Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Maple Leaf posted:

So I finally beat the game today. Most of the game was great and fun, but I'm echoing that the ending was pretty booty. It's not a good thing if something makes me say "are you loving with me" out loud and un-ironically.

For as hard as they tried to tell me that magic wasn't real, it still didn't explain how that pigeon turned into the Great Witch, or how the gate out of the city disappeared behind Layton without anyone noticing, or how a second fire dragon ate the Storyteller in front of everybody without damaging anything else and nobody bothered to address that.

But, without looking back, I'm sure most of my complaints and observations are old-hat in this thread by now.

All of the weird poo poo in the London section only happens after Layton and Luke try to read the book written in hypno-ink. Chelmey and Barton even refer to Darklaw and her Shades as "weirdos in Halloween costumes," which on a second reading could mean that they actually didn't see anyone flying around or shooting gusts. Likewise, everybody got to read the hypno-ink page that said Bezella would kill the Storyteller and the Storyteller alone. That's perfectly consistent by Layton standards. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hey. Hey.

Sherlock.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope there's plenty of color. Biggest knock against Layton vs Phoenix is that all the colors are so washed out.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
It's been a while since I played Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney (Eurogoons got it months ago), but why did Eve try to get Espella convicted in London? Didn't she want to take her back to Labyrinthia?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey. Hey.

Sherlock.

Holy poo poo Sherlock is a fresh faced bishonen husbando, Tumblr's going is going to go nuts with this.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Pennfalath posted:

It's been a while since I played Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney (Eurogoons got it months ago), but why did Eve try to get Espella convicted in London? Didn't she want to take her back to Labyrinthia?

She didn't, though? Eve/Darklaw hired Phoenix to defend Espella so that she could take her back to Labyrinthia.

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey. Hey.

Sherlock.

That is one suave Sherlock. :swoon: The way he's covered with gadgets makes me think he's going to be this game's Ema Skye, helping out with all kinds of scientific crime scene investigation stuff.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 10, 2014

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

She didn't, though? Eve/Darklaw hired Phoenix to defend Espella so that she could take her back to Labyrinthia.

But didn't she want Espella to confess? Or was there some sort of plea deal going on there?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pennfalath posted:

But didn't she want Espella to confess? Or was there some sort of plea deal going on there?

My guess is she figured she was just going to take Espella back as soon as possible and wanted the trial to end quickly.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
She had prearranged the sentence that was going to be proposed by the prosecution in exchange for the easy win, so it was probably just going to be having her released into her custody or something since she was posing as a headmistress of a school.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
More than just Sherlock:
http://kotaku.com/first-look-at-sherlock-holmes-in-the-new-ace-attorney-1632889180/all

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Why is Sherlock taller English white haired Phoenix Wright?

Watson is sadly not shorter English Maya. Maybe English sassy Pearl?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I hope there is a case where you defend noted mathematician and scholar Moriarty against Holmes' wild and baseless accusations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That is one suave Sherlock. :swoon: The way he's covered with gadgets makes me think he's going to be this game's Ema Skye, helping out with all kinds of scientific crime scene investigation stuff.

From the sounds of the article, you'll work together with Holmes/Watson during investigations and it's your job to keep him from breaking the law in the pursuit of the truth.

Also, Iris Watson is not just an 8yo girl, she's also an M.D.!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
As for why (end game spoilers) the archway into labyrinthia disappeared, a gate probably closed behind them that was pure black thus invisible, so their minds filled in the image with the surrounding brick wall. Of all the ridiculous things in this story, what's funny is pure black is an actual real world discovery that happened after it was released in Japan.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fangz posted:

I hope there is a case where you defend noted mathematician and scholar Moriarty against Holmes' wild and baseless accusations.

I'd settle for arrogant rear end in a top hat cocaine caffeine* addict Sherlock myself.
In addition, young lady Watson should dodge all the dumb Watson characterization that has been added to the character in the years.
*it's the only acceptable addiction nowadays

I'm quite curious how they'll portray him. Sherlock is THE detective, the one interested in actual truth, they can't possibly have him be a villain without every player calling foul.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

From the sounds of the article, you'll work together with Holmes/Watson during investigations and it's your job to keep him from breaking the law in the pursuit of the truth.

This could actually work. A bit of culture clash with Ryunosuke trying to keep the dumb foreigners from pissing off the wrong people, while they get to know and understand each other. Maybe cliché, but serviceable.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Omobono posted:

I'm quite curious how they'll portray him. Sherlock is THE detective, the one interested in actual truth, they can't possibly have him be a villain without every player calling foul.

The article mentions him going on a "rampage of logic" so it sounds like we'll be deducing where the facts end and his (narrow-minded cultural) assumptions begin. Sounds fun.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Given that in universe, the Holmes stories are written by an eight year old girl, I think there is substantial leeway for Sherlock to be, if not villainous, not quite as much of a Mary Sue as he is in the stories...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Omobono posted:

I'd settle for arrogant rear end in a top hat cocaine caffeine* addict Sherlock myself.
In addition, young lady Watson should dodge all the dumb Watson characterization that has been added to the character in the years.
*it's the only acceptable addiction nowadays

I don't know, Watson getting hype for JAM SANDWICHES would be a nice little link between Watson's goofier characterisation moments and a female sidekick's unhealthy fixation on junk food.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm absolutely positive that the last case in this game will be Sherlock Holmes as either the victim, defendant, or culprit, and a Moriarty-like character as either the victim, defendant, or culprit.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Please get localized.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fangz posted:

Given that in universe, the Holmes stories are written by an eight year old girl, I think there is substantial leeway for Sherlock to be, if not villainous, not quite as much of a Mary Sue as he is in the stories...

