Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
IEMs block more sound than almost all headphones by nature because they are sealing your ear canal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

So my AKG Q701 arrived today and holy poo poo these are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. They put my K240 and old Sennheiser 555 to shame. If it weren't for the fact that they are pumping music into my ears I could almost forget that I'm wearing them at all, which is amazing given how gigantic they are.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Is there a decent set of really solid earbuds? I buy some cheap ones every few months but I keep dropping my phone or ripping them out or something because they invariably lose sound in one side at the base (if I wiggle the wire next to the plug I can get sound back) and it's beginning to really annoy me.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Midorka posted:

My advice is to not worry about a portable amp. They add bulk and take away from the point of being portable. A lot of people are fine with the size/weight, but to me, someone who wears clothes that fit properly, it's way too bulky. My suggestion would be to get a Sansa Clip+ for portable use and a Schiit Modi/Magni stack for home use. Portable set-ups should be just that, portable.

Just my $0.02.
The portability part of it would be only for use in small cases where I need to run through a DJ set or similar on my way to a venue and need proper sound for it, otherwise this thing will sit neatly on a desk just as a USB DAC. I did in fact go for the E18 just because I use a pair of MM550s for travel and commuting and having the E18 as a charger for that headset (since it warns you about 3 minutes before it dies to power loss) if I somehow forgot to charge them.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Xiaomi Piston Chat: Does anyone know the name of those replacement rubber tips you can get for them? The rubber tips that came with the set tend to not seal very well and as a result they fall out of my ears while I'm working sometimes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Segmentation Fault posted:

Xiaomi Piston Chat: Does anyone know the name of those replacement rubber tips you can get for them? The rubber tips that came with the set tend to not seal very well and as a result they fall out of my ears while I'm working sometimes.

Most replacement tips on the market will work fine. Just don't get Etymotic, Klipsch, Shure or Westone

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Sup folks. I'm wondering if there is a decent set of Bluetooth in-ear monitors around. Right now I'm using some Klipsch S4i earbuds/IE monitors while I do activities that result in using loud goddamn things. For mowing the yard I have some hearing protection gear but inside I just rock the earbuds.

Basically I'm tired of wrestling with the cord and want to eliminate that one thing. Decent sound is appreciated but I'm not some aficionado by any means.

Budget - $100 about
Source - Phone
Isolation Requirements - Closed. Trying to seal out loud sounds of poo poo like vacuums and lawn mowers
Preferred Type of Headphone - In-Ear monitors.
Preferred Tonal Balance - what?
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD-555, Klipsch S4i
Preferred Music - anything goes and podcasts

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Do those stereo to usb adapters screw with sound quality at all? I got a busted port on my computer and I kinda need to have my headphones plugged in near the front

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

lil baby anime posted:

Do those stereo to usb adapters screw with sound quality at all? I got a busted port on my computer and I kinda need to have my headphones plugged in near the front

You're replacing whatever soundcard is inside your computer now with a different soundcard that happens to be connected via USB. Just don't get a total crap one and you'll be fine.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014

Midorka posted:

So these arrived today:

I've had them on for less than an hour, but will gladly take any questions.

Nice! What do you think so far? I was in the market myself, but opted for the Sennheiser 650's instead. I got a pretty good deal on them and couldn't justify the price of these ones.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

db franco posted:

Nice! What do you think so far? I was in the market myself, but opted for the Sennheiser 650's instead. I got a pretty good deal on them and couldn't justify the price of these ones.

The HE560 are light, comfortable, and sound incredible. The praise for these would be immense if Audio Technica or Oppo made them. The build quality is atrocious for a headphone at this price point and anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Open question for advice - i've got a pair of Sennheiser HD-251 ii and they are now scratchty/struggling for noise production if the cable is at a certain angle. almost certain i need https://www.storedj.com.au/products/SEN-HD25RA2MCABL replaced (im in Australia)

is it worth me spending 90 bucks to replace this cable or the sennheiser's a bit out of date now?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I've been using a pair of Hifiman RE-0 in-ears for a while now and have absolutely loved them, but the cable has finally fallen to bits on them. I'd like to get some suggestions on a replacement, possibly moving to a pair of supra-aural headphones.

Budget: around $100
Source: Computer's on-board sound, Sansa clip+ through a Fiio E5 amp
Isolation: Definitely
Preferred type of headphone: Supra-aural, maybe in-ear
Preferred tonal balance: Neutral, balanced, like the RE-0s
Past headphones: Only the RE-0s, really. Overall a great pair of in-ears but a bit fragile
Preferred music: Metal, punk, jazz, classical, hip hop. I'd also like to use them for movies and games on my computer

edit: also if anyone can recommend a place to buy in Aus, that'd be great.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 9, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Open question for advice - i've got a pair of Sennheiser HD-251 ii and they are now scratchty/struggling for noise production if the cable is at a certain angle. almost certain i need https://www.storedj.com.au/products/SEN-HD25RA2MCABL replaced (im in Australia)

is it worth me spending 90 bucks to replace this cable or the sennheiser's a bit out of date now?

They're still very respectable headphones.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
Budget: ~250$ - this is skewed as poo poo in Eastern Europe tends to be more expensive, for example a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 is around 330$ here and it's around the upper extreme of the budget i want to cough up for a pair for refference.

Source: Asus Xonar STX or STX2, differences are probably minimal but i'm likely to be dumb and get the STX2

Isolation: Irrelevant, this is for home use entirely though i am taking suggestions for a cheaper, closed solution for traveling, eying the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for those purposes atm

Preferred type of headphone: Over-ear

Preferred tonal balance: Neutral-slightly warm sound signature, clear strong bass (i'm not a basshead but i do like my bass), really good mids, more relaxed/not-bright highs.

Past headphones: Sennheiser HD 449 is what i'm using now and the only ones worth mentioning.

Preferred music: Varies from time to time since i get a bit OCD about a genre of music once i start picking it up, definitely listen to a lot of electronic and alternative, but i will listen for sure to a lot of jazz and classical as well.

Like i mentioned at the start of this i'm really looking to save up the cash for a pairt of HD 598 and an extra pair of something cheaper that i may use on the go like the Audio-Technica ATHM50 but i'm fully open to suggestions and advice.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

You could forgoe the idea of two pairs and get one pair for both. The InEar StageDiver 2 are up your alley. I'm in love with them.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

Midorka posted:

You could forgoe the idea of two pairs and get one pair for both. The InEar StageDiver 2 are up your alley. I'm in love with them.

uaciaut posted:

Preferred type of headphone: Over-ear

My ear canals are p weird plus i genuinely like over-ear more.

I AM tempted to get HD600 instead of 2 pairs but i'm still trying to educate myself over that being a good choice. I mean getting to have an extra pair of headphones and getting a better feel for how different headphones sound may be worth more than the difference in sound quality/accuracy between an HD 600 and an HD 598 (in this example).

Also i've heard the Asus XONAR STX1/2 soundboards have noise issues with very sensitive headphones, can someone confirm/deny?

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

eddiewalker posted:

They're still very respectable headphones.

thanks for the response. I seemed to remember they sounded great when they worked properly but wanted to make sure I wasn't flogging a dead horse.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I won't regret impulse buying a pair of Sennheiser Momentum since they were at 25% off right? Right?

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Never - impulse buying is best buying

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

averox posted:

Sup folks. I'm wondering if there is a decent set of Bluetooth in-ear monitors around. Right now I'm using some Klipsch S4i earbuds/IE monitors while I do activities that result in using loud goddamn things. For mowing the yard I have some hearing protection gear but inside I just rock the earbuds.

Basically I'm tired of wrestling with the cord and want to eliminate that one thing. Decent sound is appreciated but I'm not some aficionado by any means.

