Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

CJacobs posted:

It's mostly a matter of getting into the mindset of being willing to try poo poo to see if you can do it. If you don't want to go straight into the statue on liberty island you can, for example, stack some conveniently placed boxes to climb up the side or hack a robot and let it go to town on the opposition, but the game doesn't ever tell you that you can do that. In the first conversation with Paul he talks about your equipment, and then the informant on the other end of the island, and leaves the rest up to you. Most video games of this kind don't have that kind of open-ended-ness.

I remember thinking "Wow, so this is what video games are going to be like in the future." I'm kind of annoyed to have been so profoundly wrong about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The biggest thing that "wow'd" me with Deus Ex is that they had voice overs and lip syncing, which was awesome at the time.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Welp, reinstalling. What's the established set of hoops now? I'm downloading new vision, deus exe, the high definition texture pack and biomod. Anything else required?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Actually sod the HDTP it looks too unfinished

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Welp, reinstalling. What's the established set of hoops now? I'm downloading new vision, deus exe, the high definition texture pack and biomod. Anything else required?

Nah, that's it. Honestly, out of those two, deus exe and biomod are the only really required ones.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fact: I am bored.
Fact: I have Deus Ex on Steam.
Fact: Deus Ex is one of the only games that will run on my laptop.
Conclusion: I will replay Deus Ex.

Anyone have suggestions for this playthrough? Some weird stuff to see or do would be fun.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Anyone have suggestions for this playthrough? Some weird stuff to see or do would be fun.

My last playthrough I went non-lethal. So much pepperspray and baton whacking. Also fire extinguishers will act as pepperspray.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

No-kill is either incredibly hard (when you're out of prod charges) or incredibly easy (when you have tons of tranq darts) and makes for an interesting game. You can even (with much, much difficulty) tranq Gunther in Paris so that he gets knocked unconscious.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Party Plane Jones posted:

No-kill is either incredibly hard (when you're out of prod charges) or incredibly easy (when you have tons of tranq darts) and makes for an interesting game. You can even (with much, much difficulty) tranq Gunther in Paris so that he gets knocked unconscious.

Strength aug and a baton is a one shot ko.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Explosive/heavy weapon kills only, full lethal (kill every enemy on every level).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 10, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

El Scandelouse posted:

Strength aug and a baton is a one shot ko.

The prod works on certain jerks better (MiB/WiB, Commandos) than the baton which is why I generally use it over the baton.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Ok I installed everything apart from biomod and it worked fine, now after installing biomod it runs like poo poo. More tinkering required.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just follow this 100% serious playthrough :v: And don't be afraid to experiment!

Oh and grenade-climbing to pay Skyscraper Max Chen a visit is a great idea, too

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

M.Ciaster posted:

Just follow this 100% serious playthrough :v: And don't be afraid to experiment!

Oh and grenade-climbing to pay Skyscraper Max Chen a visit is a great idea, too

Grenade climbing is always fun no matter what. I used it to have a conversation with Maggie Chow in front of her window, got to the top of the tallest building in the graveyard with it, and climbed to the top of the buildings before the Cathedral and sniped everyone with a Sawed-Off Shotgun.

I always make it a point to give the DTS to skyscraper Max Chen no matter how I play because it makes the whole quest about the DTS much more interesting and bizarre than doing it the right way.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

No-kill is either incredibly hard (when you're out of prod charges) or incredibly easy (when you have tons of tranq darts) and makes for an interesting game.

Stick with the prod

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

How the gently caress do you run out of prod charges? I have them maxed out the entire game. Explore more!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ultimate run. No augs, skills, bioelectricity, money, lockpicks, medpacks, multitools, items, or weapons. Obtain all codes/logins legitimately. :unsmigghh:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Carpet posted:

Stick with the prod

Just in case, though, we're police.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you haven't already done a playthrough following IT-HE's Sunglasses at Night antiwalkthrough, it's worth a go. Although I don't know if all of the tricks will work with Biomod installed.

Biomod itself adds a few challenges that it keeps track of, like On Site Procurement; you might find some of those interesting.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've decided to do on-site procurement, which I've never done before. It should encourage me to play differently from my normal style.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Make sure to shoot off all your guns into a trashcan at the start of a level, ammo should be part of the challenge.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

Make sure to shoot off all your guns into a trashcan at the start of a level, ammo should be part of the challenge.
This is a good idea, thanks. Didn't think of that, I forgot about the ammo system.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Just in case, though, we're police.

Might as well start using coke.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Quit screwing around.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Have you brought someone through the entire game with you? That's always fun. I knocked out a MJ12 Commando in France and brought him through the last third of the game with me my first playthrough.

My other gimmickwas throw away everything bar the starting pistol and a pack of smokes to a new area.

what a thrillll

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Anatharon posted:

Quit screwing around.

Have you brought someone through the entire game with you? That's always fun. I knocked out a MJ12 Commando in France and brought him through the last third of the game with me my first playthrough.

My other gimmickwas throw away everything bar the starting pistol and a pack of smokes to a new area.

what a thrillll

I brought the NSF leader after knocking him out to HK.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The tutorial doesn't really help in Deus Ex. Every single person I know who played the game recalls blowing their own legs off the first time they did the tutorial.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

The tutorial doesn't really help in Deus Ex. Every single person I know who played the game recalls blowing their own legs off the first time they did the tutorial.

This happened to me. :allears:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The only reason I didn't die in the Deus Ex tutorial is because the game doesn't let you.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

fleshweasel posted:

I'd argue that prepares you pretty drat well for what's to come. My first playthrough involved a lot of crawling.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

If you haven't already done a playthrough following IT-HE's Sunglasses at Night antiwalkthrough, it's worth a go. Although I don't know if all of the tricks will work with Biomod installed.

Biomod itself adds a few challenges that it keeps track of, like On Site Procurement; you might find some of those interesting.

It-he's walkthrough is great, but be aware that having UNATCO attack the vacuum cleaner and making the Bob Page hologram at Vandenberg run away (Simons' hologram on the ship still works) do not work in the latest version of the game. The vacuum thing has been confirmed, but I tried all sorts of ways to make Page's hologram run, but I got nothing.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Last time I tried at Vandenberg I could get his hologram to run on the spot in the projector and enter panic mode but nothing more. It took quite a few tries with the gas grenades to work.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How the gently caress do you run out of prod charges? I have them maxed out the entire game. Explore more!

If you're like me and must have every single thing, you can easily lose an entire prod mag to taking down a MiB/WiB. They take a knockin' and keep on rockin.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

New playthrough idea: blow off your legs, do the entire game without healing them.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Improvised weapons only: crowbar, fire-extinguishers, explosive barrels etc

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

No skills, no augs, no healing. Kill everyone.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Map the controls to a plastic guitar hero/rocksmith controller

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Only play at night with the lights out whilst wearing sunglasses.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cheat infinite throwing knives, no other weapons allowed.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Iron Man on Realistic! You could save at the start of each level for easy mode.

That or Nameless Mod if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The only weapons you're allowed to use are PS20s.