
It's very much a Professor Layton ending, not a Phoenix Wright ending. After so many Layton games, I've learned to just roll with the plot holes and explanations that don't actually make sense.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A reminder for people who didn't like the ending to PLvsPW, there's always AAI2 if you haven't played that yet.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah, the crux of any Layton game is that whatever weird bullshit is happening, the true explanation removes any supernatural elements while still being even more ridiculous than whatever was happening before.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

YggiDee posted:

Yeah, the crux of any Layton game is that whatever weird bullshit is happening, the true explanation removes any supernatural elements while still being even more ridiculous than whatever was happening before.

In Layton games, the explanations for why and how the supernatural/supercience stuff that were clearly going on are perfectly natural are MORE supernatural than the phenomena they try to explain.
For example, in Pandora's Box the main antagonist is a vampire, and the explanation on how he could pass as a bloodsucker and how he could pull the thing he did is more improbable than him simply having pointy canines and a penchant for the blood of fair maidens. Don't even get me started on Unwound Future's denouement.

:japan:
Sure, why not. Have those characters be true to canon and we're good. Modulo Watson's gender and age obviously..

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
What bothers me about the vs. ending is that it's not a very good trial. One thing I really enjoy about the Ace Attorney series is kind of putting together whatever really happened in my head while battling it out with the prosecutor... Here, neither was the last trial particularly tense, nor was the explanation something one could put together gradually from evidence --- it was a plot dump using trial mechanics....

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

mabels big day posted:

A reminder for people who didn't like the ending to PLvsPW, there's always AAI2 if you haven't played that yet.

How do I play AAI2 if I do not speak Japanese?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Note Block posted:

How do I play AAI2 if I do not speak Japanese?

A fan translation was finished a while ago.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/ace-attorney-investigation-2-prosecutors-path-cases-1-5-beta-release.367451/

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

I did not know about this! Thanks!

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

OddObserver posted:

What bothers me about the vs. ending is that it's not a very good trial. One thing I really enjoy about the Ace Attorney series is kind of putting together whatever really happened in my head while battling it out with the prosecutor... Here, neither was the last trial particularly tense, nor was the explanation something one could put together gradually from evidence --- it was a plot dump using trial mechanics....

Yes, exactly. I'm not opposed to a somewhat out-there explanation (as this thread warned me plenty of times), but if I didn't feel like I deduced it, then it ceases being an Ace Attorney game for me. Especially regarding the "antagonists". I'm not saying every AA game has to have a black-and-white bad guy, but neither the Storyteller nor Darklaw really hit the mark. The Storyteller is too all-powerful, even when the curtain is pulled back, and though he might have a tragic reason for his actions, he never comes across as sympathetic; merely as a man who has become so desperate about maintaining his daughter's innocence that he has lost sight of humanity and the ability to responsibly wield power. The game still tries to portray him as someone who just made a mistake, which doesn't gel with me in light of the game's events.

Darklaw is all over the place. First, she's way too obviously the villain, even moreso than the "I write stories about witches dying by being cast into the flames" guy, just because of her name, demeanor, and appearance in the English Turnabout. Next, when you actually get to face her, she's really boring to play against (Barhnam was too, but I would've expected something at least a little more strong from the "final" prosecutor (no Layton doesn't count, he's essentially an opponent you play as)). They didn't even bother to show her neck scrapes - like the developers thought she was less important than the killer of Apollo Justice's second case. Finally, she's suddenly very important in the backstory, and they ultimately try to make her (8 year old self) the ultimate cause of killing hundreds of people, but she doesn't really react to this, nor does it really seem to matter re: the mental state, unknowing tragedy, and guilt of her and Espella. She saves Espella from committing suicide and then, oh, okay, everyone's happy now? They both got over it when they got caught by that crane?

That leads to my other complaint, which is that the game's ending doesn't feel like a happy one to me; more melancholy. Espella/Darklaw did end up inadvertently killing dozens if not hundreds of people, and there's no resolution to this besides "it was a mistake, get over it" - a resolution that the two participants apparently got over once the final spell was cast. In main AA games, Edgeworth and Athena both also thought they'd killed people important to them as children - but both were later revealed to be incorrect, and while these incidents were tragic, the damage was somewhat comprehendible and limited, compared to an unmitigated slaughter of an entire town. There's nobody to resolve this with - only an eerie not-magic-but-might-as-well-be "silver bell"/"groundwater" excuse. Hell, they even leave the bell tower right where it was (???) - it could easily happen again!

The ending's implications actually seem actively more sinister than the mid-story's graphically intense witch burnings. The city's "special ink" is being taken offline at that point, but a powerful pharmaceutical corporation, in cooperation with the British government, has successfully found a way to control people's minds (to the point where they will ignore everything of a certain color), including repression of past memories. You can say all the participants (save our protagonists) consented in their previous "lives", but that starts getting ethically murky when you realize some people have been doing this for up to a decade, especially if they're children. Remember Greyearl? Remember how she tried to drown herself because she was a "witch"? She and Kira felt real fear from that threat, that they were actually going to die in a blazing inferno. And then, remember how people who "died" in this masquerade were essentially slave-labored into maintaining it?

Hell, the ending didn't really explain a whole lot of the beginning of the game, either. Why did Darklaw want Phoenix to get Espella guilty of assault? Wouldn't that just hinder her plan to take her back and try her as a witch (and presumably really murder her)? Why did she drag Phoenix and Maya in despite admitting it was an "accident"? How did she get out of the courthouse carrying their bodies? How did she steal Espella from Layton's office the night before?

