Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Who are these people that have been complaining about the iphone being too small anyway? I've never met any but I guess they write some cool blogs or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
[quote="hotsauce" post="434680815"
If you think, for a second, that you can scan in your credit cards then lock them up in your house and pay for everything using your iPhone 6/6huge in a few weeks, you are dead, dead wrong.
[/quote]

Who in this thread is that "you"? Nobody here has expressed any such sentiment. Your crazy hipster-rage fantasy is all in your head.

That said, despite what you think it will probably roll out fairly quickly. Visa and MasterCard have both committed to completing the U.S. switchover to chip+pin by October 2015 - basically a year from now. That means that within the next 12 months, everyone who takes payment by credit card will have to upgrade their systems (if they haven't already) and retrain their cashiers anyway. Hopefully we can leave our cards at home within the next 18 months or so; fingers crossed...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Josh Lyman posted:

Is your preference that Apple doesn't make a 5.5" phone at all? The criticism of the lack of a phablet-sized phone would never end.

I wouldn't care what they make as long as they continue making one the size of the 5s.

I would still laugh at how awful largephones are though. It's just as dumb when Apple makes one as when Samsung does it.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 10, 2014

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

Visa and MasterCard have both committed to completing the U.S. switchover to chip+pin by October 2015
Wow wow, back it up, back it up, beep beep beep... How are you paying with cards these days? Magnetic stripe and signature?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Choadmaster posted:

That said, despite what you think it will probably roll out fairly quickly. Visa and MasterCard have both committed to completing the U.S. switchover to chip+pin by October 2015 - basically a year from now.

As far as I'm aware, the US is only moving to Chip+Sign, not Chip+PIN.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ragingsheep posted:

:psyduck: But why?

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

The apple watch really looks like it was designed by committee. 2 different ways of controlling the device, a bunch of super ugly emoticons and disney icons. 1000 bands and customization options.

But the worst was the moment that Tim Cook was standing up there after the stream failure, lifting his hands in the air as a victory thing and sending a loving U2 album to my iTunes library when I realized that Apple is a company run by old people.

As soon as you don't need an iPhone anymore I'd get me a smart watch but looks like it will take 5 more years of iterations.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Xabi posted:

Wow wow, back it up, back it up, beep beep beep... How are you paying with cards these days? Magnetic stripe and signature?

Yes. It's ridiculous.

Re: hugephone. I've had huge phones. It's great to have a large screen to play games, watch Netflix etc. It sucks for everything else. Doesn't fit in most pockets, can't use with one hand and looks goofy as hell when you're talking to people. I'm still sitting here not believing that they abandoned the old form factor, knowing full well that iOS was literally designed to be used with one hand, with navigation buttons on the top of the screen. That one handed mode is ridiculous too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Andrast posted:

He probably wants apple to make a new phone that is not larger than the 5s.

BGrifter posted:

I wouldn't care what they make as long as they continue making one the size of the 5s.

I would still laugh at how awful largephones are though. It's just as dumb when Apple makes one as when Samsung does it.
I certainly wouldn't mind a 6 Mini at 4", but there are literally no new flagship phones from Android at 4", and there haven't been for some time. Along with the 5.5" version, this is unfortunately a result of market forces driving product design.

Xabi posted:

Who are these people that have been complaining about the iphone being too small anyway? I've never met any but I guess they write some cool blogs or something?
I know a couple people in real life that want a bigger screen than 4", but you're right that it seems more like people complaining on the internet. Unfortunately, they aren't just "people on the internet". They drive editorial pieces on tech sites, which drive coverage by mainstream news outlets, which drives the stock price.

It's a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. And we've been experiencing damned if they don't for a couple years now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My iPhone 5 was replaced a week and a half ago when the Genius Bar screwed up a battery replacement, and I'm off contract and eligible for an upgrade, but I really wonder if I should wait for the 6S. The 6's 4.7" screen would be nice from an internet browsing standpoint, and the camera would be a nice, especially the slowmo, though the optics appear to be the same as the 5S, which is disappointing. For real low light performance, it looks like I'll be waiting for the 6S. But I don't care about TouchID, NFC, or 3D gaming. It really makes me wonder about waiting.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Ragingsheep posted:

Not what I've read: http://www.businessinsider.com/chip-and-pin-credit-card-changeover-in-2015-2014-2

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm surprised they didn't emphasize the seamless design of the iPhone 6 in the keynote. That's something that the blogosphere could have latched onto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FglqN1jd1tM

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Australia last month phased out signature. You can now only pay via chip+pin, swipe+pin or touch. Goddamn, US, get your poo poo together.

