Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
It's always remarkable how certain writers can land so hard with some books and whiff completely with others. I could gush about Cornell's work on DC's Demon Knights but his Wolverine is wholly unremarkable, especially following Aaron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, no one can consistently bring out their A game book after book, and sometimes a tone that works for one situation just doesn't mesh with another.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That, and sometimes you can tell when a writer is given a juicy assignment that he'd be a fool to turn down, but just can't deliver.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, I guess a paycheck is a paycheck, but you can easily tell whether or not a writer actually had an idea going into the book. Also, if you are forced to write some editorial mandated storyline, your creativity is probably somewhat hampered.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Man, I really love this Nightcrawler book. It's just the perfect mix of silly adventures and silly melodrama that screams X-Men.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
WATXM is officially getting retooled as Spider-Man and the X-Men in December. The book is being written by Elliott Kalan from the Daily Show, which seems like a big step up from Latour's really mediocre run right now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh God Spiderman is going to replace Wolverine when he dies?

He will be in every book to come out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HorseRenoir posted:

WATXM is officially getting retooled as Spider-Man and the X-Men in December. The book is being written by Elliott Kalan from the Daily Show, which seems like a big step up from Latour's really mediocre run right now.

That seems kinda silly, it made sense for Johnny Storm's will to include "Spider-Man should totally be on the team," they were peers and friendly rivals with a long history together. I know Spider-Man and Wolverine have teamed up and were on the Avengers together, but Spider-Man once threw Wolverine off of Stark Tower for calling MJ dumb, I don't think they had the same relationship.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I think the idea has legs, Peter has already been a teacher to high school students before. He gets a paying job as a teacher there, sarcasm sarcasm, quips, fwips, becomes a way better science mentor to Broo than Hank.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don't know who the writer is, but that's a great idea.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Skwirl posted:

That seems kinda silly, it made sense for Johnny Storm's will to include "Spider-Man should totally be on the team," they were peers and friendly rivals with a long history together. I know Spider-Man and Wolverine have teamed up and were on the Avengers together, but Spider-Man once threw Wolverine off of Stark Tower for calling MJ dumb, I don't think they had the same relationship.

Eh, if you are worried for the moral conscience of your students there few better choices then a guy who totally didn't make a deal with the devil.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

I haven't read his comics yet, but that guy is loving hilarious and knows a poo poo-ton about comics. His podcast The Flop House is fantastic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They both like redheads, though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

Actually in recent years Spider-Man and Wolverine have really grown close as friends.

Dan Slott had them bond a lot and talk after Dark Reign when Osborn took over. And in particular Jason Aaron did a lot of Spider-Man and Wolverine interaction (in his amazing two parter storyline which showed how Wolverine is on so many teams at once) and his Amazing Spider-Man and Wolverine series.

The description to it is "Spider-Man and Wolverine are like brothers. Only Wolverine is the troubled older brother who has done jail time, and Peter is the young kid who has all the potential in the world."
Even after Wolvie lost his healing factor the first guy he went to, to get a suit of armour was Spider-Man.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Before I checked the link I thought this was Bendis Spider-Man, but nope, it's Peter Parker, a guy who is neither a mutant nor ever particularly involved in X-Men stories. A strange pick to center a new series on, but I'm optimistic about the writer at least.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Things I like:

- Spider-Man
- Rockslide
- Stegron the Dinosaur Man
- No Quentin Quire

This book might as well just be marketed directly to me.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Blockhouse posted:

Things I like:

- Spider-Man
- Rockslide
- No Quentin Quire

Ha ha if you think Quentin won't be in it a lot.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Honestly Jean Grey's questionable hiring practices might mean that it's the only place Peter Parker can get a job.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rick posted:

Honestly Jean Grey's questionable hiring practices might mean that it's the only place Peter Parker can get a job.

He has his own corporation now.

Only Peter Parker would hire Peter Parker.

radlum
May 13, 2013
The Flop House is my favorite bad movie podcast and Elliot is amazing on it, also, he is head writer on The Daily Show, so it's not like he is just some random guy. His previous comics have been good so far so I'm very excited to see how this works out, I hope his humor can translate well in this series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

Things I like:

- Spider-Man
- Rockslide
- No Quentin Quire

Quentin Quire is dope.

I will admit Amazing Spider-Man and Wolverine is also dope. Those other bits about Spidey and Wolverine I wasn't aware of.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

He has his own corporation now.

Only Peter Parker would hire Peter Parker.

Please, Parker Industries is so going up in flames. Peter Parker cannot exist in a state of financial security for too long, the laws of writing/editorial simply demand it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Please, Parker Industries is so going up in flames.

Well duh, it employs Peter Parker.

There is a reason its the only thing that will hire him.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The original rumor was that it's actually a rotating "______ and the X-Men" series, and I still suspect that to be the case.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

The original rumor was that it's actually a rotating "______ and the X-Men" series, and I still suspect that to be the case.

I hope there's "X-Man and the X-Men."

