Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I use a respirator anytime I am sanding, but not usually when just making cuts on the table or band saw.
I should more often though.

I work with my garage door open and have a fan that blows from the back outside. I'm torn on how much this helps vs kicking up more dust, but with the summer heat I kind of need it on regardless. =/

I also just use a shop vac, but I really think I need something more geared for dust collection. The shop vac works fine for cleanup, but doesn't seem as great for hooking to tools. Any suggestions there? The cheaper the better.
I've debated trying to make something like matthias, but it might be a bit over my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stavrogin
Feb 6, 2010
Finished the mahogany dresser I'd been working on for a client:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Wow. That thing looks amazing.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Tim Thomas posted:

Stavrogin posted:

Both of these are fantastic!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Stavrogin posted:

Stellar! Is that a dye or stain?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Honestly I'd never get anything done if I had to use a respirator every time I wanted to make a cut or use a power tool. My plan is to invest in better dust collection systems for my powered stuff instead. I probably should sand stuff outside though.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I look like I'm fighting ebola whenever I use all the tools since I don't have dust collection beyond a broom.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I just use a fan and my shirt pulled over my nose when sanding.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sylink posted:

I look like I'm fighting ebola whenever I use all the tools since I don't have dust collection beyond a broom.

I just have a shop-vac for whichever tools have a dust port so I also have respirator, glasses, earmuffs, gloves, and bandanna.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Stultus Maximus posted:

I just have a shop-vac for whichever tools have a dust port so I also have respirator, glasses, earmuffs, gloves, and bandanna.

Is this because the shop vac is inefficient or some other reason?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

dhrusis posted:

Is this because the shop vac is inefficient or some other reason?

A shop vac is good for my power sanders but it really doesn't catch much from saws.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

I use a shop vac with a dust deputy on my sanders. The dust deputy made the vac work about three times better. Love that thing. Curious how the knock off above works. I'd buy one.

I used the same setup for 2 years on my table saw and bandsaw. Not great but better than noticing, by far.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So how does it make the vacuum work better? Is it just a matter of the filters being cleaner and that causing airflow to be less impeded?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Basically. It's a cyclone separator, so by the time the air even gets to the vac, it's like 90% cleared already. The separator itself doesn't even HAVE a filter, it literally just spins the dust/debris out of the air, so it's extremely low resistance.

Here's an animation showing how the dust is (almost entirely) separated from the air without a filter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfTZUMq-LGI

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sylink posted:

yep. if I don't wear a respirator i cough constantly for days after using any power tools. which is another reason i'm mostly a hand tool guy, mostly.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I did demolition for 7 years and didn't wear respirators/dust masks as often as I should have (nobody in the company did). Slowly I started getting more sensitive to dust of any sort, and now *need* to wear a respirator for any woodworking or I quickly get a sore throat and a cough. My lungs have been xrayed and auscultated and given a clean bill of health, but yeah, don't be me.

Stavrogin
Feb 6, 2010

wormil posted:

Stellar! Is that a dye or stain?

Thanks! It's dye... followed by shellac, then grain filler, then a couple coats of lacquer. I'm always a bit shaky on finishing, so I followed some pretty explicit advice on this. Turned out pretty well!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stavrogin posted:

Thanks! It's dye... followed by shellac, then grain filler, then a couple coats of lacquer. I'm always a bit shaky on finishing, so I followed some pretty explicit advice on this. Turned out pretty well!

Looks amazing, really nice work.

justincredible
Mar 26, 2014

just too incredible

His Divine Shadow posted:

I consider this my actual first woodworking project. We needed a small shoe rack for the door in the laundry room and I figured I'd try building one. I just kinda winged the idea of the size and thought it out in my head. In retrospect I would do things differently and be more careful in others and definitely use more test pieces before cutting dados, which is doable but takes a while when you just have a rip blade.

In place. I think I'd like to coat it with shellac still.

this looks really nice, i need to make one of these and im going to use your pics as inspiration, thanks!

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

mds2 posted:

I use a shop vac with a dust deputy on my sanders. The dust deputy made the vac work about three times better. Love that thing. Curious how the knock off above works. I'd buy one.

I used the same setup for 2 years on my table saw and bandsaw. Not great but better than noticing, by far.

I'm buying a dust deputy today. Using with a big shop vac. I guess I'm hoping that its powerful enough to use for all my tools given the suction will be fairly strong with the dust deputy in place.

