Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm hankering after some good cyberpunk thing to watch. In my stupid head I'm imagining a cross between Akira, Serial Experiments Lain and Blade Runner. I know this doesn't exist, but what is there that's close-ish? Bonus points for being atmospheric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ergo Proxy, I guess, maybe?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sakurazuka posted:

Ergo Proxy, I guess, maybe?

He said good cyberpunk. :v:

To be serious, you're right in that it's probably pretty close to what he's describing, but that show thinks it has so much more to say than it does. I found it to be an eye-rolling snore fest.

Paperhouse posted:

I'm hankering after some good cyberpunk thing to watch. In my stupid head I'm imagining a cross between Akira, Serial Experiments Lain and Blade Runner. I know this doesn't exist, but what is there that's close-ish? Bonus points for being atmospheric

The Ghost in the Shell franchise if you by some twist of fate have not seen it. Doesn't completely fit what you're describing but it's good cyberpunk at least.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Paperhouse posted:

If for some weird reason you haven't seen Texhnolyze, you might want to start with that.

Also, though not strictly cyberpunk, Psycho-Pass fits with your criteria and has a second season starting up next month.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Redcrimson posted:

Also, though not strictly cyberpunk, Psycho-Pass fits with your criteria and has a second season starting up next month.

Che Delilas posted:

He said good cyberpunk. :v:

To be serious, you're right in that it's probably pretty close to what he's describing, but that show thinks it has so much more to say than it does. I found it to be an eye-rolling snore fest.

Seriously though, Psycho-Pass was terrible and even if you've already seen it you're better off watching Ghost in the Shell again instead.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm going to throw out a nod for Armitage III, which I remember being fairly good in that trashy 90's sci-fi anime way.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Psycho-Pass is actually a good show. It doesn't make a very good first impression, though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Nate RFB posted:

I'm going to throw out a nod for Armitage III, which I remember being fairly good in that trashy 90's sci-fi anime way.

I have heaps and heaps of nostalgia for this movie, being as it's one of the first anime I ever saw that I could make any sense of. I wouldn't call it very atmospheric, but it's worth watching.

Stick to the sub unless you want to hear Kiefer Sutherland at his very worst. Oh god.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Psycho-Pass and Ghost in the Shell are both series whose reach exceeds their grasp. The difference is that Psycho-Pass is funny and ironic and anti-authoritarian about it, and Ghost in the Shell is none of those things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Che Delilas posted:

I have heaps and heaps of nostalgia for this movie, being as it's one of the first anime I ever saw that I could make any sense of. I wouldn't call it very atmospheric, but it's worth watching.

Stick to the sub unless you want to hear Kiefer Sutherland at his very worst. Oh god.

Or better yet; see the actual four-episode Armitage III OVA and not the butchered-down Poly-Matrix movie. It has a different dub cast, so no Kiefer Sutherland and Juliet Lewis. You do get Bryan Cranston instead though.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Well, with only 3 anime im enjoying this season i need some suggestions for things i might like.

I havent seen the majority of things, and this list is a list of stuff i sat down and watched all the way through or am currently watching.

Past and current faves run the gamut from:

The Stuff i lose my mind over ( absolutely love )
Code Geass
Aldnoah.Zero
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
No. 6

Favorites that i enjoy:
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Black Butler
Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist
Mushishi
Fullmetal Alchemist
Free! Iwatobi Swim Club/Eternal Summer
Sword Art Online
Un-Go
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Guilty Pleasures ( Stuff that is bad but i still like )
Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi
Valvrave the Liberator
Samurai Flamenco
Uraboku
Ghost 07

Apologies if this list is useless. Any suggestions would be helpful. Im willing to give just about anything the 3 episode test, and need stuff to fill the time. I do admit a lot of this runs the gamut between genres and even styles of storytelling, so im not sure how much the list will help.

Only things i absolutely wont watch are things with 200+ episodes ( Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, basically the super long series ) . I dont need to fill time THAT badly.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Is Fullmetal Alchemist the 2003 series or Brotherhood? Because if you haven't seen Brotherhood, I highly recommend that.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

TARDISman posted:

Is Fullmetal Alchemist the 2003 series or Brotherhood? Because if you haven't seen Brotherhood, I highly recommend that.

Seen both. Was a pretty big fan of both too. Not something id revisit, but was an enjoyable ride.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Talkc posted:

Well, with only 3 anime im enjoying this season i need some suggestions for things i might like.

I havent seen the majority of things, and this list is a list of stuff i sat down and watched all the way through or am currently watching.

Code Geass
Aldnoah.Zero
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet Kimi
No. 6

Favorites that i enjoy:
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Black Butler
Mushishi
Fullmetal Alchemist
Sword Art Online
Un-Go
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi
Valvrave the Liberator
Samurai Flamenco
Uraboku
Ghost 07

Apologies if this list is useless. Any suggestions would be helpful. Im willing to give just about anything the 3 episode test, and need stuff to fill the time. I do admit a lot of this runs the gamut between genres and even styles of storytelling, so im not sure how much the list will help.

Only things i absolutely wont watch are things with 200+ episodes ( Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, basically the super long series ) . I dont need to fill time THAT badly.

Try Attack on Titan.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Talkc posted:

You should be watching Haikyuu!! yo. Even if the subs are pretty bad.

