Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Rust Martialis posted:

Greetings from Three of a Perfect Pair Camp 2014!

fuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyouFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOU

...I hope you had fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Rust Martialis posted:

Greetings from Three of a Perfect Pair Camp 2014!

Tell Alec I said hi!

I wish I had some semblance of musical talent so I could go to one of these things.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Charity singles are pretty dumb but here's one that has Steven Wilson and Kool Keith on it :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzqVjXrvetw

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Charity singles are pretty dumb but here's one that has Steven Wilson and Kool Keith on it :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzqVjXrvetw

I'm pretty okay with that, honestly.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I read about that a while ago and forgot about it, but that was bizarre

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Rollersnake posted:

Tell Alec I said hi!

I wish I had some semblance of musical talent so I could go to one of these things.

Alec the touch guitar player? He was my room-mate!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Rust Martialis posted:

Alec the touch guitar player? He was my room-mate!

Haha, yeah. I'd say "small world," but the American prog fan community has always seemed pretty small and close-knit.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

Haha, yeah. I'd say "small world," but the American prog fan community has always seemed pretty small and close-knit.

We're all just a few crafties away from each other.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Yeah but I get hugs from Marcus. :)

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMvMhCI7tOw This is quite nice. 11 minute prog ballad by some new English group. Another track on their album too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNg0yYX03Sc is great.

Apparently it's only available on iTunes though :(

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Pick your day up with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzrq425iGVg

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Nobody Interesting posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMvMhCI7tOw This is quite nice. 11 minute prog ballad by some new English group. Another track on their album too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNg0yYX03Sc is great.

Apparently it's only available on iTunes though :(

I keep wanting them to just get on with it and break into "Stairway to Heaven". You know they want to!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

tankadillo posted:

My favorite newer prog band is Phideaux. Are there any similar bands that people would recommend?

I also just discovered Gazpacho and got their Night album, which owns real hard. I love mellow prog.

I would be down with finding some newer Phideaux types. Their last three or four albums have all been superb. Gazpacho's back in my good graces with Demon.

As for mellow cuts, check out After Crying's Fanatic of Gadarai (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_xeL-Dibb4). That song always sets the mood.
Also, Riverside's Memories in my Head is a fantastic EP (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghh4Xc2OPGs). You might also like the song Second Life Syndrome off the album with the same title (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLhLKLLJOnA).

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
One of my favorite prog ballads has always been Gentle Giant - Memories of Old Days. It's easily one of their best songs for me, which is strange since I find The Missing Piece otherwise almost unlistenable.

Here's a live version of the song, which just further showcases how much raw loving talent these guys had. It's almost impeccable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvTmxuqtPvA

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Frazzbo posted:

I keep wanting them to just get on with it and break into "Stairway to Heaven". You know they want to!

It is a bit frustrating, the flute is playing the first few notes of the drat thing and then they quickly change tack, just in case they accidentally plagiarise.

They get over it quickly though and I think ultimately the whole track is really nice. If they do another album I'd expect it to be a little bit more original.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So it's page 666 over in the movie poster thread, and people are posting the usual array of devils and skeletons, but then I noticed this:

Anyone have any information on how THAT happened? The poster says 1970, but IMDB says it didn't come out until 1974, wikipedia doesn't have it listed at all, and I've just flat-out never heard of it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Well, there's a three-part "Devil's Triangle" song on In The Wake of Poseidon, so maybe that's where it comes from.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Allmusic review of in the wake of poseidon posted:

"The Devil's Triangle," which is essentially an unauthorized adaptation of "Mars, Bringer of War" from Gustav Holst's The Planets, was later used in an eerie Bermuda Triangle documentary of the same name.

some guy on imdb posted:

