Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Geoj posted:

Given the rate at which the DoD is fire-selling surplus equipment to state and local governments/law enforcement I'm kind of surprised its not a defanged Apache.

Only a matter of time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Geoj posted:

Given the rate at which the DoD is fire-selling surplus equipment to state and local governments/law enforcement I'm kind of surprised its not a defanged Apache.

Actually the USFS Cobras have been in service for quite a while; when the Army divests of expensive as gently caress equipment it might as well go to benefit local governments and the active (army) component hasn't been flying Cobras for like 20 years. In flight school I landed at Panama City and there was one in parking so I got to talk to the guys for a minute. Asked if I could trade him for the keys to my TH-67 and they said no, hehe.

There are probably gonna be a lot of sheriff departments picking up OH-58s on the cheap in the next couple years.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

There are probably gonna be a lot of sheriff departments picking up OH-58s on the cheap in the next couple years.

Is the FAA still having kittens about that airframe even though it's just a goddamn 206a? I had heard they were giving former -58 pilots the shaft on time accrued in those due to them being :airquote:experimental:airquote:...?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kerrow posted:

Nato Days comming up next weekend. I'm bringing my camera so I hope I'll be able to get some decent shots.

Here's a list of the stuff on display http://www.natodays.cz/on-display

S infront of the name means static display
D is flight demo
P is fly-by

Anything in particular you guys interested in to focus on? :)

Viggen and Draken?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PhotoKirk posted:

I forgot that NASA had them. We were driving north on i-45 and I lost my mind when I saw it. I spent about 20 minutes telling my wife how SUPER FREAKIN' AWESOME THAT WAS and she just stared at me.

It's a miracle that I found a woman to put up with me.

Now you need to find a WB-57

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Viggen and Draken?

Seconded. Also, Su-22, because of reasons.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Only a matter of time...

Does anyone know the history of this masterpiece? I first saw it in the late 90's so I assume it's less likely to be a photoshop. Did an off duty airman grab a camera and conspire with some jokers in Army Aviation?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Photoshop has been around since 1988, so don't discout that this might be an early 'shopped image. The rotor blur looks way too consistent and the trees aren't being blown around significantly at all, so it's probably a 'shop.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

DeusExMachinima posted:

Does anyone know the history of this masterpiece? I first saw it in the late 90's so I assume it's less likely to be a photoshop. Did an off duty airman grab a camera and conspire with some jokers in Army Aviation?

Of the hundreds of times I've driven by one of those "Speed enforced by aircraft" signs on I-81 in Virginia, I have not once seen an Apache hiding in the pullout lane between the north and southbound lanes :haw:

(True story: I once met a guy who did get pulled over "by aircraft". Cops had a Cessna or some such and radioed down to a squad car on the ground.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The aircraft patrol is sneaky because the radar detectors are useless! They just time you between painted lines or some such, on the highways here anyway.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

hobbesmaster posted:

Now you need to find a WB-57

Gotta go to Texas for those.

Or Kandahar until recently.

If we're talking cool NASA birds I think it's kind of cool that they have a MQ-9 and a Global Chicken, and I laugh every time I'm reminded that they still fly a DC-8. Was it in this thread or one of the other aviation focused threads that someone was posting a bunch of pictures from the Dryden/Armstrong fleet over the years?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
It wasn't NASA that was operating the WB-57 out of Kandahar, was it?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ehnus posted:

It wasn't NASA that was operating the WB-57 out of Kandahar, was it?

Basically. Same aircrews and maintainers...I can't remember what the breakdown was between who was federal employees and who were contractors.

There were obviously non-NASA reasons the planes were over there but from an O&M perspective on the plane itself it was the same folks who operate/maintain it in the States.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

Has to be a photoshop: if it was real only the cheese wheel would be unmasked above the tree line. Also it looks pretty fake.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Has to be a photoshop: if it was real only the cheese wheel would be unmasked above the tree line. Also it looks pretty fake.

Normally I'd assume it was shopped but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5Dxizy4ZE

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh ye of little faith indeed.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

Normally I'd assume it was shopped but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5Dxizy4ZE

You can do better than that for apaches pulling over speeding cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpTdVPfWllM

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

At Selfridge last weekend I saw a Blackhawk in black and gold livery that looked for all the world like a Macomb Co. Sheriff bird. I was, shall we say, pissed and couldn't figure out why MCS needed a goddamned Blackhawk until I got up on it and saw it was a Border Patrol bird, obviously for keeping the Canadians at bay.

Nope. They're for trolling down the beach in Miami, using binoculars to look at girls.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Nope. They're for trolling down the beach in Miami, using binoculars to look at girls.

The primary justification of ANY helicopter is to look at girls. Why do you think the 64 has all those cameras up front?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

MrYenko posted:

The primary justification of ANY helicopter is to look at girls. Why do you think the 64 has all those cameras up front?

It's helicopter classics night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFtJMZEthP0

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I would've paid good money to see their reaction for the fly-by. I really should've been a Warrant Officer.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Frinkahedron posted:

Of the hundreds of times I've driven by one of those "Speed enforced by aircraft" signs on I-81 in Virginia, I have not once seen an Apache hiding in the pullout lane between the north and southbound lanes :haw:

(True story: I once met a guy who did get pulled over "by aircraft". Cops had a Cessna or some such and radioed down to a squad car on the ground.)

I got a ticket that way on I-77 in between Canton and Akron in Ohio.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Flikken posted:

I got a ticket that way on I-77 in between Canton and Akron in Ohio.

drat, didn't realize they were doing that here.

Otherwise, I know Fantasy of Flight near Orlando likes to boast about how when they fly their Piper L-4J they cause people to slow down on the interstate (and have gotten a few complaints about it, apparently).

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

mobby_6kl posted:

Are you going there for both days? I'd join you but as I mentioned I'm already supposed to be at a wedding, though I might be able to slip out for the second day...

Also our American friends need to step up and send some F-15s ASAP.

Just saturday, unfortunately :(

The Osprey is nice surprise, though.

The others..noted. :)

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

This was an interesting Advisory.

quote:

ATCSCC ADVZY 010 DCC 09/11/14 UPS GROUND STOP
DESTINATION AIRPORT: ALL
FACILITIES INCLUDED: ALL
GROUND STOP PERIOD: 11/0315Z - 11/0430Z
REASON: AIRLINE COMPUTER ISSUES
REMARKS: STOP ALL UPS FLIGHTS REGARDLESS OF DESTINATION

14/09/11 03:35 DCCOPS./nfs/lxstn25

What do you think that was all about? Was it the crippled UPS plane that made an emergency landing at Chicago-Rockford? Maybe it was due to a solar storm? Or maybe it was just weather related.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Is that an E30 convertible?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

CharlesM posted:

Oh ye of little faith indeed.

"Eagle 974 roger! Can you give me the nature of your emergency?"

Oh to be a fly on the wall in the CO's office.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pivit posted:

This was an interesting Advisory.

What do you think that was all about? Was it the crippled UPS plane that made an emergency landing at Chicago-Rockford? Maybe it was due to a solar storm? Or maybe it was just weather related.

Says it right in the advisory: "Airline Computer Issues"

Which probably means dispatch/SOC or whatever the UPS equivalent is can't calculate final loads or something, or communicate final loads/w&b/etc. to the crew because their computer network/system is down or crashed or something.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

drat, didn't realize they were doing that here.

Otherwise, I know Fantasy of Flight near Orlando likes to boast about how when they fly their Piper L-4J they cause people to slow down on the interstate (and have gotten a few complaints about it, apparently).

The stateys do it all over, there are white marks on the highway that go perpendicular on straight stretches and the pilot does the stopwatch thing. Then radios it in to the troopers that are just sitting there.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Flikken posted:

The stateys do it all over, there are white marks on the highway that go perpendicular on straight stretches and the pilot does the stopwatch thing. Then radios it in to the troopers that are just sitting there.

Oh, I know OHP does that, I've seen the lines on the roads and what not, I just didn't realize they were patrolling that section of 77 specifically.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

Oh, I know OHP does that, I've seen the lines on the roads and what not, I just didn't realize they were patrolling that section of 77 specifically.

I got nabbed in 07, and I commute that way everyday and have only seen it again a handful of times.

ickna
May 19, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

If we're talking cool NASA birds I think it's kind of cool that they have a MQ-9 and a Global Chicken, and I laugh every time I'm reminded that they still fly a DC-8. Was it in this thread or one of the other aviation focused threads that someone was posting a bunch of pictures from the Dryden/Armstrong fleet over the years?

I think it might have ended up in the spaceflight thread at one point.

And here is a big pile of them.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

ickna posted:

I think it might have ended up in the spaceflight thread at one point.

And here is a big pile of them.

There is something very very strange going on with the plane at the top of centerline.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ardeem posted:

There is something very very strange going on with the plane at the top of centerline.

What, the Jetstar?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Madurai posted:

What, the Jetstar?

No, the twin tailed fighter(f-15?) below it, that seems to have asymetical wings and three shadows.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ardeem posted:

No, the twin tailed fighter(f-15?) below it, that seems to have asymetical wings and three shadows.

F-15 ACTIVE

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Ardeem posted:

It's this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-15_STOL/MTD

The weird shadows are from the angled-upwards canards

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Well, I was right about something weird going on with that one. Nice to know what it is!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ardeem posted:

Well, I was right about something weird going on with that one. Nice to know what it is!

What about the one next to it? I spent half an hour tracking down the Rotor Systems Research Aircraft. It's a Sikorsky helicopter chassis, with the rotor system of an SH-3, landing gear of an F-5, and engines of an S-3 bolted on. It's also a helicopter with ejection seats.

The reason it was so hard to track down is that there's no rotor system installed in that photo, with the SH-3 bits painted an exciting blue, so I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on with it, and wasn't looking in their helicopter section at all. The rotor bits are a nice color because it's in the middle of getting upgraded to the X-wing platform (shortly before the program was cancelled).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Check out this sexy beast. The XB-19 that first flew in 1941:

It could carry 37,000 lbs. of bombs vs. the B-17's 8,500 (the B-52 carries 70,000). Somehow hadn't heard about this one... Great story about it at Foxtrot Alpha:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/americas-real-wwii-flying-fortress-was-the-massive-doug-1632864365