I've got my tools in the garage, and we I also use the garage to do workouts, so I'm worried about too much dust being a problem for cardio type stuff.

Should I be scaaaaaaaaaaaared?

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

dhrusis posted:

I'm buying a dust deputy today. Using with a big shop vac. I guess I'm hoping that its powerful enough to use for all my tools given the suction will be fairly strong with the dust deputy in place.

I've got my tools in the garage, and we I also use the garage to do workouts, so I'm worried about too much dust being a problem for cardio type stuff.

Should I be scaaaaaaaaaaaared?

Just to be clear, Dust Deputy won't make it stronger, it'll just ensure the suction deteriorates much more slowly.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So how does it make the vacuum work better? Is it just a matter of the filters being cleaner and that causing airflow to be less impeded?

Yes, exactly. A bag and a filter both start to clog the minute you start using them. The dust deputy eliminates the need for both of them. You get full power suction from your vac all the time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If you plan on using a shop vac for a bunch of tools, your biggest problem will be the longer hose, as the friction will slow your air flow drastically even over just, say, an extra 10'. A larger diameter hose will help alleviate that flow issue, but then you have slower air flow, so things don't get moved through the tube as well. That is, if you're moving 1000 cubic feet through a 2" hose every minute, it's gonna be blasting pretty hard but will take a ton of force to keep it going. Move the same 1000 cubic feet per minute through an airplane hangar and you'd have a hard time even knowing it's moving, much less sucking dust along with it, but it's practically frictionless.

Also, a slight loss of suction at blast gates and the like if you have any.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Bad Munki posted:

If you plan on using a shop vac for a bunch of tools, your biggest problem will be the longer hose, as the friction will slow your air flow drastically even over just, say, an extra 10'. A larger diameter hose will help alleviate that flow issue, but then you have slower air flow, so things don't get moved through the tube as well. That is, if you're moving 1000 cubic feet through a 2" hose every minute, it's gonna be blasting pretty hard but will take a ton of force to keep it going. Move the same 1000 cubic feet per minute through an airplane hangar and you'd have a hard time even knowing it's moving, much less sucking dust along with it, but it's practically frictionless.

Also, a slight loss of suction at blast gates and the like if you have any.

I don't mind dragging the vac around to attach to the different dust ports of tools, just want to make sure there's nothing crazy I'm missing by using a shop vac + dust deputy vs. something like a regular dust collection system, which I assume is just more powerful...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A shop vac moves less air but moves it faster, more suction in other words. A dust collector moves alot more air but slower, the DC is from what I've heard, much better suited at collecting dust and the like from large machines like table saws and such. I'll be making a diy shopvac with cylcone separator and put it on castors so I can hook it up to various machines, but my long term plan is to have a real dust collector hooked up to the cyclone and probably keep it stationary, but have 4" tubing along the walls with outlets I can plug machines like table saws and jointers into.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

His Divine Shadow posted:

A shop vac moves less air but moves it faster, more suction in other words. A dust collector moves alot more air but slower, the DC is from what I've heard, much better suited at collecting dust and the like from large machines like table saws and such. I'll be making a diy shopvac with cylcone separator and put it on castors so I can hook it up to various machines, but my long term plan is to have a real dust collector hooked up to the cyclone and probably keep it stationary, but have 4" tubing along the walls with outlets I can plug machines like table saws and jointers into.

Badass plan. That's when it becomes a "real shop" to me. Would just plugging into machines do the trick for all dust though? I find that when my shop vac is attached to my Dewalt 745, there's still dust on the top and around the base. Would you fix that with 2 ports, one to the saw and one on the ground with a special nozzle (like a reverse hood)?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just finished this. . . whatever you'd call it so that we can free up some more counter space and put our wine bottles somewhere. At the far right side there are three cubby shelves that you can see (on the end) that are about 10" deep. The frame is 5/8" G1S Ply with some slightly off-white paint and the top, lets drawers and trim are black walnut. Took me about a week to do as I had a lot of painting/oiling/sealing to do.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Dust collector is awesome for sucking wasps out of midair. They have no hope.

After a million years I finally got around to making a taper jig. One of those kind with a hinge. Glue is drying now and I still have to attach the metal slotted arm thingy.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I bought one of those 3M 6000 series half mask respirators and its awesome. I originally bought it for sanding but I wear it all the time now in the shop if I am making dust.

