Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Ooh, nice, I wonder if this will open the door to further emulated Amiga games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Well, they seem to have hired or contracted a guy to assist with their emulator development, so I assume we will see more non-PC games in the future.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

AbstractNapper posted:

Such a great game from my childhood.

(Wasn't this the one with the implicit adult scene out of nowhere?)

Yup! It was a great game and flashing a little boob for puberty-addled brains was the cherry on the top.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, it was SOOO much better on Amiga than on DOS.

Cinemaware made some really great games for Amiga in that era. I remember a particularly fun Three Stooges game that was sort of board game format with QTEs long before anyone ever called them QTEs.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 9, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

"Defender of the Crown, a 1986 turn-based strategy classic, originally launched on the Commodore Amiga, is available in all it's pixelated glory on GOG.com, for $5.99!

We are happy to announce a new partnership with Cinemaware that will bring plenty of mouth-watering classics in their best available incarnations. Starting with Defender of the Crown, more classic titles from Cinemaware will release on GOG.com with both PC and emulated Commodore Amiga versions. Yes, the graphically superior, awesome, beautiful and shiny Amiga versions!"
--news post

Whoah, put on the brakes! Forget Defender of the Crown, are emulated Amiga games going to be a new thing? Are we going to get Bitmap Bros. and good Lemmings and Shadow of the Beast series???

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
gently caress those stupid games, where's Moonstone?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thompsons posted:

gently caress those stupid games, where's Moonstone?

Forget that mess, give me Ambermoon/Amberstar (and Albion, why not) then GOG can do whatever the hell it wants.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

Forget that mess, give me Ambermoon/Amberstar/Albion then GOG can do whatever the hell it wants.

I want to know what kind of infernal magicks it would take to get the Discworld games on GoG. Especially Discworld Noir as it's so hard to get working nowadays :argh:.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Amiga games on Gog.com? Sounds awesome! I was always fascinated by the system but don't really have the funds or space to fully commit to collecting old computers, and setting up an emulator and downloading the roms has always been too much :effort: for me, not to mention kinda illegal. So Gog having games from non-windows systems would be a huge plus.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Overwined posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo, it was SOOO much better on Amiga than on DOS.
Yeah, I've only ever played the DOS version (on CGA!) and I was quite impressed by it (at that time, a couple of decades ago).
The Amiga version looks way better.

According to the mobygames page, there are actually several versions of it, including a freeware browser version, and a remastered version for windows which was released in 2002:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/defender-of-the-crown/screenshots

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
80s_cover_art.png

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

ymgve posted:

Well, they seem to have hired or contracted a guy

Wow, I remember his Megadrive/Genesis emulator from like 1996 or 1997. He was/is so good at emulation. If he is doing their emulation then I have 100% faith in the quality of their emulated products.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Overwined posted:

Yup! It was a great game and flashing a little boob for puberty-addled brains was the cherry on the top.

When did this happen? I played Defender of the Crown on Amiga to death back in the day but never found anything like that. "Cast silhouettes of (probably naked) people on the wall" was about as bad as it got. Except for that ridiculous box art I guess.

Also wasn't Cinemaware offering all of its titles for free not too long ago? Not that I have any objections to throwing a little more money their way since the games were really good, especially if they get a good emulated Amiga version up and working, but if I'm remembering correctly I'd think most of the people interested in picking it up their stuff would already have it.

It's great that they're getting Amiga games in any event--there were a lot of really good ones that far surpassed their DOS counterparts in its heyday that I'd love to see on GOG. Like the Gold Box series. (oh who am I kidding, we'll never see that :smith:)

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Overwined posted:

One of the ads made a very strong impression on my teenaged self.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's great that they're getting Amiga games in any event--there were a lot of really good ones that far surpassed their DOS counterparts in its heyday that I'd love to see on GOG. Like the Gold Box series. (oh who am I kidding, we'll never see that :smith:)

That can only happen when Atari's exclusive right to publish D&D games expires, which, if ever, will happen in 2017 at the earliest.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Genpei Turtle posted:

When did this happen? I played Defender of the Crown on Amiga to death back in the day but never found anything like that. "Cast silhouettes of (probably naked) people on the wall" was about as bad as it got. Except for that ridiculous box art I guess.
It wasn't explicit in-game. And apparently not nearly as suggestive as my younger mind made it out to be.
There is an extra scene is some versions (eg. C64) where the maiden undresses (the view shows her back).
Also, the *shadows* animation is different in the DOS (and C64) version. And though the animation makes it clear that it's them holding hands, the freeze frame looked quite... tricky (again to a younger mind).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kk9UfFEYvM (at 2:57)

The "worse" the amiga version gets, as far as I can tell, is that the gown of the lady is see-through (you still only see a dark sexy sillouette in front of the fireplace).

