Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

I ask in part because I recently picked up a copy of Faust's s/t, which comes in clear vinyl, and it sound perfectly fine to me.

Wronkos fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Wronkos posted:

I ask in part because I recently picked up a copy of Faust's s/t, which comes in clear vinyl, and it sound perfectly fine to me.

Here's the thing that most people forget: black records are colored records. Without any further help, records would be clear if they didn't add black coloring to it. Now I've heard a variety of reasons why people claim that colored vinyl sounds worse than black vinyl, but I can't really substantiate it, and it's hard to tell what's true and what's just audiophile made-up goobledegook to justify some weird opinion.

I've heard that sometimes, there's more impurities with the pellets they use to color records anything but black, but who knows. There's so many things that could make a pressing bad that it could be false positives.

In my opinion, color vinyl has yet to let me down.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Wronkos posted:

Do colored/clear records have lower sound quality than traditional records?

Not necessarily. If there's any issue with the sound it's not directly due to the use of colored or clear vinyl. It's usually because there is less quality control on them or they used lovely vinyl that was swept off the floor or something.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
the color makes it spin flat actually. all clear records have to have an extra heavy label to keep them flat. fun fact.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I found this out when I bought some clear records with standard labels and they'd actually float off my turntable.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Well, yeah, black especially absorbs more light, making it heavier unlike clear where it just passes through and into your player

It's fairly basic science

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like my colour, splatter and picture discs and the fact that the subject annoys some people just adds more to my enjoyment of them.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
hahaha yeah exactly that i agree

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I love all different colors of vinyl. Black is cool too, but get a sweet splatter on there and I'm way into it. My favorite looking record is The Bad Wife by Julie Christmas:

Picture doesn't really do it justice. Colored splatter on clear vinyl is rad.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
If black is better, it would be only because of the bulk quantities of black material available allow for greater quality control than colored vinyl. The only reason they are black is to mimic the original color of shellac records.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
it's to make them spin flat i was pretty clear about that :confused:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

DammitJanet posted:

I'll take you up on this offer. Have to look through my collection tonight and see what I'm willing to part with. If I have nothing worth trading I can just paypal you.

Defleshed can vouch for my record trading rep. :)

DamitJanet is a solid trader!

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Would anyone in this thread be interested in doing a mass record trade or pay-it-forward style exchange? If so, I'm happy to orchestrate it separate from the thread (to reduce cluttery posts) and start the proceedings. If you're into it, fill out this Google form and if enough people respond, I'll start the engines.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lgj_ifQW7DbvhW7dzU8W80rONsz-MQdfZQmxhNiruYU/viewform?usp=send_form

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You may want to be more specific about the parameters of exchange. Like, most of what I've got that anyone else would even care about doesn't actually exist. The majority of my collection is stuff scummed from goodwills and is worth 99 cents at most, made up of stuff that most people already have five copies of or wouldn't want in the first place.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Well, there's always an element of risk/surprise in an exchange, but if we do a straight exchange I would pair email addresses up and you guys could get into as much or as little detail as you like before trading; if we did pay-it-forward style (what I think would be cool is that) it would take a certain level of honesty and judgment in appraising the value of what you have received and deciding what to send off to the next person in line (if your entire collection actually does consist of 99c goodwill records, and you can't find anything that matches the value of what you get in the mail, you can always send the same record you received off to the next person... (or just don't participate, but that's no fun)).

Then again, everyone here is a record collecting goon (goony record collector?), so it could be a disaster. We'll never know unless we try!

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 11, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

stay depressed posted:

the color makes it spin flat actually. all clear records have to have an extra heavy label to keep them flat. fun fact.

Turntables with automatic size censors do not like clear albums. I realized this when I first tried to play David Bowie's Sound + Vision. I thought the turntable was hosed up.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be up for a record exchange if it wasn't for the insane postage from/to Aus. I'd buy a record and send it directly to someone from wherever they live to save on postage.

We could have everyone buy a record for someone else at the value of $$something dollars

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

bowmore posted:

I'd be up for a record exchange if it wasn't for the insane postage from/to Aus. I'd buy a record and send it directly to someone from wherever they live to save on postage.

We could have everyone buy a record for someone else at the value of $$something dollars

I'm in for this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If any of you New England people are reading this Newbury Comics is having a buy two get on free sale on all records. Today I picked up Manipulator by Ty Segall, The Big Dream by David Lynch, and the new mono reissue of Revolver.

Jonny
Dec 31, 2005

How is the mono Revolver? I was thinking of picking it up but can't find it anywhere for any less than £25.

Lahar
Sep 14, 2014
My latest haul from my vacation in France. Most of them for around 5€.

Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - Bluejeans & Moonbeams
Lethe - When Dreams Become Nightmares
Marc Almond - The Stars We Are
Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
The Mothers - Fillmore East - June 1971
Japan - Quiet Life
Diamanda Galás - The Divine Punishment
Jenny Piccolo - Information Battle To Denounce The Genocide
To Rococo Rot - Lips

+ some Black Metal and Electronica CDs

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Jonny posted:

How is the mono Revolver? I was thinking of picking it up but can't find it anywhere for any less than £25.

All the new reissues are great. They did it pure analog, so that's cool. And the records are really clean.

