Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

SRM posted:

I think Megabolters sound cool on paper, but if you're gonna take a superheavy, I feel like you should take something to deal with other superheavies.

The Baneblade would take offense to that statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

SRM posted:

I think Megabolters sound cool on paper, but if you're gonna take a superheavy, I feel like you should take something to deal with other superheavies.
Knights are weird in that they're not Lords of War. They'll therefore pop up in games without other superheavies, or with more limited competition, pretty often. Though then you hit the situation of judging if your list has enough ways to pulp Marines and/or Light Armor.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SRM posted:

I think Megabolters sound cool on paper,

Agreed, it's just a fun word to say tbh. Mega! Bolters! MEGABOLTERS!

Turbolasers vs Megabolters, who would win??

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Moola posted:

D-Cannon :awesome:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Moola posted:

Agreed, it's just a fun word to say tbh. Mega! Bolters! MEGABOLTERS!

Goku, obviously! The only time I've ever seen a mega-bolter on the table was when someone brought a Stormlord to a game and used it to fire on a tactical squad. 30 shots and he managed to kill 4 of them. :flaccid:

Question: A model is behind, not in, a ruin. What's its cover save? People around here can't decide if it's 4+ ot 5+.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Haha I never noticed that before

I'm fully charged and ready to empty my load!

Moola fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 10, 2014

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

What do people usually run in an all-Knights detachment? Are the Lancers worth the points, or should I wait to see the rules for the new variants coming out?

1500, 4 battlecannons
1850, 5 thermal

The battlecannon knights are better though. They can cause some pressure that works on everything and can help clear hordes. The only way I'd run the megabolter one is if it was cheaper then a battlecannon knight.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Whirlwinds were good in 4th and 5th, if memory serves. They were super cheap and could stay out of sight, definitely helped when that "models partially under the template get hit on a 4+" rule was removed.

Then again, assault cannons were so good back then it was the only weapon needed.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

Whirlwinds were good in 4th and 5th, if memory serves. They were super cheap and could stay out of sight, definitely helped when that "models partially under the template get hit on a 4+" rule was removed.

Then again, assault cannons were so good back then it was the only weapon needed.

Assault cannons were king of 4th edition. Rending on the to hit rolls was bonkers. Whirlwinds were worse in 4th, since you had to choose whether they'd be S5 AP4 or S4 AP5 with ignores cover. In 5th they were eclipsed by the Thunderfire Cannon, and now that that's barrage, there's literally no reason to take one.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I'm still not sure if I want to run a knight paladin or knight errant. I run it with tyranids, so anti armor is my main reason for taking one, so i lean towards errant. but the paladin is better overall.

With my latest addition, I can really run either gun counts as. (I have it magnetized though, so I can run any of them)

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

I'm still not sure if I want to run a knight paladin or knight errant. I run it with tyranids, so anti armor is my main reason for taking one, so i lean towards errant. but the paladin is better overall.

With my latest addition, I can really run either gun counts as. (I have it magnetized though, so I can run any of them)

Paladin man. 2 shot battlecannon is way better then the thermal since the melta effect doesn't work if it scatters outside of 18". Also the D hits and stomps will crack open anything you might have trouble with.

I've been monkeying around with lists at 1850 for Renegade. I'm right now considering one of three options:

2 knight paladins, white scar super friends command squad, 3 stormtalons, 2 scouts. Basically the 1850 version of my FoB list.

2 knight paladins, khan, 4 biker scout alpha strike, 3 stormtalons. I get a fun grav cav alpha, and lose the chapter master and command squad for the bike rush.

1 knight paladin, librarian on bike, 3 stormtalons, 50 marines melta ravenguard rhino rush. This is like my Darkstar list, replacing the chapter master and thunderfires with a knight. The libby is just the cheap HQ option.

I'm kind of digging the third list since it gives me my favorite MSU rush that has way more staying power then grav cav. The super friends list is fun, because 3 CC monster units running around is great (one of which can voltron objectives at the end) but it doesn't feel as threatening as the other lists.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
All Melta cares about is that the target and the gun are a certain distance apart. It doesn't matter where you place the template or where it scatters; if any part of the target is within 18" of the Thermal Cannon, you get double penetration.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I'll try both, but will likely run the paladin tomorrow. The list I'm thinking of now is two flyrants, 30 gaunts, half with devourers, outflanking, tervigon, two exocrines, a crone, a venomthrope and a zoanthrope, with an allied knight. That's right around 1850. Need to do the math.

Edit: comes to 1830. 20 points to work with!

Master Twig fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 10, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its kind of telling that no-one really cares about space hulk being re-released. I remember this thread when it hit the first time and it was insane.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

serious gaylord posted:

Its kind of telling that no-one really cares about space hulk being re-released. I remember this thread when it hit the first time and it was insane.

I care!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

serious gaylord posted:

I think it's cool, but I already have it and don't need it again. Mine's still in the shrink wrap.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

serious gaylord posted:

No one really cared when Space Wolves dropped either. Chalk it up to just general exhaustion over the 40k release schedule.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Everyone that has ever posted here is a scrub level grognard, including myself. From the Goon Lair thread:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

serious gaylord posted:

It's just an example of GW going to the well one too many times. Between price hikes, 7th edition being rushed out the door, and the ramped-up release schedule, they've burned out most of their customer base and people probably just don't care now. Plus there are way too many competitively-priced skirmish games out these days for Space Hulk to be a huge deal like it was in 2009.

