Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

SteveVizsla posted:

Several friends have shared this. Some people are responding in a way to continue what the image is saying, and some aren't reading and just responding with what they think it says.

I'm taking this too. I'm tempted to compress the poo poo out of it but it's too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

There is a lot of stupid going on here but...

How are they getting facts from the prep? Are they psychic? Can they commune with my dead guinea pig? Because I have questions.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

kinmik posted:

I'm taking this too. I'm tempted to compress the poo poo out of it but it's too good.

It compresses pretty well while still being readable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kinmik posted:

SystemLogoff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

Moonswamp
Feb 14, 2012

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
What a bunch of NAGRs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So what you're saying is we need detox centers to get people off of guns and return them to fully functioning people again?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Heroin and Methamphetamine used to be widely used medicines. Now they are illegal they are much rarer. The system works.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Did absolutely nobody notice their addictive, negative effects back then?

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

SystemLogoff posted:

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

karl fungus posted:

Heroin was marketed as a non-addictive Morphine replacement. Also it was used as a cough suppressant. Like the 1900 equivalent of NyQuil might have straight-up Heroin in it. Whoops.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

karl fungus posted:

They did, but it was better than nothing.

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

kill people burn shit fuck school

He's unemployed.
He's a "human secularist", which means he's a whiny liberal atheist times ten.
His back problems all come from being fat and sitting on his rear end for his whole life.

I guess these are all things to be thankful for.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

InediblePenguin posted:

yo could you explain this again but without trying so hard to be cute

Americans like shooting each other, yo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cuniculous posted:

Human secularist as opposed to, what, wolfkin secularist? :v:

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Human secularist as opposed to, what, wolfkin secularist? :v:

I think it's a term he made up himself. I'd look up an exact post about it, but he posts like 50 times a day and I'm not wading through all that bullshit.

It seems to mean that he thinks everyone in the world would hold hands and share a coke if it weren't for the ~*~evil republicans and Catholics~*~. He reposts dozens of things from conservative and religious facebook groups with rants about how they're all murderers and rapists and America has no empathy anymore.

He also seems to think Canada is some kind of paradise where everyone lives in harmony under their socialized medicare umbrella.

Cuniculous has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Sep 10, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What he means to say is "secular humanist". Depending on language and intellectual barriers, that is kinda close.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Cuniculous posted:

He's unemployed.
His back problems all come from being fat and sitting on his rear end for his whole life.

I guess these are all things to be thankful for.

Day five: I am thankful for my fedora collection.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Cuniculous posted:

I think it's a term he made up himself. I'd look up an exact post about it, but he posts like 50 times a day and I'm not wading through all that bullshit.

It seems to mean that he thinks everyone in the world would hold hands and share a coke if it weren't for the ~*~evil republicans and Catholics~*~. He reposts dozens of things from conservative and religious facebook groups with rants about how they're all murderers and rapists and America has no empathy anymore.

He also seems to think Canada is some kind of paradise where everyone lives in harmony under their socialized medicare umbrella.

Secular Humanism is a legit thing and it has been for more than a hundred years. The following people were/are Humanists: Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, Isaac Asimov, Richard Feynman, Buckminster Fuller, Bertrand Russell, Carl Sagan, Jonas Salk, George Takei, Mark Twain, Bill Nye, Charles Schultz.
Tragically, there are bad eggs too, since Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchins, Bill Maher, Penn Jillette, Joss Whedon, and Seth MacFarlane are also humanists.

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

Small Frozen Thing posted:

George Takei, Bill Nye, Richard Dawkins, Penn Jillette, Joss Whedon, and Seth MacFarlanes.
I can pretty much guarantee these are the only people on this list he knows anything about.

I went and looked up the other days of his thankfulness thing. He started running out of poo poo to be happy about fast

Also, his cover image.

lol University of Pheonix

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Of all the times to make a mistake... English isn't this person's first language, admittedly, but this timing is too good to pass up.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
This person just asked to join a facebook group I admin.

This person is also convinced Obama is a Muslim, and in league with ISIS.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Is this even slightly true, or "Just take my word for it"?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Takoluka posted:

Do you think that the Quran actually has a passage that says "anyone who is killed by a woman will go to hell"?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Takoluka posted:

No, you still go to Heavenistan, but your name has "(Killed by a girl, lol)" appended to it. No one really gives you poo poo over it, but you still have to add that when you are filling out Heavenistani government forms, so it's kind of a hassle that way.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Secular Humanism is a legit thing and it has been for more than a hundred years. The following people were/are Humanists: Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, Isaac Asimov, Richard Feynman, Buckminster Fuller, Bertrand Russell, Carl Sagan, Jonas Salk, George Takei, Mark Twain, Bill Nye, Charles Schultz.
Tragically, there are bad eggs too, since Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchins, Bill Maher, Penn Jillette, Joss Whedon, and Seth MacFarlane are also humanists.

I'm with you on the other guys, but why do you put Joss Whedon on the bad side? Note I'm not a superfan, but as far as I know he's mostly okay.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SpaceViking posted:

Do you think that the Quran actually has a passage that says "anyone who is killed by a woman will go to hell"?

No, I don't think that's even a possibility. That's why I asked if it was "even slightly true". I'm wondering if there's some passage that can basically be ridiculously misconstrued to say that, kinda like how people go "LEVITICUS SAYS NO GAYS".