As for Revolver in mono, it's much better than the stereo mix. There's a few mix errors in stereo, and overall, the mono just hits harder with better bass and more cohesive sound.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have 4 albums pre-ordered and now I'm sad I won't get them until the end of October or later.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Here's a bunch of stuff I've bought over the past month or so that I've been meaning to post:

Benjamin Booker - s/t (local hometown hero)
Beyond the Black Rainbow OST
Brian Eno - Ambient 4
Can - Tago Mago + Ege Bamyasi (reissues)
Courtney Barnett - A Sea of Split Peas
Crime - Murder By Guitar
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (60s press)
FKA Twigs - LP1
Gun Club - Miami
Jill Jones - s/t
Kraftwerk - Autobahn (Australian pressing)
Missy Elliott - The Cookbook
Neil Hamburger - America's Funnyman
Neneh Cherry - Raw Like Sushi
Nina Hagen Band - s/t
Siouxsie and the Banshees - The Scream (UK press)
Smokey and the Bandit OST
Surf Nazis Must Die! OST
Television - Marquee Moon (1st press)
Ty Segall - Manipulator (black vinyl version but I got it signed at his show the other night)

And the Beatles mono box but I was too lazy to take a picture of all of those. Pretty blown away by how nice they all look and sound other than the booklet in my copy of Magical Mystery Tour coming ripped out of the spine, but I guess that's just part of the ~authenticity~. Oh and they kinda botched the locked groove on Sgt Pepper which sucks.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Surfingelectrode posted:

Oh and they kinda botched the locked groove on Sgt Pepper which sucks.

what did they do to it

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
"The first series were made from communist vinyl salvaged from the Budapest flea markets."

http://vinylize.com/pages/philosophy

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wilbur Swain posted:

"The first series were made from communist vinyl salvaged from the Budapest flea markets."

http://vinylize.com/pages/philosophy
:argh: gently caress those guys, I'd rather the communist vinyl

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Seriously, gently caress their stupid glasses those records were probably awesome.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Don't worry, the Hungarian version of Sing Along With Mitch sucks just as bad as the Wrstern one.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

1000 umbrellas posted:

No one should be without the albums that are important to them!

A couple pages back, I complained about the crazy increase in price for available copies of "Sea Change" by Beck. 1000 umbrellas took pity on me and hooked a brotha up for the original price (having an extra copy). A truly super dude. I came back home after an exhausting few days to see:

He kindly slipped a copy of "Chemtrails" in there (I'd forgotten what a great track that is) and my copy of "Beyond the Black Rainbow" and Tycho's "Past is Prologue" had also arrived.

In a strange coincidence, I had problems fitting both Black Rainbow and the Tycho record in the sleeves I've used to hold countless other double (and even triple) LPs. Black Rainbow just has a super-thick spine and I ended up having to fit it in backwards. The Tycho album is a nice 2LP package with printed inner sleeves, but is thick, very stiff, and not very glossy, so nothing slides easily. The slits on the gatefold are also very thin, so hard to fit the records in. Oh well - a weird situation, but I suppose deal and today I'm a happier man. Thanks again, 1000 umbrellas! :slick:

All this helps soften the blow of the loss of my "Endtroducing..." a few weeks ago after my wife dropped it from a few feet off the ground and it somehow immediately broke.

You win some, you lose some.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

bowmore posted:

:argh: gently caress those guys, I'd rather the communist vinyl

go to a flea market in europe then. there's always piles of them in the 50 cent boxes.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Davincie posted:

go to a flea market in europe then. there's always piles of them in the 50 cent boxes.

I'd be disappointed if I went to an Eastern European flea market and didn't see a bunch of Herb Alpert and Neil Diamond records. Shocked and disappointed.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Whoa, everybody, don't miss out on the limited edition color vinyl 180 gram reissue of David Bowie's version of Peter and the Wolf! :sax:

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.
Finally, a non-Homefill edition!

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

BigFactory posted:

I'd be disappointed if I went to an Eastern European flea market and didn't see a bunch of Herb Alpert and Neil Diamond records. Shocked and disappointed.

My sister went to Europe recently and I asked her to bring back some interesting records. What does she bring back? Some Chinese Herb Alpert albums.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

luncheon meat posted:

My sister went to Europe recently and I asked her to bring back some interesting records. What does she bring back? Some Chinese Herb Alpert albums.

Were they Chinese pressings of Herb Alpert albums or were they the Chinese equivalent of Herb Alpert?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Bought the Acid Rap bootleg on pink vinyl. 1000 copies, 250 on the pink. There is yellow clear and black. I had high hopes for the sleeve, but it kind of a lovely trace job (those eyes). The labels on the discs range from obvious bootleg to passable. Haven't had a chance to listen yet.

http://www.vinyl-digital.com/en/Hip-Hop-Rap/Acid-Rap-Pink-Vinyl.html?listtype=search&searchparam=acid%20rap

lol at the + digital version being that it's a free mixtape.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 18, 2014

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Mondo "acquires" Death Waltz. Millions of hipsters cry out in pain and are suddenly silenced.

http://pitchfork.com/news/56687-coo...er-releases-due

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

DammitJanet posted:

Mondo "acquires" Death Waltz. Millions of hipsters cry out in pain and are suddenly silenced.

http://pitchfork.com/news/56687-coo...er-releases-due

That 2001 gatefold looks really cool. I didn't even know there was an unused score for that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

wa27 posted:

That 2001 gatefold looks really cool. I didn't even know there was an unused score for that movie.

That is cool. Obviously the record should be a monolith-shaped slab of vinyl though :colbert: