Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Tannin posted:

Hey again everybody, I've finally made it into Iceland and am currently staying in Hafnarfjordur. I wandered around downtown Reykjavik for a while this morning since my plane got in at 5:30 am, and it's great so far. I had a pylsur at the suggested place, good stuff. That lady is a whirlwind of activity. Anyway, I'm in town until Tuesday, is anyone else in town that would want to do some fun stuff and/or adventure in Reykjavik? I'll probably try to hike a mountain or two, and see the flea market on Saturday at least as per Deceitful Penguin's suggestions at the beginning of the thread.

Also ookuwagata, where did you get that crazy food?
:stare:
I don't know how I missed this post but I've been out of the town for the duration anyhow, a shame to have missed you.

inscrutable horse posted:

So, DP, what's your opinion on Egils Gull? :v:
The Faroese is better. As is the Christmas Beer. Eldvatn is also a pretty good vodka, for a Nordic one.

BadAstronaut posted:

Odin almighty I have not had a chance to be social to the congenial OP, but I will, sir, I will.
Sent you my skype on gmail, but don't worry too much, I'm plenty busy myself these days, whether with work, showing the GF around the country (she foreign) and preparing for school. We'll find the time.

Arkhamina posted:

OP - I was reading in the news about an 'earthquake storm' right now of one of the bigger volcano/fault lines. Do you worry or stress about those? Do you do anything to be prepared if there is a major eruption?
Nah. Most of the towns are out of major fields and while I now live on a second floor, we have a place in a secluded valley if the worst would happen.
Iceland isn't as reliant on sheep as it was the last time a major catastrophic volcanic event happened, which uhh, wasn't very nice.

But I worry little enough that I'm going closer to it tomorrow, headin' to my gran. I guess if the biosphere is going to die it's best to pick those berries now while we can. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoLordling
May 13, 2008

If you can read this Sarah Palin's dick must have fallen out of my mouth. Please return it to it's proper position.
http://www.jonfr.com/volcano/

This seems to be a blog about the state of the Bárğarbunga volcano under the Vatnajökull glacier.
A few years ago there was an active volcano under that glacier causing major air traffic issues

Any sites worth following to keep up to date on the current hot spot?

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I did a quick check. There might be something better and I'm not really sure about the dependability of this, but here are at least two links.

http://en.vedur.is/about-imo/news/
The news listing in English from the Icelandic Meteorological Office. A yellow textbox also informs if there is risk or not, but it is not linked to any RSS as far as I can see.

http://www.mbl.is/frettir/knippi/3305/
One of Iceland's bigger news sites, a collection of articles in English about the seismic activity.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh yea it erupted, bit smaller than we thought. Might get bigger I guess, but unless you were hanging around in the North-East or traveling through there it won't be too big of a hassle for now. Few roads cut and whatnot.

Oh and the Grapevine does live english coverage too and you won't be supporting the worst newspaper (mbl) by goin' there: http://grapevine.is/news/2014/08/23/breaking-news-small-eruption-reported-at-bardarbunga/

(unless you got adblock on I guess)

Edit: Apparently the coast guard are contesting that, haha. What a world.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 23, 2014

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ookuwagata posted:

Things I have eaten:
Hakarl: Quite good, all those television people that say it's the worst food in the world are babies. It's rather like a hundred year old egg with delicious fish flavor.

Pylsur: The sauces and crunchy onions were good, and the hot dog tasted good too. Good, but not as amazing as I was expecting. Really fast though. You pay your money and it's in your hand in less than 10 seconds. I have never had food this fast, and stood around like a moron for half a minute after it's done.

These two opinions side-by-side are awesome and you are fascinating for holding them. I remember thinking those drat hot dogs were the food of the gods and, well, to say that I did not enjoy hákarl is a mild understatement. I actually just felt awesome about the fact that it was not actually the worst thing I have tasted (that honor goes to some too-old Munster [not Muenster] I had in Paris) AND that I never even came close to gagging or anything; it was just an unpleasant experience eating literal garbage. Plus I do not drink so I washed it down with my mocha instead of the vodka shot :hellyeah: which incidentally does not actually get rid of the flavor :hellyeah:

Also the Grapevine sucks, huh? drat. I have loved that newspaper since I was doing research for my master's thesis in 2006 and came upon it and instantly decided I wanted to visit Iceland.

