Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I guess people are really anxious to talk about the event. So in response to that, here's a thread a bit early to argue about the latest rumors before the September 9 event. We'll just keep it rolling right into the event and it'll become the live-post thread. After that, it'll probably live a third life as the "how the gently caress do I preorder the new iPhone" thread. What can we expect from the event?
  • iPhone 6: likely available September 17. We don't know about preorders yet.
  • Some sort of watch: Reliable sources are saying that they'll announce a watch, but it won't be available for a while. This makes sense, considering we have zero part leaks so far.
  • Home automation: Apple talked about the APIs at WWDC, and there's this gigantic temporary structure being built right outside the keynote venue:

Could it be a demo area for the home automation stuff, or something else entirely?

• iOS 8: The GM should be available for developers on September 9, and available via OTA updates and iTunes a few days later. If you can get your hands on the .ipsw, you can usually install the GM without issue.
  • OS X Yosemite: We'll probably get a release date, but based on current developer previews it's still not ready for prime time. Here's hoping that Apple can pull it together quickly, as Continuity is one of the most exciting features of iOS 8 and requires Yosemite to work.
  • What about the iPad?: Apple's made it a habit to hold a separate iPad event about a month after the iPhone refresh. Hang tight until October.
Live stream from Apple: Right here.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
So excited. The charging port is starting to get a bit dodgy on my launch day 5.

Still undecided between the sizes though.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Gonna go dust off the lawnchairs and cooler and get ready for an ole' fashioned Apple Store stakeout.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah my assumption is the building they put up is to demo ibeacon poo poo.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 5, 2014

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Wait, is there good reason to believe the largest iPhone won't be released until 4Q (as in that timeline)?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mdemone posted:

Wait, is there good reason to believe the largest iPhone won't be released until 4Q (as in that timeline)?
Some rumors suggested yield problems and we've seen far fewer part leaks, both suggesting a staggered release.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Not really that excited about the bigger phones. Hope all the hype they're building with the wearable pays off. Should be a great show.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
I'm looking at upgrading to the 4.7" iPhone, so I'm hoping that 5.5" doesn't have any big exclusive features. Latest rumors say the camera in the 5.5" might have optical image stabilization while the 4.7" won't? :ohdear:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Cawd Rud posted:

I'm looking at upgrading to the 4.7" iPhone, so I'm hoping that 5.5" doesn't have any big exclusive features. Latest rumors say the camera in the 5.5" might have optical image stabilization while the 4.7" won't? :ohdear:

That's what I read too, and it's a bummer if it's true. I'm not upgrading this year, but I really don't like the idea of the larger phones having better cameras because it means that I will end up with a gigantic iPhone 6s or whatever it'll be called next year.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

101 posted:

So excited. The charging port is starting to get a bit dodgy on my launch day 5.
Clean the lint out of it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Karki posted:

Not really that excited about the bigger phones. Hope all the hype they're building with the wearable pays off. Should be a great show.

Wouldn't it make sense to keep the current form-factor for the 'C' type iPhones for those who prefer the smaller size?

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

Thwomp posted:

Wouldn't it make sense to keep the current form-factor for the 'C' type iPhones for those who prefer the smaller size?

I agree. I don't know why they'd dump a size that so many people are used to. I mean, given the choice, I'd probably grab the 4.7" phone. I'm just not excited about it.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

randyest posted:

Clean the lint out of it.

I did this when it started getting spotty and it made it worse. Now I have to put it in a specific position to get it to work.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

101 posted:

I did this when it started getting spotty and it made it worse. Now I have to put it in a specific position to get it to work.
You didn't get the lint out, you pushed it in deeper. Get one of those bristly toothpick things for cleaning between your teeth and prepare yourself for the nasty dustbunny that will emerge.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Apple is going to suck so much money out of me. I'm all set to get the 4.7 iPhone 6 but if the iPad Air 2 shows up on the same day, drat. I like the idea of a phablet, but it's like carrying around a loving tv. I just couldn't imagine having that as a main phone for a year.

I hope the battery rumors for the iWatch are wrong. Although, "bad" battery life for Apple could only be a day. A day would be completely fine with me.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'll be at a conference at Moscone from the 13th-17th. If the iPhone really gets released on the 17th, I'm assuming the Apple store in SF is going to be an absolute clusterfuck and I should probably just order it online instead of trying to buy one that day, right?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 6, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

I'll be at a conference at Moscone West from the 13th-17th. If the iPhone really gets released on the 17th, I'm assuming the Apple store in SF is going to be an absolute clusterfuck and I should probably just order it online instead of trying to buy one that day, right?
1) It'll probably be out the 19th, not the 17th.
2) Buying one on the first day isn't that hard. Just order online, select "in-store pickup" and be out of the store in 5 minutes. Only suckers go into an Apple Store without having their stuff paid for in advance.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

2) Buying one on the first day isn't that hard. Just order online, select "in-store pickup" and be out of the store in 5 minutes. Only suckers go into an Apple Store without having their stuff paid for in advance.

