Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I don't think PS has PVE or "quests". (Although it's been a long time since I played.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Johnny Law posted:

I don't think PS has PVE or "quests". (Although it's been a long time since I played.)

Because no one actually wants to do Exclamation Mark quests in an FPS.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

MrBims posted:

Because no one actually wants to do Exclamation Mark quests in an FPS.

Borderlands would like to say otherwise.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Getting kinda agitated by BTSX ep 2's penchant for teleporting/closeting in loads of revenants behind me, to be honest.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

KozmoNaut posted:

I played the poo poo out of a similar game, but the vehicles were Tron-style lightcycles only, complete with forcefields and stuff.

I can't remember the name, but I'm pretty sure it ended in -dome, too.

E: It was called Deathdrome (maybe a ripoff of the Necrodome name, both games came out in 1996).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R59SaWjP-G4

Deathdrome loving owned. It was basically a combination of TRON light cycles, Twisted Metal, and a little bit of Carmageddon. I remember you got a MERCY KILL bonus for killing drivers who were running around on fire and at the end of rounds a creepy computer voice would announce the PURGE as different sections of the arena were purified and everyone inside of them killed.

Game was great.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Prenton posted:

Getting kinda agitated by BTSX ep 2's penchant for teleporting/closeting in loads of revenants behind me, to be honest.
I never really much cared for any map that threw Revenants around like they were Health Bonuses, honestly. Like, I know Tarnsman says you can never misuse Revenants, but I can only put up with so many hordes of the things swarming me from every angle, shooting out randomly-homing shots that can randomly take 80% of my health (if I'm lacking armor, anyway) to dodge in addition to the fast-moving swarm. Now-and-then is okay; all the time, however... egh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RyokoTK posted:

I'm curious as to what you think the FPS analogue to World of Warcraft is.

edit:
vvvv Oh yeah. :shobon:

Planetside, Destiny, or Tabula Rasa.
Note that Tabula Rasa crashed hardcore. I think that's key.

Oh and that one MMORPGFPS that had a tv-show tie-in that I keep forgetting exists... Defiance!
So yeah, its definitely been done before. Romero is pretty naive here.

And even then, other people tried it and gave up because it has problems. There was a Halo MMO and a Fallout MMO that both got decently far into development only to disappear from existence forever.

Johnny Law posted:

No but Destiny and Tabula Rasa and Defiance and...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 10, 2014

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
None of those are really a good FPS analog to WoW. Planetside has the scale, but lacks everything to do with PvE or exploration. Defiance has the PvE and a bit of exploration but completely lacks in scale and has very barebones questing. Destiny is absurdly short and you hardly even see other players when out in the world, and it lacks any sort of social aspects whatsoever. I don't really count stuff like Tabula Rasa because that was more like WoW with a crosshair than a proper FPS. A real MMOFPS with RPG elements just hasn't happened yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Adam Bowen posted:

None of those are really a good FPS analog to WoW. Planetside has the scale, but lacks everything to do with PvE or exploration. Defiance has the PvE and a bit of exploration but completely lacks in scale and has very barebones questing. Destiny is absurdly short and you hardly even see other players when out in the world, and it lacks any sort of social aspects whatsoever. I don't really count stuff like Tabula Rasa because that was more like WoW with a crosshair than a proper FPS. A real MMOFPS with RPG elements just hasn't happened yet.

What system are you playing on? I have yet to be anywhere in Destiny that there aren't 3+ other players around, unless I'm in an instance where you're supposed to be alone. And as for social features, I'm really glad that it doesn't have voice chat by default, like Dark Souls, and interaction with random rear end in a top hat pubbies is more silent. How much social interaction do you do with random pubbies in WoW anyways? Have we forgotten Barrens chat already? In most LFR runs everybody ignores chat and even if you're yelling at them to not stand in the fire or for that one guy to go do a thing, they'll completely ignore it, an then wonder why they wiped. All the positive social interactions in WoW come from within your own guild. Meanwhile in Destiny I just started dancing with 3 random guys in the tower, we formed a fireteam, and then voice chatted while we killed bosses wandering around the overworld. And the FPS nature kinda inherently fights the social aspects some; that's how it has to be. How often are people social on call of duty or counter strike? You're too busy shooting things to care. Being on console makes it even worse, so there's no real easy way to just 'fix it'.

Game's only been out for 24+ hours though so... that's some fast judgement!

That said Destiny is definitely much more Guild Wars 1 or Diablo than it is Guild Wars 2 or WoW, but its not THAT different.

And it sounds like your reasons why Defiance didn't count are just "I don't like Defiance" which is fair, but... not really disqualifying. I mean if you're going to hold it to that high of a WoW standard, most MMORPGs don't count. Nothing holds a candle to WoW's content; its been out for loving ten years.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 10, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Adam Bowen posted:

Neocron was way back in 2002, and for a more recent example there is the recently released FireFall which is a modern MMOFPS with PVE and exclamation mark quests.

I just don't see how that is a meaningful distinction rather than semantics when we are talking about Romero's fascination with the idea. It is not a novel idea, it has been done many times, it just hasn't caught on to the mainstream except in some limited capacities.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 10, 2014

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Zaphod42 posted:

What system are you playing on? I have yet to be anywhere in Destiny that there aren't 3+ other players around, unless I'm in an instance where you're supposed to be alone. And as for social features, I'm really glad that it doesn't have voice chat by default, like Dark Souls, and interaction with random rear end in a top hat pubbies is more silent. How much social interaction do you do with random pubbies in WoW anyways? Have we forgotten Barrens chat already? In most LFR runs everybody ignores chat and even if you're yelling at them to not stand in the fire or for that one guy to go do a thing, they'll completely ignore it, an then wonder why they wiped. All the positive social interactions in WoW come from within your own guild. Meanwhile in Destiny I just started dancing with 3 random guys in the tower, we formed a fireteam, and then voice chatted while we killed bosses wandering around the overworld. And the FPS nature kinda inherently fights the social aspects some; that's how it has to be. How often are people social on call of duty or counter strike? You're too busy shooting things to care. Being on console makes it even worse, so there's no real easy way to just 'fix it'.

Game's only been out for 24+ hours though so... that's some fast judgement!

That said Destiny is definitely much more Guild Wars 1 or Diablo than it is Guild Wars 2 or WoW, but its not THAT different.

And it sounds like your reasons why Defiance didn't count are just "I don't like Defiance" which is fair, but... not really disqualifying. I mean if you're going to hold it to that high of a WoW standard, most MMORPGs don't count. Nothing holds a candle to WoW's content; its been out for loving ten years.

Wow, no need to get so defensive. The game is pretty fun and I like it so far, but it's ok to recognize its limitations. The social side of it is a mess, finding a team to do an instance is going to absolutely require using an outside tool to coordinate and the complete lack of any communication besides adding someone to your friend list is a ridiculous hindrance in an MMO. You can't even really socially interact with your guild/clan/whatever the gently caress it's called which is dumb as poo poo. I also think it's funny that you use the fact that you might see 3 other random people in a huge zone as a counter-point to what I'm trying to say. That pretty much just supports my point entirely.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Can we get the Destiny talk (and Adam Bowen) out of a rad thread that has nothing to do with either?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arivia posted:

Can we get the Destiny talk (and Adam Bowen) out of a rad thread that has nothing to do with either?

For sure. It is a pretty rad shooter though and you dudes should check it out.

In old school FPS news (And speaking of Romero and Minecraft); has anybody posted about Notch's web-based Doom engine work? He's been tweeting about it heavily, and Carmack has had a bit of a back-and-forth with him about how he's doing it. He's apparently sticking pretty hard to the original engine, including its limitations and bugs :)

Adam Bowen posted:

Wow, no need to get so defensive. The game is pretty fun and I like it so far, but it's ok to recognize its limitations.

I'm not super defensive. The game does have tons of flaws, which need to be improved. I just think its only being out one day means some of your criticism may not hold so strongly after you've played it awhile longer. Most of the people playing don't even seem to fully understand all of the options of the game yet, and so your limited experience could be colored by that. Am I not allowed to disagree?

I mean you could say that about anything.

"Doom sucks"

<explains why doom doesn't suck>

"No need to get so defensive" :smuggo:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 10, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Imagine a Doom MMO. Then dungeons would just be co-op Doom maps. "LF2M Shores of Hell, pistol start. please have at least level 3 shotgun"

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Something like that would be great, only if community content could be integrated into the main game (with some quality control of course) Having a proper Doom RPG campaign where you head back to a single location and then you choose to take on missions on a map screen, with each one being a megawad or something, would be pretty sick.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Zaphod42 posted:

In old school FPS news (And speaking of Romero and Minecraft); has anybody posted about Notch's web-based Doom engine work? He's been tweeting about it heavily, and Carmack has had a bit of a back-and-forth with him about how he's doing it. He's apparently sticking pretty hard to the original engine, including its limitations and bugs :)

Oooh, really? I'd been toying with the idea of doing a similar thing, but moving away from a lot of the limitations that aren't related to the ease of use of the map editor. I'll have to dig out Notch's twitter I guess.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Are there any wads aside from Hellbound that follow the same "Hell on Earth" scenario as Doom II?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Are there any wads aside from Hellbound that follow the same "Hell on Earth" scenario as Doom II?

This made me think of an idea for a Doom TC that borrows elements of Starfox 2. There's an overworld map with demon convoys transforming parts of Earth into Hell and you have to intercept them and stop them. The Overworld is still "playing" while you're in a map so you have to be careful, or else a demon strike could wipe out a human outpost while you're busy elsewhere.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Whispers of Satan maybe? http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/wos.zip

e: or Unholy Realms http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/megawads/ur.zip

Linguica fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 11, 2014

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Doom II Reloaded, which I'm irrationally fond of.

http://www.whatisblueandfurry.com/eschdoom/d2r.html

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Imagine a Doom MMO. Then dungeons would just be co-op Doom maps. "LF2M Shores of Hell, pistol start. please have at least level 3 shotgun"

Isn't this kinda what Stronghold is?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Borderlands 2 kinda filled the fps+dungeons thing for me, but being at higher difficulties really drop dependant and enemies having way too much health kills the pace of the game. Playing the first playthrough on normal entirely coop is a loving blast tho.

Fake edit: I'd love something more like Diablo 3 ROS adventure mode: open world with random rifts (dungeons) but the whole grinding toned down a lot. You just "farm" a few levels to get more hp and ammo capacity then is just pistol start for everyone or something like that.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 11, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

nexus6 posted:

Isn't this kinda what Stronghold is?

I suppose it is but in my theoretical Doom MMO people actually play it. Lots of people. I'm thinking, Guild Wars 2 with a plasma rifle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jblade posted:

Something like that would be great, only if community content could be integrated into the main game (with some quality control of course) Having a proper Doom RPG campaign where you head back to a single location and then you choose to take on missions on a map screen, with each one being a megawad or something, would be pretty sick.

There's a few wads that already do similar things, the stronghold mod or the mega man death match game both do that. And its awesome. But yeah if we could somehow do that across wads.... :allears:

E:FB

Segmentation Fault posted:

This made me think of an idea for a Doom TC that borrows elements of Starfox 2. There's an overworld map with demon convoys transforming parts of Earth into Hell and you have to intercept them and stop them. The Overworld is still "playing" while you're in a map so you have to be careful, or else a demon strike could wipe out a human outpost while you're busy elsewhere.

Yeah that sounds pretty awesome.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

We all have a little John Romero inside us :frog:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Guillermus posted:

We all have a little John Romero inside us :frog:

If I were John Romero I'd host an annual barbecue where people are invited to bring their coleslaw recipes for tasting and judgment. Call it "Design a Slaw."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If Muhammad were John Romero, he would have been told by Allah to design Islam.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
:eng101: If he was a landscaper would it design a lawn?

:frogout:

:eng99:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

If I were John Romero I'd host an annual barbecue where people are invited to bring their coleslaw recipes for tasting and judgment. Call it "Design a Slaw."
I remember hearing about one of those big events the publisher GOD did where Levelord was manning the barbeque and serving up burgers. What I wouldn't give to go back in time to that place.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Jblade posted:

I remember hearing about one of those big events the publisher GOD did where Levelord was manning the barbeque and serving up burgers. What I wouldn't give to go back in time to that place.
I remember going to E3 2000 when Gathering of Developers had their big "Promised Lot" thing across the street from the convention center with BBQ and pole dancers and whatever. I didn't really realize how ridiculous it all was at the time.

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
Was that the one with the midgets or was that another year? I remember reading about it in PCXL, which basically was my go-to rag for late 90s/early 00s FPS coverage. It was also pretty funny; then again, I was also in high school.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Possibly? I had the "good fortune" to go to E3 in the early 2000s which was the high point in over the top booths and PR stunts and wanton misogyny.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Were you there when George Broussard threatened that guy with a chair?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
So along with working on the Resident Evil Mod, DooMero just released a demo for Donkey Kong Country running on GZDoom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypeTDtm0cZI

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I feel like I'm missing something with the Romero "design" jokes.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Shadow Hog posted:

I feel like I'm missing something with the Romero "design" jokes.

During his Ion Storm days his motto for the company was "Design is Law!" Of course we see what that got us.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Romero should go back to what he used to love, and by that I mean drawing :nws:violent comics:nws:.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

laserghost posted:

Romero should go back to what he used to love, and by that I mean drawing :nws:violent comics:nws:.

I think everybody did that when they were 13.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I suppose it is but in my theoretical Doom MMO people actually play it. Lots of people. I'm thinking, Guild Wars 2 with a plasma rifle.
loving pre-ordered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Pengu! posted:

So along with working on the Resident Evil Mod, DooMero just released a demo for Donkey Kong Country running on GZDoom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypeTDtm0cZI

Why? Why.

Also why upload it at 240p?