Wait, hold on, your parenthetical seems to mean something--oh. Morgunblağiğ. I have never even heard of/read this newspaper; apparently I am not missing much?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Quarex posted:

Also the Grapevine sucks, huh? drat. I have loved that newspaper since I was doing research for my master's thesis in 2006 and came upon it and instantly decided I wanted to visit Iceland.

Wait, hold on, your parenthetical seems to mean something--oh. Morgunblağiğ. I have never even heard of/read this newspaper; apparently I am not missing much?
Ah! Nonono, Grapevine is good. A bit pretentious in it's reviews but the journalism is sound. Guess I'll make a 3 minute primer about newspapers.

Good newspapers in Iceland:
DV - A bit tabloid, started as more of a gossip rag but is now the only major paper to do actual journalism, literally the reason Tony Omos wasn't ignored.
The Grapevine - Mostly aimed at tourists and foreigners but the writers are good and they manage to get most of the stuff that matters
Akureyri vikublağ: Good stuff in the North, DV lite, very strong on Social Justice fronts

Mediocre:
Vísir/Fréttablağiğ - Google-translated Reuters, character assassinating feminists, banal bullshit

poo poo:
Bændablağiğ - Not especially good coverage on the countryside, staunchly pro XB, the populist party (confusingly for Americans called the 'Progressive Party')
MBL or Morgunblağiğ - The Editor is literally the former PM who bankrupted the country with his neoliberal shilling, overtly right wing, racist and xenophobic.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

Quarex posted:

These two opinions side-by-side are awesome and you are fascinating for holding them. I remember thinking those drat hot dogs were the food of the gods and, well, to say that I did not enjoy hákarl is a mild understatement. I actually just felt awesome about the fact that it was not actually the worst thing I have tasted (that honor goes to some too-old Munster [not Muenster] I had in Paris) AND that I never even came close to gagging or anything; it was just an unpleasant experience eating literal garbage. Plus I do not drink so I washed it down with my mocha instead of the vodka shot :hellyeah: which incidentally does not actually get rid of the flavor :hellyeah:

The most unpleasant thing from Iceland I've had I've only tried yesterday (and it's technically it's really from Finland), Tyrkisk Peber, which I brought back. It's bitter, salty, sour and chemical. I am skeptical of the nutrition facts which make the claim that sugar is the main ingredient. It's like Indian mango pickle, except if you removed all the (sparse) redeeming qualities of it, replaced it with a poo poo-ton of anise and at the very end it burns like bathroom cleaner on your tongue.

I've eaten about a quarter of the bag by myself.

I am very strange!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

ookuwagata posted:

The most unpleasant thing from Iceland I've had I've only tried yesterday (and it's technically it's really from Finland), Tyrkisk Peber, which I brought back. It's bitter, salty, sour and chemical. I am skeptical of the nutrition facts which make the claim that sugar is the main ingredient. It's like Indian mango pickle, except if you removed all the (sparse) redeeming qualities of it, replaced it with a poo poo-ton of anise and at the very end it burns like bathroom cleaner on your tongue.

ookuwagata posted:

The most unpleasant thing from Iceland I've had I've only tried yesterday (and it's technically it's really from Finland), Tyrkisk Peber, which I brought back. It's bitter, salty, sour and chemical and at the very end it burns like bathroom cleaner on your tongue.

ookuwagata posted:

The most unpleasant thing from Iceland I've had I've only tried yesterday (and it's technically it's really from Finland), Tyrkisk Peber.

ookuwagata posted:

The most unpleasant thing, Tyrkisk Peber.

YOU SHUT YOUR LYING, HEATHEN MOUTH THIS INSTANT! Tyrkisk Peber candies are the fallen tears of angel kittens, and saying otherwise is a drat dirty lie! Are you a liar, ookuwagata? Do you want the terrorists to win?! Are you a communist?!?!

e:

Ahem... What I mean to say is that we take our salmiak liquorice very seriously.

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 25, 2014

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ookuwagata posted:

Tyrkisk Peber,
bitter, salty, sour and chemical
like Indian mango pickle, except
with a poo poo-ton of anise and
it burns like bathroom cleaner on your tongue.

