Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ok I finally got the fan to spin up to 6000rpm and I can hear it but it's still like half as loud I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Nintendo Kid posted:

i didn't know crippling your own wrists was your fetish

yea

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
is there an easy way to tell os x (mavericks) to not use an external monitor while keeping it plugged in? does yosemite add anything?

i.e. in windows 7 i can hit windows+p and say 'disconnect projector'

googling around it looks like i might have to buy a program to do it lol that's so dumb

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
the program is 'switchresx' and it works ok but it's $20 lol

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
whats the name of the website that just streams photos people post to twitter?

i think it had fart or butt i nthe name

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

welcome to os x, where most normal os functions are only available as ludicrously expensive and unsupported third party programs.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Nintendo Kid posted:

welcome to os x, where most normal os functions are only available as ludicrously expensive and unsupported third party programs.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
how did NES do fade to black transitions and the reverse of that? it seems like the NES did over enough colors to get darker versions of the current palette especially for a smooth transition

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

how did NES do fade to black transitions and the reverse of that? it seems like the NES did over enough colors to get darker versions of the current palette especially for a smooth transition

if you look closely at a lot of games that use that effect, they're just halfassing it through close-enough palette changes, and some others will do it by setting palettes to just change some of the pixles straight to black as part of the fade.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
co worker had a serious computer problem. i work in sales as a project manager and do some handshaking implementation poo poo for a business processes management software company. we are also an industry leading mps provider. i had a meeting w a manufacturer today where one of the guys gave us some data on a flash drive. after the meeting one of my coworkers asked where the list was. i told him it was on the drive. he emailed me, and than called me so i could show him where to insert the flash drive into his laptop. about ten min later i get another call, asking me where he could find the list on the flash drive. i get to his office and he is sitting w my computer open. he motions to laptop "where is this on the screen, is it here?" - mouses over network drive
"its C"
studies screen
"where is that"
I open C
"ok wheres the list now?"
I go back and open the flash drive, he kinda looks at it. theres one excel file called "MYCOMPANYNAMELIST"
he clicked it himself i was proud

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Nintendo Kid posted:

if you look closely at a lot of games that use that effect, they're just halfassing it through close-enough palette changes, and some others will do it by setting palettes to just change some of the pixles straight to black as part of the fade.

ah, yeah i think i saw the 2nd one in chip n dale rescue rangers

really looks like a smoother transition than that though so i guess it's an effective trick

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

ah, yeah i think i saw the 2nd one in chip n dale rescue rangers

really looks like a smoother transition than that though so i guess it's an effective trick

for the most part they make it look smooth because you get used to the palette limitations of the system when you're playing in it, and also many games take the time to make the transition effect stay on screen for a very short time so there's less time to notice that, say, brigth green is fading to black by way of blue and brown.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
the palette is not in any convenient order to my knowledge so they would probably have to make a list of what colors turn to what darker ones

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

the palette is not in any convenient order to my knowledge so they would probably have to make a list of what colors turn to what darker ones

yeah thats simple though, since there's only 54 or 55 unique colors available on the NES (it's technically 64 colors, but depending on who you ask 8 or 9 of them are identical to at least one other palette entry on display)

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
neat

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

a good representation:

for comparison

Atari 2600 128 color palette with an additional depiction of how close you could get the bird sample image to look using the actual hardware (which isn't done for the nes because noone was able to mess around with the various sprites and backgrounds enough to recreate it)

and this is the basic 24 bit color test image and 24 bit color chart you see for the palette comparisons:

and just for fun, simulations of how the test parrot could be depicted using the built in color palettes you could switch for regular game boy games on a Game Boy Color or Game Boy Advance:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
for the nes i dont even think a screen could have all the colors used with the combo of a background color, tiles and sprites and i believe tiles and sprites can only use 3 colors plus a transparent

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

for the nes i dont even think a screen could have all the colors used with the combo of a background color, tiles and sprites and i believe tiles and sprites can only use 3 colors plus a transparent

yep, the atari 2600 example illustrates that same sort of thing at the bottom of the image.

you can get pretty crafty with the color usage but it requires demoscene-level competence and the dude who puts those articles together isn't at that level.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

my mom wants a new laptop to replace her brick of a sarnsung. she's big on "portability" so ofc she's jonesing for the asus transformer t100 or w/e "because it gets good reviews"

is this a poo poo idea for a momputer, given that even tho she gets a 15% discount on apple kit she's too cheap for a real computer

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Forums Terrorist posted:

my mom wants a new laptop to replace her brick of a sarnsung. she's big on "portability" so ofc she's jonesing for the asus transformer t100 or w/e "because it gets good reviews"

is this a poo poo idea for a momputer, given that even tho she gets a 15% discount on apple kit she's too cheap for a real computer

if she wants a transformer make sure she gets the variant that runs windows (t100) instead of the similarly named transformers that run android. my great aunt has one of those and actually seems to find using it and windows 8 just fine? wouldn't use one myself, but a lot of people do seem to like em ok enough

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

get her a surface pro 3 or a mac book air

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Bloody posted:

a mac book air

went to mediamarkt with her, she found out pcs are poo poo, got a 13in mba

:tipshat:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mediamarkt is trash for garbage idiots

Aurora-Capitah
Apr 29, 2014

by XyloJW
Whenever I visit hotmail.com on my nexus 4 I get blu176.live.com security certificate untrusted.

Been doing it for months but I hardly use hotmail so haven't cared but it's really starting to piss me off now.

Yes my clock is set to the right time.
No I don't have malware.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Forums Terrorist posted:

is this a poo poo idea for a momputer

yes

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
funnily enough I am also looking for a tablet/notebook hybrid. I wanted for it to be light as a tablet but I kind of wanted to be able to install linux in it. I'm mostly waiting for the next intel x86 processor that is supposed to fit mobile form factor machines better but I'll probably have to have one by next month so I guess I'll have to endure an android.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

yospos i have a computer problem what the gently caress do i buy when my iphone 5 craps out now that timb blew it all up

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

buy a 5s while you still can

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

buy a 5c while you still can

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

5c is for poors

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Forums Terrorist posted:

yospos i have a computer problem what the gently caress do i buy when my iphone 5 craps out now that timb blew it all up

buy the new moto g unless they made that one too big too

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

buy the new moto g unless they made that one too big too

of course they did

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

of course they did

welp

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
note: shaggar does not need to respond to this post

what's the proper way to set a linux machine's fully-qualified hostname? like, so you get the right thing from "hostname --fqdn"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

prefect posted:

note: shaggar does not need to respond to this post

what's the proper way to set a linux machine's fully-qualified hostname? like, so you get the right thing from "hostname --fqdn"

:google:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i used that first, and i saw a couple of different answers (/etc/hosts, /etc/sysconfig/network, /etc/resolv.conf), so i wanted to find out what the right thing was :shrug:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

prefect posted:

i used that first, and i saw a couple of different answers (/etc/hosts, /etc/sysconfig/network, /etc/resolv.conf), so i wanted to find out what the right thing was :shrug:
what does /etc/hostname have in it, or does that exist

what distro are you using

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

5c is for poors

the price difference is minimal. its for the financially responsible