Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The supplemental (anything, really) data sections - or maybe just junk sections; I'm not too well-versed on them - of the JPEG and MP3 formats are perfectly placed so that you can put them in each other's 'blind spots', as it were, all within a single file. Give it one extension/header/data type and the browser will make a good faith effort to render it as such. Change the extension and load it in the appropriate player and you get the other payload.

There's probably software to encode and decode magic eye images, but it's the waveform being an image as well that makes Everdraed a witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Aphex Twin and the dudes behind Marble Hornets have hidden poo poo in spectrographs a few times as well so it can't be that difficult

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
It is indeed not that difficult. Each line of pixels is a harmonic (a sinewave at a particular frequency). Each sound can be represented as a sum of sinewaves at different frequencies and volumes (Fourier analysis).

Experiment with it yourself if you want to: http://photosounder.com

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

:stonk:

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
^^^ is what I imagine makes that sound.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Laserjet 4P posted:

It is indeed not that difficult. Each line of pixels is a harmonic (a sinewave at a particular frequency). Each sound can be represented as a sum of sinewaves at different frequencies and volumes (Fourier analysis).

Experiment with it yourself if you want to: http://photosounder.com

I don't care how difficult it is to do. It is Ace that Everdraed does it, and does it well.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The supplemental (anything, really) data sections - or maybe just junk sections; I'm not too well-versed on them - of the JPEG and MP3 formats are perfectly placed so that you can put them in each other's 'blind spots', as it were, all within a single file. Give it one extension/header/data type and the browser will make a good faith effort to render it as such. Change the extension and load it in the appropriate player and you get the other payload.

There's probably software to encode and decode magic eye images, but it's the waveform being an image as well that makes Everdraed a witch.

GIFs and MP3s lends themselves to this really well because (I'm probably going to get this around the wrong way) a GIF has all of the information at the start of the file, and then a signal to tell the program that it's open in that the file ends at $address. The rest of the file is then ignored. MP3s are the reverse - everything is at the end of the file, so the program will read from the end to the signal stating the MP3 is over, and then ignore everything in front of it.

Or it's the other way around, I'm not too sure. But it's one of those.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

wanna eat those bebby pepps

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Robot Randy posted:

Aphex Twin and the dudes behind Marble Hornets have hidden poo poo in spectrographs a few times as well so it can't be that difficult

Didn't Trent Reznor use them in that ARG thingie he did a while back? Also, I want to say that the game Payday (which I did not play) hid one in the static on a radio in one mission as part of the massively complex final secret vault clue set.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Memento posted:

GIFs and MP3s lends themselves to this really well because (I'm probably going to get this around the wrong way) a GIF has all of the information at the start of the file, and then a signal to tell the program that it's open in that the file ends at $address. The rest of the file is then ignored. MP3s are the reverse - everything is at the end of the file, so the program will read from the end to the signal stating the MP3 is over, and then ignore everything in front of it.

Or it's the other way around, I'm not too sure. But it's one of those.

It's something like that. I think most programs just look for the header indicated by the file name, regardless of where that appears in the file. I know you can concatenate image, archive, and audio files together, and they will open as the correct format in the correct program if you give them the correct file extension. It's easy to do too, you just copy /b file1+file2 dest at a command prompt, and you can add +file3 and so on.

At least one person has (or had, I can't seem to find it right now) an avatar with a sound clip concatenated to it.

Edit: Yeah I have that too, with the same result. 3D is useless to me.
vv

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 09:18 on Sep 11, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

I have amblyopia. It is impossible for my brain to "see" these (or mostall 3D movies).
:(

Oh, that sucks. :(

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Choco1980 posted:

Didn't Trent Reznor use them in that ARG thingie he did a while back? Also, I want to say that the game Payday (which I did not play) hid one in the static on a radio in one mission as part of the massively complex final secret vault clue set.

I'm not sure if Payday did that, but Portal 2 did.

Aericura
Jun 12, 2003
I will eat your soul.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
She left her lava-proof shoes home.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

gently caress Tim Burton's Sesame St reboot.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Female protag in next Assassin's Creed confirmed.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you want a hole punched, you can't do much better than a Rape Co.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you want a hole punched, you can't do much better than a Rape Co.

This is so true it hurts.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Leofish posted:

No no no. Far too difficult to program. Maybe if it was a guy...

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Why would you mark out a letter? It used to be Rapes Co.!

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Leofish posted:

drat right she's in rear end Creed. :heysexy:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I wonder if Everdraed could go for the ultimate irony and make it a lossless mp3.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I wonder if Everdraed could go for the ultimate irony and make it a lossless mp3.

I think a lossy MP3 is more appropriate

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
...this

this person is now my idol :allears:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Simpsons did it.

Etc.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Simpsons did it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

its a shame that loss.jpg mp3 wasn't in a lossless format.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

I wish horse jumping was like motorcycle jumping.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

mds2 posted:

I wish horse jumping was like motorcycle jumping.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Why would a lossless format fit better than a lossy format?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

FirstPersonShitter posted:

It's a shame that you didn't read just a few posts up.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

talk about finding your niche

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I hope Air Force One is haunted by the ghost of Martin Van Buren who just goes around being freaked out by the strange flying machine.

Edit:

I might be right!

Random Stranger has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Sep 12, 2014

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Random Stranger posted:

I hope Air Force One is haunted by the ghost of Martin Van Buren who just goes around being freaked out by the strange flying machine.

Edit:

I might be right!

Sadly, it's just FDR.

quote:

No, his big problem is that he's been getting longwinded visits from--we kid you not--the ghost of Franklin Delano Roosevelt; FDR appears whenever Haines is alone in Air Force One, you see, offering banal pep-talks, cutesy policy advice, and tedious anecdotes about the good old days. (""So my first piece of advice, Mr. President, is to start being strong again."")

I wonder if they used "a definite early-season contender for Most Inane Novel of 1985" as a quote for the back cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Something about the shadows around her legs sets off my "this is a shoop" radar...

• Locked thread