Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Are they still dumping all the episodes at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Toxxupation posted:

Dear Annakie how much do I rule for completing my toxx in record time

You rule so much.

Also, everyone should watch this.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Judge Clayjar posted:

i hope every one of those names gets banned

I almost toxxed myself for Orange is the New Black. I've made it to Episode 8 of Season 2. I've concluded something: It's a good show with great moments and great characters. I've found season 2 better than season 1 because it really gets into the supporting cast a lot more than season 1 did. Season 1 made nearly the entire cast (of prisoners) 'well intentioned' but got caught on the wrong side of the law. Season 2 makes some less sympathetic and that's a good thing. The one thing I think is missing is flashbacks involving the prison staff (don't spoil if this does happen).

All in all, Orange has more character development and engaging characters in it's short time, than Weeds did in 8 seasons.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Though I intended to sit down and watch the pilot for Utopia on Fox, I accidentally acquired a UK series by the same name. I figured what the hell, I'll try it anyway.

What. The. gently caress.

Has anyone seen this show? That was some crazy poo poo. Do yourself a favor and watch this pilot, and go in knowing absolutely nothing about it, like I just did, because I don't like feeling this way alone. That poo poo was off the wall bananas. Like, some hosed up poo poo.

Please, tell me someone in this thread has seen this show, and if so, should I keep watching it?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Though I intended to sit down and watch the pilot for Utopia on Fox, I accidentally acquired a UK series by the same name. I figured what the hell, I'll try it anyway.

Has anyone seen this show? That was some crazy poo poo. Do yourself a favor and watch this pilot, and go in knowing absolutely nothing about it, like I just did, because I don't like feeling this way alone. That poo poo was off the wall bananas. Like, some hosed up poo poo.

Please, tell me someone in this thread has seen this show, and if so, should I keep watching it?

Yeah, Zaggitz really hates it, so I wouldn't bring it up around him. Like seriously he just flips out if it's even mentioned

I really respect Zaggitz's opinion so I've been avoidin it like the plague

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Its the one where Lori gets sent to prison where she meets a streetwise puerto rican lass with a cold exterior, but a heart of gold; and Michael dies from cancer or something.

I really don't remember anything about the 4th season and the movie except something about a weather machine and Michael getting really fat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxeq_IwIp48

Prison Break S4 was magical.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Yes it's universally acclaimed.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I've only seen 5 minutes of Utopia, and every second of it was great.

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah, Zaggitz really hates it, so I wouldn't bring it up around him. Like seriously he just flips out if it's even mentioned

I really respect Zaggitz's opinion so I've been avoidin it like the plague

Yeah, but you have weird rules about what you will watch.

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

After never watching a single episode of SoA, or being spoiled on a single plot point, the incessant conversation about it in TVIV made me break down and start watching season 1. I'm through 5 or 6 episodes, and while it's not terrible, it's also far from good. I'm still trying to will my way through more episodes, but I feel zero compulsion to do so. Does it get better, or is this show really as mediocre as it seems?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Utopia is amazing. The writing slips a bit towards the end of series 2, but everything else remains consistently strong throughout.

Misdirecting people to the British show is probably the only good thing to come out of the Fox and Australian shows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm sure one of you crazy people will want this ridiculous thing.

http://custom.tivo.com/mega_products.html

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Uppa posted:

After never watching a single episode of SoA, or being spoiled on a single plot point, the incessant conversation about it in TVIV made me break down and start watching season 1. I'm through 5 or 6 episodes, and while it's not terrible, it's also far from good. I'm still trying to will my way through more episodes, but I feel zero compulsion to do so. Does it get better, or is this show really as mediocre as it seems?

Most agree it gets better in the second season but then goes back to mediocre in S3 and drops so much lower afterwards.

It's not worth watching.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Deadpool posted:

That seems... unnecessary.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Oh wow Legend of the Seeker is really good in season 2. How the gently caress did this get canceled?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

24TB storage, but only six tuners. I'll pass.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Is Nathan For You Real?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hemlock Grove might be the stupidest loving show I ever watched.