I've eaten about a quarter of the bag by myself.
Oh I dig that, I bought this on a similar note https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracula_Piller

And ... oh my dear lord. I already knew I hated licorice, and this was like President Licorice of the United States of Licorice. Somehow I figured since it was called DRACULA and said "caramellur" or whatever that surely it would be, like, I dunno, spicy caramel or something weird. Whoops! Teehee. Ugh. And yet, we do agree with the "still ate quite a few by myself despite hating them because it was SO FASCINATING" point.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

YOU SHUT YOUR LYING, HEATHEN MOUTH THIS INSTANT! Tyrkisk Peber candies are the fallen tears of angel kittens, and saying otherwise is a drat dirty lie! Are you a liar, ookuwagata? Do you want the terrorists to win?! Are you a communist?!?!

e:

Ahem... What I mean to say is that we take our salmiak liquorice very seriously.
This is true. I am currently involved in a regiment of slowly teaching my gf to learn to love the Salmiak. It's a bit like heroin really, you might not like it at first but after a few times it grows on you.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I used to travel yearly to Iceland for the CCP internet spaceship fest and always stocked up on salt licorice. I found this local Icelandic salt licorice booze that 100% looks like motor oil... I savor a sip or two every months. No way anyone is ever exporting that stuff... When I was an exchange student in Sweden we would do 'peppar shots' using the bottom of a shot glass to smash up a Turkish Peppar candy, sweep it into a shot glass, pour moonshine over it.... Ah, memories...

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

You wouldn't be talking about Opal, would you? This link is to an online store where you can order various Icelandic product, including food, candy and liquor. Well, unless you're in the US, the store apparently doesn't have the permits needed to ship food/liquor to the US.

It's fun to note that the first four best-sellers in the candy category is all liquorice-based candy.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Nope, Opal is Fisherman's Friend cough drops in booze form, this is like very strong salt lakrids - no menthol notes. Also in a plastic bottle and a label that almost looks home printed. Plain yellow and white label.. I'll edit the post with a name and photo when I get home. I checked the various options at the site you linked...

My dog was trying to get my attention, so I added her to the photo. (She is a cutie) If anyone knows (OP?) where to get this stuff other than a) Iceland b) Duty free in Icelandic Airports I would be very happy to know where!

Arkhamina fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 27, 2014

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Iced Cocoa posted:

You wouldn't be talking about Opal, would you? This link is to an online store where you can order various Icelandic product, including food, candy and liquor. Well, unless you're in the US, the store apparently doesn't have the permits needed to ship food/liquor to the US.

It's fun to note that the first four best-sellers in the candy category is all liquorice-based candy.

Are the prices on that site similar to in-store prices in Iceland? Because I like aquavit and would love to try Icelandic ones, but this one is listed at USD $208 for a 500mL bottle. :psyduck:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Carbon Thief posted:

Are the prices on that site similar to in-store prices in Iceland? Because I like aquavit and would love to try Icelandic ones, but this one is listed at USD $208 for a 500mL bottle. :psyduck:
Pff, if peeps are really interested I can restart my 'Exchange Icelandic poo poo for foreign poo poo' program, where last I exchanged volcanic glass and chocolate for gemstones. (You may replace the gemstones with other stuff I GUESS). Although that one is Faroese and might be one of them fancy expensive dranks (What you say inscrutable?) but I might checkit out the next time I hit the monopoly.

Also no, quite a bit added. Check vinbudin.is for real prices, all in Icelandic though I'm afraid.

Arkhamina posted:

Nope, Opal is Fisherman's Friend cough drops in booze form, this is like very strong salt lakrids - no menthol notes. Also in a plastic bottle and a label that almost looks home printed. Plain yellow and white label.. I'll edit the post with a name and photo when I get home. I checked the various options at the site you linked...

My dog was trying to get my attention, so I added her to the photo. (She is a cutie) If anyone knows (OP?) where to get this stuff other than a) Iceland b) Duty free in Icelandic Airports I would be very happy to know where!
Ah ah! Gajol ain't Icelandic! But if you ache for that taste try ordering some 'Hot n Sweet' (exact spelling) and you might find a bunch of thangs.

