Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Wait, is this another fan character or something official

because I have no way of possibly knowing

Part of the Archie comics. Literally Sonic from an alternate dimension where he and his friends are the Bad Guys. The current main writer have him a power up and made the character... less of a terrible fan character? But anyway, a former main writer sued Archie after getting mad about all of his Knuckles clone characters being copied by Sega or Bioware for that lovely DS RPG or some stupid poo poo, who cares, long story short, since " Evil Sonic" first showed up in a story he co-wrote, he's not showing up again because that whole cluster gently caress caused Archie to almost lose the Sonic license.

tldr: yeah sonic fans be crazy

Chibs fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

The Sonic comics probably have tens of thousands of characters by now.

But the games certainly aren't setting a good example.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

F. Lobot posted:

Less now, considering the above mentioned lawsuit.

It's kinda interesting to look at a list of the comic's characters and see that like 80% of them have been erased from existence.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stoat posted:

Hello I played a lot of demo and my hands hurt here are my ~gamer thoughts~

Mario
I think he is the strongest character in the demo except maybe Villager (hereby referred to by his canon name Dorpsbewoner.) I haven't found much use for Fludd and cape is still quite hard to use but his A moves and his Up+B are great. I think this is the strongest he has ever been.

Link
Has a new running A where he jumps forward and slashes, otherwise I think everything is the same move wise. He is much faster and might actually recover once now. He feels stronger but I haven't really played much Link since 64 so I can't really tell you if he's better than he was in brawl. Maybe?

Pikachu
Is really good, really quick, insane recovery. Side B really sends people flying now, and Down B goes through platforms and has a bit more punch to it. I think every character had their A smashes improved a bit and Pikachu is no exception.

Dorpsbewoner
The best character ever imagined by Sakurai. Plant a tree and chill by it. Drop a bowling ball off a ledge onto someone as they try to recover. Then chill again by tree. Oh cool fully charged shot Megaman let me borrow that. Oh cool beam sword. Oh cool loving any move in the goddamn game. It's going in the fuckin POCKET. This guy is the best character in the demo and also in the full game which I have never played. Two insane recoveries (although they do leave you open afterwards), his running A and bowling ball side A smash are insane, and you can STEAL LIKE ALL OF MEGAMAN'S MOVES THIS IS A HARD COUNTER WRITE THIS DOWN ON YOUR TIER LIST

Megam-... heh, it's actually "Rockman", sir
I... am not sure on this guy. I don't really like projectile characters so much and Megaman has projectiles in loving spades. B, side B, side Smash, down B, everything is a goddamn projectile. If you press down right after firing the buzzsaw he shoots it at his own foot so he can then pick it up and throw it as a weapon, like Snake's grenades in Brawl. His up and down smash are both pretty good and I guess he is fun but maybe not for me? Who even cares, Dorpsbewoner is too cool and will just put all your attacks into his magical pocket anyway.

So here is my tierlist:

Good tier: Mario, Pikachu, Link, Megaman
Beyond tier: Dorpsbewoner

Man I genuinely do not give a gently caress about tiers because I'm a dumb idiot scrub who likes keeping it simple, but there's something magical about hearing the character your excited about is actually a murder beast.

Edit: Didn't one of the sonic comic artist go nuts and try to sue sega for all of his echidna fan characters or something?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Chibs posted:

tldr: yeah sonic fans be crazy

The worst part is Sonic Team is just as bad. How did Sonic having a human love interest in Sonic '06 even get past the brainstorming stage let alone green lit? It's like Deviant Art itself designed that game.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Stoat posted:

Hello I played a lot of demo and my hands hurt here are my ~gamer thoughts~
[...]
Good tier: Mario, Pikachu, Link, Megaman
Beyond tier: Dorpsbewoner

What I'm getting from this is that Abitante is the new Meta Knight, which I believe establishes the precedent of the first newcomer revealed for each smash game being the god tier one, because these games follow such patterns

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I genuinely do not give a gently caress about tiers because I'm a dumb idiot scrub who likes keeping it simple, but there's something magical about hearing the character your excited about is actually a murder beast.

His forward A in the air is a slingshot and I was like oh god another projectile and then I hit someone with the very start of it and it's actually just a rediculous aerial with a little bonus projectile

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Tuxedo_Knux

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Stoat posted:

His forward A in the air is a slingshot and I was like oh god another projectile and then I hit someone with the very start of it and it's actually just a rediculous aerial with a little bonus projectile

Can you also pocket Murabito's slingshot rock?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i was into sonic as a kid but got weirded out growing up. annoyingly the more recent games since colours have been pretty good with a goofy saturday morning tv vibe until sonic boom came along and the wheels fell of the sonic wagon once more

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stoat posted:

One question if you get the chance, when the tree is fully grown you can run around and swing the axe at people (:stare:) any idea on if it's useful that way or just a waste of time? Also I heard if you plant a sapling and leave it alone it'll eventually grow on it's own, know if that's true?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Is calling the Villager other names a meme, I don't know what's going on.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Knowing that two people playing villager will inevitably become stuck in a game of hot potato with a fully charged something or other sounds great.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I heard if you plant a sapling and leave it alone it'll eventually grow on it's own, know if that's true?