Also, gently caress the huge iphones, I'm so glad I got a 64GB 5S. I have too much music though and would love 128GB.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 10, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Xabi posted:

I think so. Christ, we've had C&P for ten years and the only time I've ever needed to sign was for cashback. The positive side is, however, that with C&P being adopted so late in the US, most of the terminals may be contactless anyway.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

So how long until I can get an iPhone nano that's 3.5 inches again. I've hated my iPhone 5 since day 1.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

From the WSJ article that BI sourced:

Corrections & Amplifications: The new EMV credit card system the U.S. is set to migrate to by October, 2015 will use microchip-enabled credit cards, but still allows customers to sign for their payments. Banks can choose to issue cards that require a PIN number instead of a signature, but the switch to PINs will not be required in October 2015 as reported in an earlier version of this article.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Actually thinking about it, I'm interested in how far Apple's NFC implementation is going to go. My gut feeling is that it's the secure enclave in the A8 chip, and not the NFC chip itself, is why banks were so happy to join up to Apple Pay.

Also, with Pay being implemented into Passbook out of the gate, I wouldn't be surprised if 8.1 implemented NFC for Passbook passes (hinted with the preview of the Starwood app being able to unlock rooms), and with Extensibility, I would very surprised if they didn't implement rich tag reading through the notification system.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apple makes a phone with bezels

"God, I don't get why Apple's so behind the times and making these phones so drat big. Why can't they do what [Android manufacturer] does and use an edge-to-edge screen?"

Apple makes a phone without bezels

"Great, now cases either obstruct the display or don't adequately protect the phone. gently caress Apple for obviously putting aesthetics ahead of function. I bet it's at least partially on purpose to make us more likely to break our phones and buy new ones..."
Just to revisit the bezel question, it didn't occur to me that though I argued against edge to edge on iPhones, I didn't actually look into existing edge to edge on Androids. This comment from a thread on Reddit about the 6 Plus vs. Note 3 shows that it's not merely a hypothetical problem: "I bounce between iPhone and Android each refresh, and I have to say the Nexus 5 is driving me NUTS with how many of those [stray touches] it records. I thought the iPhone margins were stupid until trying to single-hand my phone means my hand will touch the edge of the screen and make tapping impossible."

Why Apple doesn't address these concerns directly in their marketing, I don't know.

They might able to do something about the bezel above and below the screen though.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 10, 2014

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Josh Lyman posted:

Just to revisit the bezel question, it didn't occur to me that though I argued against edge to edge on iPhones, I didn't actually look into existing edge to edge on Androids. This comment from a thread on Reddit about the 6 Plus vs. Note 3 shows that it's not merely a hypothetical problem: "I bounce between iPhone and Android each refresh, and I have to say the Nexus 5 is driving me NUTS with how many of those [stray touches] it records. I thought the iPhone margins were stupid until trying to single-hand my phone means my hand will touch the edge of the screen and make tapping impossible."

Why Apple doesn't address these concerns directly in their marketing, I don't know.

They might able to do something about the bezel above and below the screen though.

Didn't Apple make a big deal about how they could detect and reject touches from gripping at the very edge of the screen when the iPad Air came out?

Even so, it's the top and bottom bezels that are too goddamn big, the sides are fine.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Now that I'm seeing more pictures of the watch, I'm not sure I want it anymore. It's so fat and the bezels are huge. Still looks like it'll be too big on my tiny, skinny wrist. Oh well. :(

Edit: just saw a picture of the smaller one. Still too big. Maybe in a couple of years...

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 10, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TinTower posted:

Actually thinking about it, I'm interested in how far Apple's NFC implementation is going to go. My gut feeling is that it's the secure enclave in the A8 chip, and not the NFC chip itself, is why banks were so happy to join up to Apple Pay.