I have a goatee and I still get a good seal. The N95 series won't do that and are much more uncomfortable. The 6000 series is about as comfortable as a respirator can be. The only downside is my neighbors probably think I'm making meth when I walk outside to do something.

Three years ago I made two adirondack chairs out of cedar. They required a ton of contour sanding. It was cold and flu season and I got a chest cold so bad that it hurt to breathe and I coughed for three weeks. That was my wake up call.

Don't mess with sawdust folks.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

dhrusis posted:

Badass plan. That's when it becomes a "real shop" to me. Would just plugging into machines do the trick for all dust though? I find that when my shop vac is attached to my Dewalt 745, there's still dust on the top and around the base. Would you fix that with 2 ports, one to the saw and one on the ground with a special nozzle (like a reverse hood)?

My table saw has an overhead blade guard so I will be hooking the DC up to it and the base of the table saw, it's all designed to be hooked up to a DC as it's a 2nd hand industrial machine. The guard is just too big and clumsy though, all sheet metal and steel. Gonna build one much narrower from Lexan instead so I can see what I am working on.

justincredible posted:

this looks really nice, i need to make one of these and im going to use your pics as inspiration, thanks!

Oh btw thanks :)

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

LordOfThePants posted:

I bought one of those 3M 6000 series half mask respirators and its awesome. I originally bought it for sanding but I wear it all the time now in the shop if I am making dust.

I have a goatee and I still get a good seal. The N95 series won't do that and are much more uncomfortable. The 6000 series is about as comfortable as a respirator can be. The only downside is my neighbors probably think I'm making meth when I walk outside to do something.

Three years ago I made two adirondack chairs out of cedar. They required a ton of contour sanding. It was cold and flu season and I got a chest cold so bad that it hurt to breathe and I coughed for three weeks. That was my wake up call.

Bought one of these due to your post. Thanks. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Paint-Proj...#productDetails

Gotta get my sawdust under control! Also my wife can use it for mixing lye when soapmaking.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

I know I'm about 10 years late to the party but Sketchup is pretty loving neat. I won't say I've found it especially intuitive so far but I've only been messing around with it for a week and I'm starting to get the hang of things. This is a shelf someone requested I build, being able to send them something that's relatively close to the final product is much better than my usual childlike scratching on notebook paper.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

LordOfThePants posted:

I usually wind up coughing for most of the evening from just doing hand sawing (I used to have asthma and kind of have lovely lungs I think).

Unless you're doing hand chisel or handplane work, wear a loving dust mask.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So I made these things. I'm posting them here because I asked a few questions here and received good tips.

Bread board (wild cherry and purple heart)

Coasters (peruvian walnut, tigerwood, mahogany and sapele)

Cutting board (wild cherry and purple heart)

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Very nice. That is some fantastic grain on the cherry in the cutting board, so uniform.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Second coat (of the surface). Starting to look a lot more even. The 800 grit sandpaper was definitely a good idea, plus I found a new cheap cotton cloth to help wipe up the dust before application.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Got tired of looking for paint cans or buckets the right size for a circle so I made John Heisz beam compass. Took about 30 minutes not counting glue drying. Used a leg from a tv tray my neighbor tossed out, I think the wood is lauan. Sorry for the crappy pic, my phone died so I used my camcorder. I didn't bother with his plans, just copied the basic construction. Mine has about a 12" radius, plenty big for any circle I will draw.

justincredible
Mar 26, 2014

just too incredible

KingColliwog posted:

So I made these things. I'm posting them here because I asked a few questions here and received good tips.

Bread board (wild cherry and purple heart)

Coasters (peruvian walnut, tigerwood, mahogany and sapele)

Cutting board (wild cherry and purple heart)

i like the purple heart

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
Hey guys, does anyone have any advise for babby's first bandsaw? I'm thinking about going in cheap (maybe ~200?) to try my hand at making bandsaw boxes and other small projects. Is this a good idea, or should I just screw my jigsaw upside down on a board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

If you want to try to save money on a bandsaw, I'd recommend trying to find a nicer quality but used one. If you buy a cheaper, new, bandsaw, you're just going to get frustrated when it doesn't have the power, or the features, or the size, or whatever it was you compromised on to save money.

That being said, I looked for a used saw for a long time and never found one, and ended up buying a new one from Grizzly (no regrets, love it).