That in itself would be enough to give the always penny conscious Fripp a bellyache, but the producers of this TV special decided to use Crimson's "The Devil's Triangle" as the theme music for their movie. Mostly this amounts to the same 4 minutes or so of Mellotron heavy droning from the composition's middle segment -- we never hear it at full length, though the composition's (sic) flutey conclusion is used to good effect during the opening credits -- that most Crimsonites might be hard pressed to understand what the point of using it was. Other than cashing in on the title & using some of the music's atmospherics to add weightiness to cheaply staged model effects shots of a boat bobbing in some tank meant to represent the Caribbean Sea. And there are some anomalistic waftings of Mellotron-ish sounding noise/music here & there which just might be outtake reels from the "Poseidon" sessions, though nobody I have been able to ask seems to be able to identify them.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Where'd this gewgaw come from?

https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/465/6064/

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

That's actually a really cool idea, I put together a compilation like this a few years ago myself.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
So apparently coming out on Oct. 13th is a(nother) massive King Crimson boxset, featuring the Starless and the Bible Black period. Pre-order blurb from burningshed:

quote:

Autumn 1973: As King Crimson's second lengthy US tour of that year was coming to a close, a short series of UK concerts for the end of October, followed by a more extensive European tour in November was already planned. Three of these concerts Glasgow, Zurich and Amsterdam were recorded as full multi-track recordings, with material from the Amsterdam show being used as core material for the January 1974 recording of Starless And Bible Black.

From mid-March to the start of April, the band was on the road in Europe again, promoting the album with their final European concerts of the decade, prior to undertaking a further US tour. A number of these concerts were recorded on stereo reel to reel machines, fed directly from the signal as sent to the PA system on the night of the performance. These soundboards are often referred to as The Blue Tapes, named after the outer colour of the original tape boxes and are especially valued for both the quality of recording and performance.

Starless offers 18 CDs of live concert performances - 7 of them mixed from the 1973 multi-track tapes. A further 11 present the complete run of The Blue Tapes for the first time.

CDs of the ORTF Paris TV performance and the 2011 stereo mix of Starless And Bible Black also feature. Two DVD-A discs and two Blu-Ray discs contain concert and studio recordings in stereo, quadraphonic and full 5.1 surround sound - all in high-resolution audio.

Starless is presented in a 12" box with a comprehensive booklet featuring sleeve notes and photos aplenty, memorabilia, album and poster prints, and 3 bonus audio CDs.

Eighteen fuckin see dees. Jesus Christ. edit: btw it's 130 GBP lol

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Oh yeah, by the way, new Steven Wilson remix/remaster was announced a few days ago:

quote:

Steven Wilson HQ said:

‘Relayer’ is confirmed as the third release in the series of SW remixed Yes albums to be issued in 5.1 & new stereo high-resolution audio configuration. ‘Relayer’ was the band’s 7th studio album, released in 1974, and contains just 3 long pieces, including the ambitious 22 minute Gates of Delirium.

Mixed by Steven Wilson & released with the full approval of the band, ‘Relayer’ will be available in CD/DVD-A digipack & CD/Blu-Ray mini LP gatefold editions. These are available to pre-order now from Headphone Dust, to be released on 3rd November.

Both editions will also contain the original album mix in high-resolution & bonus audio material, full details of which will be announced shortly.

Restored artwork approved by Roger Dean & new sleevenotes by Sid Smith complete the package, the release of which coincides with the 40th anniversary of the album’s original late 1974 appearance.

I need this in my life, btw.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

This gives me hope that he will do Going For the One, which is the Yes album most in need of remixing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smekerman posted:

So apparently coming out on Oct. 13th is a(nother) massive King Crimson boxset, featuring the Starless and the Bible Black period.

It must be nearly 20 years ago now that The Great Deceiver boxset came out because I was in high school at the time and I remember saving for it and being crazy excited about it. And that was only four discs. Good stuff lots of interesting improvs and I still have the discs, now so scratched that they are barely playable.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Wasn't most of the live stuff for the Starless and Bible Black box set already included in Road to Red?

https://www.burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/multiproduct/313/3884/

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Prog Doctor posted:

Wasn't most of the live stuff for the Starless and Bible Black box set already included in Road to Red?

https://www.burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/multiproduct/313/3884/

Unless I am misreading something, Road to Red is material from their 1974 tour of the US, while the new boxset is material from some 1973 shows plus their 1974 tour of Europe.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Driving to Albany on Monday to see King Crimson. Invited to the Monday rehearsal and tickets to the Tuesday show. :) So stoked.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Is it just me or does it seem like the 73-74 had like infinity dates on it?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
At the KC dress rehearsal show, Robert *came out to say hi* after the show. People got to talk to him and shake his hand.

