Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

necrotic posted:

Yup, it's a crossbow:

Also, the guy who made the sock did not become legendary. What gives?

If they're possessed they don't get any skill boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

necrotic posted:

New artifact sock, "The Superior Prestige"! It has images made of iron on them, I didn't even know they could do that.

Having sand in your socks is already pretty annoying, but imagine having one with gems and bits of wood and metal on it. I mean I'm sure it looks real nice but maybe the creator didn't think this through.

(Never seen an artifact sock before, nice!)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

ghetto wormhole posted:

If they're possessed they don't get any skill boost.

Oh... that makes a little bit of sense at least.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

necrotic posted:

Yup, it's a crossbow

I'm not sure if you caught the jokes. :dong:

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I managed to generate a decent river + volcano spot. It's got copper, silver, gold, platinum, iron, flux, a few trees (which is plenty now that you get more than one log for an entire tree), and a bit of soil for farming (not a ton but hey that's what the river is for).

I generated this in whatever version of DF comes with the latest version of the Lazy Newb Pack. You might have to turn aquifers off to get it to generate properly, I don't know exactly how this works. Thanks to someone whose name I can't remember for the original world-gen parameters to get lots of volcanos without turning the world into a hellish wasteland everywhere.

code:
[WORLD_GEN]
	[TITLE:LAVA YOU VERY MUCH]
	[SEED:0wqqeg8mkQcasEWUuAk6]
	[HISTORY_SEED:EaiQu24C4OKG48KYIeSe]
	[NAME_SEED:C0EoYsKKEUi0mMuSEOGY]
	[CREATURE_SEED:egy22UU0w8oKCAaA4gIM]
	[DIM:65:65]
	[EMBARK_POINTS:1500]
	[END_YEAR:200]
	[BEAST_END_YEAR:100:80]
	[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
	[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
	[ELEVATION:1:400:102:102]
	[RAINFALL:0:100:51:51]
	[TEMPERATURE:25:75:51:51]
	[DRAINAGE:0:100:51:51]
	[VOLCANISM:0:100:51:51]
	[SAVAGERY:0:100:51:51]
	[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[POLE:NORTH_AND_OR_SOUTH]
	[MINERAL_SCARCITY:100]
	[MEGABEAST_CAP:4]
	[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:9]
	[TITAN_NUMBER:3]
	[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
	[DEMON_NUMBER:22]
	[NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:11]
	[BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:11]
	[VAMPIRE_NUMBER:11]
	[WEREBEAST_NUMBER:11]
	[SECRET_NUMBER:22]
	[REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:22]
	[DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:22]
	[EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:11]
	[EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:11]
	[GENERATE_DIVINE_MATERIALS:1]
	[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:6:63:127]
	[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:6:63:127]
	[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:1]
	[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:1]
	[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
	[VOLCANO_MIN:8]
	[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:66:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:66:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:264:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:528:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:528:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:528:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:528:0:0]
	[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
	[RIVER_MINS:25:25]
	[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
	[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
	[SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:50]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
	[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
	[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
	[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
	[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
	[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
	[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:6]
	[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:12]
	[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
	[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
	[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:10]
	[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
	[SITE_CAP:264]
	[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
	[ELEVATION_RANGES:528:1056:528]
	[RAIN_RANGES:264:528:264]
	[DRAINAGE_RANGES:264:528:264]
	[SAVAGERY_RANGES:264:528:264]
	[VOLCANISM_RANGES:264:528:264]

I'm so happy you kept the extremely stupid name I made up and got some iron on that map. :shobon:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah that was you, now I remember who it was. All thanks to dragon_pamcake for the volcano maps; that generation algorithm really works wonders. The main thing I'm trying to do with it now is get it to more reliably generate humans and elves; I find that most of the worlds are only dwarves and goblins. Lowering the minimum savagery seems to have helped increase the number of elves and reducing the number of megabeast caves and titans has reintroduced humans, but they are still fairly rare. I managed to get another couple of volcano/river maps since posting that one but they are usually in places with very little metal and no other civs nearby. Either that or they are super mountainous. I like the ones where the volcano just shoots straight up out of a flat plain.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

El Disco posted:

I'm not sure if you caught the jokes. :dong:

How embarrassing.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

ok so all the dwarves that show up to my fort are either novice or adequate in a bunch of skills. the exception are a bunch of speardwarves who seem to be really good at tracking for some reason. every single dwarf that shows up inevitably has about four pages worth of relatives if not more. tantrum spirals are alive and well in this fort

anyway this one fucker shows up

'talented'. 'competent'. sure buddy

born day 1 and you don't have any friends?

that's your standard diety, sure

ok go gently caress yourself with a rake

what settings do i need in order to set this guy on a permanent military patrol?

