Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Pidmon posted:

Because your fun is an example of casual racism?

...yes...yes it is. poo poo. I apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Welcome to PYTh

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pidmon posted:

What? This took a turn I didn't see coming.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

RareAcumen posted:

Nobody axed you.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Pidmon posted:

I always thought it was because will smith had a huge cigar in his mouth.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not even the same scene.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I am incredibly triggered right now by Will Smith and his supposed dialogue and casual racism. Like my emotions, and the triggering thereof, are directly related to Will Smith and this conversation.

What I'm saying here is that Will Smith is nothing but a trigger.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

oldpainless posted:

I am incredibly triggered right now by Will Smith and his supposed dialogue and casual racism. Like my emotions, and the triggering thereof, are directly related to Will Smith and this conversation.

What I'm saying here is that Will Smith is nothing but a trigger.

Took too long; you were a slave to your set up.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

It's encountering unexpected moments like this that make life interesting, and worth living. And also make you wish somebody would buy a :goback2tumblr: emote already.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Ariong posted:

I always thought it was because will smith had a huge cigar in his mouth.

"Now that's what I call a close encounter" is the line he says with the cigar.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Probably examine yourself if you're kneejerking into a rage against SJWs and tumblr after reading the word 'racism' in any context now.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Trainmonk posted:

Probably examine yourself if you're kneejerking into a rage against SJWs and tumblr after reading the word 'racism' in any context now.

I'm not. I am, however, thinking "Man, it's been a while since I've seen Independence Day."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Byzantine posted:

"Now that's what I call a close encounter" is the line he says with the cigar.

That's a good line. Man, sounds like that movie was even better than I remember.

Anyway, Super Amazing Wagon Adventure Turbo is a really good game. There's one scenario in which one of your party members falls in love with another and picks a flower to give them. If you try to fire your weapon while holding the flower, a heart will come out and float away.

EDIT: Hey! I just stumbled upon this post again 6 years later and it kind of sucks and I regret it! I appreciate the desire to get the conversation back on track and in a more positive direction, but this way of doing it is really dismissive to the idea that the thing being discussed is kind of racist which seems like something worth discussing. Waving that off like this is pretty lovely! Just wanted to note that I regret this post and I don’t suck as much now as I did when I made it. Enjoy the rest of this old-rear end forums page.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 07:29 on Jan 16, 2021

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Far Cry 3 is the best Assassin's Creed game ever. Sneaking through the jungle and using your eagle vision magical camera to keep track of all the dudes and then shanking them with your hidden blade machete is so much fun.

It's a shame the story is balls, but the gameplay definitely makes up for it. Also the co-op campaign is tons of fun.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

biosterous posted:

It's a shame the story is balls, but the gameplay definitely makes up for it. Also the co-op campaign is tons of fun.

The co-op campaign is basically unfinished but it is pretty good fun regardless. Every now and again some of the banter actually gets a smile out of me - if you revive Leonard after he's downed sometimes he'll say something like "it was just a leg cramp."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I just finished Danganronpa and didn't like most of it but man the art design was pretty sweet. Everything was all neon and the angles were ever-so-slightly wrong and it gave the whole thing a hell of a nightmarish feel. I love when a game has great, cohesive art design.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Ryoshi posted:

I just finished Danganronpa and didn't like most of it but man the art design was pretty sweet. Everything was all neon and the angles were ever-so-slightly wrong and it gave the whole thing a hell of a nightmarish feel. I love when a game has great, cohesive art design.

I love the stupid hot-pink blood everywhere. It's awesome.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I recently got Super House of Dead Ninjas on Steam in a bundle, and I love the little announcer voices when you do fancy things, like double jumping just above spikes or pulling off a cool kill.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So I just finished my third playthrough of Infamous: Second Sun, and got the platinum trophy, and I really liked the fact that SP gave a little in-game shout out for it. It really made my day.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

biosterous posted:

Far Cry 3

The co-op was one of the best things in the game, a friend and I played one level per night to stretch it out we had a riot. I'd take co-op over regular "vs" multiplayer stuff any-day.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Apparently Far Cry 4 is going to have drop in co-op during the main campaign. I loved Far Cry 3 so 4 is gonna be a day-one purchase

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I appreciate it when a game can find a good way to tie in a co-op player in campaign mode, especially if it changes the story or dialogue. It's pretty easy with a random war game like CoD or Gears of War; just let player 2 control a redshirt soldier. But with more character-based games like something from the 007 world it gets tricky.

...Except now I'm trying to think of an example and I'm drawing a blank. I can think of a few games that did it poorly (Perfect Dark just threw in some random chick). Any games that do a great job of adding a co-op player? I know I've played some before...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dead Space 3 had the co-op character always around, just that if you weren't playing co-op he was off with other people.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
How did Tomb Raider: Guardians of Light do it with regards to the plot? I've only played co-op, but I love how the game's puzzles and challenges change to adopt the fact that there's a new player with different abilities to Lara's, and I think it's great.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Mercs 2 co-op was a blast, the only drawback being the progress only saved to the host's game, that and all the bugs.