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I thought the same thing a about Seth McFarland, does making a bad cartoon really put you on the same level as Richard Dawkins?

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I thought the same thing a about Seth McFarland, does making a bad cartoon really put you on the same level as Richard Dawkins?

I take it you didnt see "a millions way to die in the wild west", or what is it called?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
This is somethingawful. Everyone hates everything here.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

His lovely 'we saw your boobs' bit from the oscars 2013 is reason enough

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's hard for me to put someone who's obnoxiously correct on the same level as, say, Westboro or Operation Rescue or ISIS or whatever who are obnoxiously wrong.

Let's compare our "extremists".

One side beheads people, pickets soldiers' funerals, and blows up abortion clinics.

The other side is socially awkward and smug on the internet.

So I find the whole "Dawkins is just as bad as the religious fundamentalists!" kind of disingenuous.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Sep 10, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean people aren't ranking them, just using a nebulous descriptor (bad), so I don't see why everyone is getting huffy.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Dawkins has literally compared raising a child in a religious household to child molestation and constantly feels the need to tell the victims of non-violent rape that they shouldn't whine so much because it wasn't VIOLENT rape. He's pretty up there on the lovely scale, even if he's nowhere near ISIS levels.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean people aren't ranking them, just using a nebulous descriptor (bad), so I don't see why everyone is getting huffy.

Yeah, I guess I'm arguing against a straw man in this particular instance, but I have definitely seen people make the argument I was talking about regarding Dawkins many times.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Dawkins has literally compared raising a child in a religious household to child molestation and constantly feels the need to tell the victims of non-violent rape that they shouldn't whine so much because it wasn't VIOLENT rape. He's pretty up there on the lovely scale, even if he's nowhere near ISIS levels.

Not to defend him, but Dawkins was molested and raped as a child. I imagine his rather unpalatable views on the subject are a coping mechanism. If you were literally molested by a religious authority, it makes sense that in his mind "religion = molestation". Likewise, "I was raped but at least it wasn't horrible, violent rape so I can get over it" isn't a bad attitude to have. A poo poo thing to say to other victims but in his own misguided way he's trying to provide the solution that worked for him.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Imagined posted:

It's hard for me to put someone who's obnoxiously correct on the same level as, say, Westboro or Operation Rescue or ISIS or whatever who are obnoxiously wrong.

One side beheads people, pickets soldiers' funerals, and blows up abortion clinics.

The other side is socially awkward and smug on the internet.

So I find the whole "Dawkins is just as bad as the religious fundamentalists!" kind of disingenuous.

They're probably not talking about him being "obnoxiously correct" rather they're referring to the fact that he's said some really dumb and terrible stuff. Then usually just says something worse when he tries to explain what he meant.

I'm not religious by any stretch, but I don't see him as being much different from some fundamentalists because he also seems to enjoy shoving his beliefs down people's throats when really he has about the same amount of "proof" they do. Which is probably what most people are referring to rather than literally comparing him to something like ISIS.

Shbobdb posted:

Not to defend him, but Dawkins was molested and raped as a child. I imagine his rather unpalatable views on the subject are a coping mechanism. If you were literally molested by a religious authority, it makes sense that in his mind "religion = molestation". Likewise, "I was raped but at least it wasn't horrible, violent rape so I can get over it" isn't a bad attitude to have. A poo poo thing to say to other victims but in his own misguided way he's trying to provide the solution that worked for him.

But that's not what he said? Whatever the hell "mild pedophilia" is by his definition is apparently not harmful. :shrug:

This is what I meant by constant "foot in mouth" moments.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Sep 10, 2014

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The worst thing about that kind of statement is like... who asked him? Who cares what he thinks about rape? Why would he even say anything about it? I could understand making controversial statements if you were somehow involved in the question, or had some stake in something... but to just vomit it out there and make yourself look like an rear end in a top hat for no reason and no possible benefit to anyone? He's just got a large platform and a severe case of the condition many very intelligent and accomplished people (particularly men) acquire that they start to think that because they're intelligent and accomplished in one field, they're suddenly qualified or even obligated to make statements about every subject in every field. PHD-itis.

If he wants to talk about molecular biology or evolution I will listen all day long. He's done brilliant work in that field. He needs to learn to ask himself whether he's actually accomplishing anything by even making a statement about anything else.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Sep 10, 2014

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Imagined posted:

That's really only comparing the extreme from one side with the worst of the moderates that get media attention in Western countries on the other side, though. It's not all "let's drink craft microbrews and talk about astronomy" on the non-religious side. If you want to talk extreme, let's talk radical antitheists. They're thankfully often not up to action levels, but I've personally known a couple who want all religion to be abolished by international law, all religious buildings destroyed, and all religious leaders tried and executed for crimes against humanity. Knew one who wanted religious concentration camps, forceful deprogramming of all followers, summary execution of all clergy, public execution of all leaders, religious book burnings, and the like. Literal Nazi poo poo.

And to take it back to idiots on social media, I called out the Oatmeal guy for making the claim that there is no such thing as a dangerous atheist extremist once and got mobbed by his fans telling me that "those people aren't real atheists, just assholes". Ah, the True Scotsman - does he really exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Seth McFarlane helped make cosmos so he gets a pass from me

• Locked thread