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Dreggon posted:

born day 1 and you don't have any friends?

what settings do i need in order to set this guy on a permanent military patrol?

And you wonder why he doesn't have any friends.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Appreciate this. I added the v0.40.11_graphics.ini to the right directory but it still doesn't recognize 40.11 as acceptable. Is there another .ini change I need to make?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Torish sounds pretty :black101:.

God of war and fortresses and brings a fiendish champion into the world to test them. Would be double cool if some adventurer killed his demon and took his place or something, Don't know if the game supports succession like that though.

Aug 24, 2011

actually i can't tell if this guy is a vampire or not but i plan to lock him and his buddy (who is not his buddy but shares his worship) in their own special room

i feel a bit like hitler actually

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Dwarf Fortress: I feel a bit like hitler actually

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Dreggon posted:

actually i can't tell if this guy is a vampire or not but i plan to lock him and his buddy (who is not his buddy but shares his worship) in their own special room

Lock him in a room and leave him there. If you lose all of your dwarves he'll still be alive and you can wait for a migration wave.

But that's a little cheaty, I'd send him wandering in the caverns.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

:siren: DFHack 40.11-r1 is out! Now to wait for the rest of the crap to catch up. While I'm posting, let's talk devlogs:

Toady One posted:

Mostly to do with prisoner trouble today.

Made caged/chained people request water/food with proper frequency
Made dwarves that have been grabbed for chaining/etc. cancel their jobs properly
Stopped certain events (like giving birth, resting or getting an artifact mood) from causing a working dwarf to suspend jobs for the whole fort
Stopped chained mothers from seeking wandering infants
Changed name of chaining/other jobs to include target instead of saying "animal" for everybody

Dang. That prisoner bug is oooooooold.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

scamtank posted:

Stopped chained mothers from seeking wandering infants

oh my god, that is the most :smith: bug

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dreggon posted:

If he gets to be starving then he isn't a vampire, necromancer or werebeast, so it is safe to free him. Or just let him die. We don't need that kind 'round here.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
An antisocial dwarf would be amazing, why are you trying to get rid of him? No partying bullshit, no friends to get upset about losing... that's great!

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Is this new?

At this price, I can't afford not to embark with it!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yes in two senses - those two came in with version 40, but I'm also a little surprised that they're available for embark like that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GenericOverusedName posted:

An antisocial dwarf would be amazing, why are you trying to get rid of him? No partying bullshit, no friends to get upset about losing... that's great!

The problem is that he might not be anti-social. He might be lying. Some baddies will come into your fort with a false name and false history. If you uncover what they really are the true history will be revealed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Is this new?

At this price, I can't afford not to embark with it!

Don't forget to bring the blood too.

Aug 24, 2011

just got another one of those probably-a-vampire migrants, except she's an accomplished armorsmith

i don't want to set it free on the fort, but i guess she gets a pass. might wall her in somewhere a bit nicer

e: and one with absolutely no relations whatsoever, not even deities

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 9, 2014

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
If does she turn out to be a vampire, you can wall her in and drop supplies from above, then have her drop the finished armor into a pit. Everyone wins! The vampire gets to live and work a fulfilling job, your dwarves don't get eaten, and you get a tireless armorsmith.

Aug 24, 2011

Spoggerific posted:

If does she turn out to be a vampire, you can wall her in and drop supplies from above, then have her drop the finished armor into a pit. Everyone wins! The vampire gets to live and work a fulfilling job, your dwarves don't get eaten, and you get a tireless armorsmith.

wouldn't the quality go down if they haven't done dwarfy stuff in a while?

also i assigned a bunch of them to a burrow (because there's like 6 dwarves that showed up all with these suspicious traits) and now they're just standing in place and not moving. maybe a meeting hall will get them moving

e: if any of them fall asleep or get hungry or thirsty that means they're safe right? i can let them out? once my mason stops being on break of course and if they starve oh well

e2: thanks to a strange mood clothier making a chausse i know that a necromancer is king of my civ. just to confirm, if this friendly, civ-aligned necromancer were arrive at my fort and pass by my refuse pile he would happily begin raising horrifying undead beasts?

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 9, 2014

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New devlog up:

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/?2014-09-08#2014-09-08

quote:

Made critters that join up with your adventurer stop traveling if they were on a journey
Made critters with entity-based army duties unwilling to join adventurers
Stopped critters joined with you from considering moving, joining armies and other issues
Made dwarves move/get moved to new hospital more quickly if old hospital is removed
Added ability to repeat, suspend and cancel jobs from unit/job lists

Aug 24, 2011

ok turns out every single one of the six dwarves i thought were vampires were actually just dwarves who like that one deity i decided to discriminate against

on the plus side, free great mason/engraver and accomplished armorsmith

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Holy crap, an actual UI improvement?