Also, with Pay being implemented into Passbook out of the gate, I wouldn't be surprised if 8.1 implemented NFC for Passbook passes (hinted with the preview of the Starwood app being able to unlock rooms), and with Extensibility, I would very surprised if they didn't implement rich tag reading through the notification system.

Also, banks will be paying Apple a fee for every transaction complete with appay.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sethsez posted:

Didn't Apple make a big deal about how they could detect and reject touches from gripping at the very edge of the screen when the iPad Air came out?

Even so, it's the top and bottom bezels that are too goddamn big, the sides are fine.
This is what the iPad Air produce page says: "The software also works intelligently with the new display. Using a touch-rejection algorithm, iPad Air recognizes if your thumb is simply resting on the display while you’re holding it or if you’re intentionally interacting with the Multi-Touch screen."

Rejecting stray touches may be technically more difficult when you're holding a device in your palm instead of a part of your thumb touching on the other side, but yeah, it's something they've thought about.

As for the top/bottom bezels, they're not getting rid of the home button/Touch ID, so the bottom won't get smaller, and I can't imagine losing the symmetry of the top being the same, so c'est la vie.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Soooo it was a bad idea to think that the iphone6 would be smaller than my big rear end nexus 5, will the prices on the 5S come down much?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

the kawaiiest posted:

Now that I'm seeing more pictures of the watch, I'm not sure I want it anymore. It's so fat and the bezels are huge. Still looks like it'll be too big on my tiny, skinny wrist. Oh well. :(

Edit: just saw a picture of the smaller one. Still too big. Maybe in a couple of years...

What's your wrist size? Speaking as a small-wristed male watch nerd, 38mm (the diameter of the smaller Apple Watch) is kind of a sweet spot that will look good on most people. I think the two sizes, both quite moderate when compared to other smart watches, are a masterstroke by Apple. Isn't the Moto 360 like 46mm? That's Panerai territory and will only look good on truly fat wrists. Apple will get every woman and every dude with skinny wrists who's even remotely interested in this kind of device into their camp, simply by virtue of being the only manufacturer to offer non-ridiculously sized watches.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The last time I had a card with a contact less chip was in like 2009/2010 and I remember they worked roughly half the time. I'd try to use it at random store and when it didn't work the cashier would tell me that it's disabled or something, or I'd scan my card too fast before the cashier has pressed a button or whatever. It got annoying so I just went to swiping. This took 2 seconds and I was done.

Maybe it's gotten better now but all the cards I have none have the pay wave logo on it so I'm guessing it was a failure.

Edit: either way, I would use it if it were available to me but it's definitely not going to lighten my wallet up at all. I'm still going to need to bring my card in case it doesn't work or the store doesn't take it or my phones dead. I still need to carry my license, transit pass, etc. I guess most people already have their phones out and in their hands at the cashier though so it would make things faster.

But like Mr. Artisanal Mayo guy a few pages back, all this is moot for me (and I understand I'm an edge case as well) cause I only shop at farmers markets and small boutiques that are either cash only or use Square. I don't understand how this would work at restaurants either. Do I just give them my phone?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 10, 2014

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Contactless cards are very widely used in the UK and work fine

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Three Olives posted:

Google couldn't get any of them to certify it's system without a secure element so they set up their own pre-paid debit card. The innovation here has nothing to do with the back-end or the merchants, or really the method, it's that they got all the major card issuers to trust them with the NFC tokens which have nothing to do with the card itself or the card number.

Google Wallet was secure element based in both the first version which directly stored the card tokens as well as the second version where the proxy card was stored in the element instead. Google's problem was ISIS/Softcard carriers were blocking it on that basis (because they wanted to use the secure element themselves and it only supports 1). It was only after being unable to overcome that roadblock that Google transitioned over to the third (current) version based on host card emulation, introduced in 4.4.

The innovation is Apple having enough leverage to be able to tell carriers to shove it. And that's A-OK.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 10, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Contactless cards are very widely used in the UK and work fine

I think Oyster in London had a fairly large influence in getting this kind of thing in the public's mind.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xabi posted:

My girlfriend wants (or at least wanted) a Samsung phone over an iPhone because it was too small; she wanted the larger screen. She currently has a 4S as well.