Also there's the whole "Space Hulk 2009 is a limited edition thing, never to be made again...except when we need a cash cow to milk" feeling to this whole deal, as well.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The GW release schedule is one of the reasons I've been getting so into 2nd ed stuff. I can't keep up with this cavalcade of new models and rules so I just kind of ignore them until it's convenient for me and focus on models older than the target audience for this game.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I like it because I know at this rate they'll basically be done and next year hopefully focus on dataslates etc...

It'll be nice to have all the armies updated basically. I am not looking forward to the Necron Changes, but there is a chance we'll get Pylons so who knows.

I need to build out my Necrons more but having to much fun playing Chaos.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If it were a new edition of Bloodbowl or Necromunda I would be all over it. But it's not, it is just dusting off existing moulds to save money, despite the last release of SH leaving stacks of copies in my local GW for months.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kind of wonder if their going to "fix" the rules as well.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Kind of wonder if their going to "fix" the rules as well.

Were there serious problems the last time around?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Post 9-11 User posted:

Everyone that has ever posted here is a scrub level grognard, including myself. From the Goon Lair thread:

That is insane... (and inspiring!)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

That is insane... (and inspiring!)

Hey Ghost Hand, I just listened to Forces of Distinction: The Greater Good and I really think you ought to give Fire Warrior a read. It's written by the same guy who did Lord of the Night, Xenology, and a couple of excellent short stories, and it adds a very interesting layer to the total mess that was the video game. It also has some Ultramarines being sweet.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 10, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Sulecrist posted:

Hey Ghost Hand, I just listened to Forces of Distinction: The Greater Good and I really think you ought to give Fire Warrior a read. It's written by the same guy who did Lord of the Night, Xenology, and a couple of excellent short stories, and it adds a very interesting layer to the total mess that was the video game. It also has some Ultramarines being sweet.

Speaking of which, I was kinda disappointed Xenology wasn't mentioned more as it does have some interesting comments regarding Tau and Ethereals that was sorta mentioned in the beginning of the section. Granted some of that might be considered non-canon these days but it still has some interesting speculations regarding all the races. Good luck trying to get hold of that book nowadays though.
Also I think it was Nik Vincent who wrote those in this case.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

It'll be nice to have all the armies updated basically. I am not looking forward to the Necron Changes, but there is a chance we'll get Pylons so who knows.
If Necrons were going to get Pylons, they probably would have gotten them with the last codex update. I don't get why people ever get/got excited about Pylons though. They look tremendously boring and aren't as cool as something like the Tomb Stalker or whatever.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

If I remember correctly, Necrons no longer have Pariahs. So I hope they get Pariahs back. I think it'd also be a nice bone for the grognards if they got a formation that slightly incentivized those incredibly boring old 80-Warrior blocks.

Edit: I have not played against Necrons since 2006.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 10, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
cross-posting from the painting thread...

Better (but not great) pictures of the Imperial Knights I did for my friend:

All 3 have magnetized torsos for torso twist & transport

All the shooting weapons are magnetized as well

Did a lot on these, not 100% happy with everything on every model but at some point I had to call it finished.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I need to build out my Necrons more but having to much fun playing Chaos.
I'm betting the Catacomb Command Barge will take some sort of tweak, same with the Necron Flyers. I have money on Tesla getting changed to Living Lightning as well, so it only triggers when you don't Snap Fire. Then, of course, they'll be a giant kit or some sort of walker, maybe they'll tweak poo poo to make other units cooler, so on and so forth.

My only really wish list for Necrons is that they loving stomp on Mind Shackle Scarabs like they did to Deff Rollas. (Deff Rollas were cool and rad, MSS is just infuriating.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well it's rumoured Dark Eldar will get a LOW , or big "model". Orks got one, Space Wolves got one, Grey Knights didn't but they have the Imperial Knight.

The C'Tan w/ probably be moved to LOW and made beefier maybe, that's all I could see or the Tesseract Vault being a LOW.

They'll definitely change Tesla to what living lighting is. We'll see a increase in price of flyers probably.Any Characters that do not have models w/ be removed, which i don't think there are any of that ?

Any goons going to Mechanicon?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 10, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hollismason posted:

Well it's rumoured Eldar will get a LOW , or big "model".

They'll just make Eldrad a lord of war, same as they did for Ghazghkull. Eldar already got their big model, the Wraithknight.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Eldar already have a big model. It's so big it looks like it doesn't even belong in the game.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Well it's rumoured Eldar will get a LOW , or big "model". Orks got one, Space Wolves got one, Grey Knights didn't but they have the Imperial Knight.

Grey Knights got a Lord of War in Draigo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Should have changed that to Dark Eldar. I think they'll get a kit though maybe a bigger barge or something of that sort.

What I think is interesting is that their Fast Attack choices w/ prob include one of their open top transports and their battle brothers with Eldar so eldar may have access to a Open top Transport.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Dark Eldar need to get a (skimmer) chariot of some sort, it fits their theme so well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Won't be surprised if they get one as that is one of the rumours.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

I care. :(

Only because I didn't get the first re-release and it'd be something I could play with family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Modeling question. I picked up a bunch of Eldar reaaally cheap, which is great! But, my new Wraithknight a. didn't come with a base and b. is modeled in a way that I'm not sure how to put him on a base when I pick it up.

The left leg fell off in transit and obviously I can still pop out and reposition the right as well, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it work as is. Not really sure how to balance him, as with the current stance and leg out he'd be on one leg no matter what.

Ideas?

• Locked thread