Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

I've slowly been working through a few more safari photos.

Awesome fox photos. Too bad you don't have a shot of them taking off with your boots.

1. Holy GRAP you're posting some great stuff. Scrolling down I was all "Kitty!" followed immediately by :aaa:

2. The thief of my boots is still unconfirmed. We at first thought it was a Polar Bear, but recent conversations with other Arctic researchers has suggested a family of Arctic Foxes might have been raised in my boots :3:
Whatever took my boots - and 3 pairs of my companions' boots - had about 8 hours to do so while we were up on top of The Dome. A single fox, or a pair working together, could have transported the boots one-at-a-time to some hidey-hole, there to shelter their kits. That's the current working hypothesis, anyways.

Wet feet still suck, though.

EDIT: I don't remember if I've posted this picture from last summer before. Here's a shot of an Arctic Fox stealing a cookie.
Visits from a fox 8 by Execudork, on Flickr

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

I've slowly been working through a few more safari photos.

Awesome fox photos. Too bad you don't have a shot of them taking off with your boots.

Holy poo poo dude. That first one is incredible.

I've heard arctic foxes can be a pain- not only in camp, but by following researchers around and eating all the animals they are trying to study. Luckily these red foxes seem not to be doing that as far as we can tell.

Shaky fox video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwNWEwZYE1s

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I've heard arctic foxes can be a pain- not only in camp, but by following researchers around and eating all the animals they are trying to study. Luckily these red foxes seem not to be doing that as far as we can tell.

I ran across this today while wondering why there were a bunch of species named "Steller's <X>"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Wilhelm_Steller

quote:

The remaining men made camp with little food or water, a situation made only worse by frequent raids by arctic foxes.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

EDIT: I don't remember if I've posted this picture from last summer before. Here's a shot of an Arctic Fox stealing a cookie.
Visits from a fox 8 by Execudork, on Flickr
Haha, what little bastards. My dad used to play on a golf course that was famous for its fox that would grab your golf ball right off the fairway, but I imagine that behaviour loses its charm when you start losing vital pieces of gear and food.

Completely unrelated and far less cute -- here's a sequence of shots my wife and I took of a zebra/crocodile river encounter. Photo conditions weren't exactly ideal, but you can't really plan for this stuff.

I'm going to spoiler the graphic shots.

Time to cross the river

Uh oh

Oh whew, they got away in time

"Hey guys, those two made it across, it must be safe."

Uh oh

He escaped!

...but probably not a happy ending :(

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Everything about this shot is awesome, the splatter against the water is amazing.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Kenshin posted:

I ran across this today while wondering why there were a bunch of species named "Steller's <X>"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Wilhelm_Steller
There's also Peter Simon Pallas. Evidentially, German naturalists like to name as many species as possible after themselves.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
SPCC6110 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
nature is loving gross, get a room you freaks

*takes photo*

caterpillar orgy

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I went to the zoo, I took pictures.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I don't know why I seem to mostly post dragonflies in here but this one was too drat pretty not to post:

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Did not zoom with feet, did not get mauled

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Some more otters and elk from Humboldt County

otter-stare by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter-whisper by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

elk-bull-dry-lagoon by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEPKdbZu3K8

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 9, 2014

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I know I'm just shamelessly spamming Kenya photos but I've still got so many to go through and if I don't post them now I'm likely to forget about it.

Here's a sequence from the dramatic river crossing we saw. There's also a video I made of the crossing that I posted earlier but I'll put another link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tbbfGxunF0

Not sure if this works that well, but a slower shutter version of above

Other dangers apart from just jumping or drowning

The aftermath, on the other side of the river

Kenshin posted:

I don't know why I seem to mostly post dragonflies in here but this one was too drat pretty not to post:

I went for a walk this past weekend and came back with a pile of dragonfly shots as well, but none as nice as this. I love the eyes! What kind of lighting did you use, if any?

Fart Amplifier posted:

Did not zoom with feet, did not get mauled

This is awesome.

Moon Potato posted:

Some more otters and elk from Humboldt County
The otters seem really dark to me (glare from the water messing with your metering?) The elk is gorgeous though!

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I know I'm just shamelessly spamming Kenya photos but I've still got so many to go through and if I don't post them now I'm likely to forget about it.

Here's a sequence from the dramatic river crossing we saw. There's also a video I made of the crossing that I posted earlier but I'll put another link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tbbfGxunF0

Amazing photos and videos. The route down to the river second from the right is not very safe!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

I went for a walk this past weekend and came back with a pile of dragonfly shots as well, but none as nice as this. I love the eyes! What kind of lighting did you use, if any?
Never stop posting those Kenya pictures!

No lighting, 100% sunlight. It just happened to be at the correct angle and the autofocus nailed it, and I was pretty close to my minimum focusing distance. :)

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

The otters seem really dark to me (glare from the water messing with your metering?) The elk is gorgeous though!
That first shot was graded in a dark room with a monitor calibrated for a brighter environment - I just brought up the curves a bit to bring out more shadow detail. Flickr crushes the blacks a bit on the images you upload too, which is kind of annoying.

Amazing wildebeest shots!