They ended an episode by casually mentioning a character from the first season accidentally blew himself up during seasons. Plus a female character from the first season who did almost jack poo poo I think existed just so she could be fridged for her brother who is the new sheriff in season 2. gently caress This Show!

I got 10 days to finish it and House of Cards.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Hemlock Grove might be the stupidest loving show I ever watched.

They ended an episode by casually mentioning a character from the first season accidentally blew himself up during seasons. Plus a female character from the first season who did almost jack poo poo I think existed just so she could be fridged for her brother who is the new sheriff in season 2. gently caress This Show!

I got 10 days to finish it and House of Cards.

I'd probably eat a ban if the alternative was watching Hemlock Grove.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

juche mane posted:

Is Nathan For You Real?

In what way?

The businesses are real. The owners are real. When they make the show, they don't know they're signing up for a "comedy" show. Nathan is similar to Stephen Colbert in that even though they play "themselves" - they are very much playing a specific character. In "real life" Nathan Fielder is actually married.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How many more seasons could there be after Dumb Starbucks? He went on every talk show promoting that.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's an awesome show that I love, gently caress you Occupation. I have a thread for it here. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646128

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's a genuine masterpiece of television cinematography. If you liked the pilot then stick with it, it gets more interesting and a lot darker as it goes forward. I thought the second series was absolutely on a par with the first, which was a relief. The core premise of the story is also really really interesting and thought provoking.

It was the best new drama of last year, and what little criticism that I've seen of it almost always boils down to "I'm a babby who cannot cope with dark storytelling."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

I probably don't watch nearly as much TV as some of you guys, but my HTPC setup has a 4TB hard drive and I don't think I've even burned through half of that keeping everything I've recorded over like the past year. 6 times that amount is just bonkers.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

How many more seasons could there be after Dumb Starbucks? He went on every talk show promoting that.

Yeah but in each of them he was pretty clearly over the top, especially compared to the guy who owned the coffee shop, the DJs were straight up laughing at Nathan being all serious the way the audience would while watching the final product.

The dude's basically on an Andy Kaufman level at this point and I'm pretty confident he'll come up with something ridiculous and cringe-worthy and embarrassing and hilarious that never even occurred to us.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

James Poniewozik wrote this up and it was amazing. TiVo creates $5000 DVR, reminder of your eventual mortality:

quote:

The Mega is sold on the premise of reducing this kind of anxiety: never worry about running out of room again! And maybe it does that, but at the cost of creating a new kind of anxiety. Here is three solid years worth of TV programming! And if you somehow manage to watch it all straight, without breaks for eating or sleeping or sex, your Tivo will have had enough time to record another 18 years of TV! And while you watch that, it can record 108 years! [Note: this math assumes the subsequent purchase of additional Tivo Megas, which, given that you blew $5000 on one already, is a fair enough assumption.]

Even if we achieve the singularity, even if your consciousness can be kept alive forever as a TV-watching brain in a jar, you will never, ever catch up. And that won’t happen anyway. You will die someday. You have a life to live in the meantime. You have a job to do, family to raise, an immense world to engage with. There is never enough time, and every day you have less of it. Record all the TV you want–at some point you must accept your days are numbered and you must make choices. There are things you will never see, experiences you will never have, whether they are saved on your hard drive or not.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I think its scriptted

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Annakie posted:

Remember that you need to post a 100+ word review of what you watched in the Summer Toxx thread before midnight Pacific on the 22nd. Don't make me actually have to like... use mod powers. :)

Wait what, seriously? I missed that part of the thread, or it wasn't there when I signed up.

Well whatever, I guess 100 words isn't that much, but I honestly thought I was done when I posted my thoughts as an altered Zizek quote.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
question: if for whatever crazy/dumb reason I wanted to watch Agents of Shield, which episodes could I skip?
I just watched the pilot, and it's stupid in a kind of relaxing way. Definitely not in the same league as Arrow, but not unwatchable.
and then I watched the fourth episode. Somebody else I asked said after that just skip to episode 13. Is that good advice?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Spatula City posted:

question: if for whatever crazy/dumb reason I wanted to watch Agents of Shield, which episodes could I skip?
I just watched the pilot, and it's stupid in a kind of relaxing way. Definitely not in the same league as Arrow, but not unwatchable.
and then I watched the fourth episode. Somebody else I asked said after that just skip to episode 13. Is that good advice?

