Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Almost forgot this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

tiistai posted:

Almost forgot this

Yeah, that's a keeper. :v:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
:canada:
Pickles and Mike du Jour? Say it ain't so!

Bloom County

Cornelia Guest is a debutante, could you tell?

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Oh, thank God. This conversation has been going on so long I started to think the rapture had happened and Carol and Tommie were the only two living beings left on Earth.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

:tinfoil:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Allen Wren posted:

Wait.

Wait, he's ALREADY DONE THIS BEFORE? Oh what the gently caress. Here I was all set for this to be loving done with, a chapter to be put behind us and forgotten, and it's a RECURRING THING.

Brooke.

Brooke.

gently caress you.

Seriously: gently caress. You.

Oh, yes. He's gammed up Shakespeare before. Started in February 2006 and much like this abomination ran for over a year. It begins here. It's bad. Really bad. I couldn't get past the first scene without pinching the bridge of my nose and shaking my head.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

Yes. Look at that incredible thing over there. Have you ever seen such a sight in your life. My stars. :geno:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

You're not Gandalf, Mary.

Rex Morgan MD

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I am seriously hoping that this old lady is about to kidnap Kelly.

Sorely tempted to take that as a new av.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo and I are of a like mind today. (September 10-11, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (April 30-May 2, 1951)

In Chip Kidd's Peanuts book, he put the last strip in from a newspaper clipping (most of the early ones, for that matter...it's a very nice design choice). To show you how hard it was for some people to get used to the Schulz style, whoever was running the press in 1951 thought Charlie Brown's left eye was a mistake. This actually happened more than once.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 10, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

I guess sometimes even really good artists can try something out that doesn't quite work.

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

:ohdear:

Rip Kirby

Fascinating angles, huh? :pervert:

Big Ben Bolt

:ohdear:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Intelligent Life catch-up post!!!!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

Here are a couple of the old A3G strips from the original artist, Alex Kotzky. I was remembering how it used to look. I wish there was a comprehensive archive of the old strips, but I haven't found one. I found a few strips via Google. Just look at those faces and '60's fashions.

This is from January 15, 1967.

Don't know the date on this one.

Tommie was loosely modeled on Lucille Ball (or so Wikipedia tells us). Lu Ann was modeled after Tuesday Weld. Margo was modeled after Joan Collins.

It is to weep.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
From the sublime to the ridiculous.

Classic Funky

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

TofuDiva posted:

Classic Funky

How did this garbage get two spinoffs?

Jesus, at least the modern lovely drama can produce some kind of emotional response. All this has is jokes, and this particular one makes me want to laugh less than if I were just staring at a blank piece of paper.

Keep posting it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

TofuDiva posted:

Here are a couple of the old A3G strips from the original artist, Alex Kotzky. I was remembering how it used to look. I wish there was a comprehensive archive of the old strips, but I haven't found one. I found a few strips via Google. Just look at those faces and '60's fashions.

This is from January 15, 1967.

What are those skin-colored tube-like things under their body??? :confused:

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Oh, goody, a new reason to hate Mike "I beat my wife" Du Jour.

The Real Pickles.

Bleeker: D'ya know any?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I don't suppose anybody has the original "drat that's a fine elephant" saved anywhere?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Nikaer Drekin posted:

this comic sucks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year One (May 2, 1951)

In Chip Kidd's Peanuts book, he put the last strip in from a newspaper clipping (most of the early ones, for that matter...it's a very nice design choice). To show you how hard it was for some people to get used to the Schulz style, whoever was running the press in 1951 thought Charlie Brown's left eye was a mistake. This actually happened more than once.

What? How? Why? :psyduck:

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I literally groan aloud every time I read this comic. I can roll my eyes at Funky Winkerbean or Nancy, I can just ignore Mike du Jour or Piranha Club, but Intelligent Life... Ugh.

Insufferable Git
Jan 1, 2012

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Anyone remember when Minisec switched to the Mao quotegag-a-day format? I used to read this thread just for that.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Kavak posted:

Anyone remember when Minisec switched to the Mao quotegag-a-day format? I used to read this thread just for that.

For someone who claims to be a radical leftist, StephMac has had a shocking level of mission drift since she dropped the storytelling. Wonder how long it's going to take her to start over again?

Tiggum posted:

What? How? Why? :psyduck:

One of the jobs of the people who ran the old style high-speed printing presses was to keep "extraneous matter" off of the plates. Y'know, hairs and blobs and such. An honest mistake.

You'd never see something like that happening to a Skippy strip. (June 22, 1927)

Peanuts (September 13, 1967)

And so Linus clings to the scorched remnants of his symbolic security. His face covered with soot (the soot of love, mind you), he'll smell like smoke all day. This one always bothered me as a kid, but I was a pretty drat pedantic kid.

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

As they always must in Rip Haywire, things take a turn.

Out Our Way (August 21-22, 1925)

Somebody's scene has always been passing. 'Twas ever thus. :smith:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EasyEW posted:

For someone who claims to be a radical leftist, StephMac has had a shocking level of mission drift since she dropped the storytelling. Wonder how long it's going to take her to start over again?

Mission drift? Has the cartoon become less radical or something?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Every character in every panel of both of these strips has loving smugbrows. Is the artist guy who googles "Family Guy" stills and traces them even aware that humans can do other things with their loving eyebrows?