It's a thing at least in China (maybe in the US too) to want a big screen though.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

ijyt posted:

I think Oyster in London had a fairly large influence in getting this kind of thing in the public's mind.

Yeah I think some stations can have NFC payments from phones already too

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Remember that user research and market research are very real and very popular.

Apple didn't just make their phone size decisions on blog posts. They undoubtably did research on potential revenue and the dollars that represent the Phablet market.

They most likely also focus grouped the poo poo out of screen / device sizes because it's incredibly easy to make dummy phones that have the same dimensions and have users provide feedback on their use.

Finally they decided everyone clamoring for the 4S or 5 is dead to them. So if that's you, Apple hates you. They want you to use Firefox OS.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Yeah I think some stations can have NFC payments from phones already too

Weirdly, Oyster is in a sort of limbo at the moment, as Transport for London are heavily pushing paying by contactless (as of next Monday, it'll be accepted on nearly all public transport services in London as a parallel instant payment method).

I'm guessing regardless, I would still expect Oyster and other ITSO cards to become Passbook things if NFC Passes come to fruition.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Wengy posted:

What's your wrist size? Speaking as a small-wristed male watch nerd, 38mm (the diameter of the smaller Apple Watch) is kind of a sweet spot that will look good on most people.

No idea what my wrist size is other than "so tiny I have to buy bracelets for children". I just have really skinny arms and when I wear watches that size (which I have, in the past) it makes me look like a little kid wearing dad's watch. I suppose it's personal taste, really, but I just think that a big watch on small wrists (like this) looks really weird. I was hoping that the Apple watch would be a bit smaller/thinner than it actually is.

I mean I'll still go to the store and check it out, maybe it'll look fine on me, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

e: here's the smaller one

It's not that big I guess but I dunno. I'll just go see it when it comes out.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 10, 2014

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

The Dave posted:

So if that's you, Apple hates you.
If that's true, I will put the hate on them. I will start a blog.

The good thing about these horrible updates (and probably the ipad one next month) is that we won't need to buy new stuff.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

the kawaiiest posted:

It's not that big I guess but I dunno. I'll just go see it when it comes out.

If I had to guess, I'd say this lady's wrist is no bigger than 15.5 centimeters (i. e. tiny) and the Apple Watch fits her just fine. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :)
38mm is a pretty small size in today's watch market and it probably took a huge engineering feat to make the drat thing that small.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

the kawaiiest posted:

I probably won't be able to fully enjoy this round of smart watches because my wrists are too small

Wengy posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say this lady's wrist is no bigger than 15.5 centimeters (i. e. tiny) and the Apple Watch fits her just fine. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :)
38mm is a pretty small size in today's watch market and it probably took a huge engineering feat to make the drat thing that small.

This is actually kind of encouraging, although the moto 360 is still WAY too large for me.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 10, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wengy posted:

It just seems like they made it way too thick. It's really sitting up on the arm in that photo.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

smackfu posted:

It just seems like they made it way too thick. It's really sitting up on the arm in that photo.

Yeah it's really fat. Hopefully the next one will be thinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

64bit_Dophins posted:

This is actually kind of encouraging, although the moto 360 is still WAY too large for me.

That's because it IS huge. I've never held one, but reviews are putting its diameter at 46mm. That's some Flava Flav poo poo right there, something you can only pull off if you have very big wrists. For context: big watches have become a bit of a trend in recent decades, so much so that I'd peg the contemporary 'standard' size for men's watches at about 42mm. Most men can pull that off, but just 30-40 years ago a 42mm watch would have been considered freakishly huge. Certain brands like Panerai or Breitling have really latched onto this trend and are offering lots of big, blingy models at 45+mm sizes which really, really don't work on most people. I've long been convinced that there will be a turn back towards more classic sizes at some point - in fact, most manufacturers, most famously Rolex, have never really left those sizes behind anyway.

38mm and 42mm are very wise size choices which show that Apple have spent a lot of time thinking about and handling actual mechanical watches. I'm not a fan of the Apple Watch in this first-gen incarnation, but just the case design and case size alone is a pretty big win IMHO and it's kind of weird that nobody on the various tech sites really focuses on that.

• Locked thread