Cute dog also.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 28, 2014

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Carbon Thief posted:

Well, if I'm understanding that page right, it's not one bottle you're buying, but a case of 12. A 500mL bottle like that would cost around 200 DKK (around 35 USD) if I were to buy it in the local monopoly. International freight and export tax might add a bit more, so let's say it would cost 50 USD to post a bottle of Haviğ to an arbitrary place in the world. 208 USD is pretty reasonable for a case of 12 bottles, IMO. I'd also say that Haviğ is worth the asking price. I hate aquavit in general, having grown up with the Danish Aalborg Akvavit, yet I find Haviğ to be eminently drinkable, particularly if you stick it in the freezer so it's nice and frosty.w

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I am blind.

Also eruption happening, apparently. So it goes I guess, until they decide it ain't.

Oh checked it out, guess it legit this time. Pretty. http://www.livefromiceland.is/webcams/bardarbunga/

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 29, 2014

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

e:

Hahaha, I brought Tyrkisk Peber to work, and surprisingly one person liked it. However, at the same time, she was convinced that it wasn't a candy people ate as a sweet, she was certain it had to be a cough drop, like ricola, or some sort of herbal candy for medicinal purposes.

The milder salmiak licorices were actually a big hit though at work. Everyone thought it was refreshingly minty, and helped to counteract the stench of passengers which view showering as a monthly thing.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

I doubt you can find the stuff outside of northern Europe, but you can mix your own!
Add a handful of tyrkisk peber or liqorice pastilles to a bottle of vodka and mix it somehow (scandinavians use the dishwasher) and voila.

This shop seems to sell liqorice in the US.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lima posted:

I doubt you can find the stuff outside of northern Europe, but you can mix your own!
Add a handful of tyrkisk peber or liqorice pastilles to a bottle of vodka and mix it somehow (scandinavians use the dishwasher) and voila.

hello, i try this recipe but it seems every time i take out bag and open it to pour in, it suddenly turn empty really quick! i not understand what could be wrong
also my mouth is now solid black

Ah, no wait, I try and be serious in this thread. Yea, this is pretty much what they do already for the 'Hot n Sweet' I prefer, you can also use Hockey Pulver if you can get that (I use that for individual shots) or anything really with salmiak, also fun is adding some chili for that Nordic/slavic mix or you can't get any ammonium chloride.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

Lima posted:

Fastest method would probably be to crush (or food process) the candies into small pieces (or dust) and funnel into the vodka, and give it a good shake. Should dissolve quickly. If after a few days the candies leave sediment behind (most likely in softer candies) strain it out with a coffee filter. I actually might try this, as soon as my steeping jar is freed up.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Pff, if peeps are really interested I can restart my 'Exchange Icelandic poo poo for foreign poo poo' program, where last I exchanged volcanic glass and chocolate for gemstones. (You may replace the gemstones with other stuff I GUESS).
Halló I would be interested in this. Okay maybe I just want some more of the hilarious bags from Bónus with the funny pig on them :shobon:

Ahhh I miss Iceland. I can send you crazy upside down Australian things if you (or any other Icelandic goons) are interested in exchange!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I should petition to change the title of the thread to 'Ask me about tourist stuff and spicy vodkas ITT'

combee posted:

Halló I would be interested in this. Okay maybe I just want some more of the hilarious bags from Bónus with the funny pig on them :shobon:

Ahhh I miss Iceland. I can send you crazy upside down Australian things if you (or any other Icelandic goons) are interested in exchange!
I have no idea what they have in the land down under, the closest I've been is Japan. Would be up for that 'fo sho.

Also pics from the good volcano place:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am glad to not be the only person who kept a Bónus bag because oh my god that pig. I love it. Baenus bag. Why does my phone not play nice with the forums :mad:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Quarex posted:

I am glad to not be the only person who kept a Bónus bag because oh my god that pig. I love it. Baenus bag. Why does my phone not play nice with the forums :mad:
I've sometimes considered getting that smug mug as an avatar, but could never think of a good enough text with it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

I've sometimes considered getting that smug mug as an avatar, but could never think of a good enough text with it.
Surely there is some way to make the Bonus slogan into a sexual joke. Or maybe it already is.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Quarex posted:

Surely there is some way to make the Bonus slogan into a sexual joke. Or maybe it already is.