Then some idiots asked him to sign an album and he vanished.

Ended up going back with Pat to the lobby bar in the Hilton, I talked to Bill R. and Mel Collins, then Tony showed up, and Gavin wandered by. Gavin, Bill and Mel went off to a side area and people left them alone. I bought Jakko a drink, and he went off to join the side area crew. Pat and Tony stuck around chatting, Tony finally left for bed around midnight.

Spoke briefly to Mel about playing Red in camp; Bill was rather deprecatory about his role between Pat and Gavin but he played excellently.

Songlist (spoilers)

Mix of songs played; some post 1980 stuff, but no Belew lyrics were sung. Decode that as you will. Two highpoints were Starless and 21st Century Schizoid Man. Mel's sax work was great - soprano down to baritone. At one point, TWO flutes were being played on stage at the same time (Mel and Jakko).

Also played: One More Red Nightmare, Red, Larks (the good one, which is it?), I think they did Level 5 and Construkction of Light, um.... and they did an encore, and you could *see* Fripp playing. Not hiding behind stacks of amps.

No photos of the show, obviously.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
The inner knot Facebook page has the whole set list posted (SPOILERS):

Larks 1
Pictures of a city
Scarcity
Construkction
Red nightmare
Interlude
Hell hounds
Red
Letters
Level 5
Hells bells
Sailors tale
Light and day
Talking drum
Larks 2
Starless
Hoo doo
Schizoid

Prog Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 9, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Are concert setlists considered spoilers?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Are KC doing a live Bill Bruford cover (Hell's Bells)???

Iucounu fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 10, 2014

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

Are concert setlists considered spoilers?

I figured there are probably some who don't want to know what they're playing until they play it. And I couldn't figure out how to blackout the text on my phone.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I prefer to know setlists ahead of time so I can familiarize myself with the tracks I don't know as well. Here is a YouTube playlist I put together with most of the set if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfgb1cUcxBrl01UpYIQXsPPCuZeVglENM

Peanut Fantasies
Jun 19, 2004

Iucounu posted:

Are KC doing a live Bill Bruford cover (Hell's Bells)???

Confused me too. I think it's something new.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Could we get spoiler tags on any more set list updates? Pat mentioned they still had a ton of stuff they DIDN'T play so I'm excited to see what they will rotate in and out of the set.

Edit: Biff (one of the techs for Robert) confirmed the setlist will be rotated from night to night. Sweet deal!

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 10, 2014

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Noise Machine posted:

Could we get spoiler tags on any more set list updates? Pat mentioned they still had a ton of stuff they DIDN'T play so I'm excited to see what they will rotate in and out of the set.

Edit: Biff (one of the techs for Robert) confirmed the setlist will be rotated from night to night. Sweet deal!

At dress rehearsal Tony said they had a couple songs they didn't play. I'm guessing the setlist is also up to Robert.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

everybody ITT except me is now on a first name basis with the members of King Crimson :smith:

wish I could afford you fancy prog rock nerd camp

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Earwicker posted:

everybody ITT except me is now on a first name basis with the members of King Crimson :smith:

Some members are bigger on social media than others. Pat goes crazy on Instagram and actually replies back to comments. Tony's always had his blog and Jakko is pretty liberal about who he'll friend on facebook. Biff the tech is pretty easy going too and accepted my request fairly quickly.

I see Bill as sorta a direct link between Michael Giles and that era of rock-drumming to current times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Earwicker posted:

I bought Mel Collins (port) and Jakko (red wine) drinks. I never knew Mel played with Camel and Caravan. Bill wasn't too chatty and Gavin didn't mingle at all.
Robert was a no show