From what I saw on streams it would just disappear. Fully grown trees will wither and die also.

Reiley posted:

King Dedede in French is Roi DaDiDou.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Edit: Didn't one of the sonic comic artist go nuts and try to sue sega for all of his echidna fan characters or something?

The fact that Villager's pocket move can pocket just about anything is amazing, and I'm not even that interested in playing as him. Someone said you can pocket Mega Man's leaf shield WHILE Mega Man is still wearing it, which is pretty funny. Did someone try out if you can pocket the water from Mario's FLUDD yet?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Wild Knight posted:

What I'm getting from this is that Abitante is the new Meta Knight, which I believe establishes the precedent of the first newcomer revealed for each smash game being the god tier one, because these games follow such patterns

Fox is also my favorite Melee newcomer. :v:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

On top of using the axe to hit people, Villager can push people really far away just by trying to water them. At least, that's how it was in the E3 demo. Someone try watering their opponent and see if they fly like a third to halfway across the stage. No damage from what I recall, just a whole lotta pushing.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Behold Ken Penders.

And despite everything, he's still trying to get his Completely Original Series with Totally Original Characters published.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i was into sonic as a kid but got weirded out growing up. annoyingly the more recent games since colours have been pretty good with a goofy saturday morning tv vibe until sonic boom came along and the wheels fell of the sonic wagon once more

the game looks not that good but the cartoon still looks fun, i'm looking forward to that. also sonic team is working on a new game for xbone/ps4/maybe pc? for 2015 that is unrelated to sonic boom

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Fox is also my favorite Melee newcomer. :v:
well look clearly melee was too early to be following any precedents and clearly was the precedent establisher

Reiley posted:

go check out the site in other languages, it is the best thing

especially this one, made my night

Suspicious Cook posted:

King Dedede in French is Roi DaDiDou.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Wild Knight posted:

especially this one, made my night

It's even better when announced.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

F. Lobot posted:

What's the story behind blonde Robotnik over on the right side?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Well Marth was like the first unlockable newcomer in Melee.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I think that was his dad?
It was the one who made Shadow I think.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Eggman Nega from Sonic Rush

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Oh hi there totally-not-Knuckles.

Like seriously, there was a side story where he had Knuckles look pretty much exactly like this. That side story was poo poo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Spanish is my first language. Therefore, I feel the need to say holy poo poo does Dedede's name sound stupid when the Spanish announcer says it. It's how it'd be pronounced in Spanish but it doesn't sound okay at all. The Japanese version uses the same sound for "de", but puts strength in the first "de", which sounds quite a bit better, they should've gone with that. Or you know, stick to the English pronunciation, that's fine too.

Also I like Villager's Spanish name, Aldeano. It's just a straight translation but it sounds nice enough and it has rural connotations so it works perfectly. That said, nothing is quite as funny as Dorpsbewoner, and I really like how the announcer hammily says Murabito. Maybe Villager is just great in every language.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Umbilical cord... :psyduck:

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

Vanrushal posted:

The Sonic 2006 LP was magical

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vanrushal posted:

It's a parody image, you realize.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Prof. Gerald Robotnik, Dr. Eggman's grandfather, and creator of Shadow the Hedgehog. He's cool imo

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I want the german announcer

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vanrushal posted:

The umbilical cord is also a character.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Endorph posted:

It's a parody image, you realize.

You could have told me that was all official concept art and I would have believed you.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

One question if you get the chance, when the tree is fully grown you can run around and swing the axe at people (:stare:) any idea on if it's useful that way or just a waste of time? Also I heard if you plant a sapling and leave it alone it'll eventually grow on it's own, know if that's true?

Yep. Planting a seed and watering can both don't do anything to enemies (the watering can MIGHT knock back a bit like Fludd?) so I think Axemode is the only really useful one as an attack. I used it a bit, it's a bit slow but it felt like it had some good whack behind it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

mabels big day posted:

I want the german announcer

SHIGGY

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stoat posted:

Yep. Planting a seed and watering can both don't do anything to enemies (the watering can MIGHT knock back a bit like Fludd?) so I think Axemode is the only really useful one as an attack. I used it a bit, it's a bit slow but it felt like it had some good whack behind it.

Fair enough! Thanks for the answer.

Other news, turns out megamans panic button may not be as good as advertised

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
So I guess it turns out that the Donkey Kong Jr./Emolga leak was real:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

bonzibuddy64 posted:

So I guess it turns out that the Donkey Kong Jr./Emolga leak was real:

Holy....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

darealkooky posted:

this is it

this is peak 90's comic books

He only became Scourge after 2006 though, when the current writer took over the comic.
Oh and I probably should mention that said current writer is a goon and he occasionally posts about his work.

• Locked thread