Budget - $100 about
Source - Phone
Isolation Requirements - Closed. Trying to seal out loud sounds of poo poo like vacuums and lawn mowers
Preferred Type of Headphone - In-Ear monitors.
Preferred Tonal Balance - what?
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD-555, Klipsch S4i
Preferred Music - anything goes and podcasts

I'm looking for pretty much the same thing. I have a pair of Kinivo BT220's but the plastic band on the back makes it useless for lying down. In ear ones would be great like
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1629248706/earin-the-worlds-smallest-wireless-earbuds
Would be best but these aren't out until next year.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'm in the market for two different sets of headphones, hope you guys can help me out.

Awesome IEMs for plane travel:

Budget: $500+
Source: iPhone / iPad
Isolation: As much as possible.
Preferred type of headphone: IEM
Preferred tonal balance: I have no idea, balanced?
Past headphones: Various inexpensive "noise-isolating" IEMs
Preferred music: TV/movies (lots of dialogue), pop/acoustic music

I'm willing to splash out here for a really good set of IEMs that will let me shut out the world on long airplane flights (8+ hours). It would be a bonus if they were comfortable to sleep on, i.e. if my head ends up mashed against the wall or my inflatable pillow. I mostly watch TV/movies, so being able to hear the dialogue without getting my ears murdered by explosions and loud sound effects is a must.

Wired headphones for work:

Budget: <$300
Isolation: No.
Preferred type of headphone: Over ear
Past headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

I just snapped my Sennheiser 280s by forgetting which set I was wearing (I have some MMElectronics AirFi Bluetooth headphones I sometimes use that have the adjustable band) and trying to tug one of the ear cups down a little lower. I've had these for a long time and have been very happy with the comfort and sound quality. Things I'd like in a new pair:

* Easier to quickly take on and off
* Long cord
* Possible to pause iPhone/iPad with button on the headset? (That may only be a bluetooth thing.)
* Something that doesn't mash my hair quite as badly (this is pretty optional)

I don't know if any of these are possible, but figured I'd ping you guys.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Giraffe posted:

I'm in the market for two different sets of headphones, hope you guys can help me out.

I'm willing to splash out here for a really good set of IEMs that will let me shut out the world on long airplane flights (8+ hours). It would be a bonus if they were comfortable to sleep on, i.e. if my head ends up mashed against the wall or my inflatable pillow. I mostly watch TV/movies, so being able to hear the dialogue without getting my ears murdered by explosions and loud sound effects is a must.
I have to glowingly recommend the InEar StageDiver 2. They can be had for $450 and are ridiculously good sounding to my ears. One of the few headphones over $200 where I feel they are worth every penny.

quote:

I just snapped my Sennheiser 280s by forgetting which set I was wearing (I have some MMElectronics AirFi Bluetooth headphones I sometimes use that have the adjustable band) and trying to tug one of the ear cups down a little lower. I've had these for a long time and have been very happy with the comfort and sound quality. Things I'd like in a new pair:

* Long cord
* Possible to pause iPhone/iPad with button on the headset? (That may only be a bluetooth thing.)

I really like the Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs. They are neutral with a great sound and a removable cable. Comfy and well worth their money.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Giraffe posted:

For IEMs in that price range have you thought about getting customs? I went from Shure iems to custom ones from Noble and I don't think I could go back. Technically foam can isolate a little more, but my acrylic customs are great for long plane rides (have done 18 hours in total comfort including head on pillow time).

If you could swing a silicone model it would isolate more and maybe be even more comfortable.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

ilifinicus posted:

I won't regret impulse buying a pair of Sennheiser Momentum since they were at 25% off right? Right?

Oh poo poo where?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

Oh poo poo where?
Coupon my little brother got that he handed to me, sorry.

thevortex
Jul 2, 2002

RETURN... FROM WHENCE YOU CAME!
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some new IEMs to replace my MEElectronics A161P's.

Some background: I love these headphones. I like the sound so much that I keep buying new pairs after they break every year or so. Unfortunately, they've been discontinued. Some Amazon resellers still have them, but that's not really a great solution considering how quickly I go through them. So I'm looking for something that sounds like these, that will hopefully last a little longer. If I could get a bump in sound quality or soundstage, that'd be awesome too.