And that concludes my (more effort than it's actullay worth) analysis of the "sex" scene in defender of the crown.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

"Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - 20th Anniversary Edition, is a truly exceptional blend of what classic and brand new adventure games have to offer. The 1993 award-winning original, one of the finest entries in master storyteller Jane Jensen's body of work, receives an astounding remake with high-res hand-crafted backgrounds, detailed 3D character models, re-orchestrated music, and additional in-game content. $16.99 in the US until September 29, when the game is scheduled for release."

Apparently, this is a thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

"Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - 20th Anniversary Edition, is a truly exceptional blend of what classic and brand new adventure games have to offer. The 1993 award-winning original, one of the finest entries in master storyteller Jane Jensen's body of work, receives an astounding remake with high-res hand-crafted backgrounds, detailed 3D character models, re-orchestrated music, and additional in-game content. $16.99 in the US until September 29, when the game is scheduled for release."

It was announced a good while back, and almost immediately forgotten beyond slight eyebrow-raising that Activision were playing ball (something a bit less weird now with the Sierra revival).

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I've just realized something - weren't Amiga releases one of GOG.com's originally planned features back when it first started?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

The character models aren't that great, but I've got nothing but love for pre-rendered backgrounds :allears:.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
The Amiga stuff is interesting, as I'd assumed the fact the ROMs are still under copyright (and actively chased up by the holders) was the stumbling block. Perhaps they're using the AROS clone rom, or DotC is one of the really early games that totally bypass the OS right from the start.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Prenton posted:

The Amiga stuff is interesting, as I'd assumed the fact the ROMs are still under copyright (and actively chased up by the holders) was the stumbling block. Perhaps they're using the AROS clone rom, or DotC is one of the really early games that totally bypass the OS right from the start.

There is a Kickstart 1.2 ROM inside the game executable at least. Also two ADF disk images, though I haven't tried to get them running on another emulator to check if the copy protection is removed.

edit: Seems to be the AROS replacement ROM. Game also seems to work fine in WinUAE, if you want more freedom in your emulation.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 10, 2014

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

http://www.gog.com/promo/6th_birthday_promo_year_three_100914

Year three now

Standouts include

Age of Wonders, Witcher 1 & 2, Planescape Torment, Alpha Centauri, Rollercoast Tycoon and the Rayman games.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

"Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - 20th Anniversary Edition, is a truly exceptional blend of what classic and brand new adventure games have to offer."

This looks good. I might have to play this - I own the original but have not played it yet. Been a 'want to' since the 90s...

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BadAstronaut posted:

This looks good. I might have to play this - I own the original but have not played it yet. Been a 'want to' since the 90s...

There's been some discussion in the adventure games thread about it and also RPS did a writeup on it.

Basically it's a barely-adequately done remake. The new art and voiceovers are uninspired and none of the gameplay has been updated at all.
There's essentially no reason to pay the extra $11 over the original version.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are the Earth 2150 games any good?

A bit late to reply, but they're pretty good, particularly for the time they were published in. It's sad that they never were all that popular, despite having some amazing features I wish RTS games would try to implement today. As for the gameplay, imagine something halfway between C&C and Supreme Commander.

Here's an LP of them if you want to know more to help you decide: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523938

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

macnbc posted:

There's been some discussion in the adventure games thread about it and also RPS did a writeup on it.

Basically it's a barely-adequately done remake. The new art and voiceovers are uninspired and none of the gameplay has been updated at all.

Thanks for the heads up - I won't bother then. Seeing as I own the original on GOG, that's the one I am gonna play.
This seems like a good game for a tablet, actually... playing it on DOSBox on my 10" Nexus might be worth a try.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

macnbc posted:

No Tim Curry, no sale.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Apparently the Amiga emulator is provided by Cinemaware, so I'd be very surprised if non-Cinemaware Amiga stuff ever got added - GOG clearly don't believe it'd be worth the cost of system ROM licensing.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I guess it was time I got the Zork Anthology and the original Moto Racer.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

The Kins posted:

Apparently the Amiga emulator is provided by Cinemaware, so I'd be very surprised if non-Cinemaware Amiga stuff ever got added - GOG clearly don't believe it'd be worth the cost of system ROM licensing.

Where did you see this? Not doubting it, but so far the only thing I've seen is that the emulator is made by the guy I posted earlier and his company, Reptilia Design, but didn't see anything about whether it was GoG or Cinemaware who contracted him.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ymgve posted:

Where did you see this? Not doubting it, but so far the only thing I've seen is that the emulator is made by the guy I posted earlier and his company, Reptilia Design, but didn't see anything about whether it was GoG or Cinemaware who contracted him.
From the GOG news post comments thread, via a Cinemaware e-mail reply that was confirmed by a GOG rep's post:

quote:

RockLobster is an emulator developed internally, some of our programmers are really experienced Amiga/Motorola 68000 engineers. It was the only way we could find to launch our classic games within a self-contained environment. This emulator keeps getting improved and we will of course release updates to our emulated games being sold as we improve on it!

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
There's nothing stopping Cinemaware from licensing their emulator to GoG though. I hope that happens and we see more Amiga stuff. I never had access to an Amiga growing up so that stuff is all new.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition is up for $3.99.I had a couple of questions about NWN1.

I know that the NWN main campaign isn't that impressive, but what about the expansion packs? I recall hearing that they weren't too bad.

Second, how does Neverwinter Nights play compared to Baldur's Gate? The reason I ask is because BG uses D&D 2nd edition rules, while NWN uses 3rd edition.

Last question: One of the reasons I wanted to pick the game up was to mess around with the mod tools. Out of curiosity, how easy/hard are they to use? I've read that making maps is pretty simple, but to do anything more advanced, you need to know C++.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

General Emergency posted:

There's nothing stopping Cinemaware from licensing their emulator to GoG though. I hope that happens and we see more Amiga stuff. I never had access to an Amiga growing up so that stuff is all new.

Maybe they could talk with the Amiga Forever guys, since those guys seem to distribute original Kickstarter ROMs and also got a bunch of commercial games.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Max Wilco posted:

I know that the NWN main campaign isn't that impressive, but what about the expansion packs? I recall hearing that they weren't too bad.

You'll indeed have a better time with Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark than the original campaign. SoU is designed for new characters and HotU for level 15+ characters so you can just import your PC between them after you are done with the former.

Outside of the ruleset you have a limited party compared to BG (one companion in SoU, two in HotU) so that's something to consider when creating your PC.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
SoU is better fare than the original campaign, but it still pales compared to HotU, which is easily the best of the three campaigns. Play SoU, import character into HotU (which is Canon, actually- your HotU character is your SoU character much later).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Also, it uses a version of 3E slightly modified to work better for computer games so it isn't quite as bad P&P 3E.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Max Wilco posted:

Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition is up for $3.99.I had a couple of questions about NWN1.

Second, how does Neverwinter Nights play compared to Baldur's Gate? The reason I ask is because BG uses D&D 2nd edition rules, while NWN uses 3rd edition.

Last question: One of the reasons I wanted to pick the game up was to mess around with the mod tools. Out of curiosity, how easy/hard are they to use? I've read that making maps is pretty simple, but to do anything more advanced, you need to know C++.

You only control one character in NWN 1, your companions are AI controlled, but yeah, if you're interested just skip the main campaign and start in Shadows of Undertide. We used to have a Neverwinter Nights thread that could point you towards good mods, but I think it's fallen into the archives.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

ymgve posted:

Maybe they could talk with the Amiga Forever guys, since those guys seem to distribute original Kickstarter ROMs and also got a bunch of commercial games.

We don't know how much they'd charge for distribution of the ROMs, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Amiga games on GOG? I hope they get Deuteros/Millennium, saw a failed LP of one of them the LP subforum before I had a account and it looked interesting.