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Let's see: You don't want to go to that jewelry party anyway, because it's a sales pitch. Pilates chat would help you really kill in that Wonder Woman costume, although you could talk to the Pilates chick about other workout ideas, like weights. Nope, nobody in the office would understand why someone might be planning a costume in the early fall, no costume related holidays coming up. Or have heard of Comic-Con, an event that's about as obscure as the Super Bowl, or even the concept of "there are nerd events people dress up for." And if you do cosplay, you might be interested in what shoes someone got, because it's all a form of clothes and dress up.

Wimmen be shoes and jewelry shoppin am i rite

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EasyEW posted:

One of the jobs of the people who ran the old style high-speed printing presses was to keep "extraneous matter" off of the plates. Y'know, hairs and blobs and such. An honest mistake.
Oh, I understand that that it was done because they thought it wasn't meant to be there. I just can't understand why they thought his left eye was a mistake. How were they seeing that picture?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Oh, I understand that that it was done because they thought it wasn't meant to be there. I just can't understand why they thought his left eye was a mistake. How were they seeing that picture?

The only thing I can imagine is that maybe they saw his nose as his left eye? Like he's winking and doesn't have a nose? I had to force myself to see it that way and even then it seems odd to me (and you'd think the fact that it looks just like his right eye would be a clue).

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Ah, the old James Bondian homing device deal. Of course.

Non Sequitur

I really hope Wiley lets us know what "The Incident" was in this little arc.

Heavenly Nostrils

I dunno, Phoebe, I think the end is kinda depressing. It's been a while since I watched it though, my kids are all old and stuff now.

Kliban

:v:

9 Chickweed Lane 9/10/2003

But, of course.

Zits

God, now I've got a craving for movie popcorn with that fake butter grease they put on it. Yum!

Kevin & Kell

Amazingly detailed interview. Good thing you didn't ask if she was a pedophile or something.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
This charlie brown thing is like Cow Tools for Goons.

Cul-de-sac Timmy Fretwork is known as The Banjo Man, for all you latecomers.

The Creeps squeaks out

Poptropica freaks out

Heathcliff kinda bummed that no one commented on my clever edit yesterday, gotta admit.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Rambling Robot posted:

this comic sucks.

No, you see, Cool Nerd cachet is culturally pervasive enough to inform every single facet of a person's life while still somehow being an impenetrable mystery that no jock or norm can recognize, much less comprehend.

cobalt impurity posted:

Every character in every panel of both of these strips has loving smugbrows. Is the artist guy who googles "Family Guy" stills and traces them even aware that humans can do other things with their loving eyebrows?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- We're off to the pub to celebrate Allan's new job
- Just remember moderation while drinking!
- We certainly will

Maltti, "patience", can in some contexts also mean "moderation" or "holding back" or stuff like that. It also resembles the English word malt.

Well, actually, there's a bit more to it. You know how the Japanese tend to pronounce foreign words so that they end in -u (or, if the last letter is t/d, -o), such as everyone's favourite word "waifu"? In short, it's got to do with how syllabic their language is, and Finnish is in a similar boat. Finnish words (especially nouns) in their dictionary form have a tendency to end with a vowel, although exceptions exist. Unlike Japanese, Finnish loanwords often end with -i or -Ci, C being a doubled consonant. I haven't heard too many people saying waiffi, but laiffi (life, obviously) is a good example. So, if someone wanted to pronounce "malt" in a Finnish-like way, it'd be maltti.

Heimo's expression in the second panel is pretty great.

Fok_It

Moving and migrating both use the same word, muutto.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cul-de-sac Timmy Fretwork is known as The Banjo Man, for all you latecomers.

You can't tie down a banjo man!

Ham Shears is making things difficult

The Dinette Set takes Psych101.

Working Daze is still playing the iThing card.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Kavak posted:

Mission drift? Has the cartoon become less radical or something?

Oh no, politically Stephanie MacMillan is where she's always been. The cartoon, on the other hand, has been at least six different things since it stopped being a thing with a storyline.

I've been flipping through the past year of the thing that's still advertised on GoComics as MiniSec, and it's just a string of personal projects (if you can call anything that rallies for collectivism truly "personal") under an ideological umbrella. So does a few months on the edible plants of Florida, a series on the plight of garment workers and minimum wage in Haiti, and (since the beginning of the year) a series of motivational posters for the "revolutionary proletarian militant". Some of these aren't too bad for what they are, although they straight up belong in the political cartoon thread, but on GoComics all of these are still flying under this description:

"A group of friends vow to do whatever it takes to stop evil corporate overlords from destroying the Earth. How? They aren’t sure. They explore various strategies, but so far nothing has worked. As they build a resistance movement, those who love them the most can be their biggest obstacles."

That's a description of a strip that ceased to exist two years ago, which makes her look like she's not even paying attention to her biggest platform. Or to put a button on it, it makes her look like she has no self-discipline and gets bored easily. I'm still trying to reconcile that with the two year long story that led us to this point.

Told you I was pedantic. :colbert:

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 10, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

Amazingly detailed interview. Good thing you didn't ask if she was a pedophile or something.

Don't be ridiculous, there's no pedophilia in the Kevin and Kell universe. Just ongoing brutal slaughter of sentient, humanlike animals in the "prey" group for food, unless the predators don't want to for some reason. It's a happy cartoon world, don't go dragging harsh reality into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

No, you see, Cool Nerd cachet is culturally pervasive enough to inform every single facet of a person's life while still somehow being an impenetrable mystery that no jock or norm can recognize, much less comprehend.

• Locked thread