Budget - Looking somewhere between $75-$150, but I wouldn't mind going higher for something that would last.
Source - iPhone or laptop.
Isolation Requirements - I usually use foam eartips, so it hasn't been much of an issue. I'm not too sensitive to it, at least.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. I use them for commuting, so they should have a remote.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Mostly neutral, clear throughout. I mostly focus on guitars and vocals, so those should be loud and clear. Bass is less important, I usually prefer punchy without being booming or overpowering. I like to hear the bass more than feel it.
Past Headphones -

Etymotic HF5: I loved the sound quality, but they were kind of boring. Maybe a little too neutral.
V-Moda something or other (Whichever one the wirecutter recommended). I hated these. I felt like I was listening through mud, and had a hard time focusing on the music. Returned them after a few days.
Woodees Blues: A little too warm, but I still liked them. They broke inside the 30-day return period, so I returned them and got the 161Ps.
Monoprice 8320: I liked the balance of these, but the quality wasn't great. Kind of harsh. These are still my backup headphones.
Panasonic RPTCM125K: These were OK, I think. I actually don't remember if I liked them or not.

Preferred Music - Mostly blues rock, 90's alternative, and classic rock, with some EDM thrown in.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Midorka posted:

I have to glowingly recommend the InEar StageDiver 2. They can be had for $450 and are ridiculously good sounding to my ears. One of the few headphones over $200 where I feel they are worth every penny.
How is the noise isolation? Would they block out most/all of the background noise of an airplane?

Ultimate Mango posted:

For IEMs in that price range have you thought about getting customs? I went from Shure iems to custom ones from Noble and I don't think I could go back. Technically foam can isolate a little more, but my acrylic customs are great for long plane rides (have done 18 hours in total comfort including head on pillow time).

If you could swing a silicone model it would isolate more and maybe be even more comfortable.
Holy moly, I didn't even know such things existed. Those look awesome. I don't know if I can do it, though. I had thought my budget was obscene already, not sure I could sell these to the wife. Tempting, though. I'll have to ponder this one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Giraffe posted:

Holy moly, I didn't even know such things existed. Those look awesome. I don't know if I can do it, though. I had thought my budget was obscene already, not sure I could sell these to the wife. Tempting, though. I'll have to ponder this one.

You can get some pretty decent customs well within your price range. You could also get something like a Rock-It R50 and have custom silicon sleeves made for well under your max budget.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Giraffe posted:

You will technically get the best isolation from foam tips inserted properly, but a well fit silicone custom will be dang good and extremely comfortable. Acrylic can also be great, its what I have and isolation and comfort are out of this world good (just a notch below in isolation, and silicone is flexible so some people prefer that).

You can totally find a custom option in your price range. As a veteran traveler, I can't imaging using anything else now.

If you go for a universal iem, get something that works with the Shure 'Black Olive' tips. Those have by far the best comfort and isolation in anything I ever used, and I have an extensive tip collection (which now just collects dust).

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Giraffe posted:

How is the noise isolation? Would they block out most/all of the background noise of an airplane?

Any iem that has more than a shallow insertion will be fine for traveling, but the StageDiver 2 blocks out enough noise to make conversation very hard with no music playing.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I bought a Sennheiser PC 350 headset in November 2012 and I've loved it the whole time except now the microphone doesn't work at all. I spent all last night thinking it was a software issue related to my recent new computer and installation of W8.1 but testing it on another computer, it looks like its a hardware issue. Tried both jacks on my machine, tried it on my another one and headphones work and microphone is recognized but picks up no sound.

Two year warranty runs out in November, does anybody have experience with Sennheiser warranties/customer service? I got it officially and legit from Amazon but I never registered it with Sennheiser, is there anything I should be prepared for when I call them up tomorrow?

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Looking for a new set of headphones for work.