If only it applied to the Manager too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dreggon posted:

ok turns out every single one of the six dwarves i thought were vampires were actually just dwarves who like that one deity i decided to discriminate against

on the plus side, free great mason/engraver and accomplished armorsmith

They are still sounding like unpleasant people worshipping an evil god, but since a Necromancer is running your civ I guess that just means they are well-adapted?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 9, 2014

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Urist committed regicide recently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

my dad posted:

Vertical levels are a thing, why aren't you using them? :( Dorfs aren't too fat to climb stairs, and using the vertical lets you build some really cool stuff.

e: To clarify, these designs may be able to use vertical space, but they use it as a mere connector instead of a dimension of its own.

While I know 3d designs are more efficient, I like to make pretty forts so I dislike moving things across z levels if I can avoid it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is there such a thing as a graphical tileset for the old 2d dwarf fortress version 23_130_23a? My google-fu is failing me today. I've been re-reading boatmurdered and I have this strange urge to try playing that version but the ascii is impenetrable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does anyone have a drop-in overrides.txt and tileset setup that works with 40.11, maybe with Phoebus? I keep screwing up something and it is making me :argh:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dreggon posted:

wouldn't the quality go down if they haven't done dwarfy stuff in a while?

No. The big hurdle for vampires is booze. They can not eat or drink normal food. But if they are dwarfs, they still get the unhappy thought and slowdown for "haven't had a drink". Eventually a vampire works as well as dwarfs forced to subsist water -- not very well. Letting them drink blood doesn't help though, for vampires the no-booze slowdown is inevitable. Quality won't suffer though, just speed of production.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

No. The big hurdle for vampires is booze. They can not eat or drink normal food. But if they are dwarfs, they still get the unhappy thought and slowdown for "haven't had a drink". Eventually a vampire works as well as dwarfs forced to subsist water -- not very well. Letting them drink blood doesn't help though, for vampires the no-booze slowdown is inevitable. Quality won't suffer though, just speed of production.

could a vampire ever get so slow from being sober he cannot craft fast enough to shake off the (V. Rusty) on his skill?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Coolguye posted:

Regarding bedroom design, I probably a little biased because I designed it, but I'm still a fan of the decentralized living setup on the DF Wiki:

The operative problem that I found with a lot of the Greek Cross and high density designs is traffic. A lot of them lose a ton of time with dwarves shoving by eachother in 1 wide hallways and one up/down staircase. Dwarves also tend to get hungry/thirsty/tired in waves as well, so these traffic problems get worse as an entire shift of dwarves swarms a central facility.

This was pre-burrow when I designed it, but they work even better with burrows and it is a loving godsend with some of the internal threats you can face now. Having an area where a tight clutch of 26 dwarves can handle all their daily business means less wait time before they get back to work, and with proper smoothing and engraving even the little dining rooms can be brought up to pretty high value. Built in storage space means that nobody has to go too far to grab food or a drink after they wake up, built in barrack space means you can absorb immigrant waves or make in-burrow hospitals really easily, hell, there's even built-in jails for justice that you can use statues to contain, giving you a pre-planned way of handling troublemakers while providing happy thoughts for anyone who saunters by.

This doesn't obliterate the need for a properly massive and dwarfy dining hall, of course, but I have still yet to find something that provides more value for less space invested.

Looks like noise levels would be problematic if you care about that sort of thing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Met posted:

Looks like noise levels would be problematic if you care about that sort of thing.

Pretty sure only things like digging and chopping wood cause noise now. Once you've got everything built it shouldn't be a problem.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ghetto wormhole posted:

Pretty sure only things like digging and chopping wood cause noise now. Once you've got everything built it shouldn't be a problem.

Engraving, also. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Noise

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I imagine all these dwarves sleeping peacefully to the noises of tantrums, metals being smelted, parties being held, armour and weapons being forged, minecarts rolling around and being horrible disturbed left sleepless by the sound of a tree being chopped, or the tiny clink of the engraver's hammer.

"loving URIST KEEP IT DOWN WITH THAT GODDAMN TINY CHISEL"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

hooman posted:

I imagine all these dwarves sleeping peacefully to the noises of tantrums, metals being smelted, parties being held, armour and weapons being forged, minecarts rolling around and being horrible disturbed left sleepless by the sound of a tree being chopped, or the tiny clink of the engraver's hammer.

"loving URIST KEEP IT DOWN WITH THAT GODDAMN TINY CHISEL"

I guess considering the big stone walls, it sort of makes sense the only thing they can hear is someone literally hammering away on the opposite side of the wall. Doesn't explain trees falling but I guess dwarves hate natural noises so it disturbs them.