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Not sure if this works that well, but a slower shutter version of above

I prefer this one. I think it gives a better sense of action and movement, and is more interesting and aesthetically pleasing than the one with the frozen movement.

InternetJunky posted:

The aftermath, on the other side of the river

Makes me want to be there

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Young Muskrat by justincook5376, on Flick

Young Muskrat with a little something on it's face.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Is that a l'il mustard on his lip?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Some more big cats from Kenya

Beautiful photo, and holy poo poo look at the size of those front paws!

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Yesss.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

Never stop

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

InternetJunky posted:

All of those are excellent, but I'm particularly taken with the snarling lion.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

Goddam. Never, ever stop. Go on another trip, as soon as you can.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

Goddam. Never, ever stop. Go on another trip, as soon as you can.
I'm glad you guys like them, since I have a lot more to go through (and I'm not going to delete any of them :colbert:)

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Squirrels are nearly as impressive as lions

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Fart Amplifier posted:

Squirrels are nearly as impressive as lions

Awesome pics.

Having been to Boston. Them some tiny rear end Squirrels.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I'm glad you guys like them, since I have a lot more to go through (and I'm not going to delete any of them :colbert:)
Good. Keep posting :munch:

More Roosevelt elk from this weekend:

elk-fog by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

There were three bachelor bulls near the mouth of Fern Canyon. Two of them were very large and were bugling at each other from a distance. The third, smaller one was between the other two and wanted nothing to do with either of them. It slunk away whenever it sounded like the others were getting closer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPsQ3vrEMY

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Moon Potato posted:

There were three bachelor bulls near the mouth of Fern Canyon. Two of them were very large and were bugling at each other from a distance. The third, smaller one was between the other two and wanted nothing to do with either of them. It slunk away whenever it sounded like the others were getting closer.

Love the pic and the video- really tells a story in just a few seconds.

Reminded me I don't think I posted these.

Toolik Caribou in Snow fs 1805 on Flickr

I might try a really narrow crop on this one
Toolik Caribou in Snow fs 1806 on Flickr

and video (apparently I have crap on the sensor of my old camera)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-_GY6HkjKw

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Gonna have to go look for some elk this week! Rad shots of antlered things all around.

This was the only worthwhile wildlife shot from my week backpacking trip, but I'm very happy to finally have a pika photo. The little dudes seemed to be doing very well this year despite the drought. :3:

Friendly Pika by Icybacon, on Flickr with standard oversharpening :pcgaming:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Squirrel, reprised

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Here's some more lion shots. I had a hard time with the processing on these as the light changes so rapidly in the morning in Africa. Let me know if there's anything that stands out as particularly garish.

This is a big crop, and it shows, but how often do get get a lion hug

Some great recent squirrel shots...
Holy poo poo

Alpenglow posted:

Gonna have to go look for some elk this week! Rad shots of antlered things all around.

This was the only worthwhile wildlife shot from my week backpacking trip, but I'm very happy to finally have a pika photo. The little dudes seemed to be doing very well this year despite the drought. :3:

Friendly Pika by Icybacon, on Flickr with standard oversharpening :pcgaming:
What an awesome shot! I've been trying to find one who will pose for me but they are super skittish (for good reason I guess).

Moon Potato posted:

I love the elk photo. I would have been pretty nervous to be wandering around during the elk rut in that fog. Nice video too...I'd love to find them calling, and have gone out of a couple of times with that goal, but no luck so far.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

:stonk:

:stonk::stonk::stonk:

Was this a fresh kill?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Fantastic lion action shots! I'm so jealous of your trip.

InternetJunky posted:

I love the elk photo. I would have been pretty nervous to be wandering around during the elk rut in that fog. Nice video too...I'd love to find them calling, and have gone out of a couple of times with that goal, but no luck so far.
Thanks. The one in the fog was a pretty safe shot - the bulls were settling in for the night and I had seen the two larger ones take off in other directions. The moment that scared me in all that was when the bugling bull in the video started walking toward me. I had to break my rule of staying near a sturdy tree or a car to get a clear view of him on the dunes, and he started walking around toward the side of the small lagoon I was set up by. I was scrambling pretty hard to get my gear packed up so I could GTFO if he kept coming my way... luckily, he just wanted to drink from the lagoon.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

went to a zoo today

P9160161.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P9160155.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P9160200.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P9160083.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

editing on my laptop in the hotel sucks tho

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Brave (stupid) Squirrel by torgeaux, on Flickr

And, now we know why our bird feeder is always empty.

Thief by torgeaux, on Flickr

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I made a trip out to Oregon a couple weeks ago, nice zoo in Portland. Here's some of my favorites.

DSC_3447 by borkencode, on Flickr
The wife took this one, I'm holding the birds.

DSC_3426 by borkencode, on Flickr

DSC_3403 by borkencode, on Flickr

DSC_3356 by borkencode, on Flickr

DSC_3248 by borkencode, on Flickr

DSC_3237 by borkencode, on Flickr

Bonus actual wildlife I found while we were on the coast.

DSC_3707 by borkencode, on Flickr

DSC_3723 by borkencode, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Sure, let me just approach this strong wild animal which basically has knives for hair. What could go wrong?