They didn't offer that last year. Assuming because there was a shortage. Worse, they had 95% black phones. Like 2 white and 2 gold per store.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Karki posted:

They didn't offer that last year. Assuming because there was a shortage. Worse, they had 95% black phones. Like 2 white and 2 gold per store.
I can't remember what happened on release day, but I did in-store pickup within a few days of release when the "shortage" was still going on.

edit: Yep, you're right. They opened up in-store pickup 3 days after release.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got my iPad Air on launch day with in-store pickup and I still had to wait in a line. Granted, it was a short line, but it was still a line. :(

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Here it is

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/06/purported-working-iphone-6-appears-online-shows-new-passbook-icon-depicting-mobile-payments/

There's a video of it too, guy uses Touch ID and everything. Looks like it's the real deal.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I saw this earlier this morning. Really hope if there are 4.7/5.5 inch models they will have feature parity. My friend has a Moto X and 4.7 inches is kind of a sweet spot. It is a nice big screen but not in an uncomfortable way in hand.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

serebralassazin posted:

I saw this earlier this morning. Really hope if there are 4.7/5.5 inch models they will have feature parity. My friend has a Moto X and 4.7 inches is kind of a sweet spot. It is a nice big screen but not in an uncomfortable way in hand.

Screen size and device size are different. A 4.7" iPhone will be closer in size to an HTC One (matches the leaked dimensions almost exactly) than the Moto X. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/HTC-One,Motorola-Moto-X/phones/7678,7885

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
There's more from the guy's social account: http://www.miaopai.com/u/paike_z0t1u6fi1m

One interesting one showing the camera app very quickly: http://www.miaopai.com/show/52rztK~-pBOwrOKy2XIYQw__.htm
And the Health app: http://www.miaopai.com/show/LPMaOY0pQsfUwVnT0CgVVg__.htm

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

That design worked well with the 4" screen but blown up to to 4.7" it's pretty goofy looking.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Still don't like the bands. But I need a new phone and I don't want android this time, so maybe they'll have a nice leather case again.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

RVProfootballer posted:

Screen size and device size are different. A 4.7" iPhone will be closer in size to an HTC One (matches the leaked dimensions almost exactly) than the Moto X. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/HTC-One,Motorola-Moto-X/phones/7678,7885

Really like the size of the moto X. Can't wait for Tuesday. First day of work at a new job so I have to wait until I'm home to drink in all the goodness.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
iOS has been stuck at beta 5 for a month now. They're baking something interesting into it. Speculation:

1) iPad multitasking. Someone as of the first beta of iOS 8 already managed to unlock a mostly nonfunctional version of this. Also, the new "size classes" for developing iOS apps would (in addition to the obvious task of handling the new sizes of phone) be perfect for running apps split across an iPad screen.

2) iPad multiuser. I don't feel as strongly about this one, but Apple did suddenly stop storing user data inside app bundles in iOS 8. That was always a silly choice IMO and a big roadblock to having multiple users on one device. Adding touchID makes multi-user login much easier, too.

Fingers crossed...

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
If it's multi user, the absolute minimum it could ship with is 32gb. Splitting 12 between users would be cruel

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

IuniusBrutus posted:

That design worked well with the 4" screen but blown up to to 4.7" it's pretty goofy looking.

Yeah I don't like it either and I think those bands are hideous. Looks kinda cheap, I dunno.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wow, that looks like poo poo if it's real. I mean it's an iPhone leak so it could very easily be fake, but if it's real, I'm totally cool with not being eligible for an upgrade yet.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah I don't like it either and I think those bands are hideous. Looks kinda cheap, I dunno.

...for two minutes before I put in the official case that arrived a few days before the iPhone itself, never to come out again...

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have been using my 5 naked lately. It's so gorgeous but I grip it so hard when taking it out of my pocket for fear of dropping it. It's a piece of jewelry.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wow, that looks like poo poo if it's real. I mean it's an iPhone leak so it could very easily be fake, but if it's real, I'm totally cool with not being eligible for an upgrade yet.
The 6S is gonna look the same :confused:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fleshweasel posted:

I have been using my 5 naked lately. It's so gorgeous but I grip it so hard when taking it out of my pocket for fear of dropping it. It's a piece of jewelry.

Same, the 5/5s is really nice and I still think it's the best looking phone available. Hopefully it looks better in person than in dim-blurrycam-cinemascope.

Also sighted: side-mounted sleep button.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The 6S is gonna look the same :confused:
Hey, I didn't say I was excited for when I am eligible for one :v:

My 5S looks dope and runs pretty drat well so I'm happy with it for now. I don't even really want a bigger screen. Though if it's true that the 6 is coming in higher capacities, that'd be cool because it means I might be able to get rid of my iPod Classic.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What are the chances of the iPhone 6 having a better battery life than the 5? My 5c has unbelievably good battery life compared to my Galaxy S3. While I like that Apple is going in the direction of Android sized phones, I hope battery life doesn't go the same way.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

ijyt posted:

Still don't like the bands. But I need a new phone and I don't want android this time, so maybe they'll have a nice leather case again.

the kawaiiest posted:

What are you referring to by bands? These?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Toe Rag posted:

What are you referring to by bands? These?

~snip~

More than likely the more prominent looking bands on the back. They look a little tacky now there's no glass there.

• Locked thread