You could skip all of them, but personally I enjoyed the whole show. It does get better and better and time goes on, and if you skip around you'll miss character moments and things that pay off later in the show.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Eh, I don't think there's all that much to miss in the first dozen or so episodes. The show never really deviates from the established character archetypes until way, way late in the season so it's not like tuning in at episode 12 or 13 will suddenly confuse any viewer.

If you're liking the show enough to want to watch more than just watch the whole season. The pre-TWS episodes aren't offensively awful or anything, they mostly just fluctuate between watchable and boring in my opinion. It'll help you appreciate the end of the season when the show suddenly picks up the pace, actually interesting arcs/characters are introduced, and things kind of almost matter as opposed to being pointless cases-of-the-week where our heroes triumph over some generic threat.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Spatula City posted:

After the pilot this is a good viewing order:

4 1-04 15/Oct/13 Eye Spy [Recap] [Trailer]
7 1-07 12/Nov/13 The Hub [Recap] [Trailer]
10 1-10 10/Dec/13 The Bridge [Recap]
11 1-11 07/Jan/14 The Magical Place [Recap] [Trailer]
13 1-13 04/Feb/14 T.R.A.C.K.S. [Recap] [Trailer]
14 1-14 04/Mar/14 T.A.H.I.T.I. [Recap]
15 1-15 11/Mar/14 Yes Men [Recap] [Trailer]
16 1-16 01/Apr/14 End of the Beginning [Recap]
17 1-17 08/Apr/14 Turn, Turn, Turn [Recap]
18 1-18 15/Apr/14 Providence [Recap]
19 1-19 22/Apr/14 The Only Light in the Darkness [Recap]
20 1-20 29/Apr/14 Nothing Personal [Recap]
21 1-21 06/May/14 Ragtag [Recap]
22 1-22 13/May/14 Beginning of the End [Recap]

Skips the worst episodes, still gives you enough plot

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hey, can I get a mod to edit the Danger 5 thread title? Please remove [Returns October] because well, the series has been delayed because of ISIS. No really.

quote:

Dear Fans of Danger 5,

It is with our deepest disappointment and sadness that we announce a decision has been made to delay the broadcast of Danger 5 Series 2 on SBS. This is due to unforeseen international news events and the recent ISIS actions and it’s felt in the current climate the series might not be received in the comedic spirit in which it was created.

Unfortunately this delay is completely out of our control and the entire team at Danger 5 and Dinosaur are truly devastated.

At this stage we're unaware of when Series 2 will air, but as soon as we do, you will be the first to know.

We hope that you will stick by us until this time as we do everything we can to show you what has taken the entire team thousands of hours of hard work, sweat and a few tears.

So, in the interest of making the anticipation unbearable, we will share with you (TONIGHT at 7.30pm Thursday 11 September AEST) the Official Trailer for Danger 5 Series 2.

We will be back to kill Hitler once and for all.

Love, the D5 team

Maybe change those brackets to be [Delayed] or something.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Thank you for letting Hitler win, Australia.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

Oh wow Legend of the Seeker is really good in season 2. How the gently caress did this get canceled?

It was a syndicated action/adventure show in 2010 that, in many places, aired against football. It never stood a chance.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

drunkill posted:

Hey, can I get a mod to edit the Danger 5 thread title? Please remove [Returns October] because well, the series has been delayed because of ISIS. No really.

Maybe change those brackets to be [Delayed] or something.

And because you didn't link it directly, here's the Season 2 trailer of all the things we won't be seeing for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVBPGN3g14c

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I made a season 5 thread for Haven if anyone still watches it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664163

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmm so the AV Club says Z Nation isn't that bad.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Hmm so the AV Club says Z Nation isn't that bad.

The AV Club molests poodles.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DivisionPost posted:

The AV Club molests poodles.

Poodles deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

VodeAndreas posted:

And because you didn't link it directly, here's the Season 2 trailer of all the things we won't be seeing for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVBPGN3g14c

lol did Pierre get recast as an african

• Locked thread