The co-op challenges on Burnout Paradise were also well done.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He would just show up when the plot needed him to be around. For gameplay they gave Lara the spear move so she could just do that stuff by herself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muscles like this? posted:

Dead Space 3 had the co-op character always around, just that if you weren't playing co-op he was off with other people.

Yeah, it was pretty well done. If you were playing on your own, Carver will make some mention of having his own job to do at the end of a cutscene and go off until the next one (often by walking past you and just vanishing once off-screen). During all the various interstitial conversations during gameplay he'll just chime in over the radio from wherever he is rather than from right beside Isaac and some of his dialog changes to reflect this a little too.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

timp posted:

I appreciate it when a game can find a good way to tie in a co-op player in campaign mode, especially if it changes the story or dialogue. It's pretty easy with a random war game like CoD or Gears of War; just let player 2 control a redshirt soldier. But with more character-based games like something from the 007 world it gets tricky.

...Except now I'm trying to think of an example and I'm drawing a blank. I can think of a few games that did it poorly (Perfect Dark just threw in some random chick). Any games that do a great job of adding a co-op player? I know I've played some before...

in Halo 3, if you played two-player the story altered slightly so that the Arbiter was always hanging out with the Chief, and I think they even changed some dialogue and cutscenes to reflect that.

If you added players 3 and 4, they were a pair of Elites with their own unique models, but I never played that so I don't know how much else was changed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjahedgehog posted:

in Halo 3, if you played two-player the story altered slightly so that the Arbiter was always hanging out with the Chief, and I think they even changed some dialogue and cutscenes to reflect that.

If you added players 3 and 4, they were a pair of Elites with their own unique models, but I never played that so I don't know how much else was changed.

Halo Reach just added three more Spartans as well. I always just took them as Nobles 7-9 :v:.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

timp posted:

Sonic 2?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't know if I'll get grief for saying this or not, but I legitimately appreciate the way Diablo 3 handles an extra player or three joining the game, which basically boils down to, "Who fuckin' cares, there are four of you now, good job, stuff's a wee bit harder." It makes for a very smooth flow when you have friends hopping in and out of games at their leisure.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah no video game has ever handled co-op very well outside of the ones that ignore the issue of having multiple heroes saving the world. The original halo knew what's up, they didn't change poo poo for co-op.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The original halo I thought had the other spartan, Kelly, as your coop partner? It wasn't acknowledged in the game though, which makes it a poor implementation. I think it might even just be a fan theory come to think of it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a fan theory based on the tie-in novel that came out shortly before the game did. The game acknowledges almost nothing from the books and outright contradicts them in a lot of places, and has no information about the backstory of the second co-op player- it's just another copy of the Master Chief model and it disappears for cutscenes so people can think it's Kelly if they want.

For Halo 4, they *did* try to build a much stronger connection between the game and the novels, but by then the novels had diverged so far from the original concept that the effect was to take an enormous poo poo on the game continuity and piss everyone off.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I heard Bulletstorm was supposed to be co-op but they ultimately axed it because they couldnt make it fun or interesting. You can tell by the fact that you are never alone for a second, theres always an AI partner.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

RagnarokAngel posted:

ultimately axed it because they couldnt make it fun or interesting.

There's so many games that would benefit from doing this in regards to multiplayer modes.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Perfect Dark co-op is still one of the best multiplayer experiences in gaming, especially the XBox rerelease. By abusing the updated controls and the fact that the AI isn't optimized for multiple characters you can pull wacky stuff like knocking out every enemy on a mission with your bare fists.

I liked the idea that Resident Evil 6 had of co-op partners facing hordes of zombies with some being controlled by other players, a la Left For Dead. That really shouldn't count, however, since if no players are connected you still have an AI teammate pretty much all the time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

timp posted:

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record, which is an alternate take on Dead Rising 2 where you play as the series first protag (Frank West), and the co-op player in that plays as the original DR2's main character, Chuck Greene.

In Dead Rising 3, the guy your co-op player plays as is a dude named Dick who shows up in cutscenes and even has a few lines, and he's always assumed to be somewhere nearby your main dude whether or not you're playing co-op.

Dead Rising is co-op goodness.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory had a pretty kick-rear end co-op. It was separate but related to the main story line with Sam, but you played as 2 other agents. Interaction with Lambert and Grim and all that jazz was still there. I think there may have been some dialog with Sam, but I can't remember for sure. Been a while since I played.

I can say that playing co-op via local system link in separate rooms with headsets is the best way to play it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tater Tot 13
Nov 14, 2003

Making the best of a goon situation.
The Left 4 Dead series is awesome co-op. Lots of funny dialog between the characters and tons of replay value. Sure it's pretty much hack and slash but it still holds up even with it's age.