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I don't get the part in the solicit that has the school view Peter with mistrust and suspicion. MAYBE Hank since Peter would be smart enough to figure out what Hank is doing with the Illuminati. The rest though? I don't buy it. He's an Avenger, a former member of the Future Foundation, annoying friend to Logan and he's freaking Spider-Man! Shame Kitty took off could have had a 616 Kitty/Peter romance.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There's also a great one shot called Spider-Man vs Wolverine. Even though it has some minor continuity issues (killing off Ned Leeds even though he was the main suspect of being the Hobgoblin, which led to a clusterfuck of retcons and "uh reasons" in the main Spider-books at the time), it is easily one of my favorite Spider-Man stories of all time. There was also a good "What If" a few years back called "What if Spider-Man stayed in Germany" and he basically becomes the Punisher.

quote:

Shame Kitty took off could have had a 616 Kitty/Peter romance.

He acted shocked about this when he learned of his Ultimate counterpart's history with Kitty.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Barry Convex posted:

Cable and Deadpool tried this when Cable was dragged away to X-Men, and from what I remember it kinda sucked. But if they switched it up every 6 issues, I can see that lasting a while. I practically jumped for joy when I read he wants to focus on the students who haven't been getting much attention. By and large the GH crew never did much for me, but I think there's loads that can be done with Velocidad (he's on my fantasy Reviving the New X-Men team) and I still like Eye Boy and Broo. Idie can feel free to take a year-long break as far as I'm concerned and I think/hope QQ's joining up with Cyclops.

Rockslide and the X-Men would still be a way better title, though..

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

I think/hope QQ's joining up with Cyclops.

God I hope not. I can not see Bendis writing a decent Quire. He'd either lose the endearing part of his "little punkass with a heart of gold" persona and just be an rear end in a top hat, or more likely he'd lose all his characterization and just be another head to spout witticisms like all the other new X-Kids so far.

quote:

Rockslide and the X-Men would still be a way better title, though..

Now this is something I can agree with.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'll do you one better, and it's "Rockslide and Anole: Heroes for Hire".

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Diet Poison posted:

Cable and Deadpool tried this when Cable was dragged away to X-Men, and from what I remember it kinda sucked.

Pretty sure Bob, Agent of Hydra first appeared right around then, so it's decent if just for that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You could tell Nicieza was floundering under the editorial edict that he couldn't use Cable in a book that had Cable's name on it, especially since he had Deadpool directly mention it a couple of times. I don't think that'll be the case here.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
That's it; I'm done. I am no longer buying any 'Nothing actually loving happens' Bendis books any more. I cracked, I've lost it, it's gone. Give me Abnett, Remender, Kyle & Yost, any of them, at least the story moves forward and something changes there.

(And yes, I'm aware it's minimal in any of them, but at least it isn't issue after issue where absolutely gently caress all occurs, apart from copy/pasting of Bendis female trope characters being themselves.)

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I thought both Magneto and X-Force were good this week. X-Force had some awesome splash pages.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mahasamatman posted:

I thought both Magneto and X-Force were good this week. X-Force had some awesome splash pages.

Magneto was loving awesome this week. I'm glad they're dragging out Magneto's inevitable return to evil a bit more, with even him being disgusted by the Skull's actions. And geez if there's one fight I've been looking forward to, it is another Magneto vs Skull encounter.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Shockeh posted:

That's it; I'm done. I am no longer buying any 'Nothing actually loving happens' Bendis books any more. I cracked, I've lost it, it's gone. Give me Abnett, Remender, Kyle & Yost, any of them, at least the story moves forward and something changes there.

(And yes, I'm aware it's minimal in any of them, but at least it isn't issue after issue where absolutely gently caress all occurs, apart from copy/pasting of Bendis female trope characters being themselves.)

I agree excepting Remender. Uncanny Avengers is a terrible boring slog of a book to read, and AXIS so far sounds incredibly dumb. I think X-Force is the only X book I'm reading right now. Si Spurrier is pretty whats up.

e: WHOA drat, forgot Magneto, that book is awesome too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Barry Convex posted:

Scarlett Witch and the Xmen lasts one issue when they run her out of school on a rail.

Captain America and the Xmen where he's their PE teacher, forcing them to do old timey exercises.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Captain America and the Xmen where he's their PE teacher, forcing them to do old timey exercises.
Oh man can we have a parody of that stupid twitter/nascar speech the woman gave to Captain America only it is some random X-brat prattling at him about crossfit and the paleo diet? I wanna see Captain America throw a tire at a kid.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

twistedmentat posted:

Scarlett Witch and the Xmen lasts one issue when they run her out of school on a rail.

Scarlett Witch comes in and says "no . . . more . . HOMEWORK!!" and it becomes a Brady Bunch episode where comical things happen because no one does their homework and eventually she has to commit genocide against the Inhumans or something to restore order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Oh man can we have a parody of that stupid twitter/nascar speech the woman gave to Captain America only it is some random X-brat prattling at him about crossfit and the paleo diet? I wanna see Captain America throw a tire at a kid.

I really want a Quentin Quire / Captain America team-up book now.

• Locked thread