Yeah, yeah, I know. Lot of words getting mad at video games. But gosh darn it, I thought there'd at least be some sort of bright spot in this game's ending, and I never got i- OH poo poo IT'S EDGEWORTH :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey Level-5, next time you want someone's gender to be flipped, don't make it insanely obvious from the instant they open their mouth the first time.

That had to have been the least surprising twist in an AA or Layton game, ever.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am not going to get them loving benching Barnham at the end. He easily has the most character and charisma out of all the characters they introduce and he has so many loving ties left to cover and they just lock him out. For an antagonist who they can't commit to as a villain.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Yes, exactly. I'm not opposed to a somewhat out-there explanation (as this thread warned me plenty of times), but if I didn't feel like I deduced it, then it ceases being an Ace Attorney game for me.

I think I've found your problem. Layton's name isn't first in the title for no reason; at the end of the day, PLvAA is a Layton game with Ace Attorney gameplay. It has a Layton plot with Layton twists*. It just has Ace Attorney music and cool trials.

*This is a series that really pulled (massive Lost/Unwound Future spoilers)a full recreation of London directly under London itself as a valid and sensible alternative to time travel. In comparison, vAA's plot is perfectly reasonable and believable.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 10, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

precision posted:

Hey Level-5, next time you want someone's gender to be flipped, don't make it insanely obvious from the instant they open their mouth the first time.

I'm guessing in the Japanese version, it was probably a switch from using a masculine pronoun to a feminine one. Persona 4 did something similar with localizing it to a voice pitch thing.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

I think I've found your problem. Layton's name isn't first in the title for no reason; at the end of the day, PLvAA is a Layton game with Ace Attorney gameplay. It has a Layton plot with Layton twists. It just has Ace Attorney music and cool trials.

But see, it's NOT a "cool trial" if there's no deduction. Most of my complaints in my post, yes, are probably due to me not knowing Layton's story style. But even all that could be forgiven if I had some sort of agency in figuring out the mystery. I didn't, it was the narrator who came and exposited for me to listen.

Also, the assertion that it's primarily a Layton game with AA elements seems new to me. In fact, I recall a few reviewers and posters saying the opposite.

Mennonites Revenge fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 10, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of voices, I like Maya's well enough but I can't help but feel it's another one of those times where a Japanese company fundamentally doesn't "get" what an English audience's expectations for how a character would sound are. Persona 3 and 4 do this too, by having characters that are alleged teenage girls who sound like 30 year old women.

Like, in a perfect world Maya would have been voiced by Anna Kendrick. Just the right amount of insane/ditzy/brilliant.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I actually really don't like Phoenix and Maya's voices. They're good voices, they're just completely unfitting of the characters. And I cannot tell you how much I hate the HANG ON voice clip. It's too nasally, and the cadence and tone of voice make it sound too playful. It's not confrontational like a good interjection should be.

Edit: Also, Phoenix's voice actor not being enough of a dork really takes the bite out of a few scenes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really hoped the long time it took to release meant they were recasting Nick and Maya's voices for America, but nope it's just the same problem with Layton games and America.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I just finished Layton vs. Wright. Game's great and I can't get over how much I love all of the music.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

It's very much a Professor Layton ending, not a Phoenix Wright ending. After so many Layton games, I've learned to just roll with the plot holes and explanations that don't actually make sense.
Yeah, this is 100% a Layton game that Phoenix just kind of accidentally wandered into (I mean Darklaw even says as much). I only played the first two Layton games on the DS but they play out exactly the way this one does: Layton finds himself in a strange, secluded village full of puzzle fetishists that conceals a dark secret, which is inevitably revealed to be a bunch of ridiculous, insane nonsense during a giant slow plot-dump at the end. I like the ending as a Layton ending, because I'm kind of into the absurdly complex and incredibly stupid twists that characterize Layton games and I mostly felt like the character beats worked in the context of all that bullshit. It's true that the game doesn't have a strong villain, and that would be a disappointment in an AA game, but that's really not something Layton does and I appreciate the "nobody is the bad guy" approach on its own merits.

Even though it's more a Layton game than an AA game, I think Layton v. Wright really does right by its AA half. They introduce some really awesome, creative new mechanics (I love using the magic system as evidence in court, and the multiple witness thing is really cool), and the actual cross-examinations are straightforward enough that things rarely feel unfair but still manage to feel rewarding because of how many steps are involved in unraveling them. I really like how the last case's cross-examinations force you to pry apart the testimony and find multiple angles of attack to progress, especially during the Vigilante sections where you're dealing with a downright comical number of witnesses.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 10, 2014

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Opposing Farce posted:

They introduce some really awesome, creative new mechanics (I love using the magic system as evidence in court, and the multiple witness thing is really cool), and the actual cross-examinations are straightforward enough that things rarely feel unfair but still manage to feel rewarding because of how many steps are involved in unraveling them. I really like how the last case's cross-examinations force you to pry apart the testimony and find multiple angles of attack to progress, especially during the Vigilante sections where you're dealing with a downright comical number of witnesses.

I think I'd like to play a full-fledged PW game with the multiple-witness mechanic, but where it's not immediately obvious when you need to question someone else while someone is talking, and where the option to point out contradicting testimonies is available any time.

Perhaps they could do this on Phoenix's future trip to Spain (Mars in the US localization), or in a game that takes place in actual Salem where every case involves solving a magic trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

precision posted:

You should tell this to every Japanese game developer.
I have never played a video game which had the "that character isn't a man/woman, they are actually a woman/man!" twist where it wasn't immediately obvious.

• Locked thread