Budget: $200-$300, but lower is preferable.
Source: desktop PC, no amplifier.
Isolation Requirements: Don't know what I'm looking for. Anything that blocks out office noises (typing, people talking, etc).
Preferred Type of Headphone: Closed.
Preferred Tonal Balance: Balanced, I suppose.
Past Headphones: ATH M50: these are what I use currently at work. They're okay but uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time, I have to keep taking them on and off when it starts getting painful.
Preferred Music: Hiphop mostly.

My main two concerns are comfort and sound leak. These are headphones I want to be able to wear for a long period of time in an open-plan office, so they need to be comfortable and leak as little noise as possible. Sound quality is a secondary concern - anything roughly at the same level as the M50s is great. What're my options?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Giraffe posted:

* Long cord

Shure SE 846 IEMs. They cost 1000 dollars but are worth it to my ears. I bought a pair, listening to them now actually. Three filters to vary the sound signature with amazing detailed but rich bass. If you can find a place to listen to them I would. Basically you never need another pair of headphones after them.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

How long have you had the SE846 and how many cables have you gone through?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Midorka posted:

How long have you had the SE846 and how many cables have you gone through?

About three weeks. It comes with two cables. They are two different lengths. They use the Shure connector so they pop on and off easily. Cables are all fine. You can also buy a cable with a microphone to make calls. You can also get custom molded Sensaphonic molds that the earphones fit into so you get a custom fit with universals. That is where I am headed eventually.

I should also mention that the cables have kevlar in them, and there is a two year warranty on the earphones, if anything breaks on them Shure will replace them. They have amazing customer support. Some people who had the SE513 had their broken pair replaced with SE846s, which are 500 dollars more.

I also own their flagship closed headphones the 1540. They sound absolutely amazing, and are 500 dollars. They have amazing resolution, deep detailed rich bass, and they almost sound like an open headphone, the music does not sound like it is right in your ear. I would highly recommend them for an over the ear. Aircraft grade aluminum, alcantara earpads with memory foam, and carbon fiber on the cups. I have them paired with an audiophile sound card in my PC and they are a dream to listen to.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 18, 2014

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm looking for a new set of headphones for the office and occasional travel - can anyone make a recommendation?

Budget: Up to £100 (about $160).
Source: Normally an office PC, sometimes a laptop or iPad if I'm travelling.
Isolation requirements: Significant. I'm in a shared office, so I need to be able to block out other people slurping coffee while not having anyone else able to hear my music. There's also a loud and horrible low-frequency background noise that comes and goes occasionally - I think it's car engines idling on the road nearby combined with a really unfortunate resonant frequency of the room.
Preferred type: Ideally IEMs - I normally find on-ear headphones with good isolation uncomfortable to wear.
Preferred tonal balance: I don't know enough about headphones or sound to have an informed opinion.
Past headphones: I use a pair of Sennheiser HD202s at home and like them - the only reason I'm not using them in the office is that they have poor isolation. My current office headphones are a pair of no-name IEMs that came with my Roku. I'm replacing them because they have almost no bass, to the point where if a song has e.g. a bass solo then it will be almost inaudible.
Preferred music: Mostly rock and metal of all kinds, with occasional folk and chiptunes. I'll also sometimes use them for games or movies/TV while travelling.
Other requirements: They need to be available in the UK, and durable enough to withstand being accidentally run over by an office chair a couple of times when they inevitably get knocked on the floor.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Rock-It R-50 for sure. They make guitars sound like heaven.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
For the price how are the HD598s? I am thinking about getting a new set of opens for my home listening (computer/ipad/etc) and had a set of Sennheisers I liked back in the day.

Best price I have seen is about $250 in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Midorka posted:

Rock-It R-50 for sure. They make guitars sound like heaven.

These don't seem to be available in the UK, and they seem to be fairly scarce in the US as well - the only set I can find based on a quick search would need to be shipped from Japan. That would involve some hefty VAT and customs fees, so I'd rather avoid it if possible. Are there any other reasonable options?