If you're cool with manga, +C: Sword and Cornett might be something worth checking out, in that it's super gay (but not really really), and that's more for flavor for the plot about medieval fantasy politics.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Everyone should watch everything by Masaaki Yuasa (Ping Pong, Tatami Galaxy, Kemonozume, etc)

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Paperhouse posted:

The answer will always be Cyber City Oedo 808.

Make sure you get the original Manga Studios dub for extra freshness.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Talkc posted:

Code Geass
Aldnoah.Zero
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
No. 6

Favorites that i enjoy:
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Black Butler
Mushishi
Fullmetal Alchemist
Sword Art Online
Un-Go
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi
Valvrave the Liberator
Samurai Flamenco
Uraboku
Ghost 07

Here's my usual plug for Tiger & Bunny because it owns a whole bunch and everyone should see it.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Talkc posted:

Since you seem to like Giant Robots and bromance, you might want to try Star Driver.

Eureka Seven might work for you too.

Also if you aren't watching Love Stage this season, you probably should be.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Talkc posted:

Samurai Flamenco

Excuse you?

Also watch Tsuritama based on the overall themes of the stuff you listed. It's about bros being bros who do cute things.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

The answer will always be Cyber City Oedo 808.

Make sure you get the original Manga Studios dub for extra freshness.

This but inironically

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

glomkettle posted:

Everyone should watch everything by Masaaki Yuasa (Ping Pong, Tatami Galaxy, Kemonozume, etc)

Uznare posted:

Also watch Tsuritama based on the overall themes of the stuff you listed. It's about bros being bros who do cute things.

They speak the truth.

Redcrimson posted:

Also if you aren't watching Love Stage this season, you probably should be.

Why would you do this to someone? Don't watch Love Stage.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

Talkc posted:

Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Uznare posted:

Excuse you?

Well i was TOLD the things on my guilty pleasure list are bad. I don't think so myself ( I Love Samomenco! )

Watching the first episode of Tsuritama. Makes me think of "Kono Danshi Uchuujin to Tatakaemasu" and similar stuff.

The Devil Tesla posted:

I actually watched 3 episodes of Love Stage. It got rapey :(

Redcrimson posted:

Since you seem to like Giant Robots and bromance, you might want to try Star Driver.

Eureka Seven might work for you too.

I had watched some episodes of Star Driver and it was okay. Makes me think of Gurren Lagann in a way.

Ill check out Eureka Seven.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Talkc posted:

Ill check out Eureka Seven.

If you normally use the three episode test, I suggest giving this series one or two more. The first couple episodes are pretty horrible but fortunately not representative of the series as a whole.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never really found the first couple of episodes of E7 horrible, but it's definitely a slow starter.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, I agree it started kinda slow for me as well, but I don't remember thinking it was anything like horrible.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I never got past the first three E7 episodes, but it's possible that it just isn't my kind of thing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I liked every episode. Especially the ones where Norb did not take baths.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Chas McGill posted:

I never got past the first three E7 episodes, but it's possible that it just isn't my kind of thing.

You're a weirdo who is averse to anything with kids in it, so you'd never like E7 as amazing as it is. Same with stuff like Denno coil.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The huge glaring problem with the first ten episodes of Eureka Seven is unquestionably the kids, though.

It's just that as it progresses it's also spectacularly good at writing teenagers and immature/selfish adults.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

The early episodes of E7 always struck me as "FLCL, but not on quite as many drugs".

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Talkc posted:

Well i was TOLD the things on my guilty pleasure list are bad. I don't think so myself ( I Love Samomenco! )

Enjoying something that other people don't is not a guilty pleasure. A guilty pleasure is when you enjoy something despite knowing yourself that it's bad.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Enjoying something that other people don't is not a guilty pleasure. A guilty pleasure is when you enjoy something despite knowing yourself that it's bad.

Yeah, like I find Shuffle and Comic Party enjoyable in some dopey little way, even though I know they're pretty mediocre at best. There are just times when I don't want some grand moving or inspirational story I just want a really loving dumb series and both of those shows fit the bill perfectly.

You've just got a different opinion, be proud of it.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Looking for 'general lack of common sense' i.e. Kyousougiga, FLCL. Epic i.e. Gurren Lagan, or psychological i.e. Lain, Psycho-Pass. Any tips?

Edit: Found a bunch on the wiki yay.

Any tips where to find Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji?

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 11, 2014

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Hare+Guu is pretty good on the general lack of common sense, it's very fun with lots of energy. Urusei Yatsura might be more laid back but it's pretty much the progenitor of things like Kyousougiga and FLCL. Give it a try it's a classic, at the very lest give the second movie by Oshii a watch.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Never heard of either, thanks!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Genocyber posted:

This but inironically

:hfive: These other jackasses wouldn't recognise a goddamn cyberpunk if one jumped up and bit them on the end of their loving dicks.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 11, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ShadowMoo posted:

Looking for 'general lack of common sense' i.e. Kyousougiga, FLCL. Epic i.e. Gurren Lagan, or psychological i.e. Lain, Psycho-Pass. Any tips?

Edit: Found a bunch on the wiki yay.

Any tips where to find Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji?

Dead Leaves is required watching if you haven't seen it, and along those lines Redline is a must for everyone forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Is Naruto shippuden worth watching? Never touched it and I finished off the original series a long rear end time ago.

• Locked thread