Pretty hosed up to send a little girl into a war zone. There's no way ACD canon is going to get represented 1:1.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Elementary school, my dear Watson.

Edit: Here's a breakdown of the Famitsu article.

The most interesting tidbit is that most of the game actually takes place in London, which makes localization that much easier.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 10, 2014

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

What's the cheapest/oldest iDevice that can reliably run Dual Destinies and Ghost Trick? I merely want to play these games on a TV, and will probably not use it for anything else.

e: with the announcement of the iPhone 6 I figured now is a pretty good time to buy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think Ghost Trick will run on an iPhone 4, but Dual Destinies pretty much requires an iPhone 5.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Waffleman_ posted:

Elementary school, my dear Watson.

Edit: Here's a breakdown of the Famitsu article.

The most interesting tidbit is that most of the game actually takes place in London, which makes localization that much easier.

Which could make an interesting flip on any possibly cultural clashes, given its a Victorian era game. Holmes - or other NPCs - could see you as the dumb foreigner, and you subsequently spend the game disavowing them of such a notion.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So I get to team up with Sherlock Holmes in Ace Attorney? Seems legit.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I would love for the ending to reveal the 2026 gang and Maya just hanging out while Nick discovers his heritage. Would be a nice tie-in to the present and maybe set up AA6?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
What are the chances of this game being localized? I don't mind importing the new one, but I reeeeally am not a huge fan of the idea of buying a Japanese 3DS for it because of region-locking. I mean, I'll do it anyway because I'm an idiot, but you know.

Fangz posted:

Holmes is really not a Mary Sue in the original stories though. Hell, in the original stories he complains to Watson that he romanticizes his capabilities a little too much and exaggerates them(despite being an arrogant prick who is pleased by that). There's even a point where the stories mention there are cases he cannot solve, and Watson just doesn't talk about those because there's really no point in talking about an incomplete story. Plus there are a lot of times where he makes a mistake in the original stories, like in The Adventure of the Yellow Face. So even in the original stories there was already leeway for not making him perfect - he never really was. He was always a really good detective, but not quite perfect. His perfection got really exaggerated in a lot of adaptations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Man I am so disappointed we won't get to see some crazy localization magic where they pretend Great Ace Attorney takes place entirely in Boston's Chinatown or something dumb like that.

For the person looking for an iOS device for Ghost Trick and DD, the ipad 2 seems to be a good minimum for DD, so try that?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

ChaosArgate posted:

Man I am so disappointed we won't get to see some crazy localization magic where they pretend Great Ace Attorney takes place entirely in Boston's Chinatown or something dumb like that.

Hey, look on the bright side. Now they get to explain why Mr. Wright, born and raised California boy, cannot speak a word of English and has to have Mr. Holmes translate for him at every turn in London. :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I hope there's plenty of color. Biggest knock against Layton vs Phoenix is that all the colors are so washed out.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It really hurt the bombastic aspect of the trials.

The Special Episodes rule and seem to be Shu Takumi just making fun of Level 5's writing.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
So, it looks like most of Dai Gyakuten Saiban is going to take place in London! Which more easily explains why Holmes is there.

http://court-records-net.tumblr.com/post/97144158188/and-here-are-full-scans-for-dai-gyakuten-saiban

edit: Bah, this was said earlier. Ignore my enthusiasm. :v:

So will we be traveling from Tokyo Town to London in the US release or mighty they actually say you're in Japan.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hopeford posted:

What are the chances of this game being localized?

Really, really high, I would think. Sherlock Holmes is... kind of a big deal in Europe and America these days. If they bothered to do Dual Destinies, I dunno why they wouldn't do this one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And I think Dual Destinies sold well enough internationally to justify at least a digital release.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
loving Hell, of course there's a sliding block puzzle :negative:

At least this one was actually pretty easy...

e: hoooooly poo poo the cutscene immediately after it :neckbeard:

precision fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 10, 2014

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

What's the cheapest/oldest iDevice that can reliably run Dual Destinies and Ghost Trick? I merely want to play these games on a TV, and will probably not use it for anything else.

e: with the announcement of the iPhone 6 I figured now is a pretty good time to buy.

I played Ghost Trick on an iPad 2, but I have it on my iPhone 4, and it appears to run okay (at least during what little I played of it on the phone). Dual Destinies, however, just about barely runs on an iPhone 4, and that's all I can say for it. As in, it literally ran at 2-3 fps during a normal conversation before I'd even gotten to the courtroom. I don't know about a 4S, but a regular iPhone 4 is definitely a no-go for DD.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God dammit, Layton vs, don't you play Turnabout Sisters! Ah, gently caress here are the tears.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Hey, look on the bright side. Now they get to explain why Mr. Wright, born and raised California boy, cannot speak a word of English and has to have Mr. Holmes translate for him at every turn in London. :v:

You mean like PL vs AA? :v:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How DO they handle that in the Japanese version? Do they just assume Phoenix and Maya are bilingual and understand English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Mzbundifund posted:

How DO they handle that in the Japanese version? Do they just assume Phoenix and Maya are bilingual and understand English?

They just finally admit that the American localization is canon like they should have years ago. :911:

• Locked thread