Ekkert Bruğl doesn't really lend itself too much, 'cept mebbe no loving around.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Ekkert Bruğl doesn't really lend itself too much, 'cept mebbe no loving around.

I thought it was "Bığur Betur" nowadays

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

dor1 posted:

I thought it was "Bığur Betur" nowadays

Oh yea, so it is. The problems that come from never watching television...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I just got back from iceland (wish I'd seen this before). It was awesome and I want to proclaim Egals Appelsin as the best orange soda ever.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

nm posted:

I just got back from iceland (wish I'd seen this before). It was awesome and I want to proclaim Egals Appelsin as the best orange soda ever.
Egils isn't for anyone (hello Kitsch!, ya mook) but yea, it is pretty good and they make it into them freezy tubes.

And a shame, but that's life. Maybe we'll meet up next time.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
To rewind to the trading Icelandic stuff for other stuff topic, does anyone know the specifics on shipping liquor or other alcohol to or from Iceland? Everything on the internet seems to say it's impossible.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Iceland booze talk.
My brother went to Iceland a while ago and brought back some treats.
Firstly - Brennevin.

How should I drink this? It's been sitting in my freezer for about 6 months because I don't really know what to do with it... it's so green!

Secondly,
LAVA - icelandic bitter.

I have absolutely no idea what this is going to taste like, what to drink it with, etc. It just sounds... weird. 'Bitter' to me means beer (I'm from the UK), but this looks nothing like beer.

Help me get drunk icelandic style, please!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Brennivín should be drunk neat, preferably from a shot glass. Freezing it like you have is generally a very good idea, because aquavits have a ridiculously potent "taste". Depending on your courage, you might want to either start slow to get used to the taste, or to jump right in to get the "unique" taste over with.

I'm not personally familiar with Lava, but it's one of these kinds of bitter - think Jägermeister - and the same rules apply.

Have fun! :)

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Quarex posted:

I kept mine, and lost it somewhere on the way home :(

Unrelated, good to see this thread still going. I spent three weeks in Iceland over July and loved it. I have traveled a lot, and it is by far my favourite place I have ever visited. So much so that I am already planning another trip next year :)

I'd actually love to live there, but it looks like they make it a gigantic pain in the rear end for non-EU/EEA citizens to migrate there :(

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

tentish klown posted:

Iceland booze talk.
Firstly - Brennevin.

How should I drink this? It's been sitting in my freezer for about 6 months because I don't really know what to do with it... it's so green!

If you find the taste overwhelming or dislike it then you can always try the classic 'Karlakók' or 'Big boy coke' and just mix it with cola.
It's not good at all but teens drink it and it's better than neat if you don't like the taste.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I just saw the documentary about Iceland during the financial collapse called Blueberry Soup and it really sucked dick. Maybe I learned a little bit about the cultural aspects of Iceland but I didn't gather anything real about the political change during and after the financial collapse. It did interview several members of your `constitutional council' though.

Anyway, I've noticed that you've touched on the financial crisis a bit in your answers but can you give us like a really good "Longread" about what happened?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

tentish klown posted:

Iceland booze talk.
Firstly - Brennevin.

Shots. I actually liked it despite not being a huge fan of caraway.

The big icelandic beers (like gull/viking) kinda sucked. The smaller beers were decent, but oh my god expensive. How does Iceland stay so drunk on the weekends?

nm fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 24, 2014

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

nm posted:

Shots. I actually liked it despite not being a huge fan of caraway.

The big icelandic beers (like gull/viking) kinda sucked. The smaller beers were decent, but oh my god expensive. How does Iceland stay so drunk on the weekends?

Gull and Viking struck me as pretty standard bland industrial lager. I liked Gaedingur's Pale Ale though; I think its of comparable quality to some craft brews here in Northern California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My wife's complete beer snob friend who came to Iceland for our wedding said that the only beer worth drinking was Lava, but he did say it was not bad at all. Though I swear I just saw some other drink called Lava posted in this thread that definitely was